HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Current Feelings About Bylsma...

Old
11-28-2010, 11:21 AM
spcastlemagic

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh fans hate ever giving the coach credit because they could always do it better. Tomlin's haters are pretty quiet right now, and I'm pretty sure Bylsma's will be soon.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:29 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Most fans don't like their team's coach and think they can and should do better. Bylsma is, like any coach, not without his flaws.. But as long as the results are there at the end of the day I don't care about much else. He must be doing *something* right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
There are plenty of things I dislike about DB. His Rupp love. His total and absolute refusal to give TK a top 6 shot no matter how good he looks in extremely limited viewings. His PP shenanigans. His hatred of chemistry. But the man understands the sort of north/south game this team has to play to be successful with this roster, and they've bought in to a man, which makes The Pens a difficult puck-hounding team to play against most nights. He has the support of the team and we're winning.

Until we get a legit skill injection in the top 6, that works for me.
I agree with both of this. Some things I don't care for, but like Jake said, pretty much every fanbase complains about their coach. Byslma would look a lot smarter with Staal and another skilled winger.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I wouldn't say that MAF is the direct reason why "Bylsma's Bacon" () is being saved right now. But it's one of them. And obviously we all know in terms of this season that MAF has sucked more often than not. Same for last year.
What I'm saying is that Fleury's play has been a net negative for Bylsma's record this year, so he shouldn't even be brought up in this conversation.

Quote:
Originally I had meant that HCDB is just on a lucky streak right now. Once (and presumably if) Fleury (and Sid) falls back down to Earth and our streak ends well...we'll see just how good of a coach Bylsma is. Though most of us already know that answer. I just find it funny how some people here have gone from wanting the guy tarred and feathered to thinking he's the bestest, all because we've been on a hot streak in the last lil' while.
If Fleury starts playing like trash again, is that supposed to be Bylsma's fault? How is he supposed to compensate coaching-wise for Fleury letting in a long-range softy in the waning moments of a game?

Fleury's playing like a 5 mil goalie right now, so we shouldn't be expecting him to come down from his current level of play. This is how his contract dictates he should play - he's not outperforming it. If he doesn't live up to it, that's on him, and an uphill battle for HCDB.

As for Sid, well, if he tapers off and starts playing like a mere superstar, how is it Bylsma's fault if the Pens struggle with an injured Malkin, no Staal, and an armada of untalented grinders? The team was built to succeed down the middle with the stars playing to their potential. The man can't turn water into wine.

Quote:
I'll give it a few weeks. By Christmas if not earlier, people will want his head on a platter again. Book it.
Of course they will.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:41 AM
thejew09

Bylsma is terrible at making in-game adjustments, the game against the Stars earlier this season being a perfect example of this. Dump and Chase repeatedly, then the Stars leave a defenseman deep in their own zone to retrieve so we never get any time in their zone. You'd think he makes changes, but no, he keeps doing it throughout the entire game, and into the next game.

He favors grinders far too much, and I feel that if we had a different coach, then we'd have gotten at least one skilled top 6 winger by now.

thejew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Certainly, Cole. And like I said, there's a lot of deserved criticism for Bylsma. The problem is there's also a lot of ridiculous post-game hyperbole going around.

And again, I really don't see the problem with teams relying on great players. Going back to Bowman, should we hold it against him that he had the absurdly dominant 70's Habs? No. Conversely, he had the most talented Pens roster in history and they totally shat the bed in 93.

I think that people really need to address this when they talk about the problems with coaching. A team isn't a formula that a coach plugs the right variables into and then magically they win the Cup. Even the best modern coaches, with some of the best rosters, have what a lot of posters would consider "unacceptable" levels of success. Bowman was coaching just a hair above .500, in the regular season, he's .632 in the post season, and that's the best we've seen in nearly 40 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Was thinking along the same lines with Bowman. Let's not forget he "won" a Cup in 92...when he was routinely left out of the locker room. This is not to say Bowman isn't one of the great hockey minds of all time, his long term track record speaks for itself.

Coaching seems like a pretty lazy argument that people pull out when they can't pinpoint what the issues are.
The only small argument I want to make is that coaching is much more important in today's game than it was back in the 90s. Hockey was all about free-flow and then we entered the trap era. Defenders weren't counted on to do what they do nowadays.

The game has evolved and systems are more important than ever.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:13 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
What I'm saying is that Fleury's play has been a net negative for Bylsma's record this year, so he shouldn't even be brought up in this conversation.

If Fleury starts playing like trash again, is that supposed to be Bylsma's fault? How is he supposed to compensate coaching-wise for Fleury letting in a long-range softy in the waning moments of a game?

Fleury's playing like a 5 mil goalie right now, so we shouldn't be expecting him to come down from his current level of play. This is how his contract dictates he should play - he's not outperforming it. If he doesn't live up to it, that's on him, and an uphill battle for HCDB.
MAF playing like shat isn't DB's fault...obviously. However there have been quite a few instances in games where by the time Fleury was replaced by Johnson it was either too late in the game to really make a comeback, or worse...games Fleury wasn't even switched out for BJ at all. Or past instances where after games you would think that DB would have done the smart thing, saw that MAF was struggling, and put BJ over him to start the next one. But he didn't. That is really what irks me the most when it comes to MAF and DB I suppose.

As for Fleury living up to his contract...good on him. Hope he keeps it up. Given his mental inconsistancies though, I really dunno how long it'll last. I hate to say that obviously but it's true.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:11 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I've been off Bylsma's case as of late, but I don't believe he's ever gotten anything extra out of what was given to him. Just about everything that goes right for this team can be attributed to talent but they never get anything more than that. The PK is awesome right now, well we upgraded our defense. Crosby is dynamite so not much coaching necessary there. Malkin's line is depleted of wingers so we're forced to be okay with so so performances every night. The third line hustles and creates something every once in awhile due to said hustle but has contributed one single goal 5 on 5 together. They're on pace to contribute about every 8-10 games, which isn't enough. I also can't stand coaches that have favoritism towards certain players. There is no logical reason Poni shouldn't have been a top 6 player full time and Comrie should have been more than a 3 game experiment.

The power play I'll give him. For some reason that thing was off its rails for a loooong time and with a little experimenting it looks like it's back to form.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:24 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I've been off Bylsma's case as of late, but I don't believe he's ever gotten anything extra out of what was given to him. Just about everything that goes right for this team can be attributed to talent but they never get anything more than that. The PK is awesome right now, well we upgraded our defense. Crosby is dynamite so not much coaching necessary there. Malkin's line is depleted of wingers so we're forced to be okay with so so performances every night. The third line hustles and creates something every once in awhile due to said hustle but has contributed one single goal 5 on 5 together. They're on pace to contribute about every 8-10 games, which isn't enough. I also can't stand coaches that have favoritism towards certain players. There is no logical reason Poni shouldn't have been a top 6 player full time and Comrie should have been more than a 3 game experiment.

The power play I'll give him. For some reason that thing was off its rails for a loooong time and with a little experimenting it looks like it's back to form.
I don't see how you can't also attribute this to coaching. They've been missing their best penalty killer in Staal and yet they are top of the league at an incredible 90.2%. How coaching doesn't factor into the success of the penalty kill is beyond me.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:33 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
I don't see how you can't also attribute this to coaching. They've been missing their best penalty killer in Staal and yet they are top of the league at an incredible 90.2%. How coaching doesn't factor into the success of the penalty kill is beyond me.
Well it factors in to the point that yes you do have to coach it and run the drills in practice. On the other hand I'm not really sure Bylsma is enlightening guys like Michalek and Martin to new PK techniques that were unbeknownst to them before. Plus, and I don't want to open a can of worms here, but if you're a smart forward that works hard you can PK. Staal is a great penalty killer but on the flip side it doesn't mean someone else can't fill in adequately. In other words it's one of the least difficult things to overcome. I know it sounds like I'm being harsh but most of these guys have been PKing for years and years and most of them have been longer than Bylsma has coached at a pro level.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Ugene Malkin
Pens Bohemian Rhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
Michalek & Martin mean anything to you?

The only thing that I can attribute to the PK from the coaching side of it is putting Crosby in for the faceoffs. Other than that the players have stepped up, the Talbot's, cooke's ect...ect.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:55 PM
MtlPenFan

I'm confused.

Killing penalties can bet attributed to players "stepping up", yet the failure of the PP is attributed almost exclusively to bad coaching? Talk about covering all your bases.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:12 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'm confused.

Killing penalties can bet attributed to players "stepping up", yet the failure of the PP is attributed almost exclusively to bad coaching? Talk about covering all your bases.
Just because some people say that doesn't mean others like myself do. I was one of the few calling everyone idiots for blaming Yeo. I credit Bylsma for righting the ship on the PP but I do think the players alone should have made it a capable PP without him switching things up. Regardless of any of that, PP and PK are not the same thing.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:02 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Michalek & Martin mean anything to you?

The only thing that I can attribute to the PK from the coaching side of it is putting Crosby in for the faceoffs. Other than that the players have stepped up, the Talbot's, cooke's ect...ect.
Yes, obviously the players have been performing very well. But in my mind being top in the league on the PK takes strong coaching as well as stellar performances by the players. You hear Bylsma talk a lot about the first eight seconds after the other team reaches the blue line as the crucial time in the penalty kill which I agree with. At this point oftentimes the man advantage counts for little as the other team tries to set up. I like that he preaches aggressiveness in this timespan and even after the powerplay gets set up the players all seem to be on the same page.

Of course you have to give most of the credit to the players for going out there and get the job done but in my mind you don't just get to 90.2% on the PK without a solid gameplan. I just don't get how Bylsma can't get any credit for a top ranked penalty kill, but he can get torn apart for lack of execution by the players when things go wrong.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Not ready to say much of anything either way yet except that his bizarre fetish for playing guys with no skill on the wrong lines, in the wrong situations or for too many minutes still bugs me a lot. Right now I think you're seeing our team D gelling because of the big influx of talent we got over the summer, not some magical decision by Bylsma to turn things around.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:30 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
^^ Don't see anything wrong with your post. In fact, it's about as good as it gets. There is no definitive answer when discussing Bylsma. We, as fans, just don't know. In fact, the best hockey minds probably don't even know what will/will not work from time-to-time.

My post was just to point out nothing has changed from a schematic standpoint. Sid and Fleury have really carried this team in this stretch.
Well, then everything should be fine if sid and flower keep it up and the caliber of the competition Doesn't change in the playoffs.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I'm confused.

Best coaches in hockey, happy now?

Things work, it's the layers executing thebrilliant plan. Doesn't work, then players just need to try harder and do more and all will be well. Sounds familiar, but you've convinced me because you like this coach, and that' now good enough for me.

Old
11-28-2010, 08:42 PM
KIRK

Quote:

As for Sid, well, if he tapers off and starts playing like a mere superstar, how is it Bylsma's fault if the Pens struggle with an injured Malkin, no Staal, and an armada of untalented grinders? The team was built to succeed down the middle with the stars playing to their potential. The man can't turn water into wine.

Of course they will.
Sorry, cw, not buying on malkin. And, all teams have weaknesses that good coaches Find ways to mitigate, not exacerbate. But, i supose we'll have to wait to see it play out when it counts instead of getting caught up in 10 game stretches.

Old
11-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Funk311

I struggle with DB because he is quite strong in some areas, and quite weak in others. Sometimes one overshadows the other.

He is string at things you would expect a grinder turned coach to excel at. Overall team morale, pk, nightly effort, dedicated mentality to blocking shots and playing the body. When our stars play well, this style gets a lot out of the rest of our roster and the team looks strong.

He is bad at understanding how to maximize offensive potential for players who do not control their own fate, ie studs like sid. Also bad with the pp and admitting when sometimes an in game switch would be beneficial.

I will say tho, he still seems mildly humble and open. My hope is that he realizes some of his weaknesses and relies on other staff members to pick him up in those areas. So in ways I attribute some short comings to experience, which in my own mind makes a lot of logical sense. He is fairly inexperienced. He still seems to think "our game" can win every night in any situation. That is a good approach going into games, but sometimes he should read and react and bring focus to problem areas in game at a quicker and more aggressive pace.

My biggest personal complaint has been line juggling, but he has toned that down lately for lines one and three and those lines look better each game, and you can literally see comfort and confidence building nearly every game.

If he sticks with what he knows, and gets more comfortable adjusting what he doesn't i think he could be a great coach. Effort is the biggest killer of any team good or bad, and he seems to have that well in check. But you could debate if he is all responsible for that, or is it the team leadership. I think it has improved since mt so he gets some credit.

Crazy idea, do you think he has helped Sid become such an obvious force in every zone, effort, and leadership? Idk how I feel about that, tough to call as a fan.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Florentino Ariza

Bylsma doesn't deserve to be criticized for mixing up the lines. If there is one common criticism I see among all the fanbases about coaching, it is that the coach line-juggles too much. I think juggling to try to put hot players together or create some chemistry is something every coach does and I don't have a problem with it at all. In our case, the top line is basically set and rarely changes (except when Crosby and Malkin play together) and it's really the second line that is the main concern on the boards because there are concerns about who Malkin is playing with. The truth is that Dan doesn't have much to work with so it makes sense to try to change things up and get different guys with Malkin. The fundamental issue isn't that Asham isn't getting enough time with Malkin, it's that the team suffers from a significant lack of talent on the wings and I won't fault the coach for that.

Another issue that is intriguing to me is where Kennedy should play. Clearly he has demonstrated that he has some skill and can handle playing with skilled players; possibly better than Dupuis over a long period of time. However, given the way he is playing right now with Letestu and Conner it is hard for me to imagine Bylsma separating those guys. Another thought I have is that maybe right now Kennedy is best suited to stay on the third line and get limited opportunities to play with Crosby/Malkin. In the current situation he is slowly getting acclimated to playing on a top line instead of being thrown onto a top scoring line without a useful transition period. In other words, I think Bylsma is playing Kennedy perfectly right now so that he can develop properly while contributing on a highly effective third line.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:24 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, then everything should be fine if sid and flower keep it up and the caliber of the competition Doesn't change in the playoffs.
That is a lot to ask for.

On a side note, that's probably the frustration with Fleury. He either plays so damn good or so awful. Right now he's at some ridiculous level stopping almost everything coming his way. Where is the happy medium so I can be a sane fan?

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
I struggle with DB because he is quite strong in some areas, and quite weak in others. Sometimes one overshadows the other.

He is string at things you would expect a grinder turned coach to excel at. Overall team morale, pk, nightly effort, dedicated mentality to blocking shots and playing the body. When our stars play well, this style gets a lot out of the rest of our roster and the team looks strong.

He is bad at understanding how to maximize offensive potential for players who do not control their own fate, ie studs like sid. Also bad with the pp and admitting when sometimes an in game switch would be beneficial.

I will say tho, he still seems mildly humble and open. My hope is that he realizes some of his weaknesses and relies on other staff members to pick him up in those areas. So in ways I attribute some short comings to experience, which in my own mind makes a lot of logical sense. He is fairly inexperienced. He still seems to think "our game" can win every night in any situation. That is a good approach going into games, but sometimes he should read and react and bring focus to problem areas in game at a quicker and more aggressive pace.

My biggest personal complaint has been line juggling, but he has toned that down lately for lines one and three and those lines look better each game, and you can literally see comfort and confidence building nearly every game.

If he sticks with what he knows, and gets more comfortable adjusting what he doesn't i think he could be a great coach. Effort is the biggest killer of any team good or bad, and he seems to have that well in check. But you could debate if he is all responsible for that, or is it the team leadership. I think it has improved since mt so he gets some credit.

Crazy idea, do you think he has helped Sid become such an obvious force in every zone, effort, and leadership? Idk how I feel about that, tough to call as a fan.
Which is another issue with Bylsma. If you go back over the last decade, one of the greatest collections of talent on one team was the 02-03 Avalanche. Sakic, Forbserg, Kariya, Selanne, etc. The season and team were a huge disappointment. So why on earth would you hire the coach of *that* team(Granato) to be an assistant coach on a team with players like Crosby and Malkin?

If Bylsma is relying on the assistants, he is screwed because, well, they're not the type of coaches you want to rely upon if success if your goal. But it comes back to Bylsma because he hired them.

If Bylsma can get a good staff around him, I'd be less concerned. But he doesn't seem to have the ability to realize "one of my buddies" is not a good criteria when it comes to hiring assistants.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Best coaches in hockey, happy now?

Things work, it's the layers executing thebrilliant plan. Doesn't work, then players just need to try harder and do more and all will be well. Sounds familiar, but you've convinced me because you like this coach, and that' now good enough for me.
I'm sorry, but if anyone's bothered to take notice, they've tinkered with about a 1000 things since the season started. When a staff stubbornly sticks with something that doesn't work and refuses to adjust, regardless of whether or not the players are executing, you can site coaching as the culprit.

Case in point: The PP, namely Malkin on the left side. It didn't work, and you can blame the coaches. It was an ill advised strategy, but because everyone is still busy trying to run over the coach, they fail to realize that the experiment ended about 6 or 7 games into the season and they've played about 18 games since It's only during the last 10 days or so that it's started clicking, but for weeks the prototypical setup we all wanted wasn't working.

They tried using a rover. They tried rotation. They tried Comrie. They took Gogo out and put Martin. They put Gogo back in and took Martin out. They recently put Martin back in because Gogo clearly stopped believing he could get shots through traffic. At what point do you throw your hands up in the air - especially when everything's been tried and you've reverted back to your basic setup - and start putting some blame on the players? And what kind of nonsense is this when the minute things start working, it's because:

"Our highest paid players are playing great..." ?????

I can name countless examples of teams failing, regardless of who's coaching them, the second their best players are either A) Injured B) Slumping C) No longer on the roster.

They've gone back to an aggressive forecheck since the Friday game in Anaheim and haven't really looked back. The minute Staal was prepped for surgery, Malkin's been back at center save for one half of one game. Since the Boston game, we've maybe seen 2 or 3 jailbreaks for the other teams at best because the point men have dialed back on pinching in. The handling of Fleury and Johnson, considering how badly Fleury was struggling, was handled to perfection. Benching that piece of **** Comrie (which took some balls as well) and putting in a guy who can skate and works his ass of in Conner has culminated (not necessarily by design) in a pretty sweet 3rd line that sets us perfectly for when Staal gets back. The minute Gogo started having troubles on D, they didn't hesitate to reduce his minutes back down to around 17 minutes. Don't any of you sit there and tell me that these aren't adjustments.

In the end, I know the big thing with all of you is poor old Geno. Poor Geno who's been put back in his center spot (where he "struggled" last year and now this year again), has been put back on the wall (where he was most of last year as well) and has been put back with Talbot to try to recapture some of his Cup magic. Basically every excuse we've had for him has been rectified. Sure, people will point to his ice time, but again you can't have it both ways guys. Don't blame some of his struggles on a bum knee and with the other side of your mouth say he should be playing MORE despite missing practices and wearing a brace. I'd rather you go to your fall back positions and arbitrarily blame the coach despite the fact that they've appeased his/our every wish.

So what's our best argument here? Aaron Asham's playing time? Mike ****ing Comrie? Kennedy on the first line? Mike Rupp's 3 or 4 games of *gasp* 13 minutes of ice time, then ignoring the fact that he's been dropped back down to 8 minutes for the last 3 weeks? Even our best arguments involve the distribution of playing time for 3rd and 4th liners.
Think about that for a moment.

This is grasping at straws to try to maintain an argument, and hypocrisy at its worst when you blame the coaching for literally everything during times of trouble - then take any credit away from him when things go well. It's terribly unfair.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:07 AM
CorpseLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
I still don't think he's a good coach. He lets emotion and sentimental connections to players coach the games for him. He's energetic and cares about his players, good, but he's a bad strategist. He has a good system but no clue how to adjust it, and when it fails, he can't fix things. Without Sidney Crosby, Bylsma would be gone very soon. The Pens can and probably will be very successful with him, but that doesn't make him Dick Irvin reincarnated.

good post. Bylsma is probably a better assistant coach or trainer.

Flyers got the good coach.

If this goes on past this season, I think Pittsburgh becomes another Calgary/Edmonton story before they have a chance to take another Stanley Cup.

CorpseLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
I'm sorry, but if anyone's bothered to take notice, they've tinkered with about a 1000 things since the season started. When a staff stubbornly sticks with something that doesn't work and refuses to adjust, regardless of whether or not the players are executing, you can site coaching as the culprit.

Case in point: The PP, namely Malkin on the left side. It didn't work, and you can blame the coaches. It was an ill advised strategy, but because everyone is still busy trying to run over the coach, they fail to realize that the experiment ended about 6 or 7 games into the season and they've played about 18 games since It's only during the last 10 days or so that it's started clicking, but for weeks the prototypical setup we all wanted wasn't working.

They tried using a rover. They tried rotation. They tried Comrie. They took Gogo out and put Martin. They put Gogo back in and took Martin out. They recently put Martin back in because Gogo clearly stopped believing he could get shots through traffic. At what point do you throw your hands up in the air - especially when everything's been tried and you've reverted back to your basic setup - and start putting some blame on the players? And what kind of nonsense is this when the minute things start working, it's because:

"Our highest paid players are playing great..." ?????

I can name countless examples of teams failing, regardless of who's coaching them, the second their best players are either A) Injured B) Slumping C) No longer on the roster.

They've gone back to an aggressive forecheck since the Friday game in Anaheim and haven't really looked back. The minute Staal was prepped for surgery, Malkin's been back at center save for one half of one game. Since the Boston game, we've maybe seen 2 or 3 jailbreaks for the other teams at best because the point men have dialed back on pinching in. The handling of Fleury and Johnson, considering how badly Fleury was struggling, was handled to perfection. Benching that piece of **** Comrie (which took some balls as well) and putting in a guy who can skate and works his ass of in Conner has culminated (not necessarily by design) in a pretty sweet 3rd line that sets us perfectly for when Staal gets back. The minute Gogo started having troubles on D, they didn't hesitate to reduce his minutes back down to around 17 minutes. Don't any of you sit there and tell me that these aren't adjustments.

In the end, I know the big thing with all of you is poor old Geno. Poor Geno who's been put back in his center spot (where he "struggled" last year and now this year again), has been put back on the wall (where he was most of last year as well) and has been put back with Talbot to try to recapture some of his Cup magic. Basically every excuse we've had for him has been rectified. Sure, people will point to his ice time, but again you can't have it both ways guys. Don't blame some of his struggles on a bum knee and with the other side of your mouth say he should be playing MORE despite missing practices and wearing a brace. I'd rather you go to your fall back positions and arbitrarily blame the coach despite the fact that they've appeased his/our every wish.

So what's our best argument here? Aaron Asham's playing time? Mike ****ing Comrie? Kennedy on the first line? Mike Rupp's 3 or 4 games of *gasp* 13 minutes of ice time, then ignoring the fact that he's been dropped back down to 8 minutes for the last 3 weeks? Even our best arguments involve the distribution of playing time for 3rd and 4th liners.
Think about that for a moment.

This is grasping at straws to try to maintain an argument, and hypocrisy at its worst when you blame the coaching for literally everything during times of trouble - then take any credit away from him when things go well. It's terribly unfair.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:37 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Yep, good stuff MTL.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote