HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2010, 11:18 PM
  #51
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
I know he is tradeable but the llength of that contract is attrocious for an underachieving goalie.



I'm not going to shy away and say that Horcoff has a great contract. It's not Luongo is a steal.....




Mike Peca won a gold medal too.

Jose Theodore also won MVP and a vezina.
You "know he's tradeable" but have already posted that he's "worthless" in the same thread? Always post in contradictions?

Not sure what Mike Peca has to do with anything, and Luongo's game hasn't fallen off near to Theodore's level, despite Oilers' fans prayers.

You're coming off as a jealous hater in this thread, and that's about it. Oilers and Flames fans can dump on all they want, he's no where near as bad as you guys like to tell yourselves.

And Luongo is not getting traded, so this is all moot.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:12 AM
  #52
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
You "know he's tradeable" but have already posted that he's "worthless" in the same thread? Always post in contradictions?

Not sure what Mike Peca has to do with anything, and Luongo's game hasn't fallen off near to Theodore's level, despite Oilers' fans prayers.

You're coming off as a jealous hater in this thread, and that's about it. Oilers and Flames fans can dump on all they want, he's no where near as bad as you guys like to tell yourselves.

And Luongo is not getting traded, so this is all moot.
The lack of flexibility is my greatest concern about the length of the deal. Goalies, now that the elite ones from the 90's and beginning of the millennium have retired (Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Cujo (to an extent)), we are seeing a changing of the guard in nets. With a cap in place, top teams can't be loaded at every position, something is eventually going to take a hit.

Teams now have to evaluate whether having a $6 million goalie like a Lundqvist, Miller, Ward with a $2 million Dman is better than going with a Howard and $5 million Dman.

For goalies, you're better off giving yourself the opportunity to make a change if needed. Being tied to a guy for 12 years isn't a wise move.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:13 AM
  #53
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Bobrovsky, but barely.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:19 AM
  #54
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
You "know he's tradeable" but have already posted that he's "worthless" in the same thread? Always post in contradictions?
Tradeable as in taking a similar bad contract in return.

Quote:
Not sure what Mike Peca has to do with anything, and Luongo's game hasn't fallen off near to Theodore's level, despite Oilers' fans prayers.
He was bringing up the Luongo won a gold medal arguement, so did Peca. IMO his game has clearly fallen a notch below his first few years in Vancouver, where he was actually considered the franchise. Now he's the main reason they lost the past three playoff seasons in the 2nd Round because of epic fail performances in series clinching games.

Quote:
You're coming off as a jealous hater in this thread, and that's about it. Oilers and Flames fans can dump on all they want, he's no where near as bad as you guys like to tell yourselves.
There is nothing to hate here, he's like Bulin without the rings.


Quote:
And Luongo is not getting traded, so this is all moot.
Agreed, Canucks will pay him until he's 40.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:53 AM
  #55
R0bert0 Lu0ng0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Teams now have to evaluate whether having a $6 million goalie like a Lundqvist, Miller, Ward with a $2 million Dman is better than going with a Howard and $5 million Dman.
This is such a huge false dilemma and it's never exposed on these boards for what it is.

Sure, having a cheap goaltender looks great when it affords you the chance to keep one of the top few defensemen in the league around - your Keiths, Lidstroms, Prongers - but how happy are San Jose to have jettisoned their legit starter for.. Wallin, I guess?

Honestly, the list of teams that have tried to succeed with cheap goaltending (Chicago doesn't count, they tried and failed to go with a big money starter in Huet) is far shorter than the HFBoards community seems to think - teams go with cheap goaltending out of necessity more often than not and their team is worse for it more often than not.

Quote:
For goalies, you're better off giving yourself the opportunity to make a change if needed. Being tied to a guy for 12 years isn't a wise move.
For any player, a 12 year commitment is too long. But I don't expect Roberto Luongo to be playing NHL hockey in 12 years so it's little other than idle hand-wringing for now.

edit: As for his trade value.. it will be substantially different if/when he is actually traded than it is now. This season it will be low as he is being paid $10m and no team willing to pay out $10m this year and $6.7m for the next several years will have cap room to accomodate his contract. This offseason I would see it being around what it was the last time he was traded - another top player struggling more notably (or just more limited) than Lou, and some other shuffling of assets which benefits the team dealing Lou away. Down the line, well, there's just no point speculating that far.


Last edited by R0bert0 Lu0ng0: 11-28-2010 at 01:59 AM.
R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:27 AM
  #56
666Orion666
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spozm View Post
No team really wants Luongo short of Edmonton (unlikely) or tampa (maybe?)

They both have to resign good players with big futures and a guy like Luongo who has big issues with big pressure situations (Shootouts and playoff games most notably) won't net a return since he has a large contract and is signed for a long time


As for franchise goalie, no one cares anymore. Goalies are so inconsistent in their performances every year can be different. Right now there are better goalies with better contracts out right now
How do you know how many teams would want Luongo? Your just guessing, some people have no idea.

666Orion666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:41 AM
  #57
GCM
Stork
 
GCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
the reality is that Luongo would probably fetch a better return than Halak, but HFBoards "experts" like to harp on him.

Canucks were dressing AHL d-men in the series against Chicago, open your god damn eyes, Luongo didn't let in bad goals, the defense let him down. Ohlund was a pylon in '09 and Baumgartner was Baumgartner in '10. Can't blame the goalie for terrible defense. He wasn't spectacular, but to say he choked when it went six games against the eventual cup champs is just an ignorant statement.

Ottoman made a Sens offer, and I think that was realistic. Ottawa is a team that would love to have Luongo in net. If Van wanted to move him right this second, they are the frontrunners I am certain.

I don't know what Vancouver would get back in the deal though. Karlsson is untouchable. Probably Rundblad + 1st + Foligno.

So yeah, there's your value for probably the most underrated player currently in the NHL.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:45 AM
  #58
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,745
vCash: 500
Ottawa?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:59 AM
  #59
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
the reality is that Luongo would probably fetch a better return than Halak, but HFBoards "experts" like to harp on him.

Canucks were dressing AHL d-men in the series against Chicago, open your god damn eyes, Luongo didn't let in bad goals, the defense let him down. Ohlund was a pylon in '09 and Baumgartner was Baumgartner in '10. Can't blame the goalie for terrible defense. He wasn't spectacular, but to say he choked when it went six games against the eventual cup champs is just an ignorant statement.

Ottoman made a Sens offer, and I think that was realistic. Ottawa is a team that would love to have Luongo in net. If Van wanted to move him right this second, they are the frontrunners I am certain.

I don't know what Vancouver would get back in the deal though. Karlsson is untouchable. Probably Rundblad + 1st + Foligno.

So yeah, there's your value for probably the most underrated player currently in the NHL.
I wouldn't call him underrated. It's just that he's under a microscope and expected to perform better. When you're 26th in GAA, 29th in sv% and 39th in GA, your value will be rated accordingly. As cliche as it is, "What have you done for me lately?" is the rule to live by in the cap world, isn't it?

Anyone whose watched him play a lot this year should be able to attest to his hampered quickness when moving side to side and his inability, or unwillingness, to keep his stick on the ice to cover his five hole. It's not so much his numbers that are concerning but the way he's getting scored on seems to be the same, game after game, and that's cause for - if not alarm, then at the very least reexamination.

Sure, he won a gold medal, but did he play exceptional in the olympics? No, not really. He played good enough to win. Albeit that's an impressive feat in its own right, but most people will tell you that Canada won in spite of their less than stellar goaltending.

Given his current abilities I'm not sure that he'd be able to return the same type of assets that Pronger netted, although I'm not saying it would be far, far off.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:41 AM
  #60
CM-
Registered User
 
CM-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
I know he is tradeable but the llength of that contract is attrocious for an underachieving goalie.



I'm not going to shy away and say that Horcoff has a great contract. It's not Luongo is a steal.....




Mike Peca won a gold medal too.

Jose Theodore also won MVP and a vezina.
Mike Peca was a 4th liner in 02 big difference between a 4th liner and the starting goalie for the team.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:42 AM
  #61
landfill
Registered User
 
landfill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Lets keep him, hope he refinds his game. I'd rather have him in the playoffs that a Rookie.

landfill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
  #62
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Kessel

overrated for overrated.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.