HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contract discussions with Gill have started

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
  #126
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Hamrlik is much more than a bottom pairing Dman. He is currently the best defencemen of the best defensive team in the league. give your head a shake. He won't be playing bottom pairing minutes next year, Gill will be, because it's all he's ever been capable of.
First off, nobody is debating as to who is the better overall D-man (though in key situations or on the PK, I prefer Gill). It's about overall value.

Now let me ask you habsjunkie2 -- if he's the best defenseman on the best defensive team, does that make Hamrlik an all star, or the best Dman in the league???

He's played 22 games and I'll give him credit for the work he's accomplished. However, my observations of his play indicates he's lost quite a bit of mobility and that he is no longer the offensive force he once was. Though Kriss E claims he's being used less this year, Hammer is still getting plenty of Ice Time.

What worries me is that with older players, there is always the risk that they just simply run-out of gaz at crucial points in a long season. We saw this last year. And, even with the injection of Subban, he's still going to be relied on heavily. And if he's not going to be used as a bottom pairing D man next year, this risk applies even more so.

Again, I would feel the safer route is going after a quality UFA who is both younger and more mobile (and consequently brings more offensive punch). Signing Gill helps as he should be cheaper than Hammer.

ps; and slightly OT: was habsjunkie or habsjunkie1 taken? does the 2 imply "too" (who's the other?)?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
  #127
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,651
vCash: 500
Do you realize Hamrlik is averaging 46sec more of ice time per game than Gill??...If he's being played too much, so is Gill.
And even if you feel his mobility has declined over the years, it's still much, much better than Gill's. I'd pick him over Gill on my team, no matter the role/position, any day of the week.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:53 PM
  #128
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'd pick him over Gill on my team, no matter the role/position, any day of the week.
u wanna take this outside Kriss E? U wanna?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:57 PM
  #129
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
First off, nobody is debating as to who is the better overall D-man (though in key situations or on the PK, I prefer Gill). It's about overall value.

Now let me ask you habsjunkie2 -- if he's the best defenseman on the best defensive team, does that make Hamrlik an all star, or the best Dman in the league???

He's played 22 games and I'll give him credit for the work he's accomplished. However, my observations of his play indicates he's lost quite a bit of mobility and that he is no longer the offensive force he once was. Though Kriss E claims he's being used less this year, Hammer is still getting plenty of Ice Time.

What worries me is that with older players, there is always the risk that they just simply run-out of gaz at crucial points in a long season. We saw this last year. And, even with the injection of Subban, he's still going to be relied on heavily. And if he's not going to be used as a bottom pairing D man next year, this risk applies even more so.

Again, I would feel the safer route is going after a quality UFA who is both younger and more mobile (and consequently brings more offensive punch). Signing Gill helps as he should be cheaper than Hammer.

ps; and slightly OT: was habsjunkie or habsjunkie1 taken? does the 2 imply "too" (who's the other?)?
He won't be an allstar, but I don't hold much stake in that. Doesn't take away from his value. Your evaluation is way off on every level.

Your argument has been that Gill won't slow because he's already slow. Are you freaking kidding me?

Hammer is once again our best dman. I'll bet you he won't be a bottom pairing dman next year for any team he signs for, willing?

As far as my username. What does it have to do with any of this?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
  #130
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Do you realize Hamrlik is averaging 46sec more of ice time per game than Gill??...If he's being played too much, so is Gill.
And even if you feel his mobility has declined over the years, it's still much, much better than Gill's. I'd pick him over Gill on my team, no matter the role/position, any day of the week.
I agree.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:30 PM
  #131
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
He won't be an allstar, but I don't hold much stake in that.
I'm not asking if you vote or not or what your thoughts are on the all star game, I want to know, if he's our best D man, for the best defensive team in the league, shouldn't he be in All star consideration?

Quote:
Your argument has been that Gill won't slow because he's already slow. Are you freaking kidding me?
First off, I'm not the only 1 to say this , so it's not "my argument" per se.

Second, I've said this countless times, he's made a career out of being slow and has adapted to the NHL this way. Where as, Hamrlik was never known for his blazing speed but he has always been mobile. As a result, Hamrlik is not the same player he once was... Gill on the other hand has been much more stable in this respect since mobility was never part of his game. He's made a career out blocking shots, playing the PK and using his long reach. The only thing to hamper him in the next few yeras is perhaps being more injury as he ages. Not mobility.


Quote:
Hammer is once again our best dman. I'll bet you he won't be a bottom pairing dman next year for any team he signs for, willing?
This is a stupid bet on my part -- what does it prove if he sings with a bottom feeder and is there number 1 dman? It means nothing.

I'm looking at it from a standpoint of building a cup contender, and having him play 23+ minutes per game looking forward when he's already shown signs of slowing down / and having no gaz in the tank (come PO time, which costed us a game) is not what a contender should seek.

To assume he'll be used less and that last year was exceptional circumstances will only get us in trouble ... it's a trap to think that way. I rather have a top 4 pairing that are top caliber and sure of being able to play as much as we need them without fear of " gazing out".

Markov, UFA (6 Million), PK Subban, Gorges, Spacek, Gill.

Put Hamrlik in there, than are we able to afford the big name D man? And, with Markov's return next year, are we sure he's going to be the same player? We need all the resources available for a top caliber dman...

Quote:
As far as my username. What does it have to do with any of this?
sorry for asking.. didn't know it was such a serious discussion.


Last edited by coolasprICE: 11-30-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo+added content
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.