HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Star Vote

Old
11-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
This topic is a perfect example of why I hate the voting system and don't vote in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What's with all the bashing of the all star game? It's just a fun game with nothing at stake. The skills competition is fun to watch too. It's not an edge of your seat kind of thing but I still like it.
Aside from a few skills events, which are separate from the actual game itself anyways, the ASG isn't fun to watch at all really. A few of the skill events can be enjoyable enough to just keep watching and a few of the events have enough of an appeal to them to get you interested the first time you see it, but other then that the ASG is very emotionless and just not fun.

A few of the skills comps, like I said before, have enough of a gimmick going for them that they're enjoyable the first time you see them, but after you've seen them the first time they lose their appeal. For instance, watching the hardest shot comp for your first time might be fun because you'll get a grasp of just how hard some of these guys can shoot and you'll see who has the hardest show. Eventually though it just gets boring watching players launch slap shots from the blue-line. It's not something that will keep me engaged for minutes at a time.

The actual game itself isn't hockey. No one plays physical or tries too hard because none of the players care about the outcome of the game and no one wants to get hurt. There's rarely any penalties because it's such a light-hearted and emotionless event. The game basically turns into a "first to 10" wins kind of game since the defense is usually piss-poor.

There's also the fact that most of the players themselves don't even want to be there (at least the ones that are perennial all-stars). The joke of a voting system doesn't help either.

I pretty much just tune in for the shootout comp and the trick shot comp. I'll probably watch the captains pick their teams as well this year. Beyond that, I have minimal interest.

Quote:
Eh, that's kind of silly. If they can't handle one weekend of playing basically pickup hockey, then they shouldn't be in the NHL. These guys are pro athletes and one more basically practice is not going to be any different than actually having the weekend off. If it was a month long ordeal I might agree with you, but if the olympics didn't (noticeably) affect these guys, I'm not too concerned with one or two of them playing an extra game.
Even if you don't think it'd be better for them to get time off, a lot of players still don't want to go. Thus why they penalize players with suspensions for not going.

I imagine for some first-time all-stars or guys that rarely get into the game there's probably some interest in attending, but a lot of the perennial all-stars really don't like going.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love the all-star game, but I wish they would do away with all star voting. Mike Cammalleri and his whopping 15 points is currently ahead of Richards, Giroux, Malkin, and many others far more deserving than him. Not sure how the voting works in this new format, but it would really be a joke if he makes it in over pretty much the next ten guys on the list after him.

Side note, how does the new format work? They haven't broken it up into confernces, so it is it going to be the top 6 forwards, top 4 defenseman, top 2 goalies get the start and are randomly split up to form two starting lineups then the captains pick the rest?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I love the all-star game, but I wish they would do away with all star voting. Mike Cammalleri and his whopping 15 points is currently ahead of Richards, Giroux, Malkin, and many others far more deserving than him. Not sure how the voting works in this new format, but it would really be a joke if he makes it in over pretty much the next ten guys on the list after him.

Side note, how does the new format work? They haven't broken it up into confernces, so it is it going to be the top 6 forwards, top 4 defenseman, top 2 goalies get the start and are randomly split up to form two starting lineups then the captains pick the rest?
The first three forwards, two d-men, and IIRC the top goalie in votes all get into the game. In other words, they're the starters. The rest of the players get picked by the two captains.

I have no idea how they decide who the two captains are though.

Old
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
This topic is a perfect example of why I hate the voting system and don't vote in it.

Aside from a few skills events, which are separate from the actual game itself anyways, the ASG isn't fun to watch at all really. A few of the skill events can be enjoyable enough to just keep watching and a few of the events have enough of an appeal to them to get you interested the first time you see it, but other then that the ASG is very emotionless and just not fun.

A few of the skills comps, like I said before, have enough of a gimmick going for them that they're enjoyable the first time you see them, but after you've seen them the first time they lose their appeal. For instance, watching the hardest shot comp for your first time might be fun because you'll get a grasp of just how hard some of these guys can shoot and you'll see who has the hardest show. Eventually though it just gets boring watching players launch slap shots from the blue-line. It's not something that will keep me engaged for minutes at a time.

The actual game itself isn't hockey. No one plays physical or tries too hard because none of the players care about the outcome of the game and no one wants to get hurt. There's rarely any penalties because it's such a light-hearted and emotionless event. The game basically turns into a "first to 10" wins kind of game since the defense is usually piss-poor.

There's also the fact that most of the players themselves don't even want to be there (at least the ones that are perennial all-stars). The joke of a voting system doesn't help either.

I pretty much just tune in for the shootout comp and the trick shot comp. I'll probably watch the captains pick their teams as well this year. Beyond that, I have minimal interest.
That's a fair opinion. I still think it is fun to watch the game. There's usually a few good moments in it, whether it is something funny or a pretty goal or something like that.

Quote:
Even if you don't think it'd be better for them to get time off, a lot of players still don't want to go. Thus why they penalize players with suspensions for not going.

I imagine for some first-time all-stars or guys that rarely get into the game there's probably some interest in attending, but a lot of the perennial all-stars really don't like going.
This may be the case, but I never heard anyone saying that (not saying you are wrong, I just never heard that before). The thing with that is that it's just too bad. You are in the NHL and the NHL has an all-star game. If you don't want to entertain the fans of the sport, that's your problem. A lot of players probably don't want to go to practice either, but they do.

Quote:
The first three forwards, two d-men, and IIRC the top goalie in votes all get into the game. In other words, they're the starters. The rest of the players get picked by the two captains.

I have no idea how they decide who the two captains are though.
Yeah I figure it is something like that, but wouldn't that just leave one team filled (and filled presumably with the best lineup, though judging by the voting, that may not be the case). I would think they would take the top 6 forwards, 4 defenseman, and two goalies and split them into two teams somehow (picking out of a hat?) then choose two captains (maybe the players vote on that or something?) and then the captains pick the rest of the team. It would be kind of weird to have one team voted in and the other not get any of the higher vote getters. The team would like this right now:

Toews-Crosby-Stamkos
Keith-Pronger
Price

That's pretty much the five best skaters in the league, minus Ovechkin, and the hottest goalie. Would be kind of weird to give one team that advantage (I know it isn't a real game and no one plays their hardest, but still).

Old
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM
dr.rosenrosen

not sure about this but i just voted then took a look at the rules and found this:

"If the potential winner is a Canadian resident he/she will be required to correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical, electronic or otherwise, in order to be eligible to receive the prize. The skill-testing question will be a part of the Release. If the potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the Release within the required time period, or if Canadian, fails to correctly answer the mathematical skill-testing question, potential winner forfeits the prize. "

now this is for the people voting to win tickets to the game itself. can anyone answer me, why do Canadian's need to take a math test if they win?

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
not sure about this but i just voted then took a look at the rules and found this:

"If the potential winner is a Canadian resident he/she will be required to correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical, electronic or otherwise, in order to be eligible to receive the prize. The skill-testing question will be a part of the Release. If the potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the Release within the required time period, or if Canadian, fails to correctly answer the mathematical skill-testing question, potential winner forfeits the prize. "

now this is for the people voting to win tickets to the game itself. can anyone answer me, why do Canadian's need to take a math test if they win?
It's a law - you can't just give stuff away in Canada. I have no idea why it's a law, but it applies to pretty much any corporate contest. For a while way back when, even McDonalds required you to do that if you won a free drink in the Monopoly contest.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
dr.rosenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It's a law - you can't just give stuff away in Canada. I have no idea why it's a law, but it applies to pretty much any corporate contest. For a while way back when, even McDonalds required you to do that if you won a free drink in the Monopoly contest.
not to jump off topic but is it a hard test? it's not like calculus (which would be hard for me) or is it simple adding and subtracting?

Old
11-30-2010, 03:14 PM
dr.rosenrosen

just google'd it, i got it thanks...

Old
11-30-2010, 03:14 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
not to jump off topic but is it a hard test? it's not like calculus (which would be hard for me) or is it simple adding and subtracting?
I have a feeling it will be made so that no one can fail. Probably dead simple.

Edit: Wow, actually looks a little bit harder. Calculators woo.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Flyerfan808

I find it at least sort of funny that the NHL allows the fans to vote on such things. Essentially a giant homerfest.

My ballot:

Richards
Giroux
Stamkos

Pronger
Timonen

Bobrovsky

If I wasn't being such a effin homer it might be more like:

Stamkos
Crosby
Zetterberg

John Michael Liles
Lidstrom

Price

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
This may be the case, but I never heard anyone saying that (not saying you are wrong, I just never heard that before). The thing with that is that it's just too bad. You are in the NHL and the NHL has an all-star game. If you don't want to entertain the fans of the sport, that's your problem. A lot of players probably don't want to go to practice either, but they do.

Yeah I figure it is something like that, but wouldn't that just leave one team filled (and filled presumably with the best lineup, though judging by the voting, that may not be the case). I would think they would take the top 6 forwards, 4 defenseman, and two goalies and split them into two teams somehow (picking out of a hat?) then choose two captains (maybe the players vote on that or something?) and then the captains pick the rest of the team. It would be kind of weird to have one team voted in and the other not get any of the higher vote getters. The team would like this right now:

Toews-Crosby-Stamkos
Keith-Pronger
Price

That's pretty much the five best skaters in the league, minus Ovechkin, and the hottest goalie. Would be kind of weird to give one team that advantage (I know it isn't a real game and no one plays their hardest, but still).
I'm not sure exactly how many people it is, but you get the idea right?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
That's a really weird law.

Old
11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly how many people it is, but you get the idea right?
Yeah I get the idea, I just don't get how it fields two teams and it seems weird to vote on one team only. I'm thinking it has to be top 6, top 4, top 2 and then split the players into two teams, pick a captain, captain picks the rest. If that isn't the case, this voting system is worse than I thought it would.

Old
11-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
If any Flyer fans want to not vote for a home player I got a nice choice for you

Patrick Sharp

15 goals + 12 assists = Leads Hawks in goals/Pts

Having a career year to start out ,,, Vote for Sharpie!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
If any Flyer fans want to not vote for a home player I got a nice choice for you

Patrick Sharp

If I was willing to participate in the popularity contest I definitely would vote for him. I'm pissed off that Toews is in the top three though.

Old
11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Clown Baby

Pronger all the way! Its not much but its a start after getting screwed out of an allstar nomination, and another surefire Conn Smythe.

Last edited by Clown Baby: 11-30-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
If I was willing to participate in the popularity contest I definitely would vote for him. I'm pissed off that Toews is in the top three though.
Yup, that's ********.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

Patrick Sharp

Blackhawk fan petitioning Flyer fans for Patrick Sharp ASG votes. Takes guts!

Old
11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

Patrick Sharp

You've got balls, I'll give you that. This is like a Detroit fan petitioning the Penguins fans for a vote for Franzen the year after they beat them in the finals (obvious difference being Franzen didn't play for the Penguins years prior).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:

Patrick Sharp

Don't worry man, we wish we still had Sharp!

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Blackhawk fan petitioning Flyer fans for Patrick Sharp ASG votes. Takes guts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
You've got balls, I'll give you that. This is like a Detroit fan petitioning the Penguins fans for a vote for Franzen the year after they beat them in the finals (obvious difference being Franzen didn't play for the Penguins years prior).
Sharp is such a great guy and underated ,, Figure Flyer fans were happy with the type of person/player he was while with Flyers

Just wish Sharp would get the recognition he deserves

Guy is the most underated player in NHL

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544864

Quote:
Forwards
Sidney Crosby 218,791 Pittsburgh
Steven Stamkos 141,818 Tampa Bay
Jonathan Toews 139,570 Chicago
Alex Ovechkin 120,966 Washington
Patrick Kane 108,649 Chicago
Michael Cammalleri 107,575 Montreal
Mike Richards 107,322 Philadelphia
Evgeni Malkin 106,136 Pittsburgh
*Claude Giroux 103,620 Philadelphia
Pavel Datsyuk 96,577 Detroit
Marian Hossa 96,216 Chicago
Danny Briere 93,652 Philadelphia
*Tomas Plekanec 93,528 Montreal
Brian Gionta 77,671 Montreal
Henrik Zetterberg 77,509 Detroit
Eric Staal 62,113 Carolina
Jeff Carter 61,464 Philadelphia
Johan Franzen 57,797 Detroit
Nicklas Backstrom 48,554 Washington
Henrik Sedin 42,517 Vancouver
*Alexander Semin 41,521 Washington
*Patrick Sharp 41,196 Chicago
*Sean Avery 38,551 NY Rangers
Daniel Sedin 38,462 Vancouver
Phil Kessel 32,981 Toronto
Marian Gaborik 32,134 NY Rangers
Anze Kopitar 31,923 Los Angeles
Joe Thornton 29,432 San Jose
*Jeff Skinner 27,958 Carolina
*Chad LaRose 26,481 Carolina

Defensemen
Duncan Keith 137,642 Chicago
Chris Pronger 137,549 Philadelphia
Nicklas Lidstrom 134,626 Detroit
*Kris Letang 115,862 Pittsburgh
Kimmo Timonen 110,599 Philadelphia
Drew Doughty 94,606 Los Angeles
Brent Seabrook 92,501 Chicago
*P.K. Subban 89,050 Montreal
Mike Green 80,572 Washington
Brian Rafalski 67,873 Detroit
Zdeno Chara 62,611 Boston
*Dustin Byfuglien 59,138 Atlanta
Paul Martin 51,516 Pittsburgh
Marc Staal 47,396 NY Rangers
Andrei Markov 43,517 Montreal
Dan Boyle 41,857 San Jose
Shea Weber 37,061 Nashville
Joni Pitkanen 36,710 Carolina
Brian Campbell 34,316 Chicago
Dion Phaneuf 32,284 Toronto

Goaltenders
*Carey Price 145,726 Montreal
*Sergei Bobrovsky 116,725 Philadelphia
Marc-Andre Fleury 92,095 Pittsburgh
Jaroslav Halak 78,168 St. Louis
Tim Thomas 76,967 Boston
*Jimmy Howard 56,999 Detroit
Ryan Miller 56,967 Buffalo
Cam Ward 46,633 Carolina
Jonathan Quick 40,140 Los Angeles
Roberto Luongo 39,103 Vancouver

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Tim Thomas and Jon Quick at 76 and 40 thousand respectively is a shame. Those guys should be there.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I understand they are having two captains choose teams? Is that the two highest vote getters?