HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are worse this year then last year

Old
11-29-2010, 05:25 PM
JetsMetsIsles

vCash: 500
Why are worse this year then last year

Why are we so much worse this year then last year. Our defense has improved imo even without Streit. Okposo injured hurts our offense but in a year when I thought we would improve or atleast be the same as last year we are much much worse. What is the biggest reason for such a tremendous decline when all signs say we should be moving forward.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
things fell apart when macdonald and jurcina got hurt. 5 dmen are injured and gervais cheekbone is broken or fractured or something leaving us with 6 dmen hurt. also, the islanders lost depth up front and never replaced it and the offense blows.

before the season started we lost our best forward and best dman that are out for a while which would hurt any team.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Why are we so much worse this year then last year. Our defense has improved imo even without Streit. Okposo injured hurts our offense but in a year when I thought we would improve or atleast be the same as last year we are much much worse. What is the biggest reason for such a tremendous decline when all signs say we should be moving forward.
You just answered your own question, basically.

With Streit being out, his loss offsets any improvements in the rest of the defense. Sure, the team added a few more bottom pairing guys to replace AHL fodder, but also lost their only legitimate top pairing guy along the way to injury. So the net result due to Streit's injury is the defense remained the same (if not worse, since they no longer have a legitimate top pairing player now).

And with Okposo out, who replaced his offense? Who replaced his all-around game? Parenteau? Grabner? Konopka? Gillies? Isles had a brutal group of forwards already with Okposo in the lineup last season, how much more brutal is said lineup without Okposo and with no real offensive talent or defensive skill brought in in the off-season?

The fact is the Isles would have struggled to do anything even with those two guys in. Without them, and with no significant upgrades, it's not really a surprise the team has struggled, is it?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:34 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

With Streit being out, his loss offsets any improvements in the rest of the defense. Sure, the team added a few more bottom pairing guys to replace AHL fodder, but also lost their only legitimate top pairing guy along the way to injury. So the net result due to Streit's injury is the defense remained the same (if not worse, since they no longer have a legitimate top pairing player now).

And with Okposo out, who replaced his offense? Who replaced his all-around game? Parenteau? Grabner? Konopka? Gillies? Isles had a brutal group of forwards already with Okposo in the lineup last season, how much more brutal is said lineup without Okposo and with no real offensive talent or defensive skill brought in in the off-season?

The fact is the Isles would have struggled to do anything even with those two guys in. Without them, and with no significant upgrades, it's not really a surprise the team has struggled, is it?
I understand that losing your top talent guys. Streit obviously the best defensemen and Okposo while on of our better forwards still wasnt very productive offensively last season. The gathering of slight upgrade especially on D and the aging of our other young players should have been enough.
Andy Mac going down really seemed to be the beginning of the end for our team.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Groin Of Bates

Another key is that Garth Snow did not make any contributions to the construction of an actual team aside from the improvements on the defense. He let go of the few veterans we had left on the team for more unproven gambles. It backfired.

You cannot count on "another year of growth" for the young players. They are still very much unproven and this year, moreso than last year, they are depended on and pressured because they had "another year of growth." You see Bailey working out in chains and Tavares did this and did that in the offseason. It doesn't matter. They were not placed in a situation to succeed, no matter how much they were physically.

And again, I still stand by the claim that even with Okposo, we'd still be a basement team. His contributions to offense would not be as much as we may believe. The same goes for Streit. Maybe, maybe we win 2 more games with them here and instead of a 14 game streak we maybe do a 5 game losing, 1 win, 4 game losing, 1 win, 3 game losing.

Last edited by Groin Of Bates: 11-29-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:29 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
One problem is Snow didn't go and sign any quality offense. He's relying on Bridgeport and his weak signings from the summer.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:

I understand that the loss of MS and KO has hurt the team, but it looks like the kids are getting worse. Does anyone ever get better on this team?

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
One problem is Snow didn't go and sign any quality offense. He's relying on Bridgeport and his weak signings from the summer.
Truth

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
The best defenseman is out, the best forward is out, and the defense has been decimated by injuries.

We weren't the greatest team ever to begin with, either.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
lacunacoil777

This team is bad because of Dipietro playing so much due to Wang despite having goaltending #'s that would get most backups released if they had those #'s. ALso, Baily is not, and probably never will be as good as Travis Green of all people. Never mind Adam Oates. Tavares? He is mark Parrish with better passing. Thats it. Doesn't bring anything else to the table that Parrish didn't. Every other foward is useless in the top 6 role besides Moulson who will walk as a free agent if not traded in 3 months. Most fowards on the iSLES are the equivilant of 4/th 5th outfielders in baseball. Most will be out of the NHL in a year or 2. The Defense? Do we need to get into that?

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Not sure if I buy entirely into the Wang-forcing-Gordon-to-play-DP conspiracy, although it makes sense.

Maybe other than Wisniewski, the 4th-6th D positions were solidified, not the 2nd-4th (as it has been documented Snow at least tried twice...) Subtract the stability from Streit and MacDonald and the pistons start misfiring. Now add every injury on D since. and once again, Dylan Reese is getting nearly 2nd pairing minutes. I don't hate him though; he reminds me of a less-traveled MacDonald.

The offense didn't really get much time to gel entirely, considering the preseason split games and Tavares' minor concussion in game 1. Okposo hasn't even been on the ice yet and guys get swatted like flies. Letang on Comeau, Bailey's hip, et cetera. Guys are in and out of the roster, the streak begins and Gordon starts having to juggle lines again. Any continuity from before the slide goes into the crapper.

DP's getting his starts and playing wicked sub-par. Maybe Wang forces the issue. I wonder if there wasn't any dissension in the locker room- unfortunate, but a possibility. All the above-mentioned injuries happen, the team starts losing it's confidence and there's your ball game.

It's not even one major thing, it's several semi-major things and horrible timing and abysmal luck. Makes me wonder if God's not a freakin' Rangers fan.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Islander Prophet

It's the injuries...as simple as that

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilio View Post
So it has nothing to do with the obvious lack of talent on this team?

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

IMO, the year hasn't extended far enough to say there's a major difference between last year's team and this one. Both are wretched. I felt as much going into the season. I don't get why people thought this was a playoff team.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Not sure if I buy entirely into the Wang-forcing-Gordon-to-play-DP conspiracy, although it makes sense.
I wouldn't have either, but then I remembered Nolan and changed my mind.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:09 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
IMO, the year hasn't extended far enough to say there's a major difference between last year's team and this one. Both are wretched. I felt as much going into the season. I don't get why people thought this was a playoff team.
Lofty expectations on the maturity of Tavares & Bailey, on DP, and a tea with all offseason improvements done primarily on the lower half of the roster.

Now add up the injuries.

Old
11-29-2010, 09:23 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
I wouldn't have either, but then I remembered Nolan and changed my mind.
ZING!!!

Old
11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
darkmoon1196

the way i see it it breaks down into a few basic problems.

#1. Scoring
-Moulson and Tavares on pace for about 30 goals this year, not bad. the next highest goal scorer is Grabner, who is on pace for about 21 goals. not one other player is on pace for 20 goals, and the likelihood of Grabner getting 20 is questionable. lately, the team hasn't been able to score more than 2 goals in most games. this must change. Lets not forget Kyle being out, who knows how well he would've done this season?

#2. Defense
-With Streit out and injuries from Juricina, Hillen, Macdonald, Mattau, Gervais, that is bad. Wisniewski was playing very well at the start of the season, but he can't do it all. This leaves it up to AHL players to fill in for the job of NHLers, and no one can do any good with that.

#3. Lack of Leadership
-Our captain gets repeatedly scratched. I've heard rumors that he turned the young players against Gordon because he was angry about his playing time. Rumors. No real vets on this team to show the young guys what to do.

#4. Bad Ownership
-Much to be said for Mr. Wang. This summer, many people were fired and not replaced. One of these people includes Ryan Jankowski, the assistant GM. He had helped Garth with his very detailed scouting reports to perform drafts that have been widely respected throughout the hockey world. We now have no assistant GM because Wang wants to save some money and go by central scouting. Understandable, yet foolish IMO. He has refused to let Snow put any money into the team, keeping us at the cap floor thanks to Yashin. All Snow can do is draft young talent, sign cheap players, and do his best to trade with virtually nothing.

if anyone disagrees with me or feels i left something out, i am open minded

darkmoon1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
lacunacoil777

You forgot Dipietros #'s. With 1 of the very worst goalies in the NHL playing 1/2 or more of the games, this team wouldnt win with crosby, malkin, and dennis potvin.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Lofty expectations on the maturity of Tavares & Bailey
Lofty meaning unrealistic?

Old
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
cjdv16

Anyone else see any commonalities between our team and the movie Major League?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilio View Post
You can't honestly believe injuries are the only thing wrong with this year's roster, can you?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:14 PM
TexMurphyPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil77 View Post
You forgot Dipietros #'s. With 1 of the very worst goalies in the NHL playing 1/2 or more of the games, this team wouldnt win with crosby, malkin, and dennis potvin.
I'm looking at the numbers that matter and DiPietro has played 10 games and got the team 10 pts (3-3-4), while Roloson has got the team 5 pts in 12 games (2-9-1). While for the season as a whole Roloson has played better, he hasn't gotten the results.

Even during the 4-1-2 beginning of the season DiPietro got 6 of the 10 pts there.

I'll take the points over looking/playing better.

TexMurphyPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Hockey_Dude View Post
I'm looking at the numbers that matter and DiPietro has played 10 games and got the team 10 pts (3-3-4), while Roloson has got the team 5 pts in 12 games (2-9-1). While for the season as a whole Roloson has played better, he hasn't gotten the results.

Even during the 4-1-2 beginning of the season DiPietro got 6 of the 10 pts there.

I'll take the points over looking/playing better.
The team in front of both DiPietro/Roloson was playing considerably better in those first 8 or 9 games.

When the team **** the bed after that good start it was Roloson that kept the team from being out right embarrassed on the scorboard. Even though they were being out played on the ice the whole game.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
You can't honestly believe injuries are the only thing wrong with this year's roster, can you?
Well, the question isn't "what's wrong with the roster"... The roster last year was pretty bad too, but it's certainly a valid point-of-view to say that the team is worse due to key injuries.

Again, I think trying to mark a difference between this year and last is splitting hairs. Both squads are/were simply bad. We're talking a few games here and there being the difference, if any, by the end of the year.