HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Sufferin' succotash!" 11.30.2010 Coyotes at Predators

Old
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
The best game I've never seen (but heard) this year!

Preds win booyah!

We score TWICE on the power play.

Rinne steps it up and gets the shutout!

Do I have the go ahead to make the next GDT for tomorrow's game against the Jackets? If so I'll make it later tonight, as it's nearly noon here in Taiwan and I've gotta get to work.
Your call, but you can differ if you're not going to be available...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:40 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Your call, but you can differ if you're not going to be available...
I'll be available. It'll be barebones again unless someone could help show me how to do the fancy stuff. But I've already got a theme and video ready to go. Will put it up later tonight after I get home from work.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
I'll be available. It'll be barebones again unless someone could help show me how to do the fancy stuff. But I've already got a theme and video ready to go. Will put it up later tonight after I get home from work.
GDT with Columbus must include this:

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:54 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Personally, I think ALL GDTs should include that.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I didn't notice till now the wheels on the side...the first time I saw it I thought it was just the cannon standing straight up. That's really bad...

Old
11-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
I didn't notice till now the wheels on the side...the first time I saw it I thought it was just the cannon standing straight up. That's really bad...
I showed it to somebody today and they said it looked like a giant mustached cigarette in a wheel chair.

Old
11-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
worst mascot ever!!!!!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I showed it to somebody today and they said it looked like a giant mustached cigarette in a wheel chair.
I can see that too!

How 'bout those Preds! Pekka Rinne with the shutout victory, Weber, O'Reilly, and Tootoo with the goals. PP scores twice, topped off with an empty netter. No goals at ES, but 2 points is 2 points!

Old
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
cleangene

YESSSSSSSSSSS. It felt soooo much better walking out off the Bridge tonight compared to the last few outings. 20 something degrees doesn't feel all that bad following a REGULATION WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:40 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

maybe there is something to the bare bones gdt...

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Jonesey
It's almost time..

Quote:
Is it just me or is that complete bull ****? I don't care if it was a goal or not, but is there no replay at all going to Toronto? That's unacceptable for ANY game.
The whistle blew way before Erat poked it into the net. None of the players made any fuss about it and it was clear to all involved that it was no goal.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:42 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Why does it take someone on the other side of the world doing a GDT to get us another regulation win?!

Nice win. It wasn't pretty, but they got the job done.

Some great saves by Rinne (#2 star of the night on nhl.com!), 2 nice PPG's.

The 5-on-3 goal was like Sully/Kariya back in the day, across the crease pass with a wide open net.

I thought Klein played well.

Must play a lot better on Wednesday to win.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
jlsg

Finally. Interesting lines. I liked the way they looked for the most part. I hope they stay that way for at least a couple of games to see what shakes out.
Erat and Franson did just about all they could to give this game away. Brutal nights for both. I'm not sure that Erat still isn't 100%. Something about his stride just didn't look right.
Franson with several bad plays. Getting skated by on at least 3 different occasions. Hanzel I think it was just went by him like he was in cement. Making break out passes to no one in particular. Worse game I've seen him play.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
maybe there is something to the bare bones gdt...
I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
The whistle blew way before Erat poked it into the net. None of the players made any fuss about it and it was clear to all involved that it was no goal.
I realize that and I'm not saying the goal should have counted. I'm just wondering about how replays would work IF for example it was a tie game and the outcome of the game hinged on something like that. Because listening to Crisp and Weber on the radio feed they said there was no official review available because no TV feed from either team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Why does it take someone on the other side of the world doing a GDT to get us another regulation win?!
Hopefully my luck keeps up.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:57 AM
darth5
No!

That vaguely ancient and penile mascot so suits the jackets. I LOL'd when I saw that just now

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Like people have said, interesting line combos---at least Trotz mixed things up which obviously was long overdue. For the visually impared (no TV) others will have to comment on whether these actually worked or not. The D accounted for 11 out of the 23 total SOG's, so I can't tell from the stats if the forwards were generating anymore offensive pressure or if they were opening up some clear shots from the the blueline. From the shift charts it looks like Sk got a little more offensively minded players to partner up with, Wilson with a little more time than in the past, and Horny with a team low 14 shifts. Perhaps a combination of staleness/illness limited Horny's time last night?

Old
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
jlsg

As far as lines went, I thought Wilson looked much better with O'Reilly and Sully. I think that line as a whole looked better then they have in a few games.
The SK, Erat, Goc line would have done better without Erat. They did create some chances, but Erat just really was worthless. With the exception of the penalty, probably one of SK's better games. Maybe JP instead of Erat on that line. Still think something is wrong with Erat.
I wonder of it was illness or if Trotz is just sending Horny a message. He does well matched up with the right linemates. He's not going to create his own chances and maybe that's what Trotz is looking for. Horns needs to be on a line that's going to throw the puck at the net. O'Reilly and Sully are playmaking types. It's going to be a high perc shot that they take and that doesn't work for the kind of scoring that Horns is good at.
As far as the D taking most of the shots, I think that's what the Yotes gave us. They have a tendency to drop down and build a wall around the goalie and that leaves the point shot open. That and the D was jumping up in the rush some last night.

Old
12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
WartracePred

Did numerous Power Plays skew ice time for several players??

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:00 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Like people have said, interesting line combos---at least Trotz mixed things up which obviously was long overdue. For the visually impared (no TV) others will have to comment on whether these actually worked or not. The D accounted for 11 out of the 23 total SOG's, so I can't tell from the stats if the forwards were generating anymore offensive pressure or if they were opening up some clear shots from the the blueline. From the shift charts it looks like Sk got a little more offensively minded players to partner up with, Wilson with a little more time than in the past, and Horny with a team low 14 shifts. Perhaps a combination of staleness/illness limited Horny's time last night?
I thought the sk-goc-erat line had the most speed and counter-attacked ok. The puck seemed to be loose alot, if that makes sense. Their speed made them effective, and created chaos on the forecheck.

The tootoo-smithson-ward line was good for what it was. They checked. They ground/grinded/ate minutes. tootoo's attempt of a spin o rama made me want to vomit, but other than that, they were effective.

COR-Sully-Wilson made a lot of passes. I think the problem there is no finisher. I thought Wilson was strong all night. You could see him lose a few times in transition going back in our zone. They were dangerous if you feared being passed to death.

Hornquist-Spaling-Dumont-I liked this line alot, probably more because I want to see more out of Dumont, and more out of spaling offensively. I could of sworn spaling was a scoring machine in junior. I guess he watched the gamache and haydar films and figured out if it doesn't translate, you better be good defensively. They had quite a few good chances, thought they forchecked hard. Dumont got knocked off the puck a few times too easily I thought, butI thought they were good. Would be nice to see spaling get a goal or two though.

PP-If there was ever a two pp goal game that made you want to throw up, this was it. Especially in the third where we could/should have put it away. the yotes had better pressureon the pk than we had on the pp. Almost like we were ok to play keep away and just run the clock. 12.5% now on the year.

PK-fantastic. got that baby clicking at a 83.9% rate. Good for tenth in the league. A mark of a good team is to have the special teams percentages over 100. Right now we are at 96.4%. Almost a good team, which I think it accurate. Almost.

Huge game tonight now. A win puts us in the top 8, and a point behind Columbus. a loss and we are 5 behind and falling further behind them and STL. Win would be huge.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Well, from where I was sitting, "interesting" describes the lines best. I think with all the special teams time there was a lotta' mixing and such going on.

Smitty's line seemed pretty effective - not sure it was as effective as they were the other night, but Coach P seemed to think they played pretty well, too, so..... Last couple games they have really been able to hold the puck in the offensive zone for extended periods - just a shame they have virtually no chance of scoring if there are defensemen or a goalie out there.

Beyond that??????? Seemed to me a real mixed bag....

We didn't get many shots - even with all our PP time. 4 in the first period, 11 in the second, I think - and that's where we had the extended PP time. In the end, whether or not I "liked" the combinations, I look at the result and go hmmmmm. Course, we've been outshooting folks and losing, so.....

As night went on I think JP and Horny had some good shifts together - JP getting the puck toward the net and giving Horny a chance to do his thing. Goc line had some decent shifts, but then SK - I dunno - seems sometimes to just lose focus.

I wanna' watch them again tonight - it seemed like we generated a bunch of the kinda' "potential opportunities" where we were a step slow or outta' sync where playing together might smooth things up a little.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:52 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Wow I shave the Preds win and now everyone is shaving. It's like a reverse tradition thing.

Which if you think about it, makes sense. Nashville is a non-traditional market why follow tradition?

Tradition is followed by those who want to win. Tradition is made by those who do win.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Thanks for the line combo recap folks. Sounds like they worked or had potential to work given another run at it tonight---we'll see what names Trotz pulls out of his hat. I'm usually 50/50 agreement on the mix-n'-match approach, but some changes were overdue and really, anything to get some guys going is fine by me.

Old
12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Am bringing two newbies to the game. Hopefully this game won't be as dull as the previous 5.
They LOVED the game. Thought the slow start to the 2nd period was semi-boring, but that was covered up by the appearance of beautiful Jesse James in Leopard print with a, just as beautiful, friend. My friend had a Reggie Bush USC jersey on and thought about going over and saying something, but failed to do so.

Regardless, I have with what Sirryan said 100%, so I have nothing else really to add besides what I said above.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 12:19 PM
jlsg

Taking away the last PP at the end of the 3rd, I feel the 1st PP line has been doing OK. Not really getting the results we want, but they have been able to get some sustained pressure. The 2nd unit is worthless. The can't seem to do anything right. Only had 1 real scoring chance that I remember. The first unit was able to generate some action including the goal.
I disregard the last PP in the third because we made the mistake of not trying to lose and the Coyote's were pressing very hard. We were being way to careful not to make a bad play instead of trying to make a good one.
I agree that 9-10-74 had the speed. They were able to disrupt the breakout pretty good. I think what we're seeing from SK right now is a little tentativeness. He seems to know what he wants to do, just not sure if he should. He tried to get a couple of things setup but Erat didn't go where SK thought he was going. Perhaps if the 2 of them skate together a little more that chemistry will grow and they can feed off of each other.
I also think that of they can keep 16-29 and 33 together, Wilson can become the finisher ala Arnott. Again, I don't think anyone quite knows their role on the lines yet. I'd like to see this same setup at least though Sat. A couple of games and a couple of practices will show if it will work. Of course when Legwand comes back they'll get all scrambled up again. I can't see Smithson centering Dumont and Hornqvist.

Old
12-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I think what we're seeing from SK right now is a little tentativeness. He seems to know what he wants to do, just not sure if he should.

Again, I don't think anyone quite knows their role on the lines yet.
Unfortunately we get alot of that around here from rooks/young players/players new to the system. It's all about FOTDH (Fear of Trotz's Doghouse).

You just hope that FOTDH doesn't paralyze certain guys (Wilson and SK for example) and prevent them from fully meshing and utilizing their skills when they've got a little better group of players with them . I also like to think that Trotz sends out the message that "if it's working, we'll keep doing it", but I fear that his message is "let's try this, and if it doesn't, my leash is short".