HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Great players, BAAAAAAAD skaters

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2005, 04:44 PM
#2eddieshore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
But, Gretzky shouldn't even be think about in a BAD skating thread.
Skating was one of the worst parts of his game though.

Old
05-31-2005, 04:47 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2eddieshore
Skating was one of the worst parts of his game though.
Its easy to say that when he is near flawless at most other things.

Old
05-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Ogopogo*

Many Mario fans love to take any opportunity to slag Wayne and promote Mario. It is sad, really.

Wayne fans certainly don't take every opportunity to slag Mario.

Old
05-31-2005, 05:25 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Mike Ribeiro, Nik Antropov, PIERRE DAGENAIS....!!!! This guy would have been a consistent 30 goals scorer if he'd have had speed!!!

Old timers: Esposito, Ragulin, Andreychuk.

Old
05-31-2005, 06:26 PM
allin4466

not a pro yet.. but eric fehr.. yikes

Old
05-31-2005, 07:28 PM
stocktrader

Much has been written about Gretzky's skating.

My cousin used to attend Oiler practices in the eighties. He said for some reason Gretzky was never known as a great skater, but every time the oilers had a race, Gretzky would win.

His skating is way underrated.

Old
05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
dougd

Not a great player/skater, but was decent especially as a playmaker....John Chabot.

A Karpotsev
PAt Ribble
L Playfair

Are just a few other slow skaters that come to mind.

My favouritest and most effective slow skater was Brad Marsh.

The slowest and probably the least effective was as someone mentioned earlier...B rian Curran.
Geez, I'm sure picking on Defencemen!!

Old
05-31-2005, 08:56 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Many Mario fans love to take any opportunity to slag Wayne and promote Mario. It is sad, really.

Wayne fans certainly don't take every opportunity to slag Mario.

Believe me I am no fan of Mario "I was in the same room as Dan Quinn when he was r-a-p-i-n-g a girl" Lemieux...merely pointing out the truths.

And saying that Wayne was an above average skater who slowed down even more as he got older is not a knock against Wayne. As everyone knows, Wayne's game was based on Anticipation and Vision with a dash of that Gretzky Magic so speed wasn't really a necessity.

A lot of the young fans now have a misconception that Wayne Gretzky was some super fast, super agile, super strong, super everything hockey player. The truth is, it is a complete and utter mystery how Wayne accomplished the things that he did because physically, it just makes no sense that Wayne was able to do the things that he did...it really is.

Always one of the smallest and weakest and even slowest (at least on the Oilers team) and not that flexible either. But somehow Wayne always saw everything on the ice and had some magical sense to see things developing a couple second ahead of them actually happening. This inate ability allowed him to do things that no one before or since have been able to do.

And also important was that although he was not blessed with magical hands like Mario or Jagr, Wayne never missed one single shot when given the opportunity (except during the last minutes at the '96 World Cup...ohh, still so painful!!!!)

Blessed with this kind of magical vision to know what is happening everywhere on the ice at all times a couple seconds ahead of the play and also with the necessary mechanics to do what he needed to do, that skinny kid from Brantford was able be simply the best hockey player that has ever lived! Bar none!

Old
05-31-2005, 09:02 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin
Fastest, no.

Pretty? He could have had a career figure skating. Amazing stride. Technically perfect.
The only thing technically perfect about Gretzky was his timing...timing on the ice, timing off the ice, timing to know when to retire, etc...and his diplomacy...always knew the perfect thing to say at the perfect times...I wish that I was blessed with this kind of timing!!!

Old
06-01-2005, 07:40 PM
acr*

Nobody mentioned Terry O'Reilly tripping over the blueline?

Old
06-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Believe me I am no fan of Mario "I was in the same room as Dan Quinn when he was r-a-p-i-n-g a girl" Lemieux...merely pointing out the truths.

And saying that Wayne was an above average skater who slowed down even more as he got older is not a knock against Wayne. As everyone knows, Wayne's game was based on Anticipation and Vision with a dash of that Gretzky Magic so speed wasn't really a necessity.

A lot of the young fans now have a misconception that Wayne Gretzky was some super fast, super agile, super strong, super everything hockey player. The truth is, it is a complete and utter mystery how Wayne accomplished the things that he did because physically, it just makes no sense that Wayne was able to do the things that he did...it really is.

Always one of the smallest and weakest and even slowest (at least on the Oilers team) and not that flexible either. But somehow Wayne always saw everything on the ice and had some magical sense to see things developing a couple second ahead of them actually happening. This inate ability allowed him to do things that no one before or since have been able to do.

And also important was that although he was not blessed with magical hands like Mario or Jagr, Wayne never missed one single shot when given the opportunity (except during the last minutes at the '96 World Cup...ohh, still so painful!!!!)

Blessed with this kind of magical vision to know what is happening everywhere on the ice at all times a couple seconds ahead of the play and also with the necessary mechanics to do what he needed to do, that skinny kid from Brantford was able be simply the best hockey player that has ever lived! Bar none!

I don't get it when they call Wyane Gretzky small, he was 6 feet for goodness sakes. that was par for the course, sure he was skinny but he wasn't small.

Old
06-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Poochie_D

its been said a few times but ill say it again.... if pierre dagenais had DECENT ( not good, DECENT) skating ability he could pot 30 goals per season easy.

Old
06-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Big Phil

Dave Andreychuk, Jason Allison, Ray Sheppard are all guys that had put up impressive numbers despite skating like they had anvils on their skates. Nik Antropov is just a bad, slow skater and has never put up very good numbers anyways.

Johnny Bucyk skated like a turtle near the end of his career. Still a deserving Hall of Famer but man was he slow when he got old. And one that people forget is Dickie Moore. He won the Art Ross Trophy twice but admitted he never could skate. This was caused by the fact that he brke his leg when he was a young boy and never really developed a muscle in his leg. Which expalined the slow skating.

Old
06-03-2005, 02:51 PM
ish

Can't believe no one mentioned John MacLean. Absolutely hideous stride. Dale Purinton and Steve McKenna have trouble getting places too. Purinton might be the worst skating NHL defenseman I've ever seen.

Old
06-03-2005, 02:55 PM
DJmastamind

Rick Tocchet comes to mind.

Old
06-03-2005, 02:56 PM
MattNJD

Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
not amazing players but neither Mike Rupp or Lyle Odelein could skate when they played in NJ.

Closed Thread