HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey News: The State of Hockey in NY

Old
11-28-2010, 10:58 AM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
Hockey News: The State of Hockey in NY

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ey-no-fun.html

Quote:
So let’s do the math: perennially mismanaged basement dweller (the Islanders) + drastic underachiever with salary cap problems (the Devils) + the little team that just never quite can (the Sabres) + year-over-year mediocrity with little to look forward to (the Rangers).

What does that equal? A sucky time to be an NHL fan in New York.
The unadulterated, unwarranted, uneducated hate for the Rangers by Canadian media continues.

Last edited by FOXHOUND*: 11-28-2010 at 11:26 AM.
FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:01 AM
lundy

Not saying anything unusual or unfounded. The Rangers have been mediocre for the past few years. I personally don't consider being a low seed and getting knocked out early to be anything more than mediocre.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:02 AM
ruckus*

And yet, in comparison all of that is still better than all the teams in Canada.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:02 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

There are reasons I don't sub to THN anymore.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:04 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Not saying anything unusual or unfounded. The Rangers have been mediocre for the past few years. I personally don't consider being a low seed and getting knocked out early to be anything more than mediocre.
I dont take offense to the "they are mediocre" claim, because we are. But the "nothing to look forward to"? thats just an out and out lie.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:04 AM
TheZherdev

Wow that guy is a moron. Maybe he should look at the average age of our team before he starts yapping. All our top goal scorers right now havent even hit their prime... We have an elite goaltender and and superstar forward who despite being injured the has been doing fine without... Yep we have nothing to look forward too.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:08 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50

Yet again, the Rangers are being undervalued and underappreciated. I'd say we have a very bright future. On the current roster, our top 6 is:

Dubinsky: 24 years old
Anisimov: 22 years old
Callahan: 25 years old
Stepan: 20 years old

All who are perfroming adirably in their role at a young age.

In the bottom-6 you have:

Boyle: 26 years old
Prust: 26 years old

Both of whom are excelling in their role.

And on defense you have:

Staal: 23 years old
Girardi: 26 years old
Del Zotto: 20 years old
Sauer: 23 years old

And again, all are performing at a high level (with the exception of Del Zotto, but he has the tremendous upside).

And that's just on the main roster. We have a ton of young up-and-comers in the prospect pipeline. Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, MZA, Thomas, Horak, Werek, and McIlrath. Most of whom fit the team philosophy, and will play a big part in the team's future.

Kreider is the best of the bunch, and has the highest upside, with McIlrath right after. He's a big, strong kid who can skate like the wind, with hands that aren't far behind. He's a very raw talent, but with proper development, he will be a MAIN cog in the top-6, and will hopefully develop into the 1st line LW we need.

All in all, there is a very bright future here in NY, especially with the way Clark and co. have drafted the past few years.

11-28-2010, 11:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post

Yet again, the Rangers are being undervalued and underappreciated. I'd say we have a very bright future. On the current roster, our top 6 is:

Dubinsky: 24 years old
Anisimov: 22 years old
Callahan: 25 years old
Stepan: 20 years old

All who are perfroming adirably in their role at a young age.

In the bottom-6 you have:

Boyle: 26 years old
Prust: 26 years old

Both of whom are excelling in their role.

And on defense you have:

Staal: 23 years old
Girardi: 26 years old
Del Zotto: 20 years old
Sauer: 23 years old

And again, all are performing at a high level (with the exception of Del Zotto, but he has the tremendous upside).

And that's just on the main roster. We have a ton of young up-and-comers in the prospect pipeline. Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, MZA, Thomas, Horak, Werek, and McIlrath. Most of whom fit the team philosophy, and will play a big part in the team's future.

Kreider is the best of the bunch, and has the highest upside, with McIlrath right after. He's a big, strong kid who can skate like the wind, with hands that aren't far behind. He's a very raw talent, but with proper development, he will be a MAIN cog in the top-6, and will hopefully develop into the 1st line LW we need.

All in all, there is a very bright future here in NY, especially with the way Clark and co. have drafted the past few years.
Not one franchise player in the group. A whole hell of a lot of very, very good players, but no Crosby, no Kane, no Datsyuk, no Zetterberg, no Kopitar, etc. If we get Richards, we're a contender. If we don't, there's little to suggest that we'll be one anytime soon.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:35 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

At least we didnt trade away two high 1st round picks for a B+ level one demensional player. On top of that our prospects are making something of themselves unlike the local team up there who's ballihoo'd prospects cant even crack the lineup of said piss poor team. Meanwhile that team has just as much or more revenue then ours and spends just a wildly.

Yeah, not much to look forward to in Toronto either. Just a disgruntled Leaf fan who needs to pick apart someone elses minor misfortunes to make themselves feel like they're not alone.

Funny how the writer picks NY too.
NYR vs Leafs = Same situations accept NY has a little better outcome.
NJ vs Leafs = Sour grapes over playoff beat downs.
NYI vs Leafs = We wanted Tavares. (sniffles)
Buff vs Leafs = Inferiority complex of small market local rival.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

"Artem Anisimov and Derek Stepan have showed promise in spurts this year, but after them, Marc Staal and a couple of guys in the system, there’s not a lot to get excited about when it comes to the future on Broadway. Unless you like overpaying free agents."

I guess he didn't look past the ranger.com stats page to the prospects page. How about doing a segment on how it is to be a Canadian fan outside of Vancouver,not so hot EAH?

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Not one franchise player in the group. A whole hell of a lot of very, very good players, but no Crosby, no Kane, no Datsyuk, no Zetterberg, no Kopitar, etc. If we get Richards, we're a contender. If we don't, there's little to suggest that we'll be one anytime soon.
If we get ANY elite center, we'll be contenders. Richards would be a great fit.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:47 AM
DutchShamrock

Ok, if we have nothing to look forward to than neither does 2/3 of the league. Montreal doesn't have that next star, Subban is overrated. Toronto would with Seguin but I guess they took lessons on mismanagement from the New York area. Calgary is on par with the Isles. A joke. Vancouver doesn't have any future stars in the Dubinsky or younger category, so if we can't count those players as a promising future than neither can the Canucks. Edmonton has a bright future true, they get to look forward to losing their entire top line to free agency in 7 years. Hopefully they all come to New York state so THN has something to write about.

Whoops, looks like I forgot about Ottawa, just like everyone else! Wonder how they'll do when Alfredson leaves and another scrub is in their crease. Pretty sad when they miss Lalime and Emery.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:06 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:

Couldn't disagree more.

Totally agree about getting Richards though. I almost feel like he's a necessity at this point.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

How about we do "state of hockey in Canada." Hmmm let's see: Calgary, Toronto, and Edmonton are all cellar-dwellers, Ottawa is mediocre, and only Montreal and Vancouver are worth a damn at this point. 3 out of 4 of NY teams are competitive every year as compared to 2 out of 6 in Canada.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:08 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Stupid article. He might as well work for the NY Post.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
If we get ANY elite center, we'll be contenders. Richards would be a great fit.
What other elite center is a realistic possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post

Couldn't disagree more.

Totally agree about getting Richards though. I almost feel like he's a necessity at this point.
Lundqvist wasn't mentioned in that post. Of course he's a franchise player, but he's already entering his prime, and he's a franchise player at the least important position in today's game. The one arguable one is Staal, and I've heard that argument before. Don't agree with it. It's exactly why we need Richards so much. Teams that build the right way, that's their first priority, filling that role. We waited till the end.

Also, the article is definitely second-rate. I just like pointing out what I perceive to be fallacies.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:18 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Was just pointing out that with an elite center, this team has potetial to be elite itself.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Was just pointing out that with an elite center, this team has potetial to be elite itself.
Fair enough. I agree. It's just a little bit ridiculous that it was allowed to get to the point that the team's chances rest on the possibility of acquiring someone VIA trade or free agency instead of filling that highly important role from within. The only realistic trade/free agency option is Richards.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:24 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
What a joke of an article. I hate non-NYers commenting on hockey, they are clueless. This is why I never read THN.

11-28-2010, 12:38 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Fair enough. I agree. It's just a little bit ridiculous that it was allowed to get to the point that the team's chances rest on the possibility of acquiring someone VIA trade or free agency instead of filling that highly important role from within. The only realistic trade/free agency option is Richards.
Outside of the draft, trade and free agency are our only options! Whether you think they should have done a complete rebuild (that's another story ENTIRELY), the team didn't benefit from drafting in the top 5 and getting that center. FWIW, I think they've done a great job getting Artie and Step out of the 2nd round.

I recognize that we have no elite talent in the pipeline, and that's going to hamstring us in the end. I've argued that MANY times. But I wonder what you would have advocated the team do differently.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

3 points away from home ice advantage in the playoffs and a top 5 ranked prospect pool.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Outside of the draft, trade and free agency are our only options! Whether you think they should have done a complete rebuild (that's another story ENTIRELY), the team didn't benefit from drafting in the top 5 and getting that center. FWIW, I think they've done a great job getting Artie and Step out of the 2nd round.

I recognize that we have no elite talent in the pipeline, and that's going to hamstring us in the end. I've argued that MANY times. But I wonder what you would have advocated the team do differently.
I've been asking for a complete rebuild for a long time.

But I'm done asking, because it's too late. Now you have to try and move forward, because you have Lundqvist and Gaborik both in their late 20s.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:59 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:

Lundqvist wasn't mentioned in that post. Of course he's a franchise player, but he's already entering his prime, and he's a franchise player at the least important position in today's game. The one arguable one is Staal, and I've heard that argument before. Don't agree with it. It's exactly why we need Richards so much. Teams that build the right way, that's their first priority, filling that role. We waited till the end.

Also, the article is definitely second-rate. I just like pointing out what I perceive to be fallacies.
Seriously? Do you really think goalies are the least important position in hockey? 99.9% of the world would say the opposite.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Losing should never be an option.

They've drafted very well from their position every year post-lockout.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:02 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZherdev View Post
Seriously? Do you really think goalies are the least important position in hockey? 99.9% of the world would say the opposite.
Antii ****ing Niemi won a cup. If you have enough depth, any plug in the crease can get you a cup.