HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Michael Ryder from Bruins fan.

Old
11-28-2010, 01:01 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Question about Michael Ryder from Bruins fan.

I come in peace. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Ryder's last year in MTL. Why was his output down? How was his relationship with the coach? Did it affect his play? I ask because it's likely Ryder will be demoted soon to Providence to make Cap Room for a returning Marco Sturm and Marc Savard. I think he'd be lost to the B's for good mentally. Any opinions? Thanks

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Habiton

For us he was a one-dimensional floater with mental issues. I remember him being scratched or injured and he was flying paper airplanes.

EDIT: By issues I mean a lack of work ethic!!

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Habbadasher

His lack of being a complete player, and a scoring drought, caused problems with the coach, which led to a reduction in ice time which led to less production. It was a vicious circle.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Darth Joker

Carbo tried to turn Ryder into a more complete two-way player, and Ryder just couldn't adjust.

Ryder can be a decent complimentary piece, but you need to use him in a very precise way:

1. He can't be your main go-to-guy offensively. He'll crack under the pressure if he thinks that is his role. So you don't want him on your top line.

2. On the flip-side, he's not a good two-way player, so he's kind of useless on either of the bottom two lines.

3. As such, he's at his best as a 2nd line winger expected to chip in 20 or more goals and provide scoring support to the top line. If you slot him into that role, and that's all you expect from him, you're fine. He can be an Ok NHLer, but in this role and this role alone.

Ryder has decent hands, and isn't physically soft (he's willing to throw the body sometimes), but he really lacks mental toughness. He doesn't handle adversity or pressure well at all.

So, yeah, sending him to the AHL for cap purposes will probably make him permanently quit on the Bruins. If you do that, you really might as well trade him.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:22 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks boys,pretty much what I thought.

Old
11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Paper Airplanes...............

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:44 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I come in peace. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Ryder's last year in MTL. Why was his output down? How was his relationship with the coach? Did it affect his play? I ask because it's likely Ryder will be demoted soon to Providence to make Cap Room for a returning Marco Sturm and Marc Savard. I think he'd be lost to the B's for good mentally. Any opinions? Thanks
Not really going to answer our question, but hes greatest value is with Halak and a 2nd

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I'd like to get Ryder back at the deadline, He would probably do well on a line with players who can get him the puck to just throw it on net.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:50 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I'd like to get Ryder back at the deadline, He would probably do well on a line with players who can get him the puck to just throw it on net.
So with Gomez? I worry that when he does his drop pass to Ryder, the other team takes it the other way

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Carbo tried to turn Ryder into a more complete two-way player, and Ryder just couldn't adjust.
Carbo couldn't even make his centermen better Faceoff players. The man was as bad a coach can be, from beginning to end.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:37 PM
De Montreal
help

I wouldnt be against the idea of picking him off waivers if Boston do send him to Providence. He have what, 1 year left on his contract?

He's better than Satan or Guerin, and we wouldnt have to give a pick for him. And comon, it can't be worse than Moen on the second line.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
alexstream

SHOOOOOOOT SHOOOOOOOOOT DAMMIT SHOOOOOOOOT

anytime he tries to make a pass or a deke... he's a sniper, but he (just like his bff Chris Higgins) thinks that he is better than that and always tries to make the fancy play that is clearly above his talent level. i dunno what goes through his mind, but he constantly thinks he's a mix of Pavel Bure and Wayne Gretzky, while in reality, he's a really poor man Brett Hull / Luc Robitaille...
SHOOOOOT MICHAEL SHOOOOOOOT

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Pascal

I literally laughed my ass off when the Bruins signed him for a bazillion dollars... for all the reasons stated above. He's a solid secondary scoring guy but he's too inconsistent for being a one-dimension player.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:39 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I literally laughed my ass off when the Bruins signed him for a bazillion dollars... for all the reasons stated above. He's a solid secondary scoring guy but he's too inconsistent for being a one-dimension player.
With Cammalleri, Gionta and Kostisyn he'd be our fourth « snipers » in the depth chart... no pressure, while he can be fed of either by Plekanec or Gomez.

Make sense, I think. Not the best option but still.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
With Cammalleri, Gionta and Kostisyn he'd be our fourth « snipers » in the depth chart... no pressure, while he can be fed of either by Plekanec or Gomez.

Make sense, I think. Not the best option but still.
me want a true power foward
aka Patches next year.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Not really going to answer our question, but hes greatest value is with Halak and a 2nd
I was wondering when that remark would pop up first..

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
He also had all kinds of Family issues that last year in Montreal. His brother got in trouble with the law & that edition of the Habs was always closing the pubs, so he wasn't in top shape.

I think there are a lot of better options for Montreal at the deadline than Ryder.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

No powerplay time, if I remember correctly.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Gally11

I always found he often scored when it didn't really matter, i.e the fourth goal in a 3 - 1 game, still useful but he wasn't a go to guy or anything. I could be wrong though.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Hugo Sham

zero hockey IQ. none. a shot and that's it...and even that is predictable (his positioning, release etc)

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
No powerplay time, if I remember correctly.
His PP goals and time are way down in Bos compared to his 30 goal years in MTL.

Old
11-28-2010, 03:46 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
He also had all kinds of Family issues that last year in Montreal. His brother got in trouble with the law & that edition of the Habs was always closing the pubs, so he wasn't in top shape.

I think there are a lot of better options for Montreal at the deadline than Ryder.
I'm sure that was tough on him and was probably part of the reason why he didn't play very well that season..

I saw on the local news here last week that his brother was still in court over that robbery charge.. I really hope the guy can get his life back on track...

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Turboflex*

he lost his spot on Koivu's wing also, didn't help.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:04 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I wouldnt be against the idea of picking him off waivers if Boston do send him to Providence. He have what, 1 year left on his contract?

He's better than Satan or Guerin, and we wouldnt have to give a pick for him. And comon, it can't be worse than Moen on the second line.
He's actually in the last year of his contract. He's UFA 2011. He and Savard pretty much have the exact same cap hit so it's a no brainer for the Bruins to waive him if they can't trade him.

I doubt he plays in the AHL though. Too many teams could use a 2nd line scoring winger, who is also a right-hand shot.

I do remember him being useful on our PP back then. He didn't mind the front of the net and had a quick release. But, he also had a tendency to turn over the puck in gawd awful areas of the ice. IDK, if we pick him off waivers I wouldn't be upset about that because it's just for this year, but if we don't I'm OK with that too.

Of course, I don't think Markov is yet on LTIR, so we don't have the cap space to pick him up anyway. We have just over $1 m of space and Ryder still has about $3 m owing to him.

There are a lot of teams with cap space who could use him, including Toronto and St. Louis Blues, so we'll see.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Woland

His lousy work ethic would not fit with the team we have. Ryder's priorities changed as he succumbed the the dangers of being a Hockey star in Montreal.

No way do I want Ryder back.

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote