HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2010, 01:02 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Its not worth buying Drury out...he has one more year left after this one. Just ride it out and go with it. Personally i hope he re-signs here for very cheap after this contract and plays the rest of his time here.

Old
11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
chip chipperson*

i think in the off season we need to find someone that can play with gaborik on a consistent basis. so instead of buying out drury why not trade rozsival

Old
11-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
A little to early to make this call. Let's see how Drury fits here, you may be surprised at how much he adds. Drury and Callahan are very tight -- who do you think taught Callahan what he is practicing today? A buyout unlikely in my mind under any circumstances but what is more likely is if Drury and the Rangers agree it's time to move on, he'll get to pick a landing place of his preference (possibly Toronto or Los Angeles) and the Rangers will send some assets along as well as pick up a bad contract or two in return. Anything that happens will be very humane. Next year he has a $7MM cap hit and a $5mm actual payout. There are some teams where that would fit.
Agreed, good post.

Glad you included what I bolded, the video game GM's never actually consider the human element involved, its all just numbers with those guys, and as you know, its not always about numbers

Old
11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Torts loves Drury....he has made that pretty clear.

He is a good teammate, decent player and the captain of this team, like it or not, he's here for two more years.

I think the Rangers would take a hit around the league as well if they were to buy drury out. Redden and other rangers have handled his being sent down with the utmost class. I truly respect Redden for the way he has handled it. He was respectful of the Rangers organization in all of his interviews and is toughing it out in the AHL.

If we were to cut drury i feel that the ramifications would be much different. Drury is a leader, definitely still NHL caliber and has not been anywhere near where Redden has been. Buying him out would not only stranglehold the Rangers for double the years of cap space but it would also look bad to potential FA's.

I like Drury, i hate his contract. He will play out the rest of his time in NY and there is a slight chance that he will re-sign as a 4th line C here.

Honestly I would be so pissed if they bought him out because that 4 mil cap hit for another four years would be like another choking contract and one that is certainly impossible to rid ourselves of early.

Old
11-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i think in the off season we need to find someone that can play with gaborik on a consistent basis. so instead of buying out drury why not trade rozsival
yeah i think most of us expect Rozsival to be traded during the offseason once Valentenko, McDonagh and Kundratek have all had a complete year in Hartford, and hope that 2 of them are ready to make the jump (Gilroy is gone too imho)

However you *have* to assume that Cally, Dubi, and AA will cost ~5 more than they do now...offsetting trading Rozsival.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:00 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Any buyout doubles the length of time the hit stays with the roster (for example a buyout of two remaining years spreads the buyout over four years).

Drury's contract is up next season. There is no benefit to buying him out now, and he will likely re-sign with us at a much more reasonable number. He's a useful player, just not a 7 mil player.
imo there is little to no chance of him being bought out, but there is a potential benefit to doing it now. and thats the fact that brad richards is available this summer, not after drury's contract expires. i don't see any elite #1s available the following summer when drury's contract expires and we have to assume that guys like crosby, getzlaf, etc will resign and never become available in 2013.

so waiting for the contract expire and then finding another top center might not be a realistic option. getting richards this summer could be a one time opportunity to get a player like that...so then the question becomes do you think richards puts us over the top as a legit contender?

even if the answer is yes, i think a buyout to clear cap space is a last resort and you try to clear it somewhere else. maybe deal rosy and hope that one of mcdonagh or valentenko steps up...but if buying out drury is the only way i can get richards then i have to consider it.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:03 PM
eco's bones

Two years from now when his contract expires--Rangers should still have the following players--Anisimov, Boogaard, Boyle, Callahan, Dubinsky, Gaborik, Prust, Stepan. Del Zotto, Girardi, Sauer, Staal. Lundqvist. These are our young core and/or guys already signed beyond 2011-12. Anyway there's 8 forwards above and Kreider, MZA, Werek, Weise, Grachev, Hagelin, Thomas, Horak, etc. coming along. At least 2 or 3 of them should be Rangers by that time. Where would Drury fit and how much of a discount would he have to give us to offset what it would cost to replace him with a much younger player on an entry level contract? A very very big discount it would have to be.

I think the most likely scenario is that he plays out his contract with us but I don't see any good reason for drawing up a new contract for him now--knowing what we have and knowing what we have in our system.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:07 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
yeah i think most of us expect Rozsival to be traded during the offseason once Valentenko, McDonagh and Kundratek have all had a complete year in Hartford, and hope that 2 of them are ready to make the jump (Gilroy is gone too imho)

However you *have* to assume that Cally, Dubi, and AA will cost ~5 more than they do now...offsetting trading Rozsival.
replace frolov with mza (he can't be worse) and let prospal, white and ec walk and that clears like $7 mil

Old
11-28-2010, 02:11 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

This year's team has taken the form of a scrappy resilient team that fights for every inch. Drury is that type of player. He fits right in with this group. I'd like to see what he can do when he comes back with this type of team. I'm not saying I think he will score 25 goals but I do think he can be quite effective and make our PK even better.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:33 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

im hoping that the combo of letting some guys go and the trade of rozy will be enough to resign those 3 guys and maybe land somebody that can consistantly play with gaborik. this guy doesn't have to be an over the top free agent, just someone to add some stability to the 1st line

also, im assuming that frolov is one of those guys we let walk

Old
11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Nevermind, no way would I bother with this. Looks like he's got 1 year left after this season. Just ride it out.

We have the following coming off the books this summer.
Frolov 3 mill
White 2.6 mill
Prospal 1 mill
Fedetenko 1 mill
Eminger 1.1 mill

That's 8.7 Million, easily covers the raises for Dubi, Cally and Ani and leaves about 3.5 million for free agents to replace 2 or 3 of the guys leaving

Gilroy probably wont be resigned, so his money goes towards boyle and sauers raises.

Hopefully we have a forward or two in hartford ready and one or both of McD and PTANK
out of those guys, i just dont see frolov returning, prospal may end up retiring or we may not opt to even offer him. white, well you know. eminger may end up playing in a different league. realistically i see fedotenko as the only one returning and im ok with that. re-sign the trio and sign a few good FA's

as for a drury buyout, its stupid. especially with only one more year left on his deal after this one.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
replace frolov with mza (he can't be worse) and let prospal, white and ec walk and that clears like $7 mil
well, not really. MZA has what, a 1.5 mil cap hit? somewhere around that? and youre replacing those 3 players (ec is signed for next year, youd have to waive him), youll need to have bodies there in their place...so thatll cost at least say 2 mil.

3.5 mil goes on the books, 8.4 coming off...thats a net gain of only ~4.9 mil.

Old
11-28-2010, 03:02 PM
DutchShamrock

If Tortorella likes what he is seeing now, I'd guess that he can't wait to add Drury to the mix and subtract either White or Christiansen from the roster. Just my guess.

If we are going to read anything into Tortorella's comments, I'd wonder if Drury remains captain though. How many times has Tortorella called Callahan the living embodiment of a New York Ranger? "Want to know how we should play, just watch that game every night." This is the coach that scratched his captain in the season after their cup win. We saw it in Carolina, the captaincy change that is.

Old
11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Plus, losing Gilroy adds another $1.85 million in cap space.

Old
11-28-2010, 03:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I also don't see Prospal being brought back.

Essentially, moving Roszival allows the Rangers to keep their RFAs and pursue Richards.

Old
11-28-2010, 03:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
If you watch Torts' last few post game comments, and I think he even mentioned it on his show, behind the bench. He loves what is going on in the locker room. Which makes you wonder with little to no presence from Drury & Prospal, I wonder is it worth the split cap hit of buying out Drury this summer?

Either then adding Richards for a #1, or a prospect for our third line center, or even signing for like 3 million like Fleischmann out of Washington who is a UFA to be our third liner. Then again we buy out Drury save a couple mill, and have Steps, Anisimov, God(boyle)...

It just seems his leadership isn't really something this team is craving anymore, and since that is probably his greatest asset to us now, I'm thinking a buyout looks more and more likely.
A buyout doesn't do much for the cap. Especially with Redden coming back on the books. And the raises that important player are due.

11-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Not versed in all the salary-cap & buyout rules & regs so I'll leave that to others, but:

Seriously starting to wonder what is up with Drury not coming back after all this time. A broken finger? This is starting to seem a little lame to me. (No pun intended!)

Could there be something else going on?

Probably not, but jeez. A broken finger?

Anyone know which hand? Drury shoot left or right?

Old
11-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Any buyout doubles the length of time the hit stays with the roster (for example a buyout of two remaining years spreads the buyout over four years).

Drury's contract is up next season. There is no benefit to buying him out now, and he will likely re-sign with us at a much more reasonable number. He's a useful player, just not a 7 mil player.

Bite your ****ing tongue.

Old
11-28-2010, 03:51 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $3,716,667
2012-2013: $1,666,667
sounds reasonable. The real question is, do we really need that $3.3M cap savings next season? Is it really worth losing $1.67M the next? When is this supposed ESPN cap buoy supposed to arrive?

Old
11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Bite your ****ing tongue.
Why wouldn't you want Drury back for 2.5-3M a year?

Old
11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
sounds reasonable. The real question is, do we really need that $3.3M cap savings next season? Is it really worth losing $1.67M the next? When is this supposed ESPN cap buoy supposed to arrive?
Not to mention, at what point does buying out and burying your contracts in the minors start to make us look like a second option to free agents

Old
11-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Dunno, but that **** should be used on Redden ASAP if it comes. Would help out very much in the summer.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why wouldn't you want Drury back for 2.5-3M a year?
Beats me. He'd fit perfectly on the second-third line. If Boyle is actually a changed player - in terms of scoring some goals - they can rotate on the line between centering and on the wing.

Drury for $3 mill... Sign me up, man.

He wins faceoffs, blocks shots, plays defense better than any forward on this team besides Cally, scores 20 goals a year.

I want him back when his contract's up. It won't hurt if the price is right.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:36 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Two years from now when his contract expires--Rangers should still have the following players--Anisimov, Boogaard, Boyle, Callahan, Dubinsky, Gaborik, Prust, Stepan. Del Zotto, Girardi, Sauer, Staal. Lundqvist. These are our young core and/or guys already signed beyond 2011-12. Anyway there's 8 forwards above and Kreider, MZA, Werek, Weise, Grachev, Hagelin, Thomas, Horak, etc. coming along. At least 2 or 3 of them should be Rangers by that time. Where would Drury fit and how much of a discount would he have to give us to offset what it would cost to replace him with a much younger player on an entry level contract? A very very big discount it would have to be.

I think the most likely scenario is that he plays out his contract with us but I don't see any good reason for drawing up a new contract for him now--knowing what we have and knowing what we have in our system.
I agree I dont understand people wanting to resign him. He has already lost a step. With Boyle emergence and some of the young players on the way. Their bottom 6 will be fine. I wouldn't waste 2-3 million trying to resign him. Stepan and Anisimov will also be better at faceoffs a couple of years from now. Their wont be any need for Drury. Rangers need to cut ties with him after his contract is up.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I agree I dont understand people wanting to resign him. He has already lost a step. With Boyle emergence and some of the young players on the way. Their bottom 6 will be fine. I wouldn't waste 2-3 million trying to resign him. Stepan and Anisimov will also be better at faceoffs a couple of years from now. Their wont be any need for Drury. Rangers need to cut ties with him after his contract is up.
im not sure how i feel about re signing drury but he is still better than boyle imo. and the other thing to consider is if boyle can keep this play up

Closed Thread