HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez options

Old
11-30-2010, 02:59 PM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Leaf fan here,

Aside from the two Leafs-Habs games, I haven't watched Gomez play(this year).

What the hell happened to him haha? Like why has he regressed this year so badly? Obviously he'll never be worth that contract, but one would think he could be a solid 2nd line center.

thanks
Canadiens Fan here, not to be rude, but i would go back to your board print out your line-up and start disecting that monstrosity ! I am sure you will find some pretty bad **** over there !

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 11-30-2010 at 09:06 PM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:20 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Trust me dude, if desharnais was a viable option, he would be playing in the NHL..He is tooooooooo ****in slowwwwwwww for the NHL....I know this will hurt some RDS fans feelings, but he has great hands and vision, but is one step below the NHL with his speed and size.
There is speed and there is quickness. Desharnais can get going quickly and can change directions amazingly fast. True, he will never win an end to end race with Tomas Plekanec but in tight confines he excels.

Gomez is almost the opposite. He can really fly once he gets going and can swoop around players with ease. Once he gets into a tight spot, however, chances are that he won't accomplish much.

I, for one, would not be afraid to call up Desharnais for a handful of games to see what he can do. He should bring Pacioretty with him.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
mrCoffea*

I love these delusional people that want to put him in the AHL or buy out his contract. First of all, anyone saying he's playing badly or playing like **** shouldn't even comment anymore. The guy might not be lighting things up, but he sure as hell ain't playing like ****. He can move the puck and penetrate the offensive zone like no other, and as anyone that watched the team before we got Gomez, that's an area that the Canadiens clearly lack in.

More than anything, Gomez is a solid playoff performer. That's when we need him, and he shows up big time. I have no trouble with his salary or his play during the regular season if the Canadiens are in a playoff spot and he shows up in the playoffs.

If this team was in the same situation as the Leafs right now, THEN maybe I'd criticize Gomez

Everyone on this board has their nose straight up Price's ass, but he is going to be a much bigger question mark come playoff time than Gomez could ever be

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Maybe to Leafs for a defenseman. They have 8 on roster and are starving for top 6 forward. Bring Komisarek back? Komi is alright if he plays bottom pairing minutes. His cap hit is 4.5, average defensemen is 2.1. So, only losing 2 million a year in cap hit compared to keeping Gomez and losing 7.4 million a year

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Maybe to Leafs for a defenseman. They have 8 on roster and are starving for top 6 forward. Bring Komisarek back? Komi is alright if he plays bottom pairing minutes. His cap hit is 4.5, average defensemen is 2.1. So, only losing 2 million a year in cap hit compared to keeping Gomez and losing 7.4 million a year
great plan there Mr. Pollock

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
I love these delusional people that want to put him in the AHL or buy out his contract. First of all, anyone saying he's playing badly or playing like **** shouldn't even comment anymore. The guy might not be lighting things up, but he sure as hell ain't playing like ****. He can move the puck and penetrate the offensive zone like no other, and as anyone that watched the team before we got Gomez, that's an area that the Canadiens clearly lack in.

More than anything, Gomez is a solid playoff performer. That's when we need him, and he shows up big time. I have no trouble with his salary or his play during the regular season if the Canadiens are in a playoff spot and he shows up in the playoffs.

If this team was in the same situation as the Leafs right now, THEN maybe I'd criticize Gomez

Everyone on this board has their nose straight up Price's ass, but he is going to be a much bigger question mark come playoff time than Gomez could ever be
My god, can you be more wrong?

Yes, Gomez, still moves the puck very well, from d zone to neutral zone, he's a king... just like that speedy russian.. oh yeah, Afinogenov. Very fast, can travel the puck like lightning but as soon as he enters the offensive zone, nothing happens because both of them skates on the perimeter and does not challenge the defenseman. So big deal here. I rather have a guy that contributes on the score sheets than a guy making 8M$ that skates well.

Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec were good at entering the offensive zone when they was with us too and they would at least create something after that, unlike Gomez.

So you don't mind Gomez resting all season long, and watch his teammates battle every night for a playoffs spot, even if he makes 8M$? Talk about a stupid mentality. You know, to make the playoffs, you have to play 82 regulations games and win enough games to make it to the playoffs. After 24 games this season, Gomez has yet had 2 really good games in a row. That's pathetic.

Last edited by Stradale: 11-30-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Thank you, all I was asking was what has made his play worse?
And yes, I know my team is challenged
It is a mystery to all of us ???

lol at "challenged", nice choice of word

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
JackZap

I think one solution is to get another center whos going to be a UFA this summer e.g Arnott-Richards. Then move Gomez to the 3rd line and play Eller on the wing.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:25 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
My god, can you be more wrong?

Yes, Gomez, still moves the puck very well, from d zone to neutral zone, he's a king... just like that speedy russian.. oh yeah, Afinogenov. Very fast, can travel the puck like lightning but as soon as he enters the offensive zone, nothing happens because both of them skates on the perimeter and does not challenge the defenseman. So big deal here. I rather have a guy that contributes on the score sheets than a guy making 8M$ that skates well.

Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec were good at entering the offensive zone when they was with us too and they would at least create something after that, unlike Gomez.

So you don't mind Gomez resting all season long, and watch his teammates battle every night for a playoffs spot, even if he makes 8M$? Talk about a stupid mentality. You know, to make the playoffs, you have to play 82 regulations games and win enough games to make it to the playoffs. After 24 games this season, Gomez has yet had 2 really good games in a row. That's pathetic.
Uhhh no. The last years of Koivu and Kovalev the Canadiens were the purest dump and chase team in the NHL, that's ALL they did. Why do you think they had so much trouble scoring 5on5 and played better on a powerplay.

Gomez isn't "resting all season long", to say that he doesn't contribute to this team's success is pure lunacy. You simpletons are blinded by his contract when it's clear as day that no one would have a problem with him if he was earning slightly less money. At most, Gomez is 2-3 Million dollars overpaid, there is no way that a player of his caliber is earning less than ~5 million a year. More importantly, his teammates back him up. The whole team supports Gomez, and two of our star players signed here because of him. If he was a cancer in the dressing room I'd agree with everyone, but he isn't. Yeah, he should be playing better, but the situation is far from tragic and he's been a key player in many of our tough wins.

And if despite all that he performs well in the playoffs when it REALLY matters, I can live with him

You guys are ridiculous, it's like Chelsea fans mad at Ancelotti and asking him to be fired despite the team being at the top of the premiere league and doing well in the Champions League.....

Old
12-01-2010, 06:30 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Uhhh no. The last years of Koivu and Kovalev the Canadiens were the purest dump and chase team in the NHL, that's ALL they did. Why do you think they had so much trouble scoring 5on5 and played better on a powerplay.

Gomez isn't "resting all season long", to say that he doesn't contribute to this team's success is pure lunacy. You simpletons are blinded by his contract when it's clear as day that no one would have a problem with him if he was earning slightly less money. At most, Gomez is 2-3 Million dollars overpaid, there is no way that a player of his caliber is earning less than ~5 million a year. More importantly, his teammates back him up. The whole team supports Gomez, and two of our star players signed here because of him. If he was a cancer in the dressing room I'd agree with everyone, but he isn't. Yeah, he should be playing better, but the situation is far from tragic and he's been a key player in many of our tough wins.

And if despite all that he performs well in the playoffs when it REALLY matters, I can live with him

You guys are ridiculous, it's like Chelsea fans mad at Ancelotti and asking him to be fired despite the team being at the top of the premiere league and doing well in the Champions League.....
Wrong and wrong. He didn't fix any 5vs5 problems, we sucked again last year at even strength. He isn't worth 5million either, he would still be well over paid and he had no role in Cammy or Gio coming here. They signed here for more money, end of the story.

Saku Koivu is better in every single aspect of this game at 36 years old. Gomez disappeared in the playoffs, did you watch them? The only time you saw him was when he was taking a dumb penalty and for about 5-10mins in game 5 against Philly, other than that he was invisible. Much like he's been since coming here.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:19 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Gomez disappeared in the playoffs, did you watch them? The only time you saw him was when he was taking a dumb penalty and for about 5-10mins in game 5 against Philly, other than that he was invisible. Much like he's been since coming here.
14 pts in 19 games, I guess being invisible has it's advantages .

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Teufelsdreck

To the Leafs for Kaberle! While Kaberle will be UFA he could help a lot this season and the Habs would gain a lot of cap space if he leaves. Meanwhile,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:22 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
There is speed and there is quickness...

Gomez is almost the opposite. He can really fly once he gets going and can swoop around players with ease. Once he gets into a tight spot, however, chances are that he won't accomplish much...
Agree, Gomez is great between the bluelines, but how many goals are scored there? Don't get me wrong, though, believe he will step up when it counts.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:34 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Uhhh no. The last years of Koivu and Kovalev the Canadiens were the purest dump and chase team in the NHL, that's ALL they did. Why do you think they had so much trouble scoring 5on5 and played better on a powerplay. ...
Right, actually, it was more like "dump and change" because the players on ice were exhausted from defending, and so when the puck was fired into the attacking zone they all went to the bench for a change, allowing the opposition to take control and press again, until the next turnover allowed the Habs to make another "dump and change" mahn that was hard to watch.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:33 AM
sprevost

So....this is the last time I will mention this, because I have mentioned it before and it basically went without comment.

Can we please put another offensive forward on the second line? Am I mildly retarded to ask this? Take Moen (who is way over his head in that role) and just insert Pouliot for the love of God. I think a certain Mr. Cammalleri would greatly appreciate another smart player on his line.

It's actually kind of weird, I have been listening and watching all kinds of so called " hockey experts" comment on the second line and everyone wants to talk about Gomez this and Cammy that and how they aren't producing etc....

Now I am not saying that they are not producing because of Moen, because I am sure if you asked Moen, he would probably tell you himself that he has no business on the line. All I am saying is why on earth can we not simply just throw Pouliot with those guys for a few games?

Anyways, I'm kinda tired of watching Moen try to be a scoring winger...it's not meant to be. Pouliot is a big body, he's been playing good defensively this year and he has been doing some good work in the corners as well. Not to mention that Pouliot also causes quite a bit of turnovers in the offensive zone (more than Moen anyways) and he is a better skater than Moen...anyways I think this is all pretty obvious, except to the coaching staff apparently.

Someone please tell me...am I missing something here? and please do not refer to the fact that "they tried Pouliot on the 2nd and it did not work" balony...cause that did not last very long and many things have changed since then.

Please! JM...wake up. Just give it a try, if it doesn't help fine...nothing lost in the attempt.

sigh.

sprevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprevost View Post
So....this is the last time I will mention this, because I have mentioned it before and it basically went without comment.

Can we please put another offensive forward on the second line? Am I mildly retarded to ask this? Take Moen (who is way over his head in that role) and just insert Pouliot for the love of God. I think a certain Mr. Cammalleri would greatly appreciate another smart player on his line.

It's actually kind of weird, I have been listening and watching all kinds of so called " hockey experts" comment on the second line and everyone wants to talk about Gomez this and Cammy that and how they aren't producing etc....

Now I am not saying that they are not producing because of Moen, because I am sure if you asked Moen, he would probably tell you himself that he has no business on the line. All I am saying is why on earth can we not simply just throw Pouliot with those guys for a few games?

Anyways, I'm kinda tired of watching Moen try to be a scoring winger...it's not meant to be. Pouliot is a big body, he's been playing good defensively this year and he has been doing some good work in the corners as well. Not to mention that Pouliot also causes quite a bit of turnovers in the offensive zone (more than Moen anyways) and he is a better skater than Moen...anyways I think this is all pretty obvious, except to the coaching staff apparently.

Someone please tell me...am I missing something here? and please do not refer to the fact that "they tried Pouliot on the 2nd and it did not work" balony...cause that did not last very long and many things have changed since then.

Please! JM...wake up. Just give it a try, if it doesn't help fine...nothing lost in the attempt.

sigh.
I'd disagree, except that Martin has already broken up the Pouliot/Halpern/Darche line where Pouls was producing.

My gut reaction from watching the early season is that Pouls isn't ready for 2nd line duty. He's got the skills but on a line that has pressure to produce I think he second guesses himself too much, gets too tight on the stick etc.

But maybe "deblocking" on the bottom 6 will have changed that. I wouldn't be unhappy to see our top 6 back to the original beginning of season lines. Although it does leave the bottom 6 without a legit shooter.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
First of all, anyone saying he's playing badly or playing like **** shouldn't even comment anymore. The guy might not be lighting things up, but he sure as hell ain't playing like ****. He can move the puck and penetrate the offensive zone like no other,
What ? Don't go calling people delusional if your going to say stuff like this after. Fine Gomez skates very fast in the neutral zone, then what happens once he gets in? Nothing, he gets neutralized.

Skating well between the blue lines isn't going to create much if he can't follow through and challenge the defence. Face it, even Martin called him out and Mcguire talked about it aswell.

Edit: and I'm not talking about last years playoffs. We're talking about his contribution to the team right now.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGGy View Post
What ? Don't go calling people delusional if your going to say stuff like this after. Fine Gomez skates very fast in the neutral zone, then what happens once he gets in? Nothing, he gets neutralized.

Skating well between the blue lines isn't going to create much if he can't follow through and challenge the defence. Face it, even Martin called him out and Mcguire talked about it aswell.
That's more an issue of finding the right line mates that click with him. Once it happens, he will be dangerous again. Maybe right now we don't have the right pieces, who knows, but Gomez is here to stay so you better get used to it instead of acting like a baby

Old
12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
dralaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGGy View Post

Edit: and I'm not talking about last years playoffs. We're talking about his contribution to the team right now.
You can add the entire Rangers ‘board to that list!!! They warned us about the exact same thing the day of the trade …

dralaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
That's more an issue of finding the right line mates that click with him. Once it happens, he will be dangerous again. Maybe right now we don't have the right pieces, who knows, but Gomez is here to stay so you better get used to it instead of acting like a baby
Finding the right linemates? Get your head out of the sand. Martin has tried him with 7 different wingers in 24 games. Who else is there to try?
Honestly I think Martin should just go back to the
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line and stick with it until Gomez is forced to wake the hell up.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
LyleOdelein

Every single one of the top six scoring wingers (Cammy, Gionta, Pouliot, AKost, Moen, Darche) has produced at a higher clip in their ice time with either Plekanec (which is predictable), or Halpern (which says a lot about Gomez's struggles). In other words, Gomez hasn't been the "go to" centre for any of the Habs' wingers this season. Really not a good sign for a guy seeing second line minutes with a fair amount of powerplay time.

So far this season, Gomez hasn't been able to click with an offensive star like Cammy, the competent goalscorer Gionta, the inconsistent yet talented young guys like AKost and Pouliot or the grinders like Darche and Moen. In fact, he's dragged every single one of those players into the abyss of offensive struggle that he's been stuck in all year (many of them go on to start producing when they get "demoted" to Halpern's line). Quite frankly, I don't think that Gomez has shown enough to merit making a move to get him going and certainly hasn't earned the right to have his line stocked up (with Cammy and Gio) to try and get him some points.

People can try to find excuses for Gomez, like poor execution or skill level by his linemates, bad luck or whatever to try and compensate for his lack of production, but nothing changes the fact that every single one of Gomez's linemates has struggled when they've played with him this season. As a playmaking centre whose puck possession dominates his line's ice time, break-in and offensive strategy, Gomez has to shoulder the blame for the Habs' terrible second line production this season.

I'm of the opinion that maybe it's time to bite the bullet on Gomez and put him in a primarily defensive forward role for the short term. He's had a quarter of a season to get his offensive game going and has failed to do so. Dropping him down to a checking line should force him to simplify his game, which can often lead to a nice turnaround for a guy that's trying to do too much. If he were to turn it around, then he could play with the scorers again.

Worst case, this should force Gomez to hone in and improve on his already solid defensive play. I think it's quite possible Gomez may have to adapt his style to maintain and find a new niche as an NHL player, similar to the way that guys like Fedorov, Yzerman and Modano had to before him (not that they're comparable players, but good examples of guys that adapted their play as their offensive contribution fell off). He might not be as old as those players were when they had to change their style, but he also never had their baseline talent levels to begin with.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
14 pts in 19 games, I guess being invisible has it's advantages .
It's much better than 6 in 24 or whatever the hell he's got now, but he benefited from a guy who was scoring every time he shot. Scott Gomez was MIA last years playoffs.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote