HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's your go-to breakaway move?

Old
11-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Usually I will end up coming up from the side, on either wing, because I always gert 2-1's but the Dman will cut off the pass. I always go short side, not sure why. It hardly ever works, but I have it in my mind the goalie isn't expecting it.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
shoeshine boy

vCash: 500
in-game breakaways aren't really my thing but for shoot-outs I like to vary my speed. I'll start off kind of slow and then speed up around the top of the circles. after that it's whatever i'm feeling at the moment. typically it's deke to the forehand and then pop a backhander stick side about 6 inches off the ice.
one thng I'll say about beer league shoot-outs: don't go straight down the middle. seems like a lot of beginner and intermediate level players do this. make that goalie move!!!

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:53 AM
socktape

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
My go-to move is getting too excited and leaving the puck behind at the blue line.
I have the same strategy, except it's more like trip over blue line, leave puck behind, retrieve puck, panic pass to center, get yelled at by center for not moving legs fast enough

socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
FrozenJagrt

Go backhand-forehand to open up the wickets and slide it five hole. Pretty simple, but I lacked any real skill. I was always a defensive forward=/

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:22 AM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 167
I have multiple moves that I have pulled off (the Forsberg, nazem kadris goal on john curry, marek malik lol) but If im trying to be safe I always go with the fake forehand then roof it backhand. I love practicing shootout moves.. can always pull them off in practice but then look stupid in the game when I mess them up.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
If I'm on a clean breakaway I like to fake the shot, then go to my back hand. Or switch it up, fake shot, back hand, then back to forehand.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:12 AM
stempniaksen

vCash: 150
Come in slightly to the right. Quick leg kick and snapshot five hole.

Every time I do the leg kick the goalies open up a titch (whether or not I hit that hole is a different story).

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Jules Winnfield

I once scored like this on a breakaway against a goaltender I didn't like

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Achronos19

Very similar to Tyler Myers' first shootout goal. Only I'm left handed. I like to keep it simple.

Achronos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 02:27 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Forehand, backhand, 5-hole tuck.
This. Or, leg kick to make him twitch, then shoot high blocker or between blocker arm and body. I'm a lefty.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:21 PM
v Wesco v
O LazZy T

Do this most of the time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy4fqxwHEYY

Or i mix in some patrick eaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JLpbvORmbM

v Wesco v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

I got to practice breakaways yesterday at a stick time and I really liked skating towards the right of the goalie going back to the left at the circles and then back to the right and slipping it five hole ever so nonchalant. it was a fun one to try and score on.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Lario Melieux*

On the PK (like a boss), in my zone (like a boss), race for the puck (like a boss), pinching point-man gets caught (like boss), chip it around him (like a boss), come down the wing (like a boss), on a breakaway (like a boss), lose it at the blue-line (like a boss), regain it at the face off dot (like a boss), absolutely no angle (like a boss), act like I'm gonna skate behind the net (like a boss), throw it out front (like a boss), pray my PK partner finds it (like a boss), puck goes out to center ice (like a boss), 2 on 1 (like a boss), go-ahead goal (like a boss), get benched (like a boss). Yeah.

Last edited by Lario Melieux*: 11-28-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Fleuryoutside29

I find going top shelf for me doesn't work. It may be because I need to improve the velocity of my snapshot, but in any case, I get the goalie moving laterally and simply slide the puck in under their five hole. Works well.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
RoyalGremlin
The future is now.

honestly, after practice, the datsyuk move is really easy and i've gotten it 3/5 times in my lifetime during a game, in practice quite a few more. im left handed, the easiest way to think about it is just as soon or before i fake a shot to the bottom left corner, i take my right skate slightly off the ice and shift my left skate clockwise and stealthily glide to the right while pulling the puck back to me with my backhand and aim for the gap, i usually like to try top shelf but i've made a fool of myself a few times.

RoyalGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
McDuul

vCash: 50
No real set move, but if I'm coming in on the left side like usual I'll just cut in a bit and let a quick snapshot go high glove. It's pretty simple. If I'm coming in from the middle or the right side, I'll simply just go backhand up high, it's the easiest move by far.

McDuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

obviously, i come up with the most insane move i can think of, wether i tried it or not, find a video of it, and post it on here as my "go to" move.

no but seriously, most of my breaks come right down the middle or occasionally along the right boards. in my league, alot of goalies are used to people going high glove, so i usually rip one through the 5 hole from about 15-20 feet out.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:51 PM
JETZZZ

well this one time i was on a breakaway and i attempted this for ***** n giggles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOMQjZTFfbQ
i may have pulled it off but when i had the puck between my legs, the d caught up and hit me like a bullet train over a toddler. but my left hand glove and stick went into the net. lol

JETZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Frankie Spankie

I only really do two things (I'm left handed):

1 - Go in and shoot it from about 5-10 feet away from the goalie, trying to snipe a corner.

2 - Fake the shot and turn to the right, going backhand either 5 hole or along the right post, depending on how well the goalie moves with me.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
McNasty

depends on my angle, but in a penalty shot situation I like to come in real slow stick handling and try to snap one through the 5 hole. Otherwise I just throw a leg kick and go backhand, or backhand forehand depends if the goalie is leaning at all.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
RoyalGremlin
The future is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
obviously, i come up with the most insane move i can think of, wether i tried it or not, find a video of it, and post it on here as my "go to" move.

no but seriously, most of my breaks come right down the middle or occasionally along the right boards. in my league, alot of goalies are used to people going high glove, so i usually rip one through the 5 hole from about 15-20 feet out.
hey look at my description of how to try it and look at the datsyuk video and compare. its really how its done, try it in practice, it'll take a few tries but i love the wow factor when i pull it off, its nice.

RoyalGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 07:07 AM
ImmortalsC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
On the PK (like a boss), in my zone (like a boss), race for the puck (like a boss), pinching point-man gets caught (like boss), chip it around him (like a boss), come down the wing (like a boss), on a breakaway (like a boss), lose it at the blue-line (like a boss), regain it at the face off dot (like a boss), absolutely no angle (like a boss), act like I'm gonna skate behind the net (like a boss), throw it out front (like a boss), pray my PK partner finds it (like a boss), puck goes out to center ice (like a boss), 2 on 1 (like a boss), go-ahead goal (like a boss), get benched (like a boss). Yeah.
Epic post. For those of you who may not know the reference...
http://www.hulu.com/watch/66312/satu...rt-like-a-boss

ImmortalsC is offline   Reply With Quote