HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer x40 vs Easton SE6

Old
12-01-2010, 09:11 PM
spitfires07

vCash: 500
Bauer x40 vs Easton SE6

I've played hockey my whole life and for the duration of that time I've used wood sticks - simply because they were cheap and durable.

that being said, my buddy recently let me use his one95 a couple weeks back in a pick-up game and I fell in love. My wrist shot was unreal (I didn't get a chance to wind up for a clapper) and I didn't really notice any difficulty with the transition from wood (I heard it takes a while to get used to controlling the puck)

I'm looking into buying a couple one-piece composites and these are the two that caught my eye. The one95 is a little out of my price range so I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on these sticks. Right now I'm leaning more towards the x40.

Also, I want to buy new skates (bauer x30s) but I was wondering if I should wait til Boxing Day for some deals or just buy them now at full price? Should I also wait for Boxing Day to buy the sticks too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

spitfires07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:36 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
this is funny because i'm caught up between the same exact sticks right now. I'm also leaning towards the x40

RussianShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:12 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

I am also contemplating between these two..because of price range..

From what i have read on these boards the X40 is a great stick for the price

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:42 AM
gboyce

X:40 for sure, for that price range its's a better stick.

However, if you are going to go high end, go with an Easton. I have a ST and its a dream, the Kevlar wrap is awesome for durability

gboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 09:12 AM
ChiTownHawks

Well I really think I can help here as I have both the X40 and the SE6 as well as X30 skates. However both sticks are intermediate. In the SE6 I have a 65 flex cut to probably about a 73 and in the X40 I have a 77 flex cut to about an 84. I really like both sticks, but if I had to pick I would say the x40. I had the SE6 and had no issue with it other than I wanted a little more curve b/c it was a Zetterberg. I got the Kane curve in the X40 by the way. For some reason I really feel like the pucks explode off my X40. My slappers are a little more consistent and my wristers fly with this thing. So my vote is for the X40 but the Se6 is also a fine stick at that price point.

As far as the skates go you should really try them on, but I have had x30s for a year and they are very comfortable and show little sign of wear. That's playing at least once, but more often twice a week.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
spitfires07

k so I'm probably gonna go with the x40, as for curve, I was thinking the P88 Kane or the P102? Gagne curve - but probably the Kane.

I'm for sure gonna try on the skates, but my initial idea was the x30s because I've heard good things about them and also I'm using a pair of Vapor VII's right now and they've lasted me a while and have been good to me. I'm a big fan of Bauer in general actually.

I like what I'm hearing about the x40, my only concern is regarding durability. My wood sticks used to last me entire seasons, I don't want this thing breaking after 4 or 5 games

Old
12-02-2010, 05:59 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfires07 View Post
k so I'm probably gonna go with the x40, as for curve, I was thinking the P88 Kane or the P102? Gagne curve - but probably the Kane.

I'm for sure gonna try on the skates, but my initial idea was the x30s because I've heard good things about them and also I'm using a pair of Vapor VII's right now and they've lasted me a while and have been good to me. I'm a big fan of Bauer in general actually.

I like what I'm hearing about the x40, my only concern is regarding durability. My wood sticks used to last me entire seasons, I don't want this thing breaking after 4 or 5 games
I thought gagne was the P106?? from the HG website curve list gagne is the 106.. same as the jokinen.. is this true.. i had the jokinen on the vapor XX. and i loved it.
even if they are a little diffrent im sure they are as close as you can get as both are heel curves which is the most important factor in my taste

Old
12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
thorbs

I have a teammate who went from one95s to x:40s and he hates them. I'd suggest the Dolos on Hockey Monkey that are on closeout.

thorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:24 PM
spitfires07

yeah it is P106, P102 was just my guess.

I went to Sport Chek today and they were out of the x40s, so I was looking at the x30 for 79.99 ($20 cheaper than the x40).

I'm just wondering if there is a huge difference between the x30 and x40? I have no problem paying the extra 20 for the x40 but seeing as I didn't get to try it, is it similar to the x30? (x30 felt a bit heavy)

kk I'll check the dolos out thx for the advice, but after looking at another thread just bashing hockey monkey I'm hesitant to order from them. I wish the one95 was cheaper.

Old
12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbs View Post
I have a teammate who went from one95s to x:40s and he hates them. I'd suggest the Dolos on Hockey Monkey that are on closeout.
of course he liked the one95 better.. i hear those are the best sticks out there right now.. how are the dolos? never really heard much about warrior

Old
12-03-2010, 02:44 AM
thorbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegarrett View Post
of course he liked the one95 better.. i hear those are the best sticks out there right now.. how are the dolos? never really heard much about warrior
I was implying that the quality drop between the x:40 and higher-end sticks is quite significant, which might have been useful to the original poster? He found the sticks really blade-heavy and they had terrible stick feel, fwiw.

Dolos have a lower kickpoint than the one95s, so I've found it better for snapshots and wristers but worse for slapshots. They're only about $30 more than x:40s and I think they'd be a better value than the x:40s if your budget allows it.

thorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:17 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
i decided to go with the x:40, it sick. did not expect to be this good

RussianShark is offline   Reply With Quote