HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

38th Obsequious Banter Thread: The unnamed one

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It won't be.
Their really was no reason for it to be with the WC here in the 90's and other countries waiting around for alot longer. But Qatar? Alright if Australia beat them but Qatar? That could go really bad pretty fast or has the chance to be really cool with Qatar's endless supply of money.

2018: Russia
2022: Qatar

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
It's all about networking.

The best advice to give anyone in college is that they need to network and make contacts. An internship is lightyears more valuable than taking that ******** 2 credit art class in Rome or even a legitimate Summer class.

In DC, for example, most of the good jobs are already spoken for. Businesses just go through the hiring process so they don't get sued. But they already know who they want or, at worst, have it narrowed down to 2 or 3.

I majored in Philosophy. It's the highest paying liberal arts degree since A) it's one of a small handful of degrees that teaches and hones critical thinking skills while perfecting both prose and technical writing and B) you meet a ****ton of interesting, ambitious people who are out to change the world.
This is pretty much the best advice. I wish I had done an internship, but I never thought of it. And the networking thing is 100% legit. The more people you know, the more hookups you can get. Corporate/ Professional environments is all about politics and who you know. Case in point: How I got my job. Only ****** thing is I'm now stuck in my job, because despite the number of people I currently know from working here, I'm still a contractor and can't manage to get hired as an employee because all the open positions are going to friends of HR people, people who had internships here, or people who stuck around as contractors for a million years which I'm not willing to do.

And now I'm just venting my displeasure with looking for a new job.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
chaosof99*

Got like 15 volumes worth of Manga in the mail today. Woohoo.
Also, anybody who doesn't cry at the end of the first volume/episode of Cross Game does not have a soul.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
This is pretty much the best advice. I wish I had done an internship, but I never thought of it. And the networking thing is 100% legit. The more people you know, the more hookups you can get. Corporate/ Professional environments is all about politics and who you know. Case in point: How I got my job. Only ****** thing is I'm now stuck in my job, because despite the number of people I currently know from working here, I'm still a contractor and can't manage to get hired as an employee because all the open positions are going to friends of HR people, people who had internships here, or people who stuck around as contractors for a million years which I'm not willing to do.

And now I'm just venting my displeasure with looking for a new job.
Thing is, a very wide range of people can do most jobs. It just takes a moderate amount of intelligence and the ability to communicate effectively. So, if any reasonably intelligent and educated person can do a job, then it's absurd not to hire a trusted friend. Trust and loyalty are far too valuable to ignore and its something that an unknown person just doesn't have, even if they are worthy of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Got like 15 volumes worth of Manga in the mail today. Woohoo.
Also, anybody who doesn't cry at the end of the first volume/episode of Cross Game does not have a soul.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Mr Oysterhead

How do some people survive without coffee?

Old
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Their really was no reason for it to be with the WC here in the 90's and other countries waiting around for alot longer. But Qatar? Alright if Australia beat them but Qatar? That could go really bad pretty fast or has the chance to be really cool with Qatar's endless supply of money.

In 2022 it will have been 28 years since we last hosted. That's not exactly a short period of time. I'm not upset that we didn't get it either, but having hosted it "recently" would be a terrible reason to keep it away from us.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
In 2022 it will have been 28 years since we last hosted. That's not exactly a short period of time. I'm not upset that we didn't get it either, but having hosted it "recently" would be a terrible reason to keep it away from us.
Australia has never hosted, and I don't think Russia has either. I imagine those guys will get one before the US gets another.

edit: oh. Never mind about that Russia thing

Old
12-02-2010, 11:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post

It's funny they go from Russia, which might be a month-long rave, to Qatar, where there's a 50% you'll be locked up for consuming alcohol, in the hospital due to dehydration, or both.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM
flyersguy33*

The average temperature in Qatar in July is 96 degrees, with temps getting as high as 120. What the **** were they thinking. It wont be a game of skill, it will be a game of who can survive, literally. Terrible decision.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Tried Coffee once, couldn't stand it. I just go through the day like a zombie.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:27 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
It's for an events planning manager position with Aramark. I believe it would be based out on Neumann University. Just ****ing sucks cause it's more money then I currently make, but there's no way it would ever be worth driving the Schuylkill everyday.
Ahhh ok. That would still be like a 45 minute drive for me, but down 202 instead. I had an internship with the ESYHF this summer and while it was an absolute blast, the driving absolutely SUCKED. Had to either drive from my house to the office right near the Center, or drive to Pennsauken every day. Went through gas like it was my job and of course it was unpaid so that made it worse. Put just about 5,000 miles on my car in 3 months.

Quote:
Yikes dude. My last car was a 2002 Ford Focus (5yrs at the time) with 70,000 miles on it and it got totalled. Good luck with everything. I hate accidents. Such a ****ing headache.
Yea, definitely sucked. First time was ever in an accident. Definitely an experience I hope to never have again. Should be interesting to see how much the damage will cost and how much the car was worth.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:30 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Tried Coffee once, couldn't stand it. I just go through the day like a zombie.
I used to hate coffee. Absolutely HATE it until about 2 years ago. Now I drink a travel mug or more everyday.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Terence Peterman

Coffee's for suckers, if you want a kick just drink soda or 5 Hour Energy.

5 Hour Energy after you eat is pretty awesome in my experiences.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Ahhh ok. That would still be like a 45 minute drive for me, but down 202 instead. I had an internship with the ESYHF this summer and while it was an absolute blast, the driving absolutely SUCKED. Had to either drive from my house to the office right near the Center, or drive to Pennsauken every day. Went through gas like it was my job and of course it was unpaid so that made it worse. Put just about 5,000 miles on my car in 3 months.

I had to drive to Exton for 2 days for that training and i was ready to blow my brains out. Couldn't imagine an hour drive 5 days a week. When were you in the good ol' P-town? How'd you enjoy the hood? lol

Quote:
Yea, definitely sucked. First time was ever in an accident. Definitely an experience I hope to never have again. Should be interesting to see how much the damage will cost and how much the car was worth.
I just got in another accident last month, and between those two I'd rather lose a limb before I had another. As far as the damage cost, whatever it is, expect it to double because of labor. My car's damage was around 2,500 and ended up over 5. Good thing for you is you shouldn't have to worry about it. Only thing you'll need to worry about is the deductible.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:38 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
The average temperature in Qatar in July is 96 degrees, with temps getting as high as 120. What the **** were they thinking. It wont be a game of skill, it will be a game of who can survive, literally. Terrible decision.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Kambo

Oh and to the haters, coffee is the ****ing best. I'm very content drinking my 5 cups a day to keep me afloat.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Oh and to the haters, coffee is the ****ing best. I'm very content drinking my 5 cups a day to keep me afloat.
You must pee a lot.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:47 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
It's all about networking.

The best advice to give anyone in college is that they need to network and make contacts. An internship is lightyears more valuable than taking that ******** 2 credit art class in Rome or even a legitimate Summer class.

In DC, for example, most of the good jobs are already spoken for. Businesses just go through the hiring process so they don't get sued. But they already know who they want or, at worst, have it narrowed down to 2 or 3.
No doubt networking is important. If your network is weak, however, returning to school is a strong option. That's what I found when I was looking for work during my last year and went to grad school. Immediately met some good people, used my degree to get a few interviews, and boom.

I know a few people on this board are from NOVA (Northern Virginia for all you Yanks) or DC. I'm looking for places in Arlington or Georgetown to keep having to drive to a minimum... anyone have any good recommendations?

Old
12-02-2010, 11:49 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Yup. Can't stand anything but the standard black though... I see tons of people walking around with Pumpkin Lattes or Vanilla whatever and I just never liked em. Worry incessantly about my teeth though because of it...

Old
12-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
You must pee a lot.
I hold it a lot. I try to train my bladder for when I drink beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Yup. Can't stand anything but the standard black though... I see tons of people walking around with Pumpkin Lattes or Vanilla whatever and I just never liked em. Worry incessantly about my teeth though because of it...
I could never drink black coffee. Tried it a couple times but *******, that **** is rough. I don't really overdo it with the cream or sugar though. I like my coffee tasting like coffee. As far as the fancy drinks, I enjoy them but I know how much worse they are for you. I used to work at Starbucks when I was in school and probably drank 3-4 of those drinks on a shift, and then one day I discovered the nutrition guide behind the counter. Better off worrying about your teeth then the other stuff.

Old
12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
I had to drive to Exton for 2 days for that training and i was ready to blow my brains out. Couldn't imagine an hour drive 5 days a week. When were you in the good ol' P-town? How'd you enjoy the hood? lol

I just got in another accident last month, and between those two I'd rather lose a limb before I had another. As far as the damage cost, whatever it is, expect it to double because of labor. My car's damage was around 2,500 and ended up over 5. Good thing for you is you shouldn't have to worry about it. Only thing you'll need to worry about is the deductible.

Yea, I live right near Exton. About 10 minutes further up. I was in P-town a lot. They had summer camps there pretty much every week. I was scared for my life driving through the town.

And yea, it was her fault so it will cost her every thing, minus my deductible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
At least 5 of their proposed stadiums are open air.

Old
12-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
No doubt networking is important. If your network is weak, however, returning to school is a strong option. That's what I found when I was looking for work during my last year and went to grad school. Immediately met some good people, used my degree to get a few interviews, and boom.

I know a few people on this board are from NOVA (Northern Virginia for all you Yanks) or DC. I'm looking for places in Arlington or Georgetown to keep having to drive to a minimum... anyone have any good recommendations?
Courthouse in Arlington is right on a Metro. Be used to paying 1600 a month plus 200 for parking for 800 square feet though.

Old
12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

a word of warning: coming to Arlington and Georgetown to avoid driving is like shooting yourself in the foot to avoid being shot in a war.

Unless you can use Metro, then you're golden

Old
Kambo

Quote:
Yea, I live right near Exton. About 10 minutes further up. I was in P-town a lot. They had summer camps there pretty much every week. I was scared for my life driving through the town.
Where in Pennsauken did you have to go? I'm just trying to figure out if you even had to experience Cam'sauken. That's where I live. Naturally, that's where Kambo comes from.

Old
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

At least 5 of their proposed stadiums are open air.
My understanding is they have an AC scheme for those too. 2022 world cup won't be the most "green".

Closed Thread