HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Eklund: Sharks-Sabres trade coming?

Old
11-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Chicago trades to SJ: Belfour, Bell

You were saying......
Those were before both were perceived powerhouses of the conference and before the offer sheet.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:09 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
At this point I'd rather do something like Zalewski+, or maybe Ferriero (not preferred), for someone like Sekeraj or Butler. But with all the controversy around Rivet and with his deal set to expire, I don't see how they can deal Leopold, Sekeraj, or Butler. They need the depth, and they need to get rid of Rivet's contract.
Zalewski? Seriously?

You couldn't get a bag of pucks for him.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:11 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
Setoguchi, Niemi and a 2nd for Myers.
From our perspective that sounds great...I don't think Buffalo would agree though.

jwhitesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
What would the Sabres do with Niemi?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
What would the Sabres do with Niemi?
You're totally right.

Myers, Miller for Setoguchi, Niemi, 2nd.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:41 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Chicago trades to SJ: Belfour, Bell

You were saying......
Recent trades. That was a previous regime. I restart my counter when a new GM walks in. After the Hammer situation, I don't think they will see much from the Windy City. Plus, Bowman is kind of tied to Detroit where the Sharks haven't been partners recently. Four teams I forgot were the Nucks, Thrash, Devs and Rangers.

Last edited by SJeasy: 11-28-2010 at 04:47 PM.
SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...sed/?page=full

Where there's smoke....

Apparently Buffalo owner thinking of selling team.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:

Where there's smoke....

Love that in that Boston.com article there's a bit slating Joe.

Quote:
Average Joe
Ovechkin is hardly alone in the superstars-slow-to-get-going category. Witness Joe Thornton. Jumbo Joe, forever loath to shoot the puck, stood a tepid 1-4—5 in the eight games following his two-game suspension for whacking Blues forward David Perron across the head. The ex-Bruin franchise center entered last night’s game with but six goals for the season and only one since Oct. 27. All in all, another of those less-than-engaged stretches for the now-31-year-old, whose career inconsistency (especially in the postseason) ultimately could keep him out of the Hall of Fame. Until final review, his work-in-progress career remains far more Pierre Turgeon than, say, Bryan Trottier or even Peter Stastny.
Love that he's on pace for better than anyone on the Bruins but he's just 'average'. Can't let it go, eh Beantown?

As for the rumour, I appreciate it probably has no basis, but Leopold would be a reasonable fit if he was available... What about Sekera? He had quite a lot of potential a while back if I recall...

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:

Where there's smoke....

It just amazes me that the Boston media is still going to lengths to criticize Jumbo. They've got a great team that's set up to be successful for years to come; why not focus on that instead of rehashing the Thornton saga?

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
dmband

Turgeon is a completely appropriate benchmark for Thornton.

dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Turgeon is a completely appropriate benchmark for Thornton.
Turgeon never lead an entire decade in scoring.

Old
11-28-2010, 07:15 PM
dmband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Turgeon never lead an entire decade in scoring.
Not sure I buy the relevance of that one. Joe does have an Art Ross and a Hart. Neither has a Cup I dont think. Turgeon averaged 1.025 points per game in 1294 games (515 goals), Thornton 1.02 in 935 games. Pretty similar to me and similar styles of play

dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Not sure I buy the relevance of that one. Joe does have an Art Ross and a Hart. Neither has a Cup I dont think. Turgeon averaged 1.025 points per game in 1294 games (515 goals), Thornton 1.02 in 935 games. Pretty similar to me and similar styles of play
I'll concede that I'm not old enough to have any recollection of Turgeon's career pre-Dallas but I'll take Joe's peak (both career-wise and referring to when JT is at the top of his game/"angry Joe") over Turgeon's peak any day.

Old
11-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Slurms McKenzie
Wam wam wazzle!

i saw the replay.

Slurms McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:24 PM
sub_zero94

Quote:
why would San Jose do this, they already have Taylor Doherty..

basically the same player, right?

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:

Where there's smoke....

I don't understand how Golisano wanting to sell the team (like he has for many years, mind you) equates to "where there's smoke.." at all or has anything to do with a trade.
He bought the team because he felt like it was his duty to keep the Sabres in Buffalo and he's not trying to sell us now because we're doing poorly.
He could easily retain the team, but I don't think it was never his plan to own them forever, regardless of performance.

And as far as the trade goes, the players available would probably be Butler and Stafford, as both are having a hard time finding their way into our lineup.
Stafford needs a change of scenery and Butler's stats don't tell the whole story.
Whenever you're paired with Rivet, especially an injured one, you're surely going to be terrible.
He does have a shot though (something you seem to need/want) and the organization billed him as our new PPQB last season.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Admiral Al

Rivet to San Jose for Niemi and a 2nd

Admiral Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Kitten Mittons

So what would you want for a Stafford+Butler package?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:27 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't understand how Golisano wanting to sell the team (like he has for many years, mind you) equates to "where there's smoke.." at all or has anything to do with a trade.
He bought the team because he felt like it was his duty to keep the Sabres in Buffalo and he's not trying to sell us now because we're doing poorly.
He could easily retain the team, but I don't think it was never his plan to own them forever, regardless of performance.

And as far as the trade goes, the players available would probably be Butler and Stafford, as both are having a hard time finding their way into our lineup.
Stafford needs a change of scenery and Butler's stats don't tell the whole story.
Whenever you're paired with Rivet, especially an injured one, you're surely going to be terrible.
He does have a shot though (something you seem to need/want) and the organization billed him as our new PPQB last season.
You wont solve either teams needs suggesting these two players as the core of a trade. You need top 6 offense and you wont get it with trying to move second tier players. We need a top 4 puck carrier who can play on the PP and we aren't getting that giving away our 3rd line players for that kind of a defenseman.

11-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Leopold or **** Eklund

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiginb View Post
McGinn for Montador please!
Your judgment is clearly impaired.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:31 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
Rivet to San Jose for Niemi and a 2nd
At least Niemi is capable of playing.
I know you guys hate Niemi, but Rivet just sucks.

To give you an example of how bad he is, I'll use a hypothetical.
If he was defending Cheechoo (not hating on him, he's a player I'll always like because I enjoy watching Sharks games and his Richard season was magical, but he was notoriously slow), he would most likely have to hook him to prevent him from doing anything, as he is that slow now.
Last year he played injured but is apparently fine after having surgery, yet he's as slow as ever.
After being a scratch a few games ago, he welcomed himself back to the lineup by taking one of the previously mentioned "hooking because I lose a foot race" penalties.
I believe he's been a scratch ever since that game.

Also, if we took Niemi, you'd have to take Lalime and he is clearly worse.
He's won all of 9 games for us in 3 seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
So what would you want for a Stafford+Butler package?
I'd say Setoguchi, as both he and Stafford need a change of scenery.
They are former 1st rounders who just don't seem to be working out.

However, you can't just take on two salaries (you'd be spending $200k more if it was Stafford for Setoguchi straight up), and we already have too many defensemen.
I don't know if there are any forwards you'd want to salary dump or anything that would be useful enough for us, as we also have too many forwards (just not enough good ones, mind you).

Of course it's Eklund, so there probably isn't a shred of truth to it anyways, but it's kind of hard to make it work even if you're just trying to do a proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
You wont solve either teams needs suggesting these two players as the core of a trade. You need top 6 offense and you wont get it with trying to move second tier players. We need a top 4 puck carrier who can play on the PP and we aren't getting that giving away our 3rd line players for that kind of a defenseman.
Stafford is a top 6 guy (and played top 6 minutes last year and was relatively useless but seems better this year).
He is one of those guys that needs a change of scenery and has potential.

Butler can play top 4 minutes and has lots of potential too but just can't make it into our lineup.
Like I said, he did play the power play last season and was decent.
The -15 last season isn't really something to go by when looking at him, as he wasn't nearly that bad in my opinion.
I never liked him paired with Rivet or Rivet in general, for that matter.
He and Sekera were both in and out of our lineup last season so that probably didn't help either.
I wouldn't be opposed to somehow keeping both, but it's getting to the point where we just have too many NHL defensemen and prospects.

I still think both have potential, but I know, neither of us are dealing for potential but rather immediate help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Leopold or **** Eklund

Your judgment is clearly impaired.
As mentioned already, Leopold has a NTC and just signed here, so I don't think he'd want to move.
He has a few children and I'm sure after bouncing around for the last couple of years, he just wants to stay where he is for now.
In fact, I think he said that he wanted to sign here because it was relatively long term and he could finally settle somewhere.

Montador isn't that bad, actually.
He does make some boneheaded plays, but this year he's been very good and has turned into a solid top 4 guy.
At this point, I personally want him re-signed after this season and given the captaincy or alternate captaincy.
He seems to care every night, which is hard to come by on our team.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:33 AM
SJeasy

jfb,
The Sharks had Rivet and before he took even more slow pills, his biggest issue was puckhandling. He couldn't hold the blueline on offense which is even more deadly than his speed. I noticed Ruff taking off PP last year and I am sure it was for that reason. The Sharks problem is that they already have too many who fumble the puck, so even if speed wasn't an issue, Rivet would still be a problem. It isn't just the PP where the puckhandling causes issues, it is also clearing the zone. You may want to take a closer look at the issue if Rivet starts playing again.

It's Eklund and I haven't watched Butler that much so I don't know on relative value. On Seto, you may have issues similar to Bernier's, not the weight issue, but the focus. The coaches/players aren't getting through to him and he has parts of his game that he never uses in SJ and no one is putting 2 plus 2 together here. I don't know if Ruff and staff could do it either.

IMO, Ruff/Regier have gone in the wrong direction for style of play for the Sabres. You don't have the high end personnel for a physical game. You have personnel for a speed game and it seems that the whole team has gone conservative (physical) and the players aren't really suited to that style of play.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

IF ..... there were a trade to be made, Sekera for Seto seems more equal to me. Sekera has a $1,000 one year cap hit before becoming an RFA. He's 24 and has 181 NHL games under his belt. Seto is 23 with a $1,800 cap hit and 216 NHL games of experience. Both have holes in their games and both have strong upside for the future and reasonably close cap hits. Both could solve the other teams needs.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Cheechoo and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Of course it's Eklund, so there probably isn't a shred of truth to it anyways
As per the quote above, everyone here seems to agree that this "Eklund" character has no credibility whatsoever. And so it always amuses me when there's an entire thread dedicated to one of his rumors.

You're playing right into his hands.

Cheechoo and Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
rangerssharks414

What would the Sabres do with Niemi? They already have Ryan Miller and Lalime, and Enroth is waiting in the minors. I see no logical reason why the Sabres would take Niemi in a trade.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote