HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Petr Prucha

Old
11-28-2010, 03:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa Shark View Post
It was Shanahan that killed him probably. Stole his ice time and his PP time if I remember correctly. A shame since we really only got one good year of Shanny
I'm sorry but this is just not the case.

The fact is, Prucha only had two good seasons. In his career. At any level. They are not the rule. Radek Dvorak scored 30 goals one year and hasn't since. Those years are rarities, not the norm.

If Prucha regained that form at any of his other stops after he left New York, this might be the case. But he didn't.

11-28-2010, 03:45 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm sorry but this is just not the case.

The fact is, Prucha only had two good seasons. In his career. At any level. They are not the rule. Radek Dvorak scored 30 goals one year and hasn't since. Those years are rarities, not the norm.

If Prucha regained that form at any of his other stops after he left New York, this might be the case. But he didn't.
Not completely disagreeing with you, because I really can't figure out Prucha, but to play devils advocate, his only stop after NY was Pheonix where he was used Identically to his last season here, 3rd and 4th line with low minutes and no production.

I actually watched him alot in Pheonix and he always played better with better players when he did get the chance (as anyone would).

I think the mistake by the Rangers was not utilizing him where he works (with guys like Jagr and Gaborik) as a low cost solution to a top line wing position.
Not saying he would have definately performed as expected, but his 2 good seasons were with Jagr and minutes, his bad seasons are on 3rd and 4th lines with low minutes.

Obviously that speaks to the fact that he is not an impact player, as he would perform anywhere he was placed if he was, but some guys raise there game with great players.

Nevermind, i love the guy and will find any shred of redemption in him anywhere i can!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

He's an enigma. I can't figure out how a player that tries as hard as he does goes from 30 goals to 5 and is finished. He's young and as far as we know, healthy.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
He's an enigma. I can't figure out how a player that tries as hard as he does goes from 30 goals to 5 and is finished. He's young and as far as we know, healthy.
Yeah.

Possibly his off-ice work ethic but I find that hard to believe considering he works so damn hard on the ice...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Cheechoo had a hell of a drop as well.

I blame the number of power plays in 05-06. It was enigmatically high. Plus his shooting % was way up, suggesting a certain amount of luck as well.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The enigma was the 30 goal season.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:20 AM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Cheechoo had a hell of a drop as well.

I blame the number of power plays in 05-06. It was enigmatically high. Plus his shooting % was way up, suggesting a certain amount of luck as well.
Cheechoo has been ravaged by sports hernias and other injuries, I think? Not to say he didn't catch lightning in a bottle for a few years playing with Jumbo Joe, but the injuries seemed to slow him down.

I think maybe you're onto something with the number of power plays that year. I remember Prucha scoring a lot of dirty goals on the PP. Tons of rebounds.

I'm surprised Pittsburgh didn't take a chance on Prucha. Seems like they could use a cheap winger who could potentially play up to being on a line with Crosby. Maybe they'll just wait until the deadline and then trade for Prucha instead of a Guerin...

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:50 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The problem with Prucha was always his frame. He's one of the smallest players in the league. The guy hardly breaks 170 mid-season (he's listed at 175). He's tied for the 14th lowest weight in the league. If you take the 18 players who are 175 and less, he has the 9th lowest height to weight ratio. Brandon Pirri, Tyler Ennis, Michael Grabner, Steve Sullivan, Casey Wellman, Claude Giroux, Dan Sexton, Mark Olver are smaller.

If you're going to be that small you have to be a very skilled player. Prucha has some skill, but he doesn't have great skill. He's a garbage goal scorer. He's very good around the net. However, for a player who plays that game to be effective, he'd need to put on another 15-20 pounds, which he never did and probably can't do.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
If you're going to be that small you have to be a very skilled player. Prucha has some skill, but he doesn't have great skill. He's a garbage goal scorer. He's very good around the net. However, for a player who plays that game to be effective, he'd need to put on another 15-20 pounds, which he never did and probably can't do.
Very true.

I haven't watched him much since he's gone out west, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the big hits he's taken over the past few years have messed with his head.

He's always had a ton of courage heading to the front of the net at his size, but in his last couple of years in NY, he seemed to be a bit snake bitten...consistently fumbling good scoring opportunities. I can't help but think that with all of the times he's had his bell rung, maybe his confidence and sure-handedness went out the window.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Yeah.

Possibly his off-ice work ethic but I find that hard to believe considering he works so damn hard on the ice...
This was it imo...

After that first season it was pretty clear that strength on the puck was going to be an issue. I was so looking forward to that next season and that he had hopefully transformed his body a little bit into something that could withstand punishment and show a little more strength on the puck.

When he showed up again looking like he didn't spend a day in the gym, that was when you knew he wasn't going to be a big time player. You look at someone like Gabby who isn't the biggest guy in the world, but he is in great shape.

You only get so many tools when it comes to sports, it's the player's job to make sure he's getting the absolute most out of those tools. Prucha didn't.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
This was it imo...

After that first season it was pretty clear that strength on the puck was going to be an issue. I was so looking forward to that next season and that he had hopefully transformed his body a little bit into something that could withstand punishment and show a little more strength on the puck.

When he showed up again looking like he didn't spend a day in the gym, that was when you knew he wasn't going to be a big time player. You look at someone like Gabby who isn't the biggest guy in the world, but he is in great shape.

You only get so many tools when it comes to sports, it's the player's job to make sure he's getting the absolute most out of those tools. Prucha didn't.
It could also be that maybe his frame just isn't built for a large amount of size and muscle. There are plenty of people out there who can't naturally put on any size no matter how hard they try.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Pizza

Quote:
This was it imo...

I agree.

There have been a number of things regarding Prucha that just never added up for me...and this was the big one.

His work off ice that is.

Bottom line, if your in the gym working really hard it shows. From what little I know, Reg Grant and the Rangers training staff are top notch. They know what they are doing. At least some results from rigorous training and diet would have translated into a more NHL ready physique. Or worst case the ability to absorb punishment and the schedule.

Again some things don't add up, but maybe this explains why he saw fewer and fewer games under Renney.

In the end who knows. Kinda sad really.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
squishy

Quote:
This was it imo...

Prucha has been consistently at or near the top of the results lists during physical testing at training camps throughout his NHL career. Like DubiSnacks said, some people just can't add bulk, no matter how hard they try.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The enigma was the 30 goal season.
Not true at all. He scored 30 his first year and 22 his second year.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:03 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Prucha has been consistently at or near the top of the results lists during physical testing at training camps throughout his NHL career. Like DubiSnacks said, some people just can't add bulk, no matter how hard they try.
I disagree with this completely. There are plenty of things that can be done to add bulk, natural supplements, change in diet, to go along with very specific and targeted weight training. I don't care who you are.

What would've hurt Prucha by bulking up is maintaining the same type of speed, which is one of the key assets to what his limited success was.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Not true at all. He scored 30 his first year and 22 his second year.
Fine. So those two seasons were the enigmas. And the 22 goal was the beginning of his decline.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:12 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Either way, with Nobady not named Dubinsky, Callahan and Gaborik able to score (sorry Boyle I think you may have peaked for the season) I'd take a flyer on Prucha and see if we could catch lightening in a bottle. The guy abbsolutely loved it here, maybe make sure to stick this time, atleast for a bit.....kinda like avery did...

And if he's bumping out Todd White for a few games it doesn't hurt us.

Drury's not back yet, Prospal who knows! These guys are tired and need some fresh legs and energy.

Old
11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Either way, with Nobady not named Dubinsky, Callahan and Gaborik able to score (sorry Boyle I think you may have peaked for the season) I'd take a flyer on Prucha and see if we could catch lightening in a bottle. The guy abbsolutely loved it here, maybe make sure to stick this time, atleast for a bit.....kinda like avery did...

And if he's bumping out Todd White for a few games it doesn't hurt us.

Drury's not back yet, Prospal who knows! These guys are tired and need some fresh legs and energy.
It took 7 pages for someone to advocate bringing Prucha back. Amazing how things change.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I love prucha as much as the next guy but theres no need for him on this team.

Ill always root for him even if he ends up on the Island.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:15 AM
McRanger

Despite scoring 22 goals his second year Prucha looked like a different player after that initial year. Specifically after he got back from his injury.

His first year he always knew where to be, and could score from pretty much anywhere. He got knocked around but it never seemed to phase him. By the second year he got killed along the board a lot, but he spent so much time on his ass from simply falling down they did not even need to hit him. It was like someone amputated his legs and attached ones taken from a turkey. The biggest difference though was his shot. Gone was the quick snap that made goalies look foolish, replaced instead by something that resembles a one-legged off-balance golf swing.

Brutal.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
It took 7 pages for someone to advocate bringing Prucha back. Amazing how things change.
Agreed, and its more my condemnation of the way some of our forwards are playing than it is the belief Prucha would actually help....

I'm all for cheap help from anywhere at this point.

Wait, this is page three?????

Old
11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I'd pick him up and drop Todd Frickin White. He's cap friendlier too. But then again, I guess Todd's time is limited to a couple of weeks and I'm still scratching my head as to why he's not waived yet.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I'd pick him up and drop Todd Frickin White. He's cap friendlier too. But then again, I guess Todd's time is limited to a couple of weeks and I'm still scratching my head as to why he's not waived yet.
Drury, Boogaard, Prospal, and Gabby have all been hurt recently. Its been a smart thing keeping Todd up here.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:15 PM
rangerssharks414

I really liked Prucha (who didn't?), but I never really thought that he would be a good player. Even after his 30 goal season or whatever it was, I still wasn't convinced.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Drury, Boogaard, Prospal, and Gabby have all been hurt recently. Its been a smart thing keeping Todd up here.
Todd White averages 7:56 minutes of TIO/g and have a cap hit of 2.375m. To date he's been scratched for almost half the games and he's played in only 14. Grachev although none too special, at this point, and still needing to develop has played in 6 games, carries an 800k cap hit and averages 7:28 TOI/G.

I'd rather save the cap space for when it's needed. Put White to the minors where he belongs. Bring up the hottest kid, Grachev or whoever and if you can't get MZA or Kennedy up because they have to pass through re-entry (I don't know if they have to) then sign a UFA like Guerin for 750k or 1million, either way there are better and cheaper options than Todd White and there's no reason for him.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote