HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
  #51
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why wouldn't you want Drury back for 2.5-3M a year?
That's still a bit high. Not outrageous just high. At his age and he gets hurt every year, his stats plummet every season... Let's say $2m, maybe bonuses, then I'm in.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
11-28-2010, 07:45 PM
  #52
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
I think this team will still need Drury next year.

Anisimov has looked tired, while he shows flashes its unsure how many minutes he will be able to handle at a high level this year. Obviously Stepan is far from developed as well. In two years? I think we'll be good. But for now I think its best for the Rangers to keep Drury and run Stepan-Anisimov-Drury-Boyle down the middle next year.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
  #53
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why wouldn't you want Drury back for 2.5-3M a year?
Because he's worthless except for penalty killing, shot blocking and being a decent face-off man. And except for face-offs Callahan is way better. Blair Betts does what Drury does better than Drury for a lot less than $3 million a year.

What else does Drury have to do to convince you people that he can't play hockey anymore? Drury getting hurt was the best thing to happen to the Rangers so far this year.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
11-28-2010, 09:11 PM
  #54
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
im not sure how i feel about re signing drury but he is still better than boyle imo. and the other thing to consider is if boyle can keep this play up
Frankly--Chris had a crap season last year. He's been out of action all this season and two years from now he'll be 36 and whatever contract he signs will be as a 35+ player meaning NMC or no NMC in that next contract his cap hit would count against us for the entire period of that contract even if we sent him to the AHL--and looking at last year I seriously wonder whether he's on a decline right now. He's a 3rd liner as it is--two years from now will he still be a 3rd liner?-- and are we going to give him $2.5--$3 mil to play on the 4th line like Todd White? To me it's not realistic to even project something like this at least until we see how much gas he has left in the tank this year and next year.

I'd worry a lot less about Brian Boyle keeping it up. He's a lot younger and there's a very good reason why his game has improved. Those summer skating classes. He's just a lot better player because of it. In any case he's more suited for the 4th line and in cap terms he's making the minimum wage.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 12:25 AM
  #55
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
I just think it would be more financially responsible to let the contract run out after next season (2011-2012 season).

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 12:29 AM
  #56
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Frankly--Chris had a crap season last year. He's been out of action all this season and two years from now he'll be 36 and whatever contract he signs will be as a 35+ player meaning NMC or no NMC in that next contract his cap hit would count against us for the entire period of that contract even if we sent him to the AHL--and looking at last year I seriously wonder whether he's on a decline right now. He's a 3rd liner as it is--two years from now will he still be a 3rd liner?-- and are we going to give him $2.5--$3 mil to play on the 4th line like Todd White? To me it's not realistic to even project something like this at least until we see how much gas he has left in the tank this year and next year.

I'd worry a lot less about Brian Boyle keeping it up. He's a lot younger and there's a very good reason why his game has improved. Those summer skating classes. He's just a lot better player because of it. In any case he's more suited for the 4th line and in cap terms he's making the minimum wage.
all true, i just still think right now drury is a better player

chip chipperson* is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 12:31 AM
  #57
Deric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
If 2 things both happen then the Drury buy-out makes sense. 1.) Rozi is traded for picks or a good 2-3$M d-man to probably replace Eminger (Stall/Girardi, (trade)/DelZotto, Sauer/McD.or.Valentanko) and we sign Brad Richards in the offseason.

To get Richards, imo, is worth buying out Drury and paying the 1.6 cap hit for the extra year to make room for Richards next season. Granted as long as its a reasonable contract.

I know a lot of people here are still in love with Chris Drury of yesteryear, but truth is a team with a 7M cap hit 4th liner is going nowhere in this league. I don't want to hear about intangibles, etc. The guy is a great penalty killer and defensive centerman. He's not gonna score 20 goals or make plays to make his linemates better. You can probably get a Blair Betts or Fredrik Sujstrom type of guy for less than $1M cap hit to do almost as good a job as Drury at that.

Deric is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 12:43 AM
  #58
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
im not sure how i feel about re signing drury but he is still better than boyle imo. and the other thing to consider is if boyle can keep this play up
How can you say this? do you think Drury would have 10 goals by now if he was healthy? Do you think dru would even have 5 at this point? Boyle is on pace for 30 plus goal season this year, is relatively young, has size, is willing to fight, is good on the penalty kill, and if torts would ever put him in front of the net on the powerplay he may really start to produce. I am not worried if he can keep this up, but I have seen enough to know that Boyle is developing into the player he can be, whereas Drury is winding down and is a shell of the player we thought we were getting when he was signed. Drury does not need to be resigned when his contract is up, we are trying to get younger and by then I am hoping some younger players like Horak will be ready to push for a job that drury doesn't need (4th line for 2.5 million).

Janerixon is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 12:45 AM
  #59
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Frankly--Chris had a crap season last year. He's been out of action all this season and two years from now he'll be 36 and whatever contract he signs will be as a 35+ player meaning NMC or no NMC in that next contract his cap hit would count against us for the entire period of that contract even if we sent him to the AHL--and looking at last year I seriously wonder whether he's on a decline right now. He's a 3rd liner as it is--two years from now will he still be a 3rd liner?-- and are we going to give him $2.5--$3 mil to play on the 4th line like Todd White? To me it's not realistic to even project something like this at least until we see how much gas he has left in the tank this year and next year.

I'd worry a lot less about Brian Boyle keeping it up. He's a lot younger and there's a very good reason why his game has improved. Those summer skating classes. He's just a lot better player because of it. In any case he's more suited for the 4th line and in cap terms he's making the minimum wage.
Missed your post before I responded... couldn't have said it better myself! If you told me 3 months ago i'd be defending boyle I would say you are on drugs, but its true he is earning his paycheck and then some.

Janerixon is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 01:10 AM
  #60
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
I say buy him out or force him to retire. He is nothing more than a waste of cap space and a distraction at this point.

Rangers44* is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 01:14 AM
  #61
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Just because Drury isn't on the ice doesn't mean he isn't in the locker room. He's still very much a part of the team, he just can't suit up. Thinking that when Torts says the locker room is fine right now means that Drury isn't around or helping would seem to be a bit presumptious to me.

Also, I don't think anyone would've thought Boyle would have 5 goals this whole year, nevermind having 10 already. I hope he keeps it up all year, but I won't be surprised if he finishes around 15.

mti79 is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 05:01 AM
  #62
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Just because Drury isn't on the ice doesn't mean he isn't in the locker room. He's still very much a part of the team, he just can't suit up. Thinking that when Torts says the locker room is fine right now means that Drury isn't around or helping would seem to be a bit presumptious to me.

Also, I don't think anyone would've thought Boyle would have 5 goals this whole year, nevermind having 10 already. I hope he keeps it up all year, but I won't be surprised if he finishes around 15.
A couple things about Boyle. Even if he tails off he's ideally suited for the 4th line anyway. He has the size, the penalty killing and goals or not he's a lot better skater this year which allows him to be a more physical player. A possible comparison might be a Joel Otto who was very physical--had great size and used to be considered the best checking line center in the league. There are things that Boyle obviously still has to improve on to be considered as good as Otto--faceoffs for one--but he's turned the corner as far as being an NHL player--for instance if he weren't in the lineup against Pittsburgh tonight there would be plenty of people wondering wtf's going on.

As for Drury--Tortorella seems to have a lot of faith in him--more than I do. I don't think he's going anywhere at least this season. There's an opportunity to buy him out like the OP pointed out during the off season. I don't think it's going to happen. He's very good at some things. Whether he can still put up good offensive numbers remains to be seen. The team is getting younger and new leadership is emerging from the younger core. There is a time for everyone to go. Hanging onto the past is a good way to **** up your team.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 05:59 AM
  #63
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
If it means landing Richards or Semin, you buy him out after this year.

That $1.67 million hit in the summer of 2012 will be conserved with Avery, Roszival, Christensen, and even Biron coming off the books.

$1.67 million is nothing for a big market team. Just because they have money to spend, doesn't mean that all the cap room must be used every year. Have some youngsters play and save some cap room that way.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 07:01 AM
  #64
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
Drury will have his cast taken off this week. He is due for the CT scan after that. If everything checks out,he'll be back soon. When did Drury have a cast placed on his finger? When he broke his finger,nothing about any cast was reported.

Why would the Rangers buy Drury out? When the contract expires after 2012,the Rangers have $7 million of cap space. No reason to re-sign him. He can still be a useful player for the duration of his contract.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 07:53 AM
  #65
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
I say buy him out or force him to retire.
Classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
He is nothing more than a waste of cap space and a distraction at this point.
How exactly is he a distraction? Because he had one off year? Wow.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 08:21 AM
  #66
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
He is a distraction because he is the captain who is not a good leader, and he is overpaid. He shouldn't be captain, and is nothing more than a 4th liner now.

Do we want young players to compare themselves to Drury when it comes to salary negotiations?

Rangers44* is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 08:26 AM
  #67
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
How can you say this? do you think Drury would have 10 goals by now if he was healthy? Do you think dru would even have 5 at this point? Boyle is on pace for 30 plus goal season this year, is relatively young, has size, is willing to fight, is good on the penalty kill, and if torts would ever put him in front of the net on the powerplay he may really start to produce. I am not worried if he can keep this up, but I have seen enough to know that Boyle is developing into the player he can be, whereas Drury is winding down and is a shell of the player we thought we were getting when he was signed. Drury does not need to be resigned when his contract is up, we are trying to get younger and by then I am hoping some younger players like Horak will be ready to push for a job that drury doesn't need (4th line for 2.5 million).
So, one season in which Drury got knocked silly with a concussion in November and then was specifically used in a defensive role by his head coach with little to no power play time is enough for you, clearly a developed hockey mind, to deem him washed up?

And even better, after a hot 25 games, you're ready to declare Brian Boyle a sure thing to be a good player?

I wish I had the ability to irrationally jump to conclusions like that - must make it really easy to make up your mind.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 09:11 AM
  #68
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why would the Rangers buy Drury out? When the contract expires after 2012,the Rangers have $7 million of cap space. No reason to re-sign him. He can still be a useful player for the duration of his contract.
The only reason to do so would be to go after Richards this summer.

If we intend to sign Richards, I think we could see Rozy traded at the draft to clear some space, and then on July 1st the Rangers go hard after Richards. If they get him, Drury will be bought out if he can't be traded, depending on how much cap space we need to clear.

We should end up with a 2nd buyout option considering we have 3 players up for arbitration.

But I don't think it's a given that we go after Richards. It would probably be smarter cap-wise to not sign him and just let Drury and Rozy contracts expire, given the uncertainty of the next CBA. Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything to improve our team next year.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 09:43 AM
  #69
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
He is a distraction because he is the captain who is not a good leader, and he is overpaid. He shouldn't be captain, and is nothing more than a 4th liner now.

Do we want young players to compare themselves to Drury when it comes to salary negotiations?

1) How exactly is he not a good leader?

2) Because he's overpaid he's a distraction? How exactly?

3) I hardly think that Chris Drury invented the idea of taking the best offer he was given.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
  #70
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,959
vCash: 50
This is absolute lunacy. Why would the Rangers buy out their captain? Not to mention the fact that out team is 2nd worst in the league on faceoffs, but our penalty kill could use him desperately.

To the people saying he's a 4th liner, get over yourselves. Just because he's overpaid, does not make him a 4th liner. He had 32 points last year. That is 3rd line production, at worst. And he was injured, as well. Once he gets back into the swing of things, he'll be the Chris Drury we all know and love.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 10:01 AM
  #71
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
He is a distraction because he is the captain who is not a good leader, and he is overpaid. He shouldn't be captain, and is nothing more than a 4th liner now.

Do we want young players to compare themselves to Drury when it comes to salary negotiations?
Do you even know how negotiation works? Drury's agent goes into a meeting with Sather, and like every other sports agent EVER he says "we want [enter large amount of $ here]."

It's then Sather's job to say "no we aren't going to pay that much for Drury." But instead of saying that, I don't even think Sather negotiated at all. I think he just agreed to the first number that Drury's agent threw out there.

What sports agent do you know of goes into a meeting and says as his starting negotiation point: "well I don't think my client is worth this amount of money so we'll take less." None. The GM has to be the one to use his discretion when agreeing to these contracts because the agents are never going to ask for a contract that fits their clients worth; their job is to get their client the most amount of $$ possible.


Last edited by Stugots: 11-29-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Stugots is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
  #72
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
How can you say this? do you think Drury would have 10 goals by now if he was healthy? Do you think dru would even have 5 at this point? Boyle is on pace for 30 plus goal season this year, is relatively young, has size, is willing to fight, is good on the penalty kill, and if torts would ever put him in front of the net on the powerplay he may really start to produce. I am not worried if he can keep this up, but I have seen enough to know that Boyle is developing into the player he can be, whereas Drury is winding down and is a shell of the player we thought we were getting when he was signed. Drury does not need to be resigned when his contract is up, we are trying to get younger and by then I am hoping some younger players like Horak will be ready to push for a job that drury doesn't need (4th line for 2.5 million).
boyle is not willing to fight, he participates in scrums where everyone on the ice is involved. even if he did fight, thats hardly a reason to say hes better than drury.

you say boyle is good on the penalty kill and if in front of the net on the pp he may produce (just like voros, who didnt produce at all?), you can say the same for drury except drury is far better on the pk and is def better on face offs.

yes boyle is having a good year so far but as a 1st round pick for the kings he was traded to the rangers for a 3rd. imo he played poor last year. can he keep this up, who knows but all signs right now point to him being on a hot streak. if he odes it the whole year and next year that would greatly change my opinion of him. right now, im taking drury. if drury comes back and has an off year like last year that would change my opinion also.

chip chipperson* is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 10:08 AM
  #73
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
All I have to say is that I randomly met and was drinking with Kate Drury (Chris' Sister) on Saturday night in Hoboken. My girl and I watched the game with Kate, her husband and some of their friends. Really cool people...

I didn't bring up the buyout hahahaha

KreiMeARiver* is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 10:10 AM
  #74
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
He is a distraction because he is the captain who is not a good leader
How do you know this? Do you have access to the Rangers locker room? Everything i've heard and most of what i've seen he has been an adequate leader. Sorry but not every captain is going to be Mark Messier and to be quite honest those are nearly once in a franchise type captains.

Now, when Drury is done hear, it will be time for one of the kids to step in and lead, whether its Cally, Staal or Dubi. Whoever gets that C is not going to be Crosby or Ovechkin and at Drury's age will likely be a similar type role player, especially Cally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
I say buy him out or force him to retire. He is nothing more than a waste of cap space and a distraction at this point.
That will really entice other FA's to come and sign in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I just think it would be more financially responsible to let the contract run out after next season (2011-2012 season).
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Because he's worthless except for penalty killing, shot blocking and being a decent face-off man. And except for face-offs Callahan is way better. Blair Betts does what Drury does better than Drury for a lot less than $3 million a year.

What else does Drury have to do to convince you people that he can't play hockey anymore? Drury getting hurt was the best thing to happen to the Rangers so far this year.
Do you seriously believe that Blair Betts is a better player than Drury? That just asinine and shows you are either so blinded by Drury's contract or just don't know a thing about hockey.

And drury getting hurt was an absolute hindrance on this team. He is there leader, a great locker room guy (agree with me or not) and and damn good hockey player. He's no crosby and i never expected him to be but 20 goals and 20 assists is a huge addition for a team thats seemingly new identity is contributions from everyone.

Puckface NYR* is offline  
Old
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
  #75
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
Drury, who is coming off his worst year in the NHL just had 14 goals and 32 points. To call him a 4th liner is slightly absurd. He had squat for PP time and linemates for the majority of the season, and has only missed 20 goals twice in 11 years.

When he gets back people will get off this "Blair Betts" infatuation. Betts's career high in points, is barely 1/2 of Drury's career low

Please let that sink in.

Fitzy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.