HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Trade Deadline Predicament

Old
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
MilburyRuinedMyLife

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline Predicament

With the odds on the side of us being out of contention at the deadline and a number of potentially useful vets in the last year of their deals (Roloson, Wisniewski, Martinek, Weight, Moulson...) we should be able to pick up some extra picks or prospects. That said, will the fact that we're sitting on the cap floor prevent us from dumping some of these significant salaries? Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm worried that we won't be able to deal these guys because we'll need their salaries on the book to avoid violating the cap floor...

MilburyRuinedMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilburyRuinedMyLife View Post
With the odds on the side of us being out of contention at the deadline and a number of potentially useful vets in the last year of their deals (Roloson, Wisniewski, Martinek, Weight, Moulson...) we should be able to pick up some extra picks or prospects. That said, will the fact that we're sitting on the cap floor prevent us from dumping some of these significant salaries? Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm worried that we won't be able to deal these guys because we'll need their salaries on the book to avoid violating the cap floor...
It would just be stupid to trade Moulson or Wisniewski, and I would hardly call Weight useful.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:39 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
It would just be stupid to trade Moulson or Wisniewski, and I would hardly call Weight useful.
Moulson is a UFA at the end of the year and I don't see why he would return. So why not get something for him when you can?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Groin Of Bates

The one thing I hope for is for Snow to show respect to Roloson and trade him to a cup contender. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster deal, but the man deserves a chance, in my opinion. He always gave 100% to this team from what I've seen.

...he did it for Guerin.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:31 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
The one thing I hope for is for Snow to show respect to Roloson and trade him to a cup contender. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster deal, but the man deserves a chance, in my opinion. He always gave 100% to this team from what I've seen.

...he did it for Guerin.
But then who would take over as GM if Snow is fired?

Also, just wanted to say that your avatar is appropriate not just because of Botta, but also because of the Islanders' insistence on hiding injuries. Didn't the Islanders call DP day-to-day or something like that last year only for him to be out for the rest of the year? If someone decapitated Frans Nielsen with a samarai sword tomorrow they'd call him "day-to-day with an upper body injury."

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:11 AM
GilliesGirlie

I see Moulson returning for the simple fact Tavares is still on the team, plus I think he has some loyalty to the Isles since they gave him a shot.

All that is moot though if he gets an outrageous offer, which I really don't see happening.

Old
12-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

The "Core" vs Not in the "Core".

Rolli isn't part of the core.
Weight, well, not from a playing aspect (ass't coach? PP coach? Player development?)

Is Moulson?
Is Wiz?

I can see them being part of the core, so in my opinion they need to stay. So, therefore, if they get traded for a pick, then it seems like the (never-ending) rebuild takes a step back or two.

If you think they aren't part of the core, then his helps the (never-ending) rebuild.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post

...he did it for Guerin.
I think that if Rollie and Weight are traded, they'll be sent to real contenders.

In fact, that'd be the most destination anyway, especially for Rollie.

Of course, Weight is gonna have to be playing like he was in the first 5 games in order for him to draw any interest, even from some contender looking for his specific skillset.

Weight to Detroit and Rollie to Washington (if one of Neuvirth/Varlamov is injured at the time) are not out of the question.

I'd also go so far as to say that Dipi's health and Rollie's tradeability is one of the main reasons the Isles continue to go with a 3-way goaltending span down on the farm.

In fact, a good string of very positive starts by Dipi may lead to an earlier departure of Rollie than expected.

Don't know how this all is effected by the salary cap limits. It's possible that the team would simply have to pay a penalty. It might even lead to a signing or two of guys like Satan and Svatos.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
crashthenet

Can't imagine a market for Weight. Roloson might return more prior to the holiday freeze. If Wiz is not to be re-signed he will fetch at least a 2nd. If healthy Jurcina and Martinek could go as well. Wouldn't dismiss Konopka and his 60% on the draw.

If you had the chance to move Wiz for Fleischman this week would you have done it?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
MTK

Quote:
Picks is not what we need. We have had so many draft picks in the last couple years that we need bodies. There is only 50 contracts allowed and we have already lost some prospects due to not being able to offer them a contract.

I would try to resign Moulson, Wiz and Rolo for next season.

No one will want Weight, I would love to get rid of PAP and Shremp for nothing but no one wants them.

We need to try to see if we could trade for a useful player that needs a change of scenery. I think the last thing we need to be looking at is more draft picks.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Brunomics

[QUOTE=***********;29301063]Can't imagine a market for Weight. Roloson might return more prior to the holiday freeze. If Wiz is not to be re-signed he will fetch at least a 2nd. If healthy Jurcina and Martinek could go as well. Wouldn't dismiss Konopka and his 60% on the draw.

If you had the chance to move Wiz for Fleischman this week would you have done it?[/QUOTE]

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry I just don't think Wiz is that good. I find him to be more frustrating because it seems he does have it in him but he just can't get to that next level. Same with Comeau.

Hmmmm I wonder what a package of Rollie, Wiz, and Comeau could fetch us.

If they don't resign Moulson I'll flip. The guy is a consistant scorer and the Isles lack those type of guys.

Weight's not going anywhere, who in there right mind would even want him?

Can Martinek or Wiz fetch us a Fleischmann type player? Maybe even a little better? Scott Hannan really isn't as good as he used to be and they pulled that trade off.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:57 AM
MilburyRuinedMyLife

I didn't mean to start a debate on the merits of keeping these guys. My concern is that we'll be forced to keep them no matter what because trading them for picks and/or inherently cheaper prospects would put us well below the cap floor. Unless I'm missing something, it seems we've painted ourselves into a corner financially.

MilburyRuinedMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
I didn't mean to start a debate on the merits of keeping these guys. My concern is that we'll be forced to keep them no matter what because trading them for picks and/or inherently cheaper prospects would put us well below the cap floor. Unless I'm missing something, it seems we've painted ourselves into a corner financially.
If they are able to bring players back they'll be alright. Draft Picks I think could possibly put them under.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Weight isn't going anywhere, first off no market for him he hasn't done diddly on our third line no playoff contenders will have a need for him. Second off I can't see the Islanders trading our future coach wang/snow have a hard on for Dougie so thats not happening.

I'd be up to trade Rolie and Martinek hopefully we get players back but probably will just get picks.

I know some people don't like the wiz, but I'm a fan. I wouldn't mind seeing the Islanders resign him if it's an appropriate year/$. But if he were to be traded for a good package of prospects/picks I'm in.

And I really don't see Moulson getting traded and I will think he will re-sign but same as above if its a good package I wouldn't be opposed even tho I'm a fan of him.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Most of the salary will be paid out by the deadline. The players they replace any traded players with should be enough to make the cap thing a non-issue.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
NHL:
Moulson
Weight
Konopka
Parenteau
Sim
Gillies
Wisniewski
Martinek
Jurcina
Roloson

Minors:
Hilbert
Lawson
Yablonski

There really isn't much there that other teams would want. The ones that teams might show most interest in are Moulson, Wisniewski, and Roloson, with Martinek as a depth option, and an outside shot of Jurcina or Konopka earning inquiries for insurance.

Roloson probably has the most value, especially if a contender really feels their goaltending is a question mark. After that, Moulson might interest teams who need a bit more scoring punch. Wisniewski likely only intrigues teams whose defense is mainly a bunch of stay at home types, but needs a guy who can manufacture offense. And Martinek would likely be a good fit for a team that just wants a steady veteran for their third pairing. Jurcina and Konopka would only be intriguing to a contender as 7th defense/13th forward options.

But I don't see any actual players coming back the other way for any of them. Not long-term solutions, anyway. More than likely the other team will be looking to either unload their own expiring contract, throw in a middle round pick, or a middle tier prospect.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:19 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
NHL:
Moulson
Weight
Konopka
Parenteau
Sim
GilliesWisniewski
Martinek
Jurcina
Roloson

Minors:
Hilbert
Lawson
Yablonski

There really isn't much there that other teams would want. The ones that teams might show most interest in are Moulson, Wisniewski, and Roloson, with Martinek as a depth option, and an outside shot of Jurcina or Konopka earning inquiries for insurance.

Roloson probably has the most value, especially if a contender really feels their goaltending is a question mark. After that, Moulson might interest teams who need a bit more scoring punch. Wisniewski likely only intrigues teams whose defense is mainly a bunch of stay at home types, but needs a guy who can manufacture offense. And Martinek would likely be a good fit for a team that just wants a steady veteran for their third pairing. Jurcina and Konopka would only be intriguing to a contender as 7th defense/13th forward options.

But I don't see any actual players coming back the other way for any of them. Not long-term solutions, anyway. More than likely the other team will be looking to either unload their own expiring contract, throw in a middle round pick, or a middle tier prospect.
I think Moulson, Rolie and Wisniewski and Martinek (if healthy) all have pretty fair value. Particularly Wisniewski and Moulson. I have to say Moulson has been pretty damn impressive over the past year and a half. Any team could use him. Wiz has that shot and I have the sneaking suspicion that both will be moved and will get back decent returns.

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
try and resign moulson, martinek and wisniewski and roloson. if snow fails to resign them or if dipietro takes off, trade them.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
I think Moulson, Rolie and Wisniewski and Martinek (if healthy) all have pretty fair value. Particularly Wisniewski and Moulson. I have to say Moulson has been pretty damn impressive over the past year and a half. Any team could use him. Wiz has that shot and I have the sneaking suspicion that both will be moved and will get back decent returns.
As a Pens fan, the only one on that list I'd be interested in is Moulson. I think he could be a good fit for the Pens top six. It might finally mean they stop playing guys like Talbot, Cooke, or Asham on Malkin's wing.

And I'm sure those others have some value. I'm just saying I don't think the value will be quite what Islanders fans are hoping for. Other than Roloson or Moulson, I don't see anything higher than a 3rd round pick or later coming back. Or similarly, a middle tier prospect (like what the Pens gave up for Ponikarovsky last year in Caputi).

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
try and resign moulson, martinek and wisniewski and roloson. if snow fails to resign them or if dipietro takes off, trade them.
This. We need to stop worrying so much about picks and keep real NHL players, the Wiz may not look so great defensively but in a healthy defensive line-up he would deff be a plus, he simply does not belong on a top pairing and we all know that.

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
This. We need to stop worrying so much about picks and keep real NHL players, the Wiz may not look so great defensively but in a healthy defensive line-up he would deff be a plus, he simply does not belong on a top pairing and we all know that.
Exactly. These guys are decent players (all-stars on our piss poor team) and we're taking about trading them?

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I think that if Rollie and Weight are traded, they'll be sent to real contenders.

In fact, that'd be the most destination anyway, especially for Rollie.

Of course, Weight is gonna have to be playing like he was in the first 5 games in order for him to draw any interest, even from some contender looking for his specific skillset.

Weight to Detroit and Rollie to Washington (if one of Neuvirth/Varlamov is injured at the time) are not out of the question.

I'd also go so far as to say that Dipi's health and Rollie's tradeability is one of the main reasons the Isles continue to go with a 3-way goaltending span down on the farm.

In fact, a good string of very positive starts by Dipi may lead to an earlier departure of Rollie than expected.

Don't know how this all is effected by the salary cap limits. It's possible that the team would simply have to pay a penalty. It might even lead to a signing or two of guys like Satan and Svatos.
Though still early but there have been some talks that if The Devils tank they will trade Martin Brodeur to Washington for there prospects.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 09:05 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
As a Pens fan, the only one on that list I'd be interested in is Moulson. I think he could be a good fit for the Pens top six. It might finally mean they stop playing guys like Talbot, Cooke, or Asham on Malkin's wing.

And I'm sure those others have some value. I'm just saying I don't think the value will be quite what Islanders fans are hoping for. Other than Roloson or Moulson, I don't see anything higher than a 3rd round pick or later coming back. Or similarly, a middle tier prospect (like what the Pens gave up for Ponikarovsky last year in Caputi).
I'm guessing at the deadline - depending on levels of panic/injuries on contenders I think Rolie you get a late second or third...Moulson a second and a decent prospect. I think very highly of Moulson (maybe the only one on this team I currently have a high regard for, honestly - not counting the incompletes on our under 21 crowd). Wisiewski gets a two because how hard it is to find a decent dman who will be physical and play pp point. He has more value than what he currently is showing here imo...Martinek gets you a 3.

Old
12-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Ziggy96
Pleeeeassee Garth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Though still early but there have been some talks that if The Devils tank they will trade Martin Brodeur to Washington for there prospects.
WHAT???

I'm assuming he plans to retire? Because I can't picture him in another jersey for longer than a few months

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 09:09 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
If they are able to bring players back they'll be alright. Draft Picks I think could possibly put them under.
I agree that I'd like to see something back other than draft picks but this team's owner is more interested in this point at circumventing putting a competitve team together in the interest of paying the absolute minimum he can get away with in roster salary, hence we will only get picks and Wang will work to figure out a way to get to the floor. Look for a Weight extension and raise (just kidding, barely).

Lord, I have learned to truly despise Wang.