HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

quotes from today on TSN (November 29th., 2010)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2010, 09:41 AM
  #226
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarized View Post
Why argue back? Every fan has the right to post their frustrations, especially under these circumstances. Oh and encouraging fans to change teams is pathetic.
Absolutely; everyone has a right to their opinion. When someone calls an educated and an expereinced guy like Burke a "cement head" or "dumb" how is that not an oxymoron? Also, if a person feels their time is precious and is being wasted on being a Leaf fan, then why continue being a Leaf fan? Makes sense doesn't it, I wasn't the complaining about wasting time watching the Leafs.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
  #227
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,401
vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Absolutely; everyone has a right to their opinion. When someone calls an educated and an expereinced guy like Burke a "cement head" or "dumb" how is that not an oxymoron? Also, if a person feels their time is precious and is being wasted on being a Leaf fan, then why continue being a Leaf fan? Makes sense doesn't it, I wasn't the complaining about wasting time watching the Leafs.
I think you're seeing a level of frustration never before seen with our team.

We have to IMO cut some slack to posters who really are Leaf fans but are so pissed that they say/post things that they say in the heat of the moment.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:47 AM
  #228
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,682
vCash: 500
People are emotional about the team. When they're frustrated, it's going to drive them nuts to see Burke say he thinks things are on the right track. Rationally, I don't know what peoplen expected him to say. I don't mind him defending what he's done so far, regardless of whether I agree or not. I will say that the backhanded shots at the fanbase by Burke and Wilson are a bit much though.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
  #229
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
People are emotional about the team. When they're frustrated, it's going to drive them nuts to see Burke say he thinks things are on the right track. Rationally, I don't know what peoplen expected him to say. I don't mind him defending what he's done so far, regardless of whether I agree or not. I will say that the backhanded shots at the fanbase by Burke and Wilson are a bit much though.
He does have that hard headed mentally (kind of like Bush and the Republicans) that in order to try and create credibility they can never admit they made the wrong choice even when circumstances have changed or their choice was obviously the wrong one. They would rather keep going down the same road rather then ever admit they may have made the wrong choice. Even when its completely understandable to change directions.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:51 AM
  #230
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
People are emotional about the team. When they're frustrated, it's going to drive them nuts to see Burke say he thinks things are on the right track. Rationally, I don't know what peoplen expected him to say. I don't mind him defending what he's done so far, regardless of whether I agree or not. I will say that the backhanded shots at the fanbase by Burke and Wilson are a bit much though.
I was listening to the Fan590 last night, and there was an interview with Berger and Wilson. Wilson said someting very interesting. At one point, he siad even if the leafs went 22-0 people will still complain (paraphrasing here). I am no fan of Wilson, and I agree with your statement on the comments by Burke and Wilson, but at the same time i think Wilson is right, some Leaf fans would complain even if they went 22-0.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:58 AM
  #231
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I was listening to the Fan590 last night, and there was an interview with Berger and Wilson. Wilson said someting very interesting. At one point, he siad even if the leafs went 22-0 people will still complain (paraphrasing here). I am no fan of Wilson, and I agree with your statement on the comments by Burke and Wilson, but at the same time i think Wilson is right, some Leaf fans would complain even if they went 22-0.
I think he said if the leafs went 22-0 he'd still be complaining about some players

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:00 AM
  #232
MattVenca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I was listening to the Fan590 last night, and there was an interview with Berger and Wilson. Wilson said someting very interesting. At one point, he siad even if the leafs went 22-0 people will still complain (paraphrasing here). I am no fan of Wilson, and I agree with your statement on the comments by Burke and Wilson, but at the same time i think Wilson is right, some Leaf fans would complain even if they went 22-0.
Wait one ****ing second. That is ********.

Here's the scenario:
The Leafs have now gone 22-0, earned 44 points and are sitting right now with 64 points in 45 games.

If you're a Leafs fan who is complaining, post. Right now.

MattVenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
  #233
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
I think you're seeing a level of frustration never before seen with our team.
I think what we're really seeing is the echo chamber effect of the internet where a small individual gripe can quickly cascade into a doubleplus ungood groupmoan which is then egged on by those with an interest in doing so either for corporate/financial or personal reasons.

Hysterical narcissism is the new black, and these forums simply reflect what's going on in the media and society more generally. The language of political theory - i.e. "the right to express an opinion" - has been appropriated and subverted to mean something more like "I have an emotional urge to be negative and have it be witnessed/validated and I won't allow anyone to stop me."

Couple that with a strong herd instinct and voila! 15 threads detailing every possible complaint imaginable dominate this and many other forums each day.


Last edited by Courage*: 12-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
  #234
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,401
vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I was listening to the Fan590 last night, and there was an interview with Berger and Wilson. Wilson said someting very interesting. At one point, he siad even if the leafs went 22-0 people will still complain (paraphrasing here). I am no fan of Wilson, and I agree with your statement on the comments by Burke and Wilson, but at the same time i think Wilson is right, some Leaf fans would complain even if they went 22-0.
Well IMO Wilson shouldn't have opened his mouth and made those comments.

He should realize that people live and die for this team and it's been a long time since we've seen a decent team.

But then he is the guy I heard say "****ing Canadian media" when he was with the Sharks.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
  #235
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattVenca View Post
Wait one ****ing second. That is ********.

Here's the scenario:
The Leafs have now gone 22-0, earned 44 points and are sitting right now with 64 points in 45 games.

If you're a Leafs fan who is complaining, post. Right now.
You missed the Sundin/Quinn years, I guess. One-hundred point season? Sundin isn't a real leader, Fat Quinn is useless and Bryan McCabe is the worst dunderhead to ever play defense. Oh, and FIRE JFJ NOW!

Go back and read the forum archives and substitute the names Burke and Wilson for JFJ and Quinn. Here we go 'round the mulberry bush.


Last edited by Courage*: 12-01-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
  #236
Darylman
Registered User
 
Darylman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
The season is on the verge of being lost and nobody in the Leafs management seems to care. Interesting that we see the frustration boiling over into Scheen, Giguere and Gus though.

Wilson's apathy is pretty striking. Can you imagine Burns coaching these guys? haha

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
  #237
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
The season is on the verge of being lost and nobody in the Leafs management seems to care.
You hang out with them a lot, huh?

Quote:
Wilson's apathy is pretty striking. Can you imagine Burns coaching these guys? haha
Do you suppose he acts the same in the dressing room as he does on camera?

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 02:57 PM
  #238
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I was listening to the Fan590 last night, and there was an interview with Berger and Wilson. Wilson said someting very interesting. At one point, he siad even if the leafs went 22-0 people will still complain (paraphrasing here). I am no fan of Wilson, and I agree with your statement on the comments by Burke and Wilson, but at the same time i think Wilson is right, some Leaf fans would complain even if they went 22-0.

you can say whatever you want because your point will NEVER be disproven....NEVER. So Ill tell you this much....Wilson is an A-HOLE...now that can be substantiated.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:10 PM
  #239
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I love how posters call an educated and qulaified guy like Burke a "cement head" or "dumb" when it is quite likely he is more educated and experienced than most if not all people here. To all the Harvard graduate posters here I apologize. In the meantime, you have identified the value in your time and how precious it is to you.Why continue "wasting your time" and watching the Leafs? There are 29 other teams that would love to have you on board, and I think as tough as it would be, we could manage here without your wonderful contributions. All the best to you.

I love how posters like TML4LIFE take exception to their heroes being called "dumb" or a "cementhead" What is he, your neighbour or something? Gawd...give it a rest...and buddy Ill tell you again...A Harvard Law Degree means absolutely squat all in the role or an NHL GM....NOTHING...so just because he has those credentials it doesnt automatically make him a genius at anything he does... Do you think that Stephen Hawking would make a good NHL GM? I bet he is a hell of alot smarter than your hero...but probably not in Burkes' eyes...

Also, when you judge me for slamming Burkie, I hope you never had the audacity to criticize Vesa Toskala, who Im pretty certain is a hell of alot better between the pipes than YOU...or how about Jason Blake? Matt Stajan? You guys can rip any player you want but the fact remains they play in the NHL and YOU DONT...so your logic dictates that we cannot be critical of any professional because we are not professionals in their capacity.

Im sure Burke is a fine lawyer and there is nothing more that I would like to see, than him proving me right....

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
  #240
mikeo1
Registered User
 
mikeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
....

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
  #241
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I love how posters like TML4LIFE take exception to their heroes being called "dumb" or a "cementhead" What is he, your neighbour or something? Gawd...give it a rest...and buddy Ill tell you again...A Harvard Law Degree means absolutely squat all in the role or an NHL GM....NOTHING...so just because he has those credentials it doesnt automatically make him a genius at anything he does... Do you think that Stephen Hawking would make a good NHL GM? I bet he is a hell of alot smarter than your hero...but probably not in Burkes' eyes...

Also, when you judge me for slamming Burkie, I hope you never had the audacity to criticize Vesa Toskala, who Im pretty certain is a hell of alot better between the pipes than YOU...or how about Jason Blake? Matt Stajan? You guys can rip any player you want but the fact remains they play in the NHL and YOU DONT...so your logic dictates that we cannot be critical of any professional because we are not professionals in their capacity.

Im sure Burke is a fine lawyer and there is nothing more that I would like to see, than him proving me right....
Maybe not, but he did win a cup. Or does that not matter? There are other NHL GM's and execs with a Harvard degree and degrees from other respected educational institues, do they know their eductation means "squat" in their respective roles? or as you put it, are they too "dumb" to realize. But of course, education aside, Burke the "cement head" has already won a cup. Looks like he already has proven you wrong. I could care less whether you or others like or dislike Burke, I want to undersand how someone who has accomplished what he has with the education level he carries makes him "dumb" or a "cement head". Guess you're smarter than him.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:45 PM
  #242
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Im sure Burke is a fine lawyer and there is nothing more that I would like to see, than him proving me right....
Burke studied law at Harvard, but at no point did he actually ever work as a lawyer(as far as I can find).

I don't understand why this is brought up so often. Most hockey people have an education in something.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
  #243
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Maybe not, but he did win a cup. Or does that not matter? There are other NHL GM's and execs with a Harvard degree and degrees from other respected educational institues, do they know their eductation means "squat" in their respective roles? or as you put it, are they too "dumb" to realize. But of course, education aside, Burke the "cement head" has already won a cup. Looks like he already has proven you wrong. I could care less whether you or others like or dislike Burke, I want to undersand how someone who has accomplished what he has with the education level he carries makes him "dumb" or a "cement head". Guess you're smarter than him.

Let me make this clear...the terms "dumb" and "cementhead" are only intended to apply to his current role as a GM (as in he is a dumb GM or a cementhead of a GM)
Obvioulsy, I dont know Mr. Burke personally to make an assessment of his intellect in general...Nor do I care to...I can only assess his job as the GM of the TML and so far I do believe those titles suit him well..

Dumb for all the miscalculations and bad signings and trades he has pulled off and cementhead for his views on what makes a good hockey team in 2010...Is there any other facet of his life I care about....NO. I couldn't give a rats ass

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
  #244
javier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I was listening to the Fan590 last night, and there was an interview with Berger and Wilson. Wilson said someting very interesting. At one point, he siad even if the leafs went 22-0 people will still complain (paraphrasing here). I am no fan of Wilson, and I agree with your statement on the comments by Burke and Wilson, but at the same time i think Wilson is right, some Leaf fans would complain even if they went 22-0.
Yeah, well then Ron Wilson should put his money where his mouth is and try to go 22-0, there's a reason why Pat Burns is fondly remembered around here and he didnt even win a cup. But he coach some really good teams that came close, and for that we remember and thank him and have warm thoughts of him, unlike Wilson who has nothing to show for his three years, cant wait for his tenure to be over. Should the Leafs fire this jerk? To quote the man himself, "LETS GO!"

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
  #245
Marcel Cousineau
The REAL #31
 
Marcel Cousineau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Yeah, well then Ron Wilson should put his money where his mouth is and try to go 22-0, there's a reason why Pat Burns is fondly remembered around here and he didnt even win a cup. But he coach some really good teams that came close, and for that we remember and thank him and have warm thoughts of him, unlike Wilson who has nothing to show for his three years, cant wait for his tenure to be over. Should the Leafs fire this jerk? To quote the man himself, "LETS GO!"
Fat Quinn produced some winning seasons here, and I don't see him fondly remembered. What exactly substantiates your term of 'fondly remembered' anyway?

Marcel Cousineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
  #246
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I was listening to the Fan590 last night, and there was an interview with Berger and Wilson. Wilson said someting very interesting. At one point, he siad even if the leafs went 22-0 people will still complain (paraphrasing here). I am no fan of Wilson, and I agree with your statement on the comments by Burke and Wilson, but at the same time i think Wilson is right, some Leaf fans would complain even if they went 22-0.
Yeah big deal, 22-0 in the regular season, what does that prove? Do it in the playoffs.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
  #247
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
I think, though I'm not sure, that the Leafs have all their picks after this upcoming draft. Burke has to know that the retool has been a disaster so at that point he may, if he's still around, decide that its a full rebuild. This is now a tipping point for the team, come trade deadline you might see the stripping down of this group. And if that is indeed the case, why not let Ron Wilson twist in the wind for the remainder of the season? Blame Wilson on the senile fox and begin next year fresh with a coach better suited for a rebuild.

I say all this presuming that Burke has to know what he is watching, which is a garbage team that cannot be salvaged, bringing in a new coach will buy him some more time for next season.
Sorry to burst your bubble but Burke had already traded our 2012 3rd and 7th round picks away. How about we wait and see what (if any) of those are left, now that he is entering desperation mode.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
  #248
javier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but Burke had already traded our 2012 3rd and 7th round picks away. How about we wait and see what (if any) of those are left, now that he is entering desperation mode.
Really, that's a little depressing. I dont think there's anything to get desperate, the Leafs aren't on life support, they've already flatlined. Burke knows it, the season is over with regards to the playoffs.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
  #249
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Really, that's a little depressing. I dont think there's anything to get desperate, the Leafs aren't on life support, they've already flatlined. Burke knows it, the season is over with regards to the playoffs.
Brother i hope your right, but i fear what a desperate BB might do to turn this season if we are bottom 5 come TD.

I already believe that he has sacrificed the returns for Kabber just to improve the team for this season , frankly i want him far away from the red button as possible.

I fear for the young and unborn.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.