HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

dirty players in men's leagues

Old
11-25-2010, 01:33 PM
gustavssonForVezina

vCash: 500
dirty players in men's leagues

have you guys ever quit a league because of the dirty play? i'm referring to non checking men's leagues (beer leagues).

is it common to have to deal with players taking slashes at you/hitting you/acting tough even in a recreational no checking beer league?

Is this more common in hockey? What about sports like soccer that don't glorify acts of 'toughness' like these.

Last edited by gustavssonForVezina: 11-25-2010 at 01:46 PM.
gustavssonForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:49 PM
stallion19
DRW

I've only played in one rec ball hockey league but I've experienced the same tough guy act you described. I was wondering myself if all leagues are the same?

edit:
I've also played rec soccer and it's nowhere near the same type of bs that was present in rec hockey.

stallion19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I've played in a ton of adult rec leagues. Every no-hitting, gentlemen's league, easy going, fun league has at least one of these guys that just can't take it easy. Either he's just dirty, short tempered or plain stupid. So I find it pretty common in most beer leagues.

The plus side is that refs usually have a pretty low tolerance for that kind of BS, and once the goon in question earns a "reputation" for himself, he ends up with either a lot of ejections or a lot of time in the penalty box.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
blueberrydanish

We got a team that is practically a goon team in my league, handful of em that arent dirty players. Besides that just a few scattered dirty players throughout the league. I think what pisses me off most about these teams/players is when I see them do something lame and useless to one of my teammates. Like they will just throw a hit after the whistle...two-hand slash..for practically NO REASON at all(also alottttt of **** against these ppl goes uncalled in my league....), these infuriate me and Im sure if I see one bad enough I might not be able to stay as physically calm.

Ive never really been hit after a whistle though or anything too crazy(they usually only pick on smaller guys with blatent stuff, and for the sole reason they are smaller) but they do slash at me and play the body pretty hard and it really never bothers me personally, I mostly laugh cause more often than not I still end up with the puck or clear it.

I find the way to really get to these guys is just dont complain about it really, just take it and rub it in their face when ya beat them in a play. There have been times where I thought about filing an official complaint about these players...but in the end I know nothing would happen sadly.

If your whole league is filled with players like this, probably not awhole lot you can do but try and find another league unfortunately. I know around here the lower levels you will almost never find dirty play, and in the age requirementleagues(for "older" guys) the play is alot less chippy if you qualify for that.

If you dont have any other option....just maybe get a little bit better padding for the slashes n stuff, I know I invested in some better elbow pads with extended cuffs to take the wrist slashes I get and its done wonders. Besides that just try and shrug it off and realize that these guys are fkn schmuks that act like this to probably try and me macho badasses on the ice, which in the end makes them lame as hell for taking it to that level in a REC league.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:43 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
every team in the church league I play in has at leas 3 bone-heads that think that they are Sean Avery.

We just added some younger goon type defenseman to help out.

I'm a bigger guy and I don't get knocked down very easy I have had some guys charge me behind the net and go flying by on their butts after hitting me, and I had a guy who was bigger than me grab me at the hash marks, pushed me right into his own net, goalie, and crushing one of his own players behind the net.

On the Ice to the Ref he was saying "I let go of you at the hash marks" then after the game he said "Yeah I did it. I am getting old and you where going to score".

We are a self refed league. two teams will send one player each to ref a game they are not playing and so on and so forth.

I'm out for the 2nd week because of a groin pull hopefully I'll play next Fri.

Anyway, Yeah there are tones of chippy butt-heads in mens league.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:50 PM
gustavssonForVezina

question: is it okay to lift someone's stick in a no check beer league?

gustavssonForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavssonForVezina View Post
Definitely, very standard and legal hockey play at all levels.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I've played in a ton of adult rec leagues. Every no-hitting, gentlemen's league, easy going, fun league has at least one of these guys that just can't take it easy. Either he's just dirty, short tempered or plain stupid. So I find it pretty common in most beer leagues.

The plus side is that refs usually have a pretty low tolerance for that kind of BS, and once the goon in question earns a "reputation" for himself, he ends up with either a lot of ejections or a lot of time in the penalty box.
Very true. I referee a local men's league and a "geezer" league (among many other things). We mostly let the men's league play but I personally have zero tolerance for that sort of nonsense.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Frankie Spankie

Maybe if people in beer leagues wore decent equipment you wouldn't notice the dirty players.

But in all seriousness, I should probably be glad I'm not very good in the leagues I play in and don't carry the puck that often. I never really notice many other players being dirty and when I do, I usually just don't care. I do know a couple people that will hit me when I screen the goalie but it doesn't actually hurt or anything so I don't care, just figured it's part of the game even if it is a no hit league.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:24 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I do know a couple people that will hit me when I screen the goalie but it doesn't actually hurt or anything so I don't care, just figured it's part of the game even if it is a no hit league.
Ya, thats the norm

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:31 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Maybe if people in beer leagues wore decent equipment you wouldn't notice the dirty players.

But in all seriousness, I should probably be glad I'm not very good in the leagues I play in and don't carry the puck that often. I never really notice many other players being dirty and when I do, I usually just don't care. I do know a couple people that will hit me when I screen the goalie but it doesn't actually hurt or anything so I don't care, just figured it's part of the game even if it is a no hit league.
It is generally accepted but I have never understood that line of thinking in beer league. I've played D for a long while now and i don't know what a few crosschecks or slashes is going to do to the guy screening your goalie. I mean it's beer league. All I do try to get body position between him and the goal and make sure I'm in a position where I can tie up his stick when the shot/pass comes.

Every once in awhile maybe an attacking player will come in front of the net and initiate crosschecks and slashes on me first then maybe I'll give him a little whack back but nothing overboard.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I referee

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:52 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavssonForVezina View Post
Been called for it multiple times. The first lift they don't call, but if you are both fighting for the puck and you lift it a few times, they seem to think its a penalty...

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Been called for it multiple times. The first lift they don't call, but if you are both fighting for the puck and you lift it a few times, they seem to think its a penalty...
It's so unfortunate when that happens
Whats your guys opinion of the stick falling out of his/her hands during a stick lift because theyre not holding theyre stick hard enough?

Ampersand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
It is generally accepted but I have never understood that line of thinking in beer league. I've played D for a long while now and i don't know what a few crosschecks or slashes is going to do to the guy screening your goalie. I mean it's beer league. All I do try to get body position between him and the goal and make sure I'm in a position where I can tie up his stick when the shot/pass comes.

Every once in awhile maybe an attacking player will come in front of the net and initiate crosschecks and slashes on me first then maybe I'll give him a little whack back but nothing overboard.
When I've gone in front of the net, I'll expect contact. But by contact I mean the defender slides and starts bodying for position, and I'm trying to hold my ground. That is completely acceptable. Slashes and crosschecks? Really? are you that desperate/unable to actually play defence?

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:54 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Really? I've played hockey since I was 8 at so many levels, including beer league, I lift sticks like crazy, and have never once been called for it, which makes sense as it's just not a penalty. You guys must have some real terrible refs in Cali! Either that or very strange rules in your beer league (lots of beer leagues do have their own rules, for example in my league you can fire the puck down without icing starting at your own blue line, not the red line).

Old
11-28-2010, 10:03 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Really? I've played hockey since I was 8 at so many levels, including beer league, I lift sticks like crazy, and have never once been called for it, which makes sense as it's just not a penalty. You guys must have some real terrible refs in Cali! Either that or very strange rules in your beer league (lots of beer leagues do have their own rules, for example in my league you can fire the puck down without icing starting at your own blue line, not the red line).
It depends on how often and how high you lift the stick, and WHERE you do it,

If you lift on the shaft towards the hands, your probability of getting it called as a hook is extremely high now.

If you keep skating and lift near the blade and don't bring it over the guys head, etc, best description is to pop it up, you aren't going to get called.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:52 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
It depends on how often and how high you lift the stick, and WHERE you do it,

If you lift on the shaft towards the hands, your probability of getting it called as a hook is extremely high now.

If you keep skating and lift near the blade and don't bring it over the guys head, etc, best description is to pop it up, you aren't going to get called.
Well obviously you can't hook the hands or lift the stick up over the head, but a standard tap up or even sustained lift against guys in the crease is totally legal.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Well obviously you can't hook the hands or lift the stick up over the head, but a standard tap up or even sustained lift against guys in the crease is totally legal.
Agreed, but I don't think the poster was saying that was what he is getting called for, sounds like he is skating to get the puck and lifts the guys stick and holds it up there etc...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Well, if they're going to continue, get the puck and skate with your head down, pretending you're not aware a la Lindros. Just as one of those ****** bags step up to crank you, drop so you're still on one skate, but you have a knee close to the ice and flip that mafgar right over you.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
WDR357

Yah, I've left a league before due to the lack of enforcement by the league. I can tolerate some pushing and shoving but if people act out, a few games off would slow that behavior down. When the league administrators don't care, it's becomes pretty obvious.

I play in one league now with a team stocked with schmucks. One of them in particular likes to hit from behind and I've gotten into it with him over it. Not much you can do about those people. My guess is they have some leftover insecurities from childhood and think the ice is the place to let everyone know about it.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Nakket

For the stick lifting deal, especially in the C-league I play in, it's just crazy. Sure you can LIFT the stick (meaning, not near the hands), but you better be doing it to a player that you know is one of the better skaters. I have seen countless times just in one season where a player from my team or the other will stick lift a player legally, but because that player cannot skate very well, the stick lift throws them off balance. A penalty ensues and everyone gets angered.

As for dirty players, there are some in my league who like to piss with my goalie and hack him three or four times after the whistle. Never get called for it. The person who makes me the angriest is actually a girl. Don't ever win a face off against her, otherwise your stick is going to get hacked to crap. Oh, and what's else about her? She was chasing a puck to the boards with one of our bigger guys, SHE pushes him up against the glass taking him by surprise. HE, needing to balance from this surprise attack, falls over and accidentally takes her with him. Of course she's a girl and he's a big guy, so he gets the tripping penalty.

Nakket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
ryangib

there is def not any players in the league i play that would be considered "off limits" as far as lifiting sticks go. thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
stick lifting or blocking is not what I would consider dirty play or a penalty. The ref in your league would poop himself if he had to ref a game in my league.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
I don't lift the stick near their hands, but the ref's are in their defense, brutally terrible. They consider it hooking for some apparent reason. So if you lift their stick, you better be getting the puck on the first or second attempt, because anything more than that and I always seem to get the whistle. It's complete BS. I now play at TSC (which is where the LA Kings practice) and their officiating seems to be a little better.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote