HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Puzzle Weber who to bump?

Old
11-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If he's going to get ice time as much as I love Picard it should be in his place.
Agreed. And it's not a smack against Picard to say it. I don't see why this is a big deal to anyone.

We cycle forwards all the time, or at least did until Boyd entered the perma doghouse. You need to do it to keep everyone ready in case they're needed.

Yet while we cycle Darche, Boyd, Pyatt, etc. early in the year, it's somehow unfair to cycle defensemen?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't see us retaining Picard's services, so I much rather we focus on Weber and letting him sit in the press box isn't the right way to go about developing him.
Cuz the Habs want to win? this is pro hockey not pokemon.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Winning teams bring players into the line-up and give them a chance to succeed.

Weber was only ever given one shot (two years ago in the playoffs) at his natural position, and only then because of massive injuries.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Right, because having Picard in or Weber in is the difference between winning and losing, and also the reality and pokemon.

Next time you quote me bring forth something a little more thought trough.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Why is it ridiculous?..Someone that will claim how Weber is a defensive liability should explain to me the reason behind this assessment seeing how Weber has yet to play on defense for us this year. What he's done in the previous seasons is irrelevant as young prospect improve. So it remain to be seen just how far off or ready Weber is this year.

I don't really care about Picard's play. Price/Halak or Price/Huet use to alternate even after having played good games at times. Picard has been great, but he is the #7 Dman and right now, if Weber is just going to be a filler in practice and a healthy scratch, then send him back down. If he's called up, then he should play, as simple as that. We're talking about a skilled D, he needs to play, not rot in the pressbox or be used as a forward.

If contract negotiations with Gill have indeed started, clearly, it means the organization sees him with us again. I'm guessing we will also re-sign Markov/Gorges. If we choose not to give a new contract to Hammer, then we will need to replace him.
So unless Weber really has no future with this organization, Picard will likely be gone.
The kid is 22, will be 23 by the start of next year, will be eligible to waivers, and only has 13 games of experience through 3years (2 of those games he played as a forward).

I don't see us retaining Picard's services, so I much rather we focus on Weber and letting him sit in the press box isn't the right way to go about developing him.

Yannick Weber 15PJ 8G 4A 12PTS -5

He has a hard time playing defense in the AHL. He CAN'T play D in the NHL.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Why is it ridiculous?..Someone that will claim how Weber is a defensive liability should explain to me the reason behind this assessment seeing how Weber has yet to play on defense for us this year. What he's done in the previous seasons is irrelevant as young prospect improve. So it remain to be seen just how far off or ready Weber is this year.

I don't really care about Picard's play. Price/Halak or Price/Huet use to alternate even after having played good games at times. Picard has been great, but he is the #7 Dman and right now, if Weber is just going to be a filler in practice and a healthy scratch, then send him back down. If he's called up, then he should play, as simple as that. We're talking about a skilled D, he needs to play, not rot in the pressbox or be used as a forward.

If contract negotiations with Gill have indeed started, clearly, it means the organization sees him with us again. I'm guessing we will also re-sign Markov/Gorges. If we choose not to give a new contract to Hammer, then we will need to replace him.
So unless Weber really has no future with this organization, Picard will likely be gone.
The kid is 22, will be 23 by the start of next year, will be eligible to waivers, and only has 13 games of experience through 3years (2 of those games he played as a forward).

I agree with you on some points and disagree on others. First of all, Weber shouldn't be up with the Canadiens, period. If you're going to have a 7th D that might be plugged in here and there, make it a career AHLer like Henry, a veteran guy who won't get ruffled out there when push comes to shove. Weber should have his Subban year, where he dominates the AHL (or something like that). As far as Picard is concerned, he seems like an ideal 6th defenseman for this year and next, too. He may have had bigger issues in year's past but he honestly has no problem playing D against the opposing team's 3rd and 4th lines. Sure Weber has the big shot, but i prefer Picard's overall game right now, and i assume the coaches do too.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
Everybody wants to see where Weber is at... benching Darche wasn't the best move.

1) Should we bench a forward?
2) Should he take the place of Picard?
3) Should he take the place of Spacek (to give him some rest)?

Weber should be back in Hamilton where he'll get playing time at a level he can perform at. He shouldn't be called up to Montreal until one of the 6 defencemen we have in the lineup right now get hurt. Its no good to have Weber sitting in the press box in Montreal when he can play in Hamilton fulltime.

Picard and Spacek are playing fine right now, there is no reason to take either of those guys out to make room for Weber....if Weber was an NHL caliber defencemen, he would have stole a spot in training camp like Subban did.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
Yannick Weber 15PJ 8G 4A 12PTS -5

He has a hard time playing defense in the AHL. He CAN'T play D in the NHL.
Gill is -5..I guess he can't play defense in the NHL.
Gorges is -1..I guess he's struggling as well.
Pyatt is -3..he must be quite the crappy defensive forward.
Picard is +8..I guess he's our best Defensive Dman.

Got some more great insight you want to share?

Old
11-29-2010, 01:47 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
I laughed ... but you have a point... if picard > weber today .... then picard should play.

Quote:
Right, because having Picard in or Weber in is the difference between winning and losing, and also the reality and pokemon.

Next time you quote me bring forth something a little more thought trough.
before I begin; Turboflex 's post is probably more thought through than yours, if anything. show a little sense of humour and read between the lines... instead of trying to flash any kind of notoriety...which you don't have at all. (neither do I). that would make discussions that much more enjoyable.

Suggesting picard should be out for weber is up for debate. IMHO you don't sit a solid 5 on 5 player (with PP 2nd waive abilities) for a guy who supposedly will ''fix'' our PP. The mere fact Weber was tried up front suggest that even the organization does not think he is good enough for nhl Dman 5 on 5 duties. (or they think all our Ds > weber)

On another note, I like to think teams value effort and consistency over wishfull thinking (PP fix). on top of that, I personally think Picard is still young and has the potential to be better than weber in the NHL. suppose what you want to do with this player is give him confidence ... especially when he does everything he is asked for ... wait for a slip or a bad game to demote him... don't make him feel like he's expandable... he already knows he is always on the edge... that's enough pressure if you ask me... more pressure could interfere with his development imho.

weber will have his shot when someone will go down or if someone has a terrible stretch... that's how it worked for subban ... that's how it will work for weber.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 11-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:07 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

I wouldn't put too much thoughts into that particular stat, like you pointed out... (especially in a small margin) but on the other hand remember that weber is not ''destroying'' the AHL like its often stated here. the + or - can lie to you, but on the other hand its not like weber is on pace to be anywhere near subban's +46 ... weber is doing good... but not spectacular.

Old
11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I'd have Weber in Hamilton until he has a chance to play D for the Habs. Right now, we have 6 D who are better, (or at least, who are clearly more established and shouldn't be sitting), so Weber should be playing in Hamilton IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
QcnARF

Get rid of Gomez. Don't sign Markov and Hammer. Offer big money to Shae?

QcnARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
GoodKiwi

Let Weber enjoy this promotion and collect a nice paycheck which, I'm sure, he does not mind doing in slightest. Somehow this always gets lost on HF when it comes to prospects.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Let Weber enjoy this promotion and collect a nice paycheck which, I'm sure, he does not mind doing in slightest. Somehow this always gets lost on HF when it comes to prospects.
? I don't think *any* of us are framing it in terms of what Weber wants. And why should we? It goes without saying he'd rather be in the NHL and collect the big paycheque. But... we want him to develop into an NHL defenseman, and think that playing, on defense, is the best way for him to do that. He is naturally expected to disagree with that. People were surprised/shocked when Pacioretty went against that grain, right? We don't expect the Spanish Inquisition to come knocking a second time. Weber should be in the AHL. Regardless of what he prefers.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

Gil and Gorges plays against 1st liners all the time. Picard not so much, that might explain. I'm not a big fan of +/- but in some cases it really tell things.

Weber, on the other hand, is playing against 2nd and 3rd liners. A big difference. Weber is just another Streit, Bergeron and Souray.

Btw, don't get your panties in a bunch when you get contradicted, it's probably Crossfit Laval that is feeding you Roids.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Aurel Joliat

Take the place of Picard without a doubt. I want to see him have a real chance on our PP. And I hate to see a defenceman on the wing

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
? I don't think *any* of us are framing it in terms of what Weber wants. And why should we? It goes without saying he'd rather be in the NHL and collect the big paycheque. But... we want him to develop into an NHL defenseman, and think that playing, on defense, is the best way for him to do that. He is naturally expected to disagree with that. People were surprised/shocked when Pacioretty went against that grain, right? We don't expect the Spanish Inquisition to come knocking a second time. Weber should be in the AHL. Regardless of what he prefers.
Let him stay in the NHL for a bit and collect the dough. He's played enough in the AHL and he will play there again. This brief stint in the majors won't affect his development in any way.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Seriously. I already said this once, but go ask Weber if he prefers to be collecting $3500 a day or 200$ a day paycheck, and also living NHL style room & board vs AHL bus lines. I'm sure the guy will be back in the AHL soon enough but if anything this time up as spare 7th dman is a reward from the Habs org. He can pay off all his credit card bills & save up a down payment on a home, all for some light work. Not a bad deal for a guy who's hardly guaranteed a big money pro-hockey future.

Old
11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
before I begin; Turboflex 's post is probably more thought through than yours, if anything. show a little sense of humour and read between the lines... instead of trying to flash any kind of notoriety...which you don't have at all. (neither do I). that would make discussions that much more enjoyable.
If you would, or Turboflex would have read the many posts I have previously written on the subject at hand, you would have realized that the main idea behind them is that Weber needs to play. I said, if not in the NHL, drop him in AHL.
Managing your prospect should not be overlooked simply because the main objective is to win games. Calling up a hot defensive prospect only to scratch him or make him play forward is not the ideal scenario. Also, it isn't a necessity. We could call up Henry, or even Carle.

But also, if Markov was healthy, Picard would be sitting. So, we can take him out of the lineup without it causing a huge uproar. At the same time, we could try out Weber to at least see if he's showing any signs of improvement. If not, fine, but send him down so he could see some action. Or did you disagree with MaxPac when he said making one mistake and being benched or watching games from the press box wasn't good for him?..Why should it be any different with Weber.

This wasn't the point of my response though. The idea that inserting Weber in the lineup would lead us to lose or be any worse than with Picard, which was pretty much insinuated, is not one I agree with.

Quote:
Suggesting picard should be out for weber is up for debate. IMHO you don't sit a solid 5 on 5 player (with PP 2nd waive abilities) for a guy who supposedly will ''fix'' our PP. The mere fact Weber was tried up front suggest that even the organization does not think he is good enough for nhl Dman 5 on 5 duties. (or they think all our Ds > weber)
Making Weber play is not only to ''fix'' our PP. Matter of fact, that is exactly what Martin tried, which is why he was used as a Forward and then placed on the Point during PPs. But please tell me why you think Weber wouldn't be as solid as Picard?..What has he done this year in order for you to believe he isn't capable of filling a #6 role?..
The organization also kept MaxPac up with us last year when most here wanted him sent down. Martin is a firm believer of experience. Picard is used there ahead of Weber because of his experience, it's as simple as that. That's also why he was placed ahead of O'Byrne. It has nothing to do with whether or not the organization believes he isn't ready.

The way I look at it though, is that if Weber is given a chance, and turns up to be pretty decent in his zone on top of contributing on the PP, then he might be of more use to us than Picard. If he's not, or won't even get a chance to show it, then send him back down.
Quote:
On another note, I like to think teams value effort and consistency over wishfull thinking (PP fix). on top of that, I personally think Picard is still young and has the potential to be better than weber in the NHL. suppose what you want to do with this player is give him confidence ... especially when he does everything he is asked for ... wait for a slip or a bad game to demote him... don't make him feel like he's expandable... he already knows he is always on the edge... that's enough pressure if you ask me... more pressure could interfere with his development imho.
I'm glad you brought up the development side of Picard. What about the development part of Weber?..You forgot about that?
Picard was picked up as a 7th Dman. I think he's pretty aware that it's up to him ot make things right, and he has so far. That being said, there's nothing wrong with alternating him and Weber, just like there was nothing wrong with sitting Halak after great games last year in order to make Price play.

This isn't a Picard vs Weber debate. It's about developing both. If Weber isn't given a chance, then send him down, let him dominate as he was, and call up Henry.

Quote:
weber will have his shot when someone will go down or if someone has a terrible stretch... that's how it worked for subban ... that's how it will work for weber.
Subban was called up to play 2 games when Markov had to sit a few ones out. When he came back, Subban was sent back down. He was called up again in the POs due to injuries, and PLAYED at his respective position.
Weber on the other hand, was used as a Forward, something he understandably isn't comfortable with, and has now been watching games from the press box. It is in no way comparable to Subban's situation.

Old
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Seriously. I already said this once, but go ask Weber if he prefers to be collecting $3500 a day or 200$ a day paycheck, and also living NHL style room & board vs AHL bus lines. I'm sure the guy will be back in the AHL soon enough but if anything this time up as spare 7th dman is a reward from the Habs org. He can pay off all his credit card bills & save up a down payment on a home, all for some light work. Not a bad deal for a guy who's hardly guaranteed a big money pro-hockey future.
And what do you think his objective is?...To make 3500$ for a couple of weeks?..or keep improving in order to get that guaranteed big money in the near future???...You're right, I'm sure he's a lot more interested in getting that 3500$ now..

At the end of the day though, why should you care what he prefers?..Don't you think it's up to you to develop him well?..And don't you think he will develop from PLAYING (at his respective position, in the NHL or AHL), rather than being sat on his ass??...

Old
11-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
And what do you think his objective is?...To make 3500$ for a couple of weeks?..or keep improving in order to get that guaranteed big money in the near future???...You're right, I'm sure he's a lot more interested in getting that 3500$ now..

At the end of the day though, why should you care what he prefers?..Don't you think it's up to you to develop him well?..And don't you think he will develop from PLAYING (at his respective position, in the NHL or AHL), rather than being sat on his ass??...
dude you're getting hysterical here, try and calm down. If he's good enough he'll make it to the NHL, plain and simple. Players who are good enough have gone completely unnoticed, and had years of injuries before making it. A few weeks or even months of practicing with the NHL team (being evaluated every day by team staff), whilst collecting 12x his regular paycheque is a huge reward for an AHLer.

Old
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
JrHockeyFan

Weber should get some game time, or go back to the AHL. Sitting is useless

Is he good enough? If he plays a few games we might know better at present. Catch 22

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:17 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

1) But please tell me why you think Weber wouldn't be as solid as Picard?..

2) Martin is a firm believer of experience. Picard is used there ahead of Weber because of his experience, it's as simple as that. That's also why he was placed ahead of O'Byrne. It has nothing to do with whether or not the organization believes he isn't ready.

3) The way I look at it though, is that if Weber is given a chance, and turns up to be pretty decent in his zone on top of contributing on the PP, then he might be of more use to us than Picard. If he's not, or won't even get a chance to show it, then send him back down.

4) I'm glad you brought up the development side of Picard. What about the development part of Weber?..You forgot about that?
Picard was picked up as a 7th Dman. I think he's pretty aware that it's up to him ot make things right, and he has so far. It's about developing both. If Weber isn't given a chance, then send him down, let him dominate as he was, and call up Henry.

5) Subban was called up to play 2 games when Markov had to sit a few ones out. When he came back, Subban was sent back down. He was called up again in the POs due to injuries, and PLAYED at his respective position.
Weber on the other hand, was used as a Forward, something he understandably isn't comfortable with, and has now been watching games from the press box. It is in no way comparable to Subban's situation.

6)This isn't a Picard vs Weber debate.

1) I will give all the intangibles to weber (beast on PP, great 1rst pass) ... but no, he wouldn't be as ''solid''. Physical play, lack of experience, the impression he wants to leave ... combine those into an answer.

2) I think this is the kind of situation where organizations and coaches try to put themselves in a win-win situation. he can't be labeled with anything that is close to ''solid'', ''consistent'' or ''reliable''. That doesn't mean the organization wouldn't be happy that he'd get a chance to play if an injury occurs. To win hockey games now ... weber won't get picked as a Dman. He is 22 , and all he needs is 2 games and get to be sent down.

3) I agree, but he isn't ''more'' of use than picard... he's different... as I don't think he is able (at this point) to sustain the rushes of 3rd and 4th lines in our own division. For me its the same situations than having a talented forward unable to play in the top 6. this is why ie: white has more chance to get called than desharnais.

4) I don't think the development should be made at the expense of another developing Dman... especially one who is currently well ahead in his role. I think weber is here for an evalutation/experience rather than a fair shot at it. Its relevant for them to see how close he is to be able to play without being a liability. I agree with your idea to get Henry as 7th... but weber earned the call... which I also agree with. I think weber is 1rst to go in if we get hit by injuries... but I also think martin and gauthier wanted to reward him and want to fit him in the lineup a couple of times before sending him down.

5) I agree they have to play him defense, but I don't think it will happen unless there is a player who'd need to sit. subban is one in a milion... other dmans need more time to round up their game... ie: (just on a physical note) subban > weber.

6) I agree but you certainly made it look like one.

Its implied in your post that you don't really value picard highly or see him here for very long... but the guy just turned 25 ... and has more than 200 nhl games under his belt. He wasn't ready for half of it... but struggling teams had no choice but to play him (senators) ... he didn't do bad at all when you look at the big picture. He probably had tons of braincramps in the learning process (which made sens fans dislike him) ... but our team today is cashing in on fact that they threw the towel too soon... at 25 years old, Alex picard is already and established, disciplined bottom pairing dman in the NHL.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
dude you're getting hysterical here, try and calm down. If he's good enough he'll make it to the NHL, plain and simple. Players who are good enough have gone completely unnoticed, and had years of injuries before making it. A few weeks or even months of practicing with the NHL team (being evaluated every day by team staff), whilst collecting 12x his regular paycheque is a huge reward for an AHLer.
I'm hysterical?...
We are discussing the use of Weber. You're talking about him being happy of making 3500$ for a couple weeks. Who cares?
Kid needs to play, plain and simple. Giving him a little extra cash is completely irrelevant to this conversation.
He's shown signs of a fragile confidence before, scratching him and keeping him away from games certainly won't help. But hey, it's okay, he gets to practice and make 3500$, it's an important phase of his development...woohoo...