HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson is now a matter of "when" rather than "if"

Old
11-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I think he could benefit from, at the very least, a stint with the big club. Again, Ryan Kesler played in 28 games in 03/04 as he split time between the Canucks and the Moose. It could be beneficial, if only to introduce him to the pace of the NHL.

If he doesn't look out of place and, even better, he looks really good, we should keep him up.

But at the moment, I don't see a hole on the team. If Tambellini starts to falter(which I hope doesn't happen, I like the guy, but history tells us he is inconsistent) or we get another injury in the top six, Hodgson could be the guy coming up.
I still think 4th line centre is a bit of a black hole, but I wouldn't put Hodgson there until at least after the trade deadline. By the time the playoffs roll around, however, it's about having the best line-up on the ice. If Hodgson is still playing out of his mind, he joins the big club. He's already done the AHL playoff thing anyway.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:09 AM
ddawg1950

If you can afford to wait, you wait. There is no real downside to this. Barring injury, I'd still rather him get all those big minutes wit the Moose...PP time, PK time, last minute of the period time. Learn the pro game, build confidence. I'd say about the middle of April we'll have a player that helps us make a deep run.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
petrishriekandgo

I don't understand why they don't groom Hansen to be the 4th line center? He's good on the PK, great on the forecheck, skates miles and is sound on the Dside of the puck. The only critical shortcoming he has is well... size and if that's the be all and end all then I suppose Bolduc is their guy.

I guess I'm saying I don't see Hodgson as the 4th line center either. 3rd line winger to start and then slowly move him up the depth chart. Just having his intelligence and scoring touch on the 2nd unit PP would be enough for me to justify bringing him up.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I still think 4th line centre is a bit of a black hole, but I wouldn't put Hodgson there until at least after the trade deadline. By the time the playoffs roll around, however, it's about having the best line-up on the ice. If Hodgson is still playing out of his mind, he joins the big club. He's already done the AHL playoff thing anyway.

If AV continues to run the bottom 6 the same way he did during the win against the Sharks then Hodgson would have a good experience playing on the 4th line.

6 min a night with 2 plugs isn't great for him obviously, but 10 to 12 mpg with Hansen and then either Glass or Torres (as well as some power play time) would be an excellent way to get a feel for the NHL game.

Not to mention he would likely outplay the dreg we have had centering the 4th line to this point.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
If AV continues to run the bottom 6 the same way he did during the win against the Sharks then Hodgson would have a good experience playing on the 4th line.

6 min a night with 2 plugs isn't great for him obviously, but 10 to 12 mpg with Hansen and then either Glass or Torres (as well as some power play time) would be an excellent way to get a feel for the NHL game.

Not to mention he would likely outplay the dreg we have had centering the 4th line to this point.
And that has to be the #1 consideration down the stretch and into the playoffs. The Canucks icing the best possible roster absolutely takes precedent over anything else IMO.

Not to mention it'll give Hodgson a leg up next season if he gets some NHL time this year. Even if he's called up, doesn't perform and has to be sent back down at least he'll know what to expect the next time around and be better prepared for the transition.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
And that has to be the #1 consideration down the stretch and into the playoffs. The Canucks icing the best possible roster absolutely takes precedent over anything else IMO.

Not to mention it'll give Hodgson a leg up next season if he gets some NHL time this year. Even if he's called up, doesn't perform and has to be sent back down at least he'll know what to expect the next time around and be better prepared for the transition.
you really want hodgson playing against goons? that's the number 1 consideration for not putting him on the 4th line. Goons like boogard out there to make their livings by wrecking people.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamhuis View Post
you really want hodgson playing against goons? that's the number 1 consideration for not putting him on the 4th line. Goons like boogard out there to make their livings by wrecking people.
I want him on the ice against goons at all times - it'll give him the best chance possible to succeed.

If you were a coach and the other team sent out their huge, useless enforcers would you make sure to keep the Sedins away from them?

Besides, if our 4th line consists of Glass, Hodgson and Hansen you won't see very many goons in the lineup against us. Not dressing a guy that's capable of fighting them renders their role pretty much useless...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:17 PM
ugghhh

After watching him live last night, I thought it was painfully obvious that he isn't ready for the NHL. I thought he had an okay game, but was far from dominant.

We are all aware of his skill level and awareness, which are both definitely not only NHL-ready, but (IMO) probably at least equal to any Canucks forward not named Sedin. He makes great decisions with the puck and is capable of making plays in traffic.

However, his skating is just dreadful. His top speed is *maybe* passable (at least at the AHL level), but his acceleration is decidedly mediocre. Just not able to get any jump on the puck, couldn't make one on one moves on AHL defenders, and was beat to the puck on more than one occasion where you'd expect a player of NHL calibre to easily get control.

Once his skating is back/up to par (which may or may not be this season), it should be an obvious move up to the big club.

ugghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:40 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
I think Hodgson should come up for the playoffs....is he a playoff performer?

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamhuis View Post
What are they going to do, beat him up?

Point is moot anyway, teams haven't been dressing their enforcers very often against us anyway.

I think some should re-watch the game against the sharks. The way our bottom 3 lines was used was very different then what we have seen in the past. The 3rd line was used as a checking unit and matched directly against the Sharks top line.

This job typically falls to our second line but with Tamby and Raymond on the wings, that wasn't going to work.

The 4th line played a regular shift and was used against the sharks 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines.

I haven't been thrilled with the coaching staff so far this season, but the small moves they made over the past 2 games have been very impressive.

Moving Glass up to play in a checking role was totally on point, as Glass is actually quite sound positionally (he just can't move the puck worth a crap).

Sammy has the size to check bigger players effectively and he has the finish to keep the other teams top players honest defensively. Just a good set up all around

The biggest positive of all however is the fact that our coaching staff finally seems to be figuring out the fact that you can no longer throw 3 physical plugs out on a line together and expect them to do anything other then get scored on.

You have to split up your plugs and make sure they have enough talent around them.

The combo's we saw last night will not only contribute more in terms of goal differential but they will also be more physical then what we have seen before. The physicality wont come because we have bigger stronger guys in the line up but because our tougher players will spend more time on the ice and in a position to actually grind things out.

The only hole I see right now in the bottom 6 is 4th line centre, which brings me back to Hodgson.

Perrault hasn't been terrible, but he just doesn't bring enough IMO. He isn't particularly skilled or physical. The Canucks could either increase their physicality by bringing in a different player or increase their skill level by putting Hodgson in that spot.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote