HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

dirty players in men's leagues

Old
11-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

vCash: 500
For the most part, whatever hockey I have participated in will almost always have some physical contact.

Where the line is drawn is usually fairly specific. When players cross it repeatedly those players soon become very unpopular. Lots of people have to go to work in the morning.

Seriously, if guys insist on starting fights then they should get in a fight (perhaps at a bar) We are trying to play some hockey here thank you very much.

Then, hopefully, they will get in a fight in a more appropriate setting, and get all that angst beaten out of them.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR357 View Post
Yah, I've left a league before due to the lack of enforcement by the league. I can tolerate some pushing and shoving but if people act out, a few games off would slow that behavior down. When the league administrators don't care, it's becomes pretty obvious.

I play in one league now with a team stocked with schmucks. One of them in particular likes to hit from behind and I've gotten into it with him over it. Not much you can do about those people. My guess is they have some leftover insecurities from childhood and think the ice is the place to let everyone know about it.
The best way to deal with those people in my experience is to fight fire with fire. Guys like that are either just unaware that they are crossing the line as men's league is the highest level of hockey they've ever played, or they are insecure at the core like you said. Either way, dropping them once will solve that problem.

I had a problem with a team purposely dropping to the ice on d to try to take out my legs. Literally, I would be skating with the puck and the guy would just drop like someone shot him when I got close to try to take out my legs. That same team would also try to hit me out of view of the refs after I passed the puck or behind the play. All of this because I was playing a couple levels down, but I was new to the rink and didn't really know what league I was getting into, as "A" where I was from was the highest level but "A" at this rink was actually the third highest level. Either way, one day I got sick of this and cross checked one of their players in the ear after one too many cheap shots and dropped the guy. Never had a problem with those guys again. In that same league, another team had this one idiot that would always stick me behind the play and then act like he had no idea he was doing anything wrong. This happened in three games in a row against them. I told the guy a few times that if he kept it up, he would get hurt, and he would play dumb. Blatent hacks and then when I would say something, he would ask what I was talking about. Well one day I caught a chop in the back from him and then he happened to get the puck at the blueline right after that. Well he had his head down, and I sent him flying with a Mike Richards on David Booth style hit to the head on him. Once again, that was the last time I ever had a problem with him. Sometimes you really just have to ramp it up a level if its a persistent problem. Reason and logic don't work with some people.

Fortunately, I moved up the next season, and like everywhere else, the better the players, the less of this bs that goes on.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:06 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
stick lifting or blocking is not what I would consider dirty play or a penalty. The ref in your league would poop himself if he had to ref a game in my league.
I see you are in Pickering, what league?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I see you are in Pickering, what league?
Richmond Hill Chinese Christian Community Church. the dirtiest league I have seen, it makes the ASHL look like a preschool class.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
It is generally accepted but I have never understood that line of thinking in beer league. I've played D for a long while now and i don't know what a few crosschecks or slashes is going to do to the guy screening your goalie. I mean it's beer league. All I do try to get body position between him and the goal and make sure I'm in a position where I can tie up his stick when the shot/pass comes.

Every once in awhile maybe an attacking player will come in front of the net and initiate crosschecks and slashes on me first then maybe I'll give him a little whack back but nothing overboard.
Yeah, I never really understand it either. When I'm playing defense, I'll make sure to hold the other guy's stick down with my stick along with pushing him out of the way. Why bother crosschecking and slashing? But oh well, I just let them do it and stay focused on the play, no sense in fighting back and getting a matching penalty or being suspended for possibly getting into a fight.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Philybrook

I've been playing in a beer league for the first time this year since I'm to old to play Junior. We have a pretty young team (we are all about 22 years old) and we play mostly against older grown up men. I just can't beleive how many people play dirty hockey in those rec leagues. Fights are breaking up at every games and some dudes just can't take a minor hit or accidental check. It's hockey! Suck it up and continue to play!

Philybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Mosetter27

I say this constantly as I'm getting hit and as I'm throwing hits.

"Its HOCKEY!"....

I'm 5'8" 130 pounds

I know how to hit, so when someones like "WTF?!?" or when someone throws a decent hit on me and is all apologetic. I simply say "ITS HOCKEY!" don't like it LEAVE!.

we play pretty physical in my "beer" league but its all held within the ability to respond to it by saying "oh well, its hockey" .

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Been called for it multiple times. The first lift they don't call, but if you are both fighting for the puck and you lift it a few times, they seem to think its a penalty...
They started calling it as "hooking" this past year or two in my rec roller hockey league.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:33 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd624 View Post
I say this constantly as I'm getting hit and as I'm throwing hits.

"Its HOCKEY!"....

I'm 5'8" 130 pounds

I know how to hit, so when someones like "WTF?!?" or when someone throws a decent hit on me and is all apologetic. I simply say "ITS HOCKEY!" don't like it LEAVE!.

we play pretty physical in my "beer" league but its all held within the ability to respond to it by saying "oh well, its hockey" .
As far as some contact and board play I absolutely agree with you. But flat out hitting in a no check beer league? That's a no no. It's been said a million times but it doesn't make it any less true. Everyone has to get up in the morning and go to work, school etc.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
As far as some contact and board play I absolutely agree with you. But flat out hitting in a no check beer league? That's a no no. It's been said a million times but it doesn't make it any less true. Everyone has to get up in the morning and go to work, school etc.
agreed, i may have came off wrong and my post may have been taken the wrong way.

its all fun and good to throw some nice hips and shoulders and some shoves in the corners and pushes into the boards, but flat out decapitating hits are truly no-no's

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:02 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Well, if they're going to continue, get the puck and skate with your head down, pretending you're not aware a la Lindros. Just as one of those ****** bags step up to crank you, drop so you're still on one skate, but you have a knee close to the ice and flip that mafgar right over you.
This sounds like it will end in a ejection for low-bridging for you, or an ejection for having a concussion when the guy is faster than you think and absolutely cranks you.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Richmond Hill Chinese Christian Community Church. the dirtiest league I have seen, it makes the ASHL look like a preschool class.
LOL, did a church league game once, don't think it was the same, but it was over at Chesswood, these guys came to play, full contact is what they seemed to want, so I let them lol,

On another note, I had a team insist that it wasn't beer league, they got offended when I told them that in minor, or professional hockey, they were absolutely 100% correct, but in beer league, no way in hell would I ever make that call....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Hacker10

I don't mind a bit of contact, it's part of the game.

However, the one thing that makes me angry is hitting/pushing/whatever from behind. I utterly detest that. You're clearing the front of the net? Hey, no problem, nudge/push/lift my stick as much as you want. Two handing me from behind in a rec league, however, isn't on, and sure as I have to work in the morning, I'm going to let you know that it isn't cool.

Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote