HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parse Out Thru Feb; King Recalled; Schenn sent back to LA (UPD: 11/28)

Old
11-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Godamn amazing. I do not get why Kings fans have a hate on so bad for their captain. He only managed to silence critics by scoring 9g in 18gp (on pace for 41g would have put him 6th in the league last year) but as soon as he goes 4 games without a goal falling to an atrocious 34g pace (would have put him 12th) it's back to BROWN IS A THIRD LINER. Meanwhile Poni (15g, 30pts pace) and Simmonds (15g, 26pts pace) are legit top 6ers right?

People Brown is a legit top 6er on EVERY TEAM IN THE NHL. And no chemistry with Anze? Really? Anze and Brown were finding each other all other the ice earlier, it is the whole team in a slump, Anze and breaking up AK/DB is just another TM mix and match special if it happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Yah, I don't see it.
Because all the cool kids were doing it last year.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Wouldn't we have too many players if both Zeiler and Schenn are back up? Is King going down? So confused...
No since Schenn never really left. He has counted against the roster the whole time. The Kings will have 14fwd, 7d, 2g as most teams do with 3 players on IR.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:31 PM
lakings41

Quote:
Godamn amazing. I do not get why Kings fans have a hate on so bad for their captain. He only managed to silence critics by scoring 9g in 18gp (on pace for 41g would have put him 6th in the league last year) but as soon as he goes 4 games without a goal falling to an atrocious 34g pace (would have put him 12th) it's back to BROWN IS A THIRD LINER. Meanwhile Poni (15g, 30pts pace) and Simmonds (15g, 26pts pace) are legit top 6ers right?

People Brown is a legit top 6er on EVERY TEAM IN THE NHL. And no chemistry with Anze? Really? Anze and Brown were finding each other all other the ice earlier, it is the whole team in a slump, Anze and breaking up AK/DB is just another TM mix and match special if it happens.

Yah, I don't see it.

I didn't say he's a 3rd liner even though I set him up with Zeus. I just think he'd be better there. He's definitely not a top three player though, at least in my opinion. Second/Third line is where he's better suited.

I'm a huge Brown supporter even though it may seem otherwise but he does not have the high end skill set to collect hard and heavy passes nor can he deliver the finesse pass. He brings a phenomanal work ethic and a power game but it doesn't mesh well with Kopi because he never gets the puck back. You don't have to show me videos. I've watched every Kings game for over twenty years. I'm exhausted!

No need to turn this into a pissing match. I'm not trying to throw Brownie under the buss. I just think Willie brings a better possession element that Brown can't.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
I didn't say he's a 3rd liner even though I set him up with Zeus. I just think he'd be better there. He's definitely not a top three player though, at least in my opinion. Second/Third line is where he's better suited.

I'm a huge Brown supporter even though it may seem otherwise but he does not have the high end skill set to collect hard and heavy passes nor can he deliver the finesse pass. He brings a phenomanal work ethic and a power game but it doesn't mesh well with Kopi because he never gets the puck back. You don't have to show me videos. I've watched every Kings game for over twenty years. I'm exhausted!

No need to turn this into a pissing match. I'm not trying to throw Brownie under the buss. I just think Willie brings a better possession element that Brown can't.
So much fail.

1) you put Brown on your third line when you said:
Quote:
I'd like to see this:

Moller (until Ponno comes back) - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll - Simmonds
Schenn - Zeus - Brown
Cliffy - Richardson - Lewis/Westy
2) you did throw Brown under the bus.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:12 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Brown is definitely a top 6 forward, I think he belongs on the 2nd line but I don't mind him on the first line. I still think Moller should get called up and play that 1st line LW spot

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Brown is definitely a top 6 forward, I think he belongs on the 2nd line but I don't mind him on the first line. ...
(cropping mine)

I really agree with this point. To expand I don't really like the idea of labeling players as first line, second line, or third line. What matters is that a team has combinations that work together well and that these combinations accomplish the job that is required of a designated line. Right now the problem is not Dustin Brown. The problem is the 1LW spot. Right now Kopitar and Brown aren't being properly complimented. Furthermore, the player that Dean (hopefully) acquires doesn't have to be a traditional first liner either. What matters is that the player compliments the other two well.

Look at the second line for example. The Kings current second line is the best thing we have going right now. It makes little sense that a puck possession guy like Williams, a defensive center like Stoll, and a front of the net guy like Smyth would fit well together. They fit perfectly and form a formidable secondary (right now primary) scoring threat. The labels don't matter. What matters is that the line can score consistently enough to provide secondary scoring.

Getting back to Brown ... he can clearly score goals in this league. He has scored 30 goals before and despite his linemates this year he is on pace to do it again. Give him and Kopitar somebody who compliments them well and the first line will perform its job nicely.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
caper8

the problem with the Kings is that they thought, incorrectly, that the East coast teams were going to be a pushover and they discovered that the teams out East are a whole lot better than they thought.

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
lafan13

Quote:
the problem with the Kings is that they thought, incorrectly, that the East coast teams were going to be a pushover and they discovered that the teams out East are a whole lot better than they thought
Huh???
Im pretty sure this isnt why the kings are slumping...

Losses to SJ, CBJ, CHI .... 3 of the 6 losses were to west coast teams....

lafan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
caper8

Maybe you're right but It seemed to me like they didn't take the east coast teams seriuosly. Could be just my perception of things

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper8 View Post
Maybe you're right but It seemed to me like they didn't take the east coast teams seriuosly. Could be just my perception of things
"Didn't take them seriously?" Are you serious? The Kings flat-out suck right now. It has nothing to do with which conference they're playing.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post

First off, the video was there for two reasons...1) I think it demonstrates both Kopi and Browns biggest strengths nicely...Brown carries the puck using his good speed and drives hard at the D forcing them to back off, leaving it for Kopi who uses his amazing skill set to buy wait and have amazing patience only to feed it back to hard driving Brown. Brown creates space with his speed and size and Kopis offensive instincts then take over. 2) I love that goal!!!!! so no hard feelings.

It really makes no sense to pair Handzus and Brown, IMO. They play very similiar games, no need to put them together. Also, I think Kopi relies on Brown out there with him to create space for him. Poni just will not be able to create that since he does not have the speed to back the D off. And Brown is much more willing to go the dirty areas and pick up Kopis rebounds than Poni.

What wouldn't be terrible is Poni on the left side with Kopi-Brown. Poni could play that puck control game, while Brown creates space and Kopi snipes. That I like.

Last point, when you throw the teams leading goalscorer on a line with a defensive center and a guy who has 0 career goals behind a prospect and two players on pace to get less than 15 goals, that is throwing him under the bus.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:14 AM
lakings41

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
So much fail.

1) you put Brown on your third line when you said:

2) you did throw Brown under the bus.

1.) Read the whole sentence!

2.) I deserve a timeout then!

3.) DB's true calling is being a super-pest with some goal scoring ability. He can take games over by running over players and getting them off their game. They can also take that anchor off his chest. He'd be phenomanal without scoring pressure and being a captain. Identity crisis is the way I see it. I blame it on coaching as well.

We can chat on every thread. He's not the sole reason this team is struggling. We lack creativity and our coaching and philosphy is from the dinosaur ages. We need help and no magic wand or trade will help. It's really hard to outwork teams that have better skill-set, same work ethic and better coaching philosophies. Tippett has a bunch of no-namers that outclass us all the time! It's time to smell the coffee and spit the truth out!

Old
11-30-2010, 01:20 AM
lakings41

Quote:
First off, the video was there for two reasons...1) I think it demonstrates both Kopi and Browns biggest strengths nicely...Brown carries the puck using his good speed and drives hard at the D forcing them to back off, leaving it for Kopi who uses his amazing skill set to buy wait and have amazing patience only to feed it back to hard driving Brown. Brown creates space with his speed and size and Kopis offensive instincts then take over. 2) I love that goal!!!!! so no hard feelings.

It really makes no sense to pair Handzus and Brown, IMO. They play very similiar games, no need to put them together. Also, I think Kopi relies on Brown out there with him to create space for him. Poni just will not be able to create that since he does not have the speed to back the D off. And Brown is much more willing to go the dirty areas and pick up Kopis rebounds than Poni.

What wouldn't be terrible is Poni on the left side with Kopi-Brown. Poni could play that puck control game, while Brown creates space and Kopi snipes. That I like.

Last point, when you throw the teams leading goalscorer on a line with a defensive center and a guy who has 0 career goals behind a prospect and two players on pace to get less than 15 goals, that is throwing him under the bus.
Your points are well taken.

That video was in the beginning of October. We're going into December.

I don't even want Poni on the 1st line, but I really do want to see Williams on the right side. As for the left....what choices do we have? We can blame DL for now.

Bottom line is this whole team is struggling and JJ and DD need to be better. I'd love to see Jack actually take the body once this year with some meaning. As for Dustin like I said he's not really to blame but it's my opinion that he's in the wrong place. No harm, no foul! We're both Kings fans, just frustrated!

Old
12-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Johnny Utah

Send Schenn Back!

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Send Schenn Back!
To where?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
sjmay*

I don't know if I like Ponikarovsky on the Kopitar-Brown line, when he comes back, I think he and Handzus are a perfect pair on the 3rd line and strengthen that line tremendously, would be interesting to see Williams on that line, but that kills the Stoll line.

Schenn would be an interesting idea, but I don't think the Kings know what to do with him, they obviously don't want to send him to juniors, and they obviously don't want to jumpstart his ELC.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I don't know if I like Ponikarovsky on the Kopitar-Brown line, when he comes back, I think he and Handzus are a perfect pair on the 3rd line and strengthen that line tremendously, would be interesting to see Williams on that line, but that kills the Stoll line.

Schenn would be an interesting idea, but I don't think the Kings know what to do with him, they obviously don't want to send him to juniors, and they obviously don't want to jumpstart his ELC.
I think Schenn practices with the Kings until the WJC tournament where he plays for Canada. Following the tournament he gets traded by his junior team to a contender for a playoff run and when his season in juniors is over it's on to Manchester and the AHL playoffs. Not a bad year experience/development-wise and all done without burning a year off his ELC.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Millard
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I think Schenn practices with the Kings until the WJC tournament where he plays for Canada. Following the tournament he gets traded by his junior team to a contender for a playoff run and when his season in juniors is over it's on to Manchester and the AHL playoffs. Not a bad year experience/development-wise and all done without burning a year off his ELC.
Info on Schenn decision

www.thepipelineshow.blogspot.com

Millard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:32 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Harumph!

I didn't get a harumph out of the guy.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote