HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez options

Old
11-28-2010, 07:22 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Can't we just give him to charity?
a lot of charities don't accept washed up, old and dirty donations

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Gomez is only 30. I doubt he's "washed up and old" just yet.

He's not a 7M$ player... never has been (outside of Sather's mind, that is) but he's still decent. He's not costing us games, as of yet, and should be producing better than he currently is. I don't think there's a much better option out there that would make this situation better/easier.

Plus we're pretty much at the top of the standings with him playing big minutes. Maybe his play, even though he's not producing offense, is helping the team still.

We shouldn't go to something drastic just yet. He was good last year, moreso on PP (regular season AND playoffs) than ES, but still useful. I highly doubt he just "lost" it. You just don't ditch your third scorer in a miracle push in the playoffs because he struggles off the gates.

JM2C

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Darth Joker

One thing I wouldn't do is buy him out. It's just not worth it, even in an absolute worse-case scenario.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Buyout Hamrlik and give the money to Gomez.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

To think that Hab fans, including a few on this board, were clamoring to replace Saku Koivu! Saku never had a season as dismal as this. He isn't tearing up the NHL with Anaheim, but wouldn't we be relieved if Gomez were matching his stats!

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Rutabaga

We need him to produce and have some points, even before considering any option.

If he doesnt, with his cap, he hurts the team, and his trade value is horrible.

For a buyout, i dont think its worth it, especially with two years at 3.8 and 4.8.

I wanna add also that i really find a lot of people impatient with the team...i know how the fanbase is, but after each loss, its really boring to see some people asking for this, and other ones asking for that...

Each team has weaknesses, even more with the salary cap, instead of trying to fix one problem and likely to create an other (you have to give up some pieces to get other ones...), we should build something on our strenghts...

If you wanna trade, who are you gonna move ? Except some prospects, we dont have a lot of assets with a good value on the market, and we would probably just create an other hole in the lineup

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Our defense is really solid, even if they're old. Even Picard is showing that he could play in the NHL whereas it was not that obvious in the summer.
Our bottom-6 players are all useful, with 2 young guys and their offensive touch, whereas Moen, Halpern and Pyatt are all playing a big part in our success in the PK.

The only real problem is Gomez. It could be much worse.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
To think that Hab fans, including a few on this board, were clamoring to replace Saku Koivu! Saku never had a season as dismal as this. He isn't tearing up the NHL with Anaheim, but wouldn't we be relieved if Gomez were matching his stats!
How dare you to talk about Koivu on a Habs board! He's gone!

Koivu should have never left.

He would be leading our team in goals.

Ovechkin: 10 goals
Saku Koivu: 9 goals

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Trade him in the summer. Until then, he can only be useful.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
KadoCH

I'm not saying Gomez will turn it around or anything but almost 100% chance nothing is going to happen with him during the season. Ideally will find a team with a lot of cap room at some point looking for #2 centre that we can send him to for next to nothing, but until the end of next season a buyout, AHL, or trade all look unlikely or unappetizing.

Last season he had something like 14 points through his first 31 games before he went and put up 45 in his last 47 hopefully he can some how find that form again.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:50 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Well, let him play and try to produce, whatever the way, or trade him for another big contract...

L4br3cqu3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:50 PM
RE-HABS

I think the Habs need to try the following;

(1) Demote him to the third line and put Eller in his spot. Let Eller play with Cammarelli and Pouliot. Put Gomez with Moen and Lapierre, make him earn his spot back and put Darche with Halpren and Pyatt. Also take away his PP time.

(2) This doesn't wake him up, press box for a game or two.

(3) This doesn't wake him up, AHL time. Even if he goes to the AHL and tears it up, no one would pick him up on re-entry as the cost is too high for a guy not producing.

(4) A trade won't be possible as the salary and length is a bad deal. Rangers would probably bite for Redden, but who wants that on the back end. I would take Drury as the money is the same and the contract is shorter, but we would probably have to send a top end prospect for that to happen. Oilers for Souray...again we would have to sweeten the deal, although Gomez would probably be their top centre with the way Horcoff is playing...maybe a Horcoff and someone else for Gomez???

Either way I think Martin and Gauthier have to at least put him in the bottom 6 or sit him in the press box for a couple of games. Sabres have been with Rivet, what makes Gomez untouchable to that?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Windymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
I'm not saying Gomez will turn it around or anything but almost 100% chance nothing is going to happen with him during the season. Ideally will find a team with a lot of cap room at some point looking for #2 centre that we can send him to for next to nothing, but until the end of next season a buyout, AHL, or trade all look unlikely or unappetizing.

Last season he had something like 14 points through his first 31 games before he went and put up 45 in his last 47 hopefully he can some how find that form again.
I think this could be done in a year or two, but right now and until July, not trade will be possible. No team will think making a deal.

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Windymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
We need him to produce and have some points, even before considering any option.

If he doesnt, with his cap, he hurts the team, and his trade value is horrible.

For a buyout, i dont think its worth it, especially with two years at 3.8 and 4.8.

I wanna add also that i really find a lot of people impatient with the team...i know how the fanbase is, but after each loss, its really boring to see some people asking for this, and other ones asking for that...

Each team has weaknesses, even more with the salary cap, instead of trying to fix one problem and likely to create an other (you have to give up some pieces to get other ones...), we should build something on our strenghts...

If you wanna trade, who are you gonna move ? Except some prospects, we dont have a lot of assets with a good value on the market, and we would probably just create an other hole in the lineup

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Our defense is really solid, even if they're old. Even Picard is showing that he could play in the NHL whereas it was not that obvious in the summer.
Our bottom-6 players are all useful, with 2 young guys and their offensive touch, whereas Moen, Halpern and Pyatt are all playing a big part in our success in the PK.

The only real problem is Gomez. It could be much worse.
I agree with time frame... we have time before to panic. We should just remove him from PP at this point and see. He can wake up anytime.

Old
11-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Windymind

Gomez vs Desharnais

Would you say that at this point, Desharnais would be better than him?

Gomez can't be on 3rd or 4th line. Too small, not suited for that role... I'd say, maybe 1-6 games, as a message... but not a permanent situation. He has to be kicked out if he can't make it on 1st or 2nd line.

Old
11-28-2010, 10:02 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post

Gomez can't be on 3rd or 4th line. Too small, not suited for that role... I'd say, maybe 1-6 games, as a message... but not a permanent situation. He has to be kicked out if he can't make it on 1st or 2nd line.
It isn't to be a permanent position, more of a wake up call. Pyatt isn't a big boy and he is doing fine in that role.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
m00ks

This team made its bed with Gomez and they must do everything in their power to get him going before resorting to anything drastic. This includes actually giving him offensive linemates who can spark his productivity as opposed to lining him up with Laps/Moen/insert-plugger-here.

That 6th spot was open to Pouliot but clearly he's still not ready to assume top 6 responsibilities. Eller has the talent but it's also clear that center is his preferred position and we seem to be grooming him to eventually replace Gomez down the line.

I think it's becoming evident that this need cannot be addressed internally and that we need to look elsewhere to fill the void.

So in short, I think the best/realistic option for now is to keep Gomez and get him a winger.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:25 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post

Gomez is not giving what he worth.

Can we replace him WITHOUT affecting the team (PP,PK, puck handling...)
If we save 7.3M in salary cap, what you do?
Can Desharnais replace Gomez entirely? im not sure.

What message you send to Gomez? It can go against you(the coach) if you bench him 3-4 games and the team starts or keep losing
the team is winning, there is no reason to bench him. There is stats that arent registered.

Look at Pyatt, why the hell in the world the habs keeps him in the lineup. My friend call him "the Void", he absorbs the talent and the energy of his teammates. Pyatt is doing great in PK and if you replace him, the team may start to allow more goals and starts losing.

Gomez help the team with his contribution to win.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:47 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Gomez for legwand? Similar contract lenght and gomez>legwand and we get cap space. Nashville has cap space and would have to shell out 5 million over 3 years extra(in salary) if the deal was made at end of year. We save almost 3 mil a year cap space. Thoughts?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:40 AM
neofury*

Gomez will stay a hab and even then be re-signed at the end of his contract. Book it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Gomez for legwand? Similar contract lenght and gomez>legwand and we get cap space. Nashville has cap space and would have to shell out 5 million over 3 years extra(in salary) if the deal was made at end of year. We save almost 3 mil a year cap space. Thoughts?
No-brainer on our part, but I doubt Nashville even considers it, and if they did, we'd have to kick in considerable +...

Legwand has been a disappointment, production-wise, since signing the new deal, but he's a guy that can still bring a lot to the table even if he's putting up sub-40pt seasons.

Having Legwand/Eller compete for 2nd-line minutes this year and next would be fine with me, especially if the 3M+ in cap space it provided went towards adding another top-6 caliber offensive player.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:12 AM
MathMan

I think option #1 has to be separating him from Cammalleri. That has not worked at all and both have been in the red together in terms of puck possession whereas they were in the black separately. Gomez was doing better with AKost and Cammy was doing better with Pleky. Maybe if 13-11 had a better winger than Moen it would work, but since being put with Cammalleri Gomez has actually started not producing scoring chances, whereas previously he was and was merely unlucky.

At least they're not giving the other team much of anything in terms of scoring chances, but obviously you'd want these two guys to do more than just hamstring the other guys' top line.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Nedved

am I the only one that thinks he goes through the motions. I never noticed as much last year, but this year he just seems to skate with the puck and look for a pass soon as he enters the zone even if the pass will create nothing. He just dishes it off and doesn't want it back.

Just be a better player gomez, 7 mill? lol. We had to of taken on one of the worse contracts on. . then again, who could of predicted halaks play and that we would end up with eller. I bet if we had eller before, Koivu stays in MTL.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:37 AM
shutehinside

Let me start by saying that I don't believe Gomez will be traded or bought out. That being said the only option the Habs have with ANY contract is 3 fold:

1) Trade
2) Buy out
3) Demotion (assuming no NMC is in effect)

Of the 3 options, all are available in Gomez's case so lets discuss each.

Trade. This in my opinion is the most likely of all the options. Even though Gomez has a high salary cap hit, this is only bad for teams who are close to the cap ceiling. Other teams struggle to get to the minimum amount every year and this is where Gomez is most valuable. His cap hit is $7+ M but his actual salary is diminishing in the final years of his contract. Because most of his contract has already been paid, it allows the lower income team to get closer to the cap floor without actually adding much more salary. There are more and more teams in this category as the cap continues to rise each year. Even if we don't get much, we'd still get rid of him and allow us to sign a player at the same cap hit but hopefully with more production.

Buy Out. This is another possible route available to the Habs. I would think that were we are right now and with several years left on Gomez's contract that this is less likely to happen. It's very rare when a team will buy out a player with multiple years of contract is left. In fact, there's only a hand full of examples, less so of larger contracts, Yashin says hi! This may be an option if Gomez continues to underperform and more importantly, if his attitude becomes detrimental to the teams performance. There's plenty of examples of players who sucked but were kept around because they were good team guys as well as the opposite where there were players who were seen as a cancer and traded for a bag of pucks. As long as Gomez doesn't become a distraction to the team and still has multiple years left on his contract, then I don't see this happening.

Demotion. This is IMO the least likely of the options available. Montreal is too classy an organization to do this and don't have a hostory of doing this. Gomez is more likely to sit in the press box for a year then play in Hamilton. This is by far the least likely to occur IMO.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Gomez will stay a hab and even then be re-signed at the end of his contract. Book it.
People need to realize Gomez isn't going anywhere. The sooner you make peace with that, the better your Habs experience will be. His an integral piece in the locker room.

Demoting him, putting him in the press box etc... are not even options.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
People need to realize Gomez isn't going anywhere. The sooner you make peace with that, the better your Habs experience will be. His an integral piece in the locker room.

Demoting him, putting him in the press box etc... are not even options.
You're mostl likely right, but if someone told you to find a way to dump Gomez this summer because Brad Richards is willing to sign with the team, would you consider it?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote