HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery’s turn with Gaborik

Old
12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Unpredictable1

vCash: 500
Avery’s turn with Gaborik

I'm not sure if I posted this right, and I didn't see a previous post about it so here goes. (mods please fix or delete if I fudged up )

I'm pretty pumped and I hope Sean does well. I've asked for this a while ago, make the most of it Avery!!!

Watch the offsides Avery!!!

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

rahrah, maybe he can score a couple goals for once.

I hope he does well, but we are really grasping at straws with these line combinations.

Frankly, i'd be happier with Christensen-Stepan-Gaborik with ec taking the faceoffs.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I guess they figured they'd finally give Sean someone who could keep up with him. Now he should be offsides 50% less often because he only has to worry about being ahead of his center rather than his opposite wing.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

better than having Higgins v.2 on his line

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Ail
UH82CIT

Well everyone (okay most) have been clamoring for Avery to get some top-line minutes to elevate his play. Here's his chance.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Does everyone else remember the 2007-08 season where, somewhere in the middle of the year, Avery was paired up with Dubinsky and Jagr. I remember it vividly because THAT LINE WAS AWESOME! I had no idea why Renney would even bother putting Straka back on LW but he did and the odip in offensive production was noticeable.

Obviously the Frolov-Gabby experiment isn't working out, so this is what I would go with.

Avery - Christensen - Gaborik

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

Frolov - Boyle - Fedotenko

Prust - Stepan - Boogaard/White

I know the whole world is down on EC but I do see potential in him and he does look like he tries to make things happen out there. I would give him one more shot centering Gabby, this time with Avery on the other wing. If it doesn't work out this time, put Stepan on the top line and just leave him there.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
NYROrtsFan

I'm excited. Avery is good off the rush and a competent passer. Throw in the speed and it should mesh well with Gaborik.

Just hoping some of those other lines work out. Teams go out of their way to hit Avery too so perhaps that could open some things up for Gaborik and Christensen.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
TheyareGonnaGO

Torts can't ignore all the all star votes.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Well, I hope he makes the best of it.

The line combos though ...

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

ugh.

dont get me wrong, love avery but he does not belong on a line with gaborik. for that matter, neither does ec. that may be the worst 1st line in the entire league...

sean does his best work aggitating. forechecking is fine, but im just not sold on him playing with gaborik.

you wanna get gaby going, play him with stepan and dubinsky and leave them alone for an entire game. they'll score.

gotta love torts. avery goes from 4th line jerk around minutes to 1st line gaby minutes.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:47 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I am sick an tired of seeing Erik being pencilled in as the top line center.

I don't understand why Torts gives him CHANCE AFTER CHANCE when he hasn't done anything to warrant him getting another look.

I have seriously had enough of Christensen, he just doesn't deserve to be getting top line minutes, he really hasn't shown anything all year.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:48 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post

I don't understand why Torts gives him CHANCE AFTER CHANCE when he hasn't done anything to warrant him getting another look.

I have seriously had enough of Christensen, he just doesn't deserve to be getting top line minutes, he really hasn't shown anything all year.
He'd be a healthy scratch if Drury was back...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Miller Time NYR

Wait, are we playing the stars?

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post

Youve gotta see some of the things he does across the ice and in the offensive zone. The guy is the second most skilled forward on the NYrangers.

As long as we're still waiting for his potential roster replacements to come back, why not continue to experiment with him? He sure isnt holding Gaborik back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:51 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Christensen on the top line AGAIN is an absolute joke.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Youve gotta see some of the things he does across the ice and in the offensive zone. The guy is the second most skilled forward on the NYrangers.

As long as we're still waiting for his potential roster replacements to come back, why not continue to experiment with him? He sure isnt holding Gaborik back.
Derek Stepan is 6 years younger and outplaying him in every facet of the game. He belongs on the 1st line more than EC.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

ive seen his talent. so has every other team hes played for and let down.

hes a career underachiever and he continues to show me each and every night that hes unable to put together more than a few good shifts per game.

hes not terrible. hes not without value. he may not be holding gaby back, but hes not showing me that hes making him better either.

i see almost no click with those 2.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I also despise -- DESPISE -- his lack of passion. You can see it in his face. Game in, game out. No anger, no fire, no excitement. There's something wrong with that guy.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Ail
UH82CIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I also despise -- DESPISE -- his lack of passion. You can see it in his face. Game in, game out. No anger, no fire, no excitement. There's something wrong with that guy.
That's his worst quality, hands down. Between his confidence and bland demeanor he's just not a good fit in NY.

I think he has decent skill, decent enough to play with Gabby, but Stepan has been more consistent. However, he's still young, and not used to such a rigorous schedule. I understand if E.C. swaps with Stepan throughout the year.

No one has stepped up to show they have more chemistry playing with Gaborik, than E.C. usually does. Stepan has been consistent all over the line-up. So I don't think he necessarily has more chemistry with Gaborik than Christensen. So, for what it is worth, E.C. is still the best fit with Gabby when Stepan isn't on that line. As much as we may not like to admit it.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:24 PM
gunsnbutter

Is EC definitely centering the top line? I can't see a GDT on either Rangers or Islanders boars.

gunsnbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Must be some long leash Tortorella has there if it extends all the way to the first line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Redden taught him well.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:31 PM
XLJ

I thought Avery has been playing well lately good to see him get some more ice time.

I know Anisimov has been invisible lately but I would of tried him instead of Christensen. Christensen is just way too incosistent to be playing on Gaborik line. You dont know what you are getting from him each shift. He certainly has skill so I wouldn't mind increasing Christensen powerplay time. But then again we are playing the islanders so this might be a game that Christensen pads his stats like he did against the oilers. I like Stepan playing with Dubi and Cally.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Blueblood 2

Avery being showcased!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
TreeSapLlama

I am not against trying it for at least a few shifts and seeing how they work together. Someone already stole my joke about Gabby helping keep Avery onsides more too

At any rate, Avery might be able to get Gaborik a little more time and space because Avery probably draws the most focus of any player besides Gaborik on the team. I don't think I have ever seen a player NOT go for or finish a check on Avery. The Bullseye on his head may take some attention away from Gaborik. I think i would be a little more confident if they had a talented center to play with rather then the enigma. We'll see, anyway.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:47 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:

He also isn't really helping Gaborik at all. He may be extremely skilled but I have hardly ever seen him use that skill in his almost year with the Rangers. He should be on the 4th line as of right now. Line 1 should be occupied by Stepan, 2 by Anisimov, and 3 by Boyle. All 3 of them have outplayed him in almost every single facet of every single game. They should be rewarded for that and not be punished because we wait for Erik to "put it all together."

By putting him on the first line, he's holding, not Gaborik, but our young player's development back. He is wasting valuable ice time that should be going to players that deserve it more. Like I said before, he doesn't deserve it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Derek Stepan is 6 years younger and outplaying him in every facet of the game. He belongs on the 1st line more than EC.
Exactly.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote