HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Uni Ads

View Poll Results: When it comes to corporate ads on NHL Game Jerseys:
I'm old school, they should never be allowed. 30 68.18%
I could live with one tactfully placed patch but no more than one. 8 18.18%
I couldn't care less, let them sell as many sponsorships as they want; it's the American way. 2 4.55%
I haven't decided yet... I'm open minded to both arguments. 3 6.82%
Who cares. I have more important things to worry about. 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Uni Ads

The Flyers practice jerseys now have a sponsor and a Toyota patch on the right side of the chest, off the Flying 'P' logo.

The AHL teams can have ads on their jerseys and other sports, such as European soccer and NASCAR, have ads... It's a slippery slope with such things and IMO may only be a matter of time before the NHL teams sell off rights to have a company or more to place patches on game day unis.

Remember when the dashers were white as the driven snow?... Remember when the Ice had only team logos and the occasional United Fund, Olympic or commemorative logo and no corporate logos? And then one dasher ad multiplied and multiplied and multiplied... until there is no inch without a crammed in add for Fried Chicken or State Lotteries or whatever. The ice now has as many as four corporate ads between the blue lines alone, and writing off the blue lines at times also.

Can we be naive enough to think that the day is not coming where NHL teams have sponsors on game jerseys?... Could the day come where we see jerseys looking like Dale Earnhardt Jr's race car with many corporate ads?

How do you feel about it?

Last edited by Sawdalite: 11-29-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Mosetter27

give me a gun to kill whom ever may let this happen to NHL jerseys

I LOVE Fin, Sweed & Russian jerseys (SM-Liga, Elitstren, KHL) but the ad's DRIVE ME INSANE!!!!

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd624 View Post

I LOVE Fin, Sweed & Russian jerseys (SM-Liga, Elitstren, KHL) but the ad's DRIVE ME INSANE!!!!
This.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I watch a lot of soccer and F1, so I am completely accustomed to it.

But I don't want it to get too out of hand.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
2Claude2Giroux

I don't really care honestly. It's how the world is.

The NHL is profitable enough to not have to put ads all over the uniforms but I wouldn't mind a small ad or two on there.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

Yes, I forgot to mention Euro hockey teams also have ads... Hard to believe that the Capitalistic North American major sports owners haven't blazed the way on this. Is it possible that that has somehow been legislated out? Could our politicians even do that? I seriously doubt it, but don't know any other reason there is no major league team with sponsors of which I am aware.

Old
11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't really like the idea, but I could be convinced. Some of the Euro jerseys aren't all that bad with the ads. I think what will come first is ads on the ice though, like they have over in Europe.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't really like the idea, but I could be convinced. Some of the Euro jerseys aren't all that bad with the ads. I think what will come first is ads on the ice though, like they have over in Europe.
The NHL has had ads on the ice for years... Started with one company and now u to four separate ones around the center Face Off circle.

The image below has two corporate sponsors with two ads each (may be old photo). Many, if not all, now have four separate ads.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 11-29-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old
11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
i am dave

I am in favor of anything (that doesn't affect the way the game is played) that increases league-wide revenue.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The NHL has had ads on the ice for years... Started with one company and now u to four separate ones around the center Face Off circle.

The image below has two corporate sponsors with two ads each (may be old photo). Many, if not all, now have four separate ads.

I know, but I'm talking serious ads like in Europe, I should have been more exact in what I meant. The ads in Europe are all over the place, not just four in the neutral zone.

That's the best one I could find on a quick search.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I know, but I'm talking serious ads like in Europe, I should have been more exact in what I meant. The ads in Europe are all over the place, not just four in the neutral zone.

Holy ****, Batman!!!

I see what you mean... but hope you are wrong in thinking that THAT is coming to the NHL at any point in time.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Holy ****, Batman!!!

I see what you mean... but hope you are wrong in thinking that THAT is coming to the NHL at any point in time.
Yeah I am not a fan of those either, but I think they are more likely than on jerseys. Jerseys in the NHL are like sacred (or at least they were at one point). I feel like the NHL values their jerseys more than in other sports, but the ice seems like fair game. They put more "ads" on the ice for special things like the playoffs and holidays and such already, and they are now putting ads on the glass this season (maybe it started before, but I can't remember). Either way, my guess is more ads on ice before anything comes close to a jersey. But like I said in my first post, I am currently against ads on jerseys (and ice), but I could be persuaded.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:45 PM
ashamsmashem

nope.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:46 PM
CTU2fan

I don't mind ads on the boards...but ads on the ice are crap, and ads on the jerseys are worse. It's bad enough that all Nike's international jerseys have swooshes all over the place, ugh.

Anybody remember back in the 80s Grant Fuhr wanted to put ads on his pads, and the league said no? Fuhr was kind of a pioneer when it came to his gear; he was one of the first guys with team-colored gear when most of the league was still rocking brown pads.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:48 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
No they look like ****. Unless they lower ticket prices, then I'd deal with it.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashamsmashem View Post

nope.
whos jersey is that?

(player)

Old
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:

that picture is sometime between 2003-2006

favoring the 03-04 due to the length of ATL #24's name

Old
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:

thats 09-10... KHL

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...050242010.html theres the roster notice Kariya, Martin & the goalie martin pruscek..

Old
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
that picture is sometime between 2003-2006

favoring the 03-04 due to the length of ATL #24's name
Yeah, thanks... Just noticed the the copyright was 2002.

Old
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The problem is, I'm sure even if they put ads on the jerseys and still have the ads all over the boards in the arena, they will still have commercials, making ads on the jerseys completely pointless and unforgiving.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The problem is, I'm sure even if they put ads on the jerseys and still have the ads all over the boards in the arena, they will still have commercials, making ads on the jerseys completely pointless and unforgiving.
They sponsor the top hit, check of the game, save of the game, top assist, Peco's power play, each TastyKake goal, the arena itself, each step up and down the lower bowl, the main bar area, the orange tee shirts they hand out, 98% of the pages in the game program, the signs they give to hold up, the bobble heads/giveaways... now they superimpose ads on the glass behind the nets on TV broadcasts.

The only thing that I can see left to sponsor is the commercials... "The following Xfinity commercial is brought to you by our friends at Nextell".

Old
11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
flountown

I believe the NHL has if not a rule, at least a directive that no sponsorships are allowed on the team jerseys. I am not too concerned with them on practice jerseys, but I absolutely love them on Euro jerseys, although it makes finding specific years a real pain. I am for advertisements everywhere else though, get that revenue going so we can raise the CAP.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:42 AM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Don't want.

Putting sponsors decals on cars is flat-out not the same thing. I'm being selfish here (as the revenue would benefit each team), but I think plastering advertisements all over the jerseys looks really, really bad.

And if nothing else, I don't want to see the NHL be the first of the big 4 to succumb to this.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:32 AM
chaosof99*

This is what I have to put up with in local professional hockey:

If at all possible, I'd like to try and avoid such a scenario. I think the way soccer jerseys work is decent enough, having a single companies logo on the front, but that space is used up in the NHL for the team crest, which looks great and should be kept that way, much less the jersey being literally plastered with all sorts of logos.

In the above example from my hometown team we have logos for the following:
* a brewery
* a bank
* an insurance agency
* a bakery chain
* a tourism agency
* a sports retail store
* an electronics retailer
* a newspaper
* an electricity company
* the city run utility company
and a couple smaller one's I can't make out.

Hell, they even got a Burger King logo on the back of the pants, not visible on the image above. No thank you. Unfortunately, the local hockey business is so small that it can only survive by taking up all these sponsorships. The NHL on the other hand is definitely not. The only reason I can see putting ads on the jersey is to enlarge profits. While the dollar is almighty, I would rather have aesthetically pleasing jerseys than players who look like an advertisement collage.

And finally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Doyle
Well fans, Roger Dorn has done a little redecorating around the ballpark. The outfield walls now look like the yellow pages. And any of you folks having trouble finding a good proctologist, might want to come down here and check out the area around the 375 foot sign. As for the game, we've got a real nailbiter here tonight. It's a lot closer than that 11-2 score.

Last edited by chaosof99*: 11-30-2010 at 03:42 AM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Flyguys22

Im ok with the logos on the ice, but now the people at home have to stare at the large add on the glass too??? Dont forget about this new addition

Flyguys22 is offline   Reply With Quote