HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

If you watch Torts' last few post game comments, and I think he even mentioned it on his show, behind the bench. He loves what is going on in the locker room. Which makes you wonder with little to no presence from Drury & Prospal, I wonder is it worth the split cap hit of buying out Drury this summer?

Either then adding Richards for a #1, or a prospect for our third line center, or even signing for like 3 million like Fleischmann out of Washington who is a UFA to be our third liner. Then again we buy out Drury save a couple mill, and have Steps, Anisimov, God(boyle)...

It just seems his leadership isn't really something this team is craving anymore, and since that is probably his greatest asset to us now, I'm thinking a buyout looks more and more likely.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

No thanks.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Possible? Yes. Inevitable? No. I think it's more likely that they let his contract ride out then buy him out. Not that I don't think it is logical to buy him out, I just can't see the Rangers doing that to Drury.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
EEDAWGZ

I would like to see how drury bounces back this season before a buyout

Old
11-28-2010, 11:39 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
What would the buyout details look like?

What kind of cap hit for how long?

Old
11-28-2010, 11:47 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
What would the buyout details look like?

What kind of cap hit for how long?
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $3,716,667
2012-2013: $1,666,667

Old
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM
tjs252

Any buyout doubles the length of time the hit stays with the roster (for example a buyout of two remaining years spreads the buyout over four years).

Drury's contract is up next season. There is no benefit to buying him out now, and he will likely re-sign with us at a much more reasonable number. He's a useful player, just not a 7 mil player.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Nevermind, no way would I bother with this. Looks like he's got 1 year left after this season. Just ride it out.

We have the following coming off the books this summer.
Frolov 3 mill
White 2.6 mill
Prospal 1 mill
Fedetenko 1 mill
Eminger 1.1 mill

That's 8.7 Million, easily covers the raises for Dubi, Cally and Ani and leaves about 3.5 million for free agents to replace 2 or 3 of the guys leaving

Gilroy probably wont be resigned, so his money goes towards boyle and sauers raises.

Hopefully we have a forward or two in hartford ready and one or both of McD and PTANK

Old
11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Ke11y96

yeah I forgot it doubles the remaining years, so that would make things a lil more difficult in the long run. Much better to ride it out for the high cap hit and then move on. Just crossed my mind that maybe his added leadership takes away from what Cally, Dubi, Staal, and others have established and added to the room.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:55 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $3,716,667
2012-2013: $1,666,667
Thanks!

While it looks tempting I'd rather bite the bullet, hope he plays well, and who knows, maybe coming off this contract we can get him for 1 million per as a special teams player. He seems to like new york and there is always a need for cheap players

Old
11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Huge torts might have said the locker room attitude is great, but hes never once said leadership is something we have plenty of, we don't need drury, he has said drurys a valuable asset to this team. You buy out a guy that's past his prime, is a cancer to the locker room and a guy that contributes nothing to a team. Drury does none of those so no it is not inevitable. At all. That's as of right now if he takes a **** this season maybe you start looking at your possibilities after the season but you deffinitally don't now especially since he's only played 1 game this season maybe he worked on some stuff in the offseason and clicks with gabby nobody knows so calling it inevitable when you've yet to see what he brings to the table this season is a tad bit rediculous.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
BobSantos

Yeah, I say ride him out this season - see what he brings to the table. Anyway the buyout figures posted above are for a buyout after this season, not now.

Drury seems like a bright guy. I would hope that he's watching the team and sees what we're all seeing in terms of the chemistry. I hope he decides to slot into that chemistry instead of upending it. I think he'll make the right choices.

It will be great to get him back if only to make sure White never gets on the ice again...

Old
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

A little to early to make this call. Let's see how Drury fits here, you may be surprised at how much he adds. Drury and Callahan are very tight -- who do you think taught Callahan what he is practicing today? A buyout unlikely in my mind under any circumstances but what is more likely is if Drury and the Rangers agree it's time to move on, he'll get to pick a landing place of his preference (possibly Toronto or Los Angeles) and the Rangers will send some assets along as well as pick up a bad contract or two in return. Anything that happens will be very humane. Next year he has a $7MM cap hit and a $5mm actual payout. There are some teams where that would fit.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Besides, isn't Drury Tortorella's boy?

Old
11-28-2010, 12:18 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Yeah, I say ride him out this season - see what he brings to the table. Anyway the buyout figures posted above are for a buyout after this season, not now.

Drury seems like a bright guy. I would hope that he's watching the team and sees what we're all seeing in terms of the chemistry. I hope he decides to slot into that chemistry instead of upending it. I think he'll make the right choices.

It will be great to get him back if only to make sure White never gets on the ice again...
Agreed, Chris has never done anything to make me think he wouldn't accept whatever role is given. He seems like a class act and the only thing about him that hurts the team is his salary, not his attitude or work ethic.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:20 PM
XLJ

Basically most of the money coming off this year will likey go into resigning Dubi, Cally and Arty.

Its possible they buy him out. If they want to try to sign Richards. Its either buying him out or trading Rozsival.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Basically most of the money coming off this year will likey go into resigning Dubi, Cally and Arty.
The obvious.

Give Sather credit for not handcuffing himself when it comes to this.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Vitto79

just let the contract run out. its only 1 more year after this. They can sign the RFA's with the money saved on Frolov, Prospal, Fedotenko, Emminger, White.................trade Rozsival who is dealable in the last year of his deal and use that for a top C

Old
11-28-2010, 12:28 PM
llamateizer

i dont think theyd buy out him.
they might bury him in AHL.

1year left for himafter this season.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Tortorella really likes Drury, so I doubt this is happening.

How many times has this exact thread been created, I wonder? Buyouts like this, especially without amnesty, are not something the Rangers are going to do. Drury is still a good player. Not 7+ million good, but good enough that buying him out would border on idiocy - you lose the player and you still carry a significant cap hit. It makes NO sense.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post

No movement clause = he can't be "buried" anywhere other than MSG.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Just duct tape a stick to his hands, sit him on a pivot in the high slot in the defensive zone and let Torts work him from the bench with a rod like the table top hockey game!

It's Radio Robert!! He has "the shot you could hear but could not see!"

Old
11-28-2010, 12:40 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post

Can't, NMC

Old
11-28-2010, 12:43 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
I respect Drury. I hate his contract and want him off the team, but the guy's a warrior. I strongly consider a buyout if the $3.33m saved this year is the difference between being able to improve the team.

Personally, I'd try to trade Rozsival, buyout Drury, and add Richards (if a reasonable contract can be reached) and a "cheaper" ~2-3m veteran defenseman for a couple years.

The $1.67m cap hit you eat for an extra year is pretty small compared to the $3.33m you save next year. $1.67m is less than Avery is making to play (rightly or wrongly) fourth line minutes a night for us at the moment (and his contract is up then).

Of course, my hope is that Drury realizes he's in the twilight of his career and decides to retire due to frustration from his ongoing injuries. He'd be giving up $5m, but he's been more than overpaid the past few years, and don't forget that Naslund gave up $2m two years ago to retire. Not likely, but a guy can dream.

Old
11-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Any buyout doubles the length of time the hit stays with the roster (for example a buyout of two remaining years spreads the buyout over four years).

Drury's contract is up next season. There is no benefit to buying him out now, and he will likely re-sign with us at a much more reasonable number. He's a useful player, just not a 7 mil player.
what he said.

hes also a good penalty killer, and is usually good on the draws....we could really use that.

Closed Thread