HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Michael Ryder from Bruins fan.

Old
11-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I come in peace. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Ryder's last year in MTL. Why was his output down? How was his relationship with the coach? Did it affect his play? I ask because it's likely Ryder will be demoted soon to Providence to make Cap Room for a returning Marco Sturm and Marc Savard. I think he'd be lost to the B's for good mentally. Any opinions? Thanks
I don't trust people who say this.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:24 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Ryder has decent hands, and isn't physically soft (he's willing to throw the body sometimes), but he really lacks mental toughness. He doesn't handle adversity or pressure well at all.
I remember Ryder having some physical upside. When he was playing well for us, he would always skate up on the wing with a puck, take a monster hit from a d man on the opposing team, and keep on skating through it with the puck still in possession.

I always liked Ryder. But that last season, and ever since he has not seemed like the same guy somehow.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:29 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I come in peace. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Ryder's last year in MTL. Why was his output down? How was his relationship with the coach? Did it affect his play? I ask because it's likely Ryder will be demoted soon to Providence to make Cap Room for a returning Marco Sturm and Marc Savard. I think he'd be lost to the B's for good mentally. Any opinions? Thanks
I think his output for the last season went down because of his PP time. At the beginning of the season the PP wasn't working, when it was changed it went to 1st in the league so there was no point in putting him back there. I think if you look at his stats his 5-on-5 scoring would be similar to his previous years.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I think his output for the last season went down because of his PP time. At the beginning of the season the PP wasn't working, when it was changed it went to 1st in the league so there was no point in putting him back there. I think if you look at his stats his 5-on-5 scoring would be similar to his previous years.
You're right,his ES scoring is about the same.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I remember Ryder having some physical upside. When he was playing well for us, he would always skate up on the wing with a puck, take a monster hit from a d man on the opposing team, and keep on skating through it with the puck still in possession.
He was a very good player for us during the two 30 goal seasons. Good, solid, scoring winger.

I'm not sure what happened to him during his last year in Montreal. Maybe the pressure of being one of our two or three top go-to-guys offensively got to him? No doubt the situation with his brother didn't help.

If we have the cap room to afford him, and Boston waives him, I'd be game in picking him up. He's a fairly low-risk option because we could just let him walk in the Summer if he doesn't work out for us. He sure as heck couldn't make our 2nd line worse than what it currently is, lol.

Last edited by Darth Joker: 11-28-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Rizzuto88

We are bloggers, how would we know his relationship with a coach...

Beat it.

GO HABS GO

Rizzuto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Capitano

When he wasn't scoring, he didn't look good at anything else. And he wasn't scoring...

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
Claude Julien got him going.

That's about it.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
As sad as it is Ryder is like a better D'Agostini.

He was just a scorer, 20-30 goals, and not a two way forward, not too fast either.

With our type of game hes useless to us.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I don't think it's got anything to do with his work ethic. He had to work hard just to make the NHL. He's got a good one, I think he just gets frustrated too fast from his inconsistency. Frustration can lead to bad play. I also don't think it's a coincidence that he had down years in the years news about his brother came up.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Habs13

He was at his best here when he would find open spots and wait for passes... then he thought he was Gretzky or something and wanted to deke players out... however, he isn't very good at that. Hehe.

Paper airplanes...

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:55 PM
THE HOFF

He becames higgins' roomate (away games) then became a party animal. Not skilled or determined enough to earn our hearts again.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't trust people who say this.

Oh wow, I MUST watch this now!

Its too bad what happened to Ryder. He was terrbile defensively, never even bothered skating back to help the defense. But he had a really good shot and didn't get tossed around much. I'd almost say I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but he won't fit with the system. He's signed for 4mil a year and he's in his last year. If you had to get rid of somebody and that was Ryder, I'd say shop him. Pretty sure you'll get something decent back.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
All I can say is at 4 million per year I'm so happy he left. Scored 30 goals but besides that didn't do much else on the ice. During his last year Carbo left him aside, he wasn't needed

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Aurel Joliat

He is a pure goal scorer and like other snipers, he have slump sometimes. But his production have really drop since his first 30 years (63 pts (25 goals) - 30 goals - 30 goals.

He is my favourite player during his days in Montreal and I miss him (not because I want Michael back, but because I do not find a new ''favourite'' player since he left) His wristshot was just amazing : Top corner, BING !

I even bought a Ryder jersey with the Bruins. A bruins jersey, can you imagine haha

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

Ryder is like Pierre Dagenais, except he skates a little better and shoots a little worse.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
With Cammalleri, Gionta and Kostisyn he'd be our fourth snipers in the depth chart... no pressure, while he can be fed of either by Plekanec or Gomez.

Make sense, I think. Not the best option but still.
At the deadline, I would definitely take him if the price is right (read: cheap).

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:56 AM
neofury*

To be honest I think it's a lot more ideal then people think. If the Bruins bought him out or put him on waivers I'd take the risk on Ryder.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
No powerplay time, if I remember correctly.
Giant misconception. Ryder was given his usual #1 PP minutes with Koivu and Higgins for a long time, but he just wasn't producing. Eventually Carbo had no choice but to take him off the PP because he was dragging the entire unit down. Powerplay time is earned, and Ryder was given ample opportunity to earn it that year and couldn't.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:21 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Funny... Years ago when Ryder was in his last year with Montreal and was a regular scratch, I suggested trading him to Atlanta for Recchi and everyone crapped all over me. Meanwhile Recchi is still playing and producing and Ryder is going to the AHL.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:18 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest I think it's a lot more ideal then people think. If the Bruins bought him out or put him on waivers I'd take the risk on Ryder.
You never know. He might be worthwhile. If you think about it, he hasn't exactly been horrible. He scored 27 goals with the Bruins his first year there. Only 18 last year, but that's not so bad. The Bruins had trouble with scoring all around last season.

Old
11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
You never know. He might be worthwhile. If you think about it, he hasn't exactly been horrible. He scored 27 goals with the Bruins his first year there. Only 18 last year, but that's not so bad. The Bruins had trouble with scoring all around last season.
I think as a 2nd line fill in player for the rest of the season say from deadline onward he'd be fine.

Plus maybe with good coaching he could possibly play the system decently who knows. Deadline onward would be more than enough time to find out and wouldn't really hurt the team all that much. I don't see us winning the cup this year though any team that makes it has a chance

Still to test him out it might be worthwhile cause then we'd be able to re-sign him for a decent price and it's a win/win scenario. Habs get a top 6 that works (if it in fact does) and Ryder gets signed by the habs. I think Ryder liked it here to be honest and I always like home developed players.

It would be a perfect time to try him out and would give us options for a 2nd line player to sign for cheap. Then maybe we have enough money to sign two quality defenseman.

Old
11-30-2010, 12:37 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think as a 2nd line fill in player for the rest of the season say from deadline onward he'd be fine.
I don't know if Ryder is the guy I would want though. But I am sure he would score more goals than Moen is on our second line. I gotta admit I did like the guy a lot, and part of me kinda felt sad when he left, especially since he was such a big part in that 5-0 comeback vs the Rangers.

But if the Bruins are demoting him they must have their reasons.

Last edited by andy28: 11-30-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
MathMan

Basically Ryder had the misfortune of becoming the Habs' annual scapegoat. He hit a scoring drought and the Habs can't go without a designated whipping boy, so he became it. It didn't help that Carbo couldn't understand scorers and scoring slumps and how to deal with them.

As a result he's become a bit underrated by Habs fans. A pretty good player, just not a great one, not quite worth the money the Bruins pay for him, but what are you gonna do with a guy with 2 30-goal seasons? Decent second-line winger.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I don't know if Ryder is the guy I would want though. But I am sure he would score more goals than Moen is on our second line. I gotta admit I did like the guy a lot, and part of me kinda felt sad when he left, especially since he was such a big part in that 5-0 comeback vs the Rangers.

But if the Bruins are demoting him they must have their reasons.
#1 person on my radar is Langenbrunner.