HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson is now a matter of "when" rather than "if"

Old
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 500
The advantages of a good 4th line are 2 fold, IMO:

* your other 3 lines are fresher in the 3rd period. The extra rest allows your players to cover more ice given the same amount of ice time and the same fatigue level (as on avg they have 150 seconds to recover instead of 100) - very useful for a team whose forwards' modus operandi is forecheck and backcheck hard, and over the course of 82 regular season games and 20+ playoff games potentially.

* opposition is less likely to try and take advantage of your weak 4th line by sending their best players out there - Glass, Desbiens etc... have the team's lowest quality of competition while strangely Bliznak and Perrault are among the highest - its certainly not because AV has been sending them out there against the other teams' best, its because the team throws their better players on the ice when they see our 4th line go on for a shift - probably a trend around the league that makes complete sense, IMO.

At this point the team has what i would consider 11 that can be part of the makeup of 4 strong lines. The idea now should be to try and find 2 more who can play at this level - IMHO it isn't Desbiens or Rypien and obviously the coach didn't feel it was Bliznak or Schaefer. Perrault is currently auditioning and Bolduc will resume his audition soon - I don't see it in either of them. Oreskovich hasn't gotten an audition yet and considering he's big, fast, young and has NHL experience, certainly should be given a chance next. Finally, Hodgson's performance to date by all accounts seems to indicate it is reasonable to assume he will be able to cross the chasm between the AHL and the NHL this year.

Are Canucks able to call up Hodgson right now, cap wise? It seems they can now that Schaefer has been waived and if Rypien is placed on LTIR, although they would exceed the 23 man roster when Bolduc returns.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Last night changed my opinion on Hodgson playing in the bottom 6. If we use our lines the way we did last night and have Hodgson between say Torres and Hansen and they're playing 10+ minutes and he can get some second unit PP time it's fine to bring him up in the new year imo.

We could easily be the best 4 line team in the NHL with Hodgson replacing Perreult and Rypien gone.
I actually thing this is what the Canucks are planning.

With the line shuffling and Gillis talking about how management and coaching staff took a hard look at what they had and where players fit on this team. It seems to me that they are going to play the 4th line more. Hansen is is the perfect 3rd and 4th liner. You add hodgson in the mix.. wow... Cody can play lots of different situations, 3rd , 4th, pp time.

Sedin sedin Burrows

Raymond kesler Samuellson

Torres Malholtra Hodgson

Hansen Bolduc Glass

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
The advantages of a good 4th line are 2 fold, IMO:

* your other 3 lines are fresher in the 3rd period. The extra rest allows your players to cover more ice given the same amount of ice time and the same fatigue level (as on avg they have 150 seconds to recover instead of 100) - very useful for a team whose forwards' modus operandi is forecheck and backcheck hard, and over the course of 82 regular season games and 20+ playoff games potentially.

* opposition is less likely to try and take advantage of your weak 4th line by sending their best players out there - Glass, Desbiens etc... have the team's lowest quality of competition while strangely Bliznak and Perrault are among the highest - its certainly not because AV has been sending them out there against the other teams' best, its because the team throws their better players on the ice when they see our 4th line go on for a shift - probably a trend around the league that makes complete sense, IMO.

At this point the team has what i would consider 11 that can be part of the makeup of 4 strong lines. The idea now should be to try and find 2 more who can play at this level - IMHO it isn't Desbiens or Rypien and obviously the coach didn't feel it was Bliznak or Schaefer. Perrault is currently auditioning and Bolduc will resume his audition soon - I don't see it in either of them. Oreskovich hasn't gotten an audition yet and considering he's big, fast, young and has NHL experience, certainly should be given a chance next. Finally, Hodgson's performance to date by all accounts seems to indicate it is reasonable to assume he will be able to cross the chasm between the AHL and the NHL this year.

Are Canucks able to call up Hodgson right now, cap wise? It seems they can now that Schaefer has been waived and if Rypien is placed on LTIR, although they would exceed the 23 man roster when Bolduc returns.
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Tambellini
Hodgson - Malhotra - Samuelsson
Torres - Schaefer/Bolduc - Hansen
??

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
This is a misconception between some of the Canuck fans. If the 4th line plays 10 minutes a game, that would leave 50 minutes split among the Sedin, Kesler and Malhotra line, which averages out to be 16-17 minutes per line. Both the Kesler and the Sedin line have each proven they can handle 19-20 minutes a game. Malhotra has been able to play 18 minutes a game in the past. It won't make them any fresher to play fewer minutes.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
I'm torn on whether or not to recall Cody. We're finally in a position to be patient with prospects, and I can't help but thinking back to Ryan Kesler. He stepped into the NHL in 03/04 and also got some time on the Moose before getting a full AHL season--in which he put up 30+ goals--in during the lockout. He didn't translate that offensive success to the NHL right away, but that year did a lot of good for his development. So I'm wondering if it is better to give Hodgson a taste to see how it is, or let him continue to star with the Moose.

OTOH, if he is the best player going on the Moose right now, it's good to reward that type of play.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 08:57 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
This is a misconception between some of the Canuck fans. If the 4th line plays 10 minutes a game, that would leave 50 minutes split among the Sedin, Kesler and Malhotra line, which averages out to be 16-17 minutes per line. Both the Kesler and the Sedin line have each proven they can handle 19-20 minutes a game. Malhotra has been able to play 18 minutes a game in the past. It won't make them any fresher to play fewer minutes.
Ice time doesn't have to be spread linearly between the centres. There will be situations where the team will have two of them on the ice - Kesler with Henrik on the PP, Kesler and Malhotra for a defensive zone draw, Malhotra double shifting to give the fourth line a boost, etc.

Teams with centre depth like Pittsburgh and Chicago last season had no problem getting four centres (including three high quality centremen) more than 10 minutes per game.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:47 PM
JuniorNelson

It seems like Hodgson finishing the year with the Canucks is a real possibility. I think Tambellini is keeping his spot for him.

Rypien was the only guy that would beat the poo out of you for transgressions. With him out, I think it'll be difficult for smaller forwards, like Tambellini, Raymond and Burrows. Those guys have been in the league for a while, too. It'll be harder for Hodgson.

This will be easy to chart. Once again retallitory penalties will increase, overtaxing the PK personel, whose production will fall off. Instead of hiring a tough fourth line center, Gillis will pontificate about team toughness. As the year progresses teams will play harder and run the defencemen.

I'd try to pry Pahlsson out of Columbus. Hahaha! I also want Doan or Iginla for the second line! Hahaha. Fat chance.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:36 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Cody scored the game winner and an empty netter tonight vs the Heat. Both goals in the 3rd period.

Two games vs Heat:

14 shots
+3
2g

2nd star last night (behind Heat goalie who was unreal)
3rd star tonight (behind both goalies)

So... best skater in both games it seems.

(drool)

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:40 PM
rangersfan111

he is overrated... they should definitley trade him to the rangers since they have too many centers... rangers would give them ethan werek in return....

lol im just joking ... you guys got a gem ... cody hodgosn is the best

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:25 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
??
now THAT is a lineup i can get behind. provided Tambi can keep up his play and continue building chemistry with that line, and Bolduc can play like AV seems to believe he can. looks like a team that can legitimately roll 4 lines with some skill, and compete with powerhouse teams like Detroit in the playoffs. there's no clear 'weak link' there for other teams to exploit.

i don't see Gillis putting all the pieces in order for that sort of lineup until the deadline at the earliest, if at all though. and of course it's all contingent on Hodgson keeping up his promising level of play with the Moose until then, and adjusting fairly quickly to the NHL level.

i think that above all else, having Hodgson around to potentially Center the 2nd PP unit would be a HUGE advantage in the playoffs where special teams are so vital. that 2nd unit is such a mess without a puck-distributing center available. would be a good way to get Hodgson additional minutes from the bottom-6. and having 5 natural centers in games is a really nice safety net as well in the event of injury or anything else that forces one of the other C's out.

as for the original article, and the comments from Gillis...it doesn't sound like it's going to be any time soon. potentially not even this year. sadly.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:19 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
So... best skater in both games it seems.
Not to take anything away from Cody at all, but this statement would be a lot more meaningful if one of the teams wasn't stocked with players from the Calgary Flames organization.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Hammer79

Hodgson has a bit of a log-jam in front of him with Henrik, Kesler and Malhotra manning the top three center positions. Hodgson would be miscast as a fourth line center. Either he moves to wing, or someone else does. If Burrows goes back to struggling with the Sedin line, maybe Kesler could move to RW on the top line and Hodgson could center the second line with Burrows and Raymond on his wings. I don't know if he's ready to take that role on yet, and if he does get called up he'll probably be on the wing, but it's nice to have options...

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:28 AM
topheavyhookjaw

Honestly if he does get called up, here is what I think gives us the most balanced attack with the best versatility:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Tambellini
Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson
Glass-Hodgson-Hansen
Bolduc

I see Hodgson-Glass-Tambo-Bolduc as the 4 that can rotate around the spare based on what is working, at times any one of them might need to sit and lines can be tweaked, but I think that group gives the most versatility. If Hodgson is struggling a fourth line of Hansen-Bolduc-Glass is serviceable, if Tambo is off, Hodgson slides up to wing on 2nd or 3rd line (adjusting Sammy accordingly), if Glass is struggling, Bolduc can play fourth line wing as well. I'd like more jam on the second line still, but I think given the pieces now, it is the best fit. Perreault stays til Bolduc is healthy.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:36 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
Honestly if he does get called up, here is what I think gives us the most balanced attack with the best versatility:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Tambellini
Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson
Glass-Hodgson-Hansen
Bolduc

I see Hodgson-Glass-Tambo-Bolduc as the 4 that can rotate around the spare based on what is working, at times any one of them might need to sit and lines can be tweaked, but I think that group gives the most versatility. If Hodgson is struggling a fourth line of Hansen-Bolduc-Glass is serviceable, if Tambo is off, Hodgson slides up to wing on 2nd or 3rd line (adjusting Sammy accordingly), if Glass is struggling, Bolduc can play fourth line wing as well. I'd like more jam on the second line still, but I think given the pieces now, it is the best fit. Perreault stays til Bolduc is healthy.
This is why Cody should spend most of the season in the AHL. Better for him to play 20 minutes a game down there and play the PP, PK, 4 on 4, even strength, etc.

Cody isn't going to be a 100 point guy. I think he'll top out at a PPG, but be a great 2 way player. I would say his style would be more of an older Yzerman after Bowman got him to play defense.

At the end of the season, bringing Cody up for a few games would make sense. If they want him in the playoff lineup, that would be good too, as it never hurts to have guys who can put the puck in the net on the bottom 6.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Moobles

Barring injuries (which are going to happen inevitably..) I think if Tambo doesn't produce well in the top-six should give Hodgson a shot. However, he looks good now and no need to rush it.

But if you really think about, having a player like Hodgson as expendable depth for the year is... awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
This is why Cody should spend most of the season in the AHL. Better for him to play 20 minutes a game down there and play the PP, PK, 4 on 4, even strength, etc.

Cody isn't going to be a 100 point guy. I think he'll top out at a PPG, but be a great 2 way player. I would say his style would be more of an older Yzerman after Bowman got him to play defense.

At the end of the season, bringing Cody up for a few games would make sense. If they want him in the playoff lineup, that would be good too, as it never hurts to have guys who can put the puck in the net on the bottom 6.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:35 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Hodgson has a bit of a log-jam in front of him with Henrik, Kesler and Malhotra manning the top three center positions. Hodgson would be miscast as a fourth line center. Either he moves to wing, or someone else does. If Burrows goes back to struggling with the Sedin line, maybe Kesler could move to RW on the top line and Hodgson could center the second line with Burrows and Raymond on his wings. I don't know if he's ready to take that role on yet, and if he does get called up he'll probably be on the wing, but it's nice to have options...
So our 2nd line would be a to move a guy not producing to a line with another guy not producing and expect a rookie centre to carry them?

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
So our 2nd line would be a to move a guy not producing to a line with another guy not producing and expect a rookie centre to carry them?
If Hodgson was deemed ready to take on those minutes, which is a big conditional, why wouldn't it be an option? Kesler seems to do fine with the Sedin bro's on the PP, but they keep him on that line 5 on 5 because they don't have anyone to center the 2nd line. Some nights it seems like Kesler's efforts are wasted because Raymond and Samuelsson are once again having bad games. They can't really move Malhotra up, not enough offensive upside. It's likely that Burrows will return to last year's form, but what if he doesn't? I don't think that anyone would argue that Burrows is a better forward than Kesler, Burrows just happened to have good chemistry on the Sedin line last year.

If Hodgson is ready though, then all of the sudden they have that option to move Kesler to the top line. It doesn't really matter if a Hodgson centered 2nd line has a bit of a production dip, as long as Kesler improves the output of the top line to compensate.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:51 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Not to take anything away from Cody at all, but this statement would be a lot more meaningful if one of the teams wasn't stocked with players from the Calgary Flames organization.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Sebastion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
??

this plus a bieksa trade for an upgrade at 4c, dunno who though

Sebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Catamarca Livin

Kesler has played with the Sedins in the preseason before and it was not great. They are not easy to play with. Burrows knows where to go and cycles the puck better than Kesler does. Burrows has scored the last two games and has looked good. The Sedins became world beaters when Burrows was put on their line. I believe this line is the key, if they are not producing rotate Samuelson in once in a while. Hodgson should be kept as a centerman. He can be a fourth line centerman with wingers Torres/Glass and Hansen. He would be playing with good players and would not have to change his game that much. Who knows if Hodgson is a good winger, look how Schoeder has played on the wing this year, if the Canucks plan on making him a winger he should be doing it in Manitoba. It would be a mistake in my mind, as a softer wingers need to score, is Hodgson a better winger at this point the Tambellini? I doubt it. Is he a better center than Bolduc and Perrault? i think so. If he keeps progressing bring him up with about 20-30 games left to get used to the NHL and his new role. JVR plays on the fourth line in Philly, as does Zhernev, i do not think Hodgson is above it. If his linemates were Debiens and Rypien i would say no but Torres/Glass and Hansen are NHL players.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I'm torn on whether or not to recall Cody. We're finally in a position to be patient with prospects, and I can't help but thinking back to Ryan Kesler. He stepped into the NHL in 03/04 and also got some time on the Moose before getting a full AHL season--in which he put up 30+ goals--in during the lockout. He didn't translate that offensive success to the NHL right away, but that year did a lot of good for his development. So I'm wondering if it is better to give Hodgson a taste to see how it is, or let him continue to star with the Moose.

OTOH, if he is the best player going on the Moose right now, it's good to reward that type of play.
It depends on the player and their position. I'd be more inclined to keep him down all year if he was a defenseman or a goaltender. However Cody Hodgson has played hockey already at a pretty high level and to me it's clear he's too good for the AHL. This guy should be on the NHL squad hopefully by the New Year and stick from then on. I feel he'd provide us a nice weapon on the bottom 6 for scoring and I'd like to see him play with guys like Manny Malhotra and see if he can pick up some defensive skills. Actually from what I've seen he's not bad in his own zone already and I don't think would hurt us when on the ice.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastion View Post
this plus a bieksa trade for an upgrade at 4c, dunno who though
That is a very soft team. Look at the right wingers on the top three lines. D.Sedin, Raymond, and Hodgson. Add that with taking Glass out of the lineup, and the 06-07 team is looking like the Broadstreet Bullies. If Hodgson comes up he either plays 4th line center or he takes Tambellini spot. I think Tambellini is as good or better than him as a winger so that leaves one spot. It does not need to be called the 4th center spot more like 3b. If it isTorres/Glass Hodgson Hansen that line should get almost as much ice time 5 on 5 as Torres/Glass Malhortra Samuelsson. Actually Samuelsson and Hansen can be switched around as well. 4 solid lines no holding your breath for 40 seconds while the 4th line tries to survive a shift. Yes the team has improved by adding Burrows and Tambellini and taking out Debiens and Rypien but that does not mean you keep adding softer players. Glass is a solid NHL role player and does not need to be replaced. Now he is the only forward that can play his role.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:05 AM
NYVanfan

so, a good nhl comparable for Cody on the upside is ..
Mike Richards?

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
tantalum

Hodgson is 6th in rookie scoring now. 12th in overall league goal scoring. Leads the Moose in points and goals.

Not bad for a bust.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
It depends on the player and their position. I'd be more inclined to keep him down all year if he was a defenseman or a goaltender. However Cody Hodgson has played hockey already at a pretty high level and to me it's clear he's too good for the AHL. This guy should be on the NHL squad hopefully by the New Year and stick from then on. I feel he'd provide us a nice weapon on the bottom 6 for scoring and I'd like to see him play with guys like Manny Malhotra and see if he can pick up some defensive skills. Actually from what I've seen he's not bad in his own zone already and I don't think would hurt us when on the ice.
I think he could benefit from, at the very least, a stint with the big club. Again, Ryan Kesler played in 28 games in 03/04 as he split time between the Canucks and the Moose. It could be beneficial, if only to introduce him to the pace of the NHL.

If he doesn't look out of place and, even better, he looks really good, we should keep him up.

But at the moment, I don't see a hole on the team. If Tambellini starts to falter(which I hope doesn't happen, I like the guy, but history tells us he is inconsistent) or we get another injury in the top six, Hodgson could be the guy coming up.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote