HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whose eating crow first

Old
11-28-2010, 01:02 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

vCash: 500
to early to eat crow, but this very promising season has shut all the annoying haters up pretty good. As much on these boards as in the media.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:05 PM
No Team Needed

Did we forget about trading the next Saint, Saint Cedric for some Russian who will never, ever, ever, ever play for us?

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
OneSharpMarble

He seems to be getting value for assets which is a big change. With Gainey you knew he wouldn't make a move until it was too late and then when he did finally do something he was getting bent over with no lube.

So yea from terrible trades to better.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Habbadasher

I was concerned about Gauthier's lack of experience, and you can nitpick about each move depending on your perspective, but in general, he gets a thumbs-up from me.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
TankEller*

I loved the Halpern signing, the Moore trade and the O'Byrne trade.
I wasn't convinced about the Halak trade, and never will be until I get a confirmation what we'd have gotten for Price isn't better than what we've got in exchange for Halak. 24 games is a very small sample in a goalie's career.

As for Yzerman vs Gauthier, I'd still be picking Yzerman if I was given the occasion.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Yzerman vs Gauthier

lol ?

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:18 PM
sevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
to early to eat crow, but this very promising season has shut all the annoying haters up pretty good. As much on these boards as in the media.
I agree with this! 20 games in guys? really we are judging a career on 20 games? With maybe half of those we won because of a hot goalie.

yes a hot goalie. I do believe Jose Theodore looked great for a season.

I am not saying I am against PG but I am not jumping on the wagon so quickly.

I think J.Martin is the wrong guy. We have lost several young prospects bc of the way he deals with him. S.Kos was never an issue with Guy, he became an @ss under JM. Latendresse, dago, obyrne, patches, sergie.. I just think there are still issues.

we are still small. We still need a big center. We still need a top line player. we still need a power play.

I like the direction PG is going but 20 games is a not enough for me to call him a success. ( I know playoff run in there, but come on that was 70 percent or more Halak )

sevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:45 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I notice one thing: the marginal players that we have traded away have played regularly for the new teams.

D'Agostini --> Mtl: Palusha in Hamilton
Grabovski --> Mtl: ?
Chipchura --> Mtl: a draft ?
Kostitsyn --> Mtl: Boyd
O'Byrne
That means the habs have good depth. None of those except Grbas has dont much for there team. and at that who cares what Grabs does in TO (except the Markov injury)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:50 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Pierre McGuire is eating tons of Crow
Pierre McGuire eats crow often when talking about the Habs.

On the Team 1200 in Ottawa the day after Eller scored, he even said Lars was not ready for the NHL. Completely ludicrous. He is definitely NHL ready, he just needs more icetime.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
The real genius in trading Halak was the act itself instilled confidence in Price.

Gautier is looking like a good one.
The problem was never about trading Halak. Since nobody thought it would be a good idea keeping both guys. It was all about the return.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Pierre McGuire eats crow often when talking about the Habs.

On the Team 1200 in Ottawa the day after Eller scored, he even said Lars was not ready for the NHL. Completely ludicrous. He is definitely NHL ready, he just needs more icetime.
That's my biggest problem with Mcguire. He has so much confidence in his knowledge of hockey, that he says things without reflecting, and then looks really stupid. Price draft, "the book is out on Price", Eller comment, Habs can't win a playoff series.

Honestly the more I write, he sounds like onesharpmarble

Old
11-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Hfboards2010

Gainey was a big name guy (See Nieuwendyk, Gionta, Cammalleri, etc.). Similar to Sather?

Gauthier seems to be pretty good at finding unknown players (See Halpern, Eller, Bournival, etc). Similar to Poile?

I should add I'm impress with Gauthier's findings.

Last edited by Hfboards2010: 11-28-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Pierre McGuire is eating tons of Crow
Mcguire blasted price, jacques martin, pierre gauthier, and didnt like the halpern signing (said he would have gotten belanger instead)

Mcguire is a sad excuse because he changes his tune all the time.

it is ok to be wrong, but have the balls to admit it!

he is a monday morning quarterback....

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:29 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Mcguire blasted price, jacques martin, pierre gauthier, and didnt like the halpern signing (said he would have gotten belanger instead)

Mcguire is a sad excuse because he changes his tune all the time.

it is ok to be wrong, but have the balls to admit it!

he is a monday morning quarterback....
McGuire calls it as he see's it, nothing wrong with that. He was skeptical with many moves the habs made along with many others. The other night he listed the Canadiens as the number 1 team in Canada, ahead of Vancouver. He has no hate or BS bias against the Habs.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
McGuire calls it as he see's it, nothing wrong with that. He was skeptical with many moves the habs made along with many others. The other night he listed the Canadiens as the number 1 team in Canada, ahead of Vancouver. He has no hate or BS bias against the Habs.
You have to admit that his skepticism of Montreal is of greater level than any other team in the league. I have never seen an analyst be as critical as he is towards one team(Montreal) and then instantly get a hard on for any move another team does (Burke and Toronto).

There is a clear bias in Mcguire imo. As for Montreal being the #1 team in Canada right now, I think it would be hard to argue against that at this current moment. Vancouver has the best team on paper, but their execution of their game plan makes them inferior to Montreal at this point.

I'll give Mcguire credit for one thing though, despite not playing as well as Halak, he never fell into the Carey Price crap that went on and always supported him and told people to be patient.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:41 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
That's my biggest problem with Mcguire. He has so much confidence in his knowledge of hockey, that he says things without reflecting, and then looks really stupid. Price draft, "the book is out on Price", Eller comment, Habs can't win a playoff series.

Honestly the more I write, he sounds like onesharpmarble
I guess I should be more like you, take a poll, see what everyone elses opinion is and then agree.

PM says alot of controversial things but you don't get to stay on tv regularly by being as blande as bread dipped in water. When you make bold statements guess what? YOU'RE WRONG once in awhile, being wrong isn't the worst thing in the world. Atleast the guy can keep it professional and not personal like most on this forum.

I don't mind being compared to someone who has spent his life in hockey circles and is highly reguarded. I havn't put in the time he has so it certainly is a compliment for me.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:45 PM
mrCoffea*

Anyone that thinks Gainey isn't the one pulling Gauthier's strings is delusional

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:46 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
You have to admit that his skepticism of Montreal is of greater level than any other team in the league. I have never seen an analyst be as critical as he is towards one team(Montreal) and then instantly get a hard on for any move another team does (Burke and Toronto).

There is a clear bias in Mcguire imo. As for Montreal being the #1 team in Canada right now, I think it would be hard to argue against that at this current moment. Vancouver has the best team on paper, but their execution of their game plan makes them inferior to Montreal at this point.

I'll give Mcguire credit for one thing though, despite not playing as well as Halak, he never fell into the Carey Price crap that went on and always supported him and told people to be patient.
He works for a Toronto network. What do you expect? I also believe he genuinely liked the moves made by Burke at the time. He might have been off the mark, but I think his praise was genuine.

As far as being overly critical of the Habs, so were most experts when Gainey blew up the team, traded for Gomez ect. Myself included, I am glad Gainey no longer makes the final decisions. I have much more faith in PG in his short stint as GM.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:52 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
Anyone that thinks Gainey isn't the one pulling Gauthier's strings is delusional
Well we didn`t trade Halak to a conference rival for a career AHLer so I am going to say Gaineys position is tantamount to that old person who greets you when you walk into Wal-Mart.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
wheres the big forward. theyre playing well now but they play well before january almost evey year then it starts unraveling.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Next Best Thing*

I would like some leftoevers plz if there even are some

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:40 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Last year many of the Habs fans on this board thought that the signing of Pierre Gauthier as GM was a terrible move. Many thought he had little too no experience as a GM and wouldn't fit, wanting Stevie Y instead.

From then on Every move was criticized

Moore for a 2nd rounder: Moore went on to help us on one of our most successful playoff runs in years.
Signing of Jeff Halpern Halpern is a big reason we win faceoffs in the defensive zone, he's helped us with our PK, he's helped us with goal scoring and when only plekky's line was scoring earlier in the season he stepped up and gave us the ability to win.
halak or priceThe move that will define his tenure is looking pretty good right now, while Eller is finally looking like he is coming into his own, the points will come with time
Bournival for O'byrne Obviously too early to tell with this one But i do like the fact that we are now starting to seriously try to amass prospects when players aren't fitting into our system.

honestly many have criticized his every move and if anything he's been pretty well spot on over the last little while

I have said it before I like his moves ... at least he pounces on the best deal he can get when someone is not is not in his plans ....unlike BG who waited forever

you know my feelings on Pleks...do it in the playoffs and he hasnt and we are still going nowhere with him as your best forward but his salary is ok and we are at leats competetive ( Price has carried us )

Halak deal .. I have said before A STEAL OF A DEAL

We all know goalies are worth nada in trades ...but we got a top 25 prospect at 21

remember Bryzgalaov was picked up on waivers ....and so many others wnet for nothing in deals

Obryne .....we may have found our next Carbo in this deal ...again A STEAL

who gives up a legit prospect for a 5th dman

now lets see how big his nuts are

Markov is damaged goods ....lets see if he does the right thing IMHO ....do not resign him

all we need is Campoli at 2-2.5 and myabe pull off a deal with Vancouver for a surplus dman and we are ok

we are too capped out if Markov comes back at 6ish mil .....no flexibility at all

we have Price to deal with after next year

You know my feelings on Pleks ....never produced in the playoffs

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:03 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The problem was never about trading Halak. Since nobody thought it would be a good idea keeping both guys. It was all about the return.
what more did you expect

a 24 year old goalie ....has a great playoff run ....unknown

great deal

are the Leafs going to get Jared Cowan out of Ottawa for Gustavson ???

thats what we did my good friend ...a top prospect

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:04 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I guess I should be more like you, take a poll, see what everyone elses opinion is and then agree.

PM says alot of controversial things but you don't get to stay on tv regularly by being as blande as bread dipped in water. When you make bold statements guess what? YOU'RE WRONG once in awhile, being wrong isn't the worst thing in the world. Atleast the guy can keep it professional and not personal like most on this forum.

I don't mind being compared to someone who has spent his life in hockey circles and is highly reguarded. I havn't put in the time he has so it certainly is a compliment for me.
Well if it doesn't bother you, why does your post sound so sour? I notice your post for 2 reasons, your avatar is original, so it's very easy to notice you and that I find you're overly critical of our management.

I have no problem with how you are, I just pointed out what I read in most of your post.

And if you think I follow "the trend" I guess you don't take much notice to my avatar, even it is also original

Old
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves, it's still early.

December brings with it our toughest stretch of the season.
15 games in 31 nights, 10 of them on the road including a 7 game road trip to finish the month and tough opposition at every turn to boot.

Lets wait to see where we are come January before doing a "Leaf fan after winning 5 games" impression.

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote