HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders, Once a Dynasty, Continue to Crumble

Old
12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Isles Shawn

vCash: 500
Islanders, Once a Dynasty, Continue to Crumble

UNIONDALE, N.Y. — At last Friday’s matinee against the Devils, the dozen or so die-hard Islanders fans known as the Blue and Orange Army just about summed up their team’s season. From the last row of Section 329 at Nassau Coliseum, they belted out cheers, including one sung to the tune of John Lennon’s “Give Peace a Chance.”

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/sp...sles.html?_r=1

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle S View Post
UNIONDALE, N.Y. — At last Friday’s matinee against the Devils, the dozen or so die-hard Islanders fans known as the Blue and Orange Army just about summed up their team’s season. From the last row of Section 329 at Nassau Coliseum, they belted out cheers, including one sung to the tune of John Lennon’s “Give Peace a Chance.”

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/sp...sles.html?_r=1
Truly sad what has happened to this franchise, once the pride of the Island.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
TenYearsGone

Send a message via AIM to TenYearsGone
Well, obviously I don't like to read articles such as this, but at least we're getting paid attention to by a major outlet. Hopefully we'll get more attention to our plight and more backlash towards management.

TenYearsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I guess By Ken Belson and Dave Caldwell never want to go to an Isles game again.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Truly sad what has happened to this franchise, once the pride of the Island.
It still can be the pride of Long Island, if we stop trying to go against the grain all the time.

12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
BillD

If you click on the link of Wang's name in the article, it leads to archive articles about Wang and the CA affair. One of the Times stories outline charges made against Wang when he was running CA. It was an internal investigation of Wang, and it pointed out he ran the company as a one man board, terrorized anyone who disagrees with him, and purposely hired weak executives who while incompetent never gave him any back talk. Does any of this sound familiar?

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
lacunacoil777

Great article. Great photo.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:57 PM
SnowmustGo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil77 View Post
Great article. Great photo.
haha lacunacoil i absolutely love your picture there..it captures everything in this organization that is so terribly wrong. Between the bag on the head for the 14 loss skid to jon sim in the background, who shouldnt be on an NHL club..i was at that game and it was thrilling! i even announced it's game time!!!!

SnowmustGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Isles Junkie

Normally I'm against it when the media just piles on, but the NYI deserve all of this bad press. I pretty much guarantee this article wouldn't have been written if they acted like a professional organization with Botta.

You simply can't attack a member of the media and not expect the rest of the media to attack you back.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Halakness Monster

Nothing but truth in this article. But hey this franchise was built from the ground up, maybe thats what were seeing now. who am i kidding were probably doomed with this clown as our owner. It is interesting that Wang ran his Company like that. Extremely ironic, we really need an owner that has the ability to admit when hes wrong, and doesn't mind asking for someone else's opinion.

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
lacunacoil777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmustGo View Post
haha lacunacoil i absolutely love your picture there..it captures everything in this organization that is so terribly wrong. Between the bag on the head for the 14 loss skid to jon sim in the background, who shouldnt be on an NHL club..i was at that game and it was thrilling! i even announced it's game time!!!!
lol its great right? I have it as my facebook picture tomorrow at the office its my screensaver. To save the picture, you have to save the entire web page, then open the web page in office word, then save the picture. Everyone needs to have this picture.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:29 PM
E_Godard

I don't think we're a lost hope. Things can still turn around regardless of how bad some areas may be.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
TYorke

From a NYT article about Wang:

Quote:
Mr. Wang created a “culture of fear” at Computer Associates — now called CA — and deliberately put inexperienced executives in senior positions so that he would have more control, according to the report. He discouraged executives from meeting with each other and arbitrarily fired managers or employees who disagreed with him.

“Fraud pervaded the entire CA organization at every level, and was embedded in CA’s culture, as instilled by Mr. Wang, almost from the company’s inception,” the report said.
Gee...

TYorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:48 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

I had stopped following the team for many years, raising a family and whatnot - but i did follow football and basketball during that time, so I am coming in as a sort of outsider at this point, and IMO, Wang needs to sell.

He clearly purchased the team as a real estate play, and the TOH is either serious about the traffic concerns - which makes no sense since the arena used to be full when the team was winning, and the townspeople did not complain then, or Wang is just not capable of running the franchise.

If the TOH won't work with Wang for whatever reason, maybe its personal - who knows, then Wang should not have waited this long fiddling on his hands. He has not taken significant proactive steps to pursue other options, such as a lease buyout/move to Queens or another part of the Island.

And given how he retained Milbury while that person was making one horrendously bad decision after another, IMO Wang is just not of mind or temperament to own a professional hockey franchise.

Ideally, Wang should look to sell in the next few months, to an active, aggressive ownership who will begin negotiations immediately with Nassau County. Either Nassau county officials want to do business, or they don't, and a move to an adjacent county should be in the offing.

If the county won't budge in terms of building a new facility, the ownership should negotiate a buyout and immediately begin determining where to re-locate to. The team should initiate the planning process so that by 2013 the team is re-settled in a new stadium.

5 more years waiting for the lease to end because Wang won't take the necessary steps - and won't spend the money to buyout the remaining years while the team languishes - should and must be a totally unacceptable situation to the NHL.

The league should step in and compel Wang to either sell, or start the process of invigorating the franchise by starting negotiations with local officials outside Nassau. The league should also force him to hire a qualified President the way major league baseball did to George Steinbrenner when he was suspended from baseball for a few years. They also need to press the team to take injured players off the active roster and replace them, as the NYT article mentions the team is doing.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Isles727

Fabulously stated. I have been saying this for a while that Bettman and NHL need to step in because Wang is embarrasing the league and the other 29 owners. If Wang thinks this is all going to go away, he is sadly mistaken. I professionally wrote to Bettman expressing my views and concerns about Wang, the whole Islanders situation, and warned him basically to be prepared for pre-Wang attendance figures of 5K a night. I told Bettman that the bankrupt Coyotes run by the league is better run than the Islanders. He has not responded. NHL Live and Bettman (for his radio show) said they were going to try to get Wang on but so far I guess no luck. There is NO way this can go on much longer (forget next 5 years). They need to find an owner who will come in and get to work on get a new arena alone instead of trying to build a city which everyone knew was never going to fly with the county. I feel bad for all the Islander fans that have supported Wang with the Lighthouse Project by attending hearings and rallies and now feel cheated by this man who really does not care about this franchise. He is forced to stay here because of the iron clad lease. Otherwise, he would be agressively looking at other options and in interim run a professional organization not a "Mickey Mouse" one. Any chance Terry Pegula would have an interest in the Islanders if he does not buy the Sabres? I sure hope so.

Isles727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
It makes you wonder why the NHL won't step in. What looks worse, a franchise that is circumventing the cap floor and slowly driving a team into the ground or making public that an owner is obviously inept and making him accountable for damaging the game and league?

The Islanders will be sellers at the trade deadline, so who will want out?

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:45 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYorke View Post
From a NYT article about Wang:

Quote:
Mr. Wang created a “culture of fear” at Computer Associates — now called CA — and deliberately put inexperienced executives in senior positions so that he would have more control, according to the report. He discouraged executives from meeting with each other and arbitrarily fired managers or employees who disagreed with him.

“Fraud pervaded the entire CA organization at every level, and was embedded in CA’s culture, as instilled by Mr. Wang, almost from the company’s inception,” the report said.
Gee...
Quote:
deliberately put inexperienced executives in senior positions so that he would have more control
Quote:
fired managers or employees who disagreed with him
Exactly what he's done here.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
^That is truly saddening stuff there and validates much of our conjecture. This organization hasn't caught a break with regard to owners in a long time. Starts from atop, trickle down effect.

I still have faith and hope, however, that has rapidly dwindled in the previous months. Most of my faith lies in the prospects/youth, however, Wang may continue to undermine those once they reach the island.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmustGo View Post
nice alt account lacunacoil

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Exactly what he's done here.
And will continue to do here. We can change politicians every few years but have absolutely no way to vote Wang off the Island. The future sure looks bleak!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:44 PM
crashthenet

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/11/sp...es-misery.html

Seems like old times. No one talks about the TV contract.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Speaking of the newspaper, has anybody seen the standings in the paper today? The eighth place team literally has double, yes 2x, the amount of points we have. How pathetic is that? When we always used to talk about the season being over in December or January, it usually meant it was a longshot to recover. This year, it is not even a slight exaggeration, we are literally done, eliminated from the playoffs (15 points out) before even 1/3 of the season has been played. What a joke.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Pnut

Quote:
many Long Island residents oppose it
one of the few inaccuracies in the article. Even the next paragraph contradicts it when the quote Kate M as saying the residents of the town of Hempstead are being held hostage. This is wrong twice because the Town of Hempstead is not all of Long Island, and by Town of Hempstead they mean a few Garden City residents.

This article sounds vaguely familiar.

Pnut

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Doshell Propivo

Just an email from the Islanders titled "Make it a December to remember."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiots.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Just an email from the Islanders titled "Make it a December to remember."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiots.
So they now ripped off Corona and Lexus. My guess is some sort of (poorly executed) Old Spice parody is up next, but I'm flexible on this one.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote