HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Would Canada dominate......

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
  #1
xtra
Registered User
 
xtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,062
vCash: 500
Would Canada dominate......

the WJC every year like they did in the lockout year with a roster of :

Patrice Bergeron,
Jeff Carter,
Jeremy Colliton,
Sidney Crosby,
Nigel Dawes,
Stephen Dixon,
Colin Fraser,
Ryan Getzlaf,
Andrew Ladd,
Clarke MacArthur,
Corey Perry,
Michael Richards,
Anthony Stewart

cant remember the lines but the team scored 32 goals in the round robin and gave up only 5 (with 3 in 1 game to slovkia)

Current Forwards who won't be there for this years WJC:

Skinner-Duchene-Kane
Schenn-Seguin-Hall

Or has the talent level evened out a bit to even the playing field if all countries were at full strength at the WJC

xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:07 PM
  #2
TheJudge
Registered User
 
TheJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Canada would be very tough to beat if they brought all eligible players each year.

However, it's a one game elimination tournament - anything can happen.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
  #3
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
I think you can make the argument that Canada has dominated this tournament for at least the last 5 years with major loses each time. Canada has lost what, 3 games in the last 5 years, and has been in the gold medal game for something like 10 years in a row, or maybe 9, someone will confirm or deny this I know.

The fact of the matter is no nation can compete if Canada had its top talent every year.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:10 PM
  #4
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
the WJC every year like they did in the lockout year with a roster of :

Patrice Bergeron,
Jeff Carter,
Jeremy Colliton,
Sidney Crosby,
Nigel Dawes,
Stephen Dixon,
Colin Fraser,
Ryan Getzlaf,
Andrew Ladd,
Clarke MacArthur,
Corey Perry,
Michael Richards,
Anthony Stewart

cant remember the lines but the team scored 32 goals in the round robin and gave up only 5 (with 3 in 1 game to slovkia)

Current Forwards who won't be there for this years WJC:

Skinner-Duchene-Kane
Schenn-Seguin-Hall

Or has the talent level evened out a bit to even the playing field if all countries were at full strength at the WJC

^^^^ Not quite yet but it's getting close!
There are still different groupings of strength and the gap between each groupings is shrinking.
The teams in each grouping is also shrinking.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
  #5
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 1807
Yes. If Canada had those guys available this year they absolutely would dominate.

BUT the continued domination if all our players would be available is slowly coming to an end.

In fact I believe in the next few years the world juniors will be a 2 horse race between Canada and the USA.
I'm not saying any other country won't beat us or the states but the top 2 favourites will be Canada and the states.

Don't be surprised within 5 years that the Americans will be missing as many players as we have in the past and don't be surprised to see Team USA ring off 5 or 6 consecutive championships.


Last edited by 2525: 12-01-2010 at 04:22 PM.
2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:32 PM
  #6
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,525
vCash: 500
Last year 12 players who were eligible for the WJC were in the NHL and were not released. 8 of them were Canadian. The other 4: Karlsson, Hedman, Kulikov and Bogosian were all defenceman.

Canada would absolutely dominate everyone

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
  #7
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,284
vCash: 500
Having all junior eligible players available to Canada would definately be an advantage, but I'm not sure it would mean "absolute domination." These kinds of tournaments tend to favor an approach where individual talent takes a back seat to team work. So, if the overwhelming talent meshed, then yeah-it could be ugly for the competition.


Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 12-01-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:02 PM
  #8
xtra
Registered User
 
xtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,062
vCash: 500
Absolute domination in terms of the games.

in 2005 that team gave up 5 goals in 4 round robin games and scored 32

The closest game was 3-1 and scored over 6 goals in 5 of the 6 games.

That's the type of domination i am talking about.

xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:12 PM
  #9
bretzky29ca*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
A little early for predictions, but I'll give them out anyways.

Group A:

1)U.S.A
2)Slovakia
3)Finland
4)Switzerland
5)Germany

Group B

1) Canada
2) Russia
3) Sweden
4) Czech Republic
5) Norway

Quarter finals:


2a v 3b(Slovakia v Sweden) Slovakia
2b v 3a(Russia v Finland) Russia

Semi Finals:

1a v Russia(U.S.A v Russia)U.S.A
1b v Slovakia(Canada v Slovakia) Canada

Bronze Medal game:

Slovakia v Russia =Slovakia

Gold Medal game:

Canada v U.S.A=Canada


5.Sweden
6.Finland
7.Switzerland
8.Czech Republic

9.Germany
10.Norway

Germany and Norway will be relegated back to the B pool.

bretzky29ca* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:27 PM
  #10
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretzky29ca View Post
A little early for predictions, but I'll give them out anyways.

Group A:

1)U.S.A
2)Slovakia
3)Finland
4)Switzerland
5)Germany

Group B

1) Canada
2) Russia
3) Sweden
4) Czech Republic
5) Norway

Quarter finals:


2a v 3b(Slovakia v Sweden) Slovakia
2b v 3a(Russia v Finland) Russia

Semi Finals:

1a v Russia(U.S.A v Russia)U.S.A
1b v Slovakia(Canada v Slovakia) Canada

Bronze Medal game:

Slovakia v Russia =Slovakia

Gold Medal game:

Canada v U.S.A=Canada


5.Sweden
6.Finland
7.Switzerland
8.Czech Republic

9.Germany
10.Norway

Germany and Norway will be relegated back to the B pool.
I have a feeling that the US will win gold again this year.
I hope I'm wrong.
If Canada makes it to the gold medal game and it's against the US, I hope the coaches play that little video the Americans made last year. Might just piss off the Canadian players to kick some red, white and blue ass

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
  #11
bringthecuphome
Registered User
 
bringthecuphome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 500
The team in North Dakota was staaaacckkkked. And yes, they would dominate.

They kinda already do.

bringthecuphome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
  #12
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,518
vCash: 500
A lot of what ifs, but probably..just look at those names. But at the other hand, what if Sweden's best junior class in almost 20 years would've had the chance to play one championship on big ice? Last big ice tournament we took it to overtime in the final and those draft classes were leagues below current ones. Canada had Tavares, Stamkos, Doughty, Giroux, Subban etc in that one.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
  #13
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,850
vCash: 500
You arent going to find a better draft class than 2003, so just on the skill of those players in that year alone, they would dominate.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM
  #14
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
You arent going to find a better draft class than 2003, so just on the skill of those players in that year alone, they would dominate.
and the Flyers have 2 of them...how does that happen

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
  #15
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
and the Flyers have 2 of them...how does that happen
Yea and since that draft, we only have kept 2 first rounders that are current playing for our team (Giroux and JVR). 2 1sts in 7 years? How does that happen?

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
  #16
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Yea and since that draft, we only have kept 2 first rounders that are current playing for our team (Giroux and JVR). 2 1sts in 7 years? How does that happen?
Good asset management. Something my team should employ...the Leafs

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
  #17
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Having all junior eligible players available to Canada would definately be an advantage, but I'm not sure it would mean "absolute domination." These kinds of tournaments tend to favor an approach where individual talent takes a back seat to
team work.
I agree that this tournament definitely rewards the teams that play well together, but realistically the talent gap would be too huge. Considering Canada's results over the last several years in spite of the elite players missing, and looking at the two tournaments that Canada had access to basically their full talent pool, it's pretty reasonable to conclude that Canada would dominate the tournament every year. I can certainly understand why people would be sick of hearing this though... since a lot of Canadians are as well.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:54 PM
  #18
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Having all junior eligible players available to Canada would definately be an advantage, but I'm not sure it would mean "absolute domination." These kinds of tournaments tend to favor an approach where individual talent takes a back seat to
team work.
Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
  #19
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.
You are missing O'Reilly, Seguin, Clifford.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
  #20
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
bruinsfan46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,107
vCash: 500
They've won the gold every year since that one except last year. That's pretty dominant, if they had all their NHLers I'm pretty sure they'd have them all (Stamkos scored 51 in the NHL, he'd light the Americans and everybody else up like a Christmas tree with Tavares feeding him the puck). But would they be as great as the '05 team on average? I highly doubt it, that '03 draft class just so superb and there was that Crosby kid.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
  #21
tyler_sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.
Your forgetting Kyle Clifford and Ryan O'Reilly, who would probably be 2/3 of the third line.

tyler_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
  #22
umwoz
Registered User
 
umwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Schenn might still go...

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
  #23
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.
I don't doubt that those additions would give Canada a significant boost. I'm not sure it's enough to guarantee a walk though.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
  #24
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't doubt that those additions would give Canada a significant boost. I'm not sure it's enough to guarantee a walk though.
On paper it would look like a walk through, but the games are not played on paper so who knows.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:18 PM
  #25
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
On paper it would look like a walk through, but the games are not played on paper so who knows.
Well, thank goodness for the tourney there's some competitive balance. It's a tourney of big brothers and weak sisters as is.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.