HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez options

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2010, 03:35 PM
  #1
Windymind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Gomez options

What are the options with Gomez contract?

I wish he'd play well, but if he never wake up this year... what are our options next year? I think his salary goes down to 5.5M then 4.5M...

Options:
1. He starts to play well again
2. We trade him at 5.5M (is this realistic?)
3. We bench him and keep his salary (he is too small for 3rd or 4th line)
4. We buy back his contract (2.75M first year, 2,25M second year) rights?

Is there other ones?

Thanks

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:37 PM
  #2
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Buy out would make us pay his 3 year salary over 6 years instead.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:41 PM
  #3
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
What are the options with Gomez contract?

I wish he'd play well, but if he never wake up this year... what are our options next year? I think his salary goes down to 5.5M then 4.5M...

Options:
1. He starts to play well again
2. We trade him at 5.5M (is this realistic?)
3. We bench him and keep his salary (he is too small for 3rd or 4th line)
4. We buy back his contract (2.75M first year, 2,25M second year) rights?

Is there other ones?

Thanks
2. We can trade him at 5.5 M but he'll still be 7.35 cap hit player.(5.5M is only in 2012-2013)
4. Buy out is 2/3 of remaining salary over twice the lenght so basically 1/3 for 6 years.

just over 1.9M per year I think.


We could also send him to Hamilton (AHL) ala Redden, Souray...

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:42 PM
  #4
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 500
His salary is 7,5M$ next year....how about put him on the re-entry contract the last 2 years of his contract ? 3,6M$ on the cap instead of 7,2

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:43 PM
  #5
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
Just for the sake of an argument:

Code:
SCOTT GOMEZ BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $1,801,587
2012-2013: $3,801,587
2013-2014: $4,801,587
2014-2015: $1,944,444
2015-2016: $1,944,444
2016-2017: $1,944,444
What do you guys think?

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:48 PM
  #6
Windymind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
2. We can trade him at 5.5 M but he'll still be 7.35 cap hit player.(5.5M is only in 2012-2013)
4. Buy out is 2/3 of remaining salary over twice the lenght so basically 1/3 for 6 years.

just over 1.9M per year I think.


We could also send him to Hamilton (AHL) ala Redden, Souray...
If Gomez starts to play well, there's no problem anymore. But if he doesn't:

Resume:
1. Wish he plays well, reduce his PP time. At half season: If not improved, go on 3rd line?
2. July try to trade him. Nobody wants him.
3. Buy back contract or send him to AHL (move up Desharnais?)

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:49 PM
  #7
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
His salary is 7,5M$ next year....how about put him on the re-entry contract the last 2 years of his contract ? 3,6M$ on the cap instead of 7,2
What about buying him out instead or send him to AHL.

I dont think we can get a 3.6M better than Gomez anyway.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:50 PM
  #8
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
What about buying him out instead or send him to AHL.

I dont think we can get a 3.6M better than Gomez anyway.
If we buy him out we'd have to deal with ~4mil and ~5mil against our cap for two years. Does not seem cost effective to me.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:53 PM
  #9
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
If we buy him out we'd have to deal with ~4mil and ~5mil against our cap for two years. Does not seem cost effective to me.
Exactly, plus they would have to find another player to replace him, which would probably put the cap hit to even higher than that he is currently making. No sense.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:55 PM
  #10
Windymind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
If we buy him out we'd have to deal with ~4mil and ~5mil against our cap for two years. Does not seem cost effective to me.
Could AHL become an alternative eventually if he keeps playing like this?

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:00 PM
  #11
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,340
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Just for the sake of an argument:

Code:
SCOTT GOMEZ BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $1,801,587
2012-2013: $3,801,587
2013-2014: $4,801,587
2014-2015: $1,944,444
2015-2016: $1,944,444
2016-2017: $1,944,444
What do you guys think?
If there was a player available that could push us over the top, I'd sit him down and ask him if he'd be interested in a buyout then be resigned for 3 years at $1M per. He pockets an extra $3M over the course of the deal and we clear up $4.5M, $2.5M and $1.5M for the next 3 years. We eat $2M per over the next 3 after that.

It's easy to come with these ideas using other people's money.

Would that be cap circumvention??

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
  #12
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Just for the sake of an argument:

Code:
SCOTT GOMEZ BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $1,801,587
2012-2013: $3,801,587
2013-2014: $4,801,587
2014-2015: $1,944,444
2015-2016: $1,944,444
2016-2017: $1,944,444
What do you guys think?
If this is true then please get him the F out.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
  #13
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
If there was a player available that could push us over the top, I'd sit him down and ask him if he'd be interested in a buyout then be resigned for 3 years at $1M per. He pockets an extra $3M over the course of the deal and we clear up $4.5M, $2.5M and $1.5M for the next 3 years. We eat $2M per over the next 3 after that.

It's easy to come with these ideas using other people's money.

Would that be cap circumvention??
I don't think you can sign a player you just bought out. I could be wrong though.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:23 PM
  #14
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,340
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I don't think you can sign a player you just bought out. I could be wrong though.
It is.


Last edited by loudi94: 11-28-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Nevermind.....It's circumvention.
loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:36 PM
  #15
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
Could AHL become an alternative eventually if he keeps playing like this?
Sure. Although, I do not think the organisation will ever send him down to the minors. They usually treat players with a great deal of respect. A trade is more likely.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:42 PM
  #16
mrCoffea*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Gomez is fine, he'll be playing in Montreal till the end or at least till the near end of his contract

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:45 PM
  #17
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 500
Sign him a 5 years extension contract to lower his cap hit.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
  #18
strutsboa
Registered User
 
strutsboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
What's the point of buying out a player so he counts against the cap when you can send the player to the AHL without having the contract against the cap?

I've never understood that, is it only due to "respecting the player"?

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:53 PM
  #19
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
What's the point of buying out a player so he counts against the cap when you can send the player to the AHL without having the contract against the cap?

I've never understood that, is it only due to "respecting the player"?
Because it's not always about player's cap hit. Some teams actually prefer to save real dollars and pay 2/3 of the salary versus having to pay it in full while said player is down in the minors.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:54 PM
  #20
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,322
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
What's the point of buying out a player so he counts against the cap when you can send the player to the AHL without having the contract against the cap?
Its more about money. Why throw away $3m when you can just throw away $1.5m and save $1.5m. By buying him out, you save REAL $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Teams are in the business of making money, not giving it away.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:56 PM
  #21
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
. A trade is more likely.
A trade is impossible at this point.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:57 PM
  #22
phil76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: atlanta
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
goes into a deep coma and wakes up when is contract is due

phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:59 PM
  #23
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
A trade is impossible at this point.
Less so than burying Gomez in the minors in my opinion.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
  #24
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 500
At least his contract will finish the same time as Malkin's contract

Gainey is a genius.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
  #25
TheNewGuy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Can't we just give him to charity?

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.