HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#26: Bruins @ Flyers - Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-02-2010, 12:43 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
I know there are a lot of Carle haters out there, and I'm president of his fan club, but I have been really impressed with him over the last few games. He hasn't scored a goal, but his decision making is improved, his passing has been excellent (see his pass to Hartnell last night that led to the penalty shot) and he has been doing an awesome job with pinching and keeping the puck in at the blue line. He's not a sexy player, and he really doesn't get noticed, but that can be a good thing.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
McNasty

The main problem with the powerplay is it is essentially drawn up as get traffic in front and get a one timer from the RD. I actually think taking Timonen off the powerplay will do wonders, he doesn't shoot. EVER. Another thing that would be nice is if they tell Mike Richards he's not allowed to carry the puck across the blueline during a PP. I can't count how many times over the last 5-10 games he has got into the zone and instead of then putting it in an area a teamate can get it, he tries to skate through defenders and coughs it up.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not when you have speed and outnumber the defense. The other thing that dump-ins do is nix the chance of a quick counter rush with an empty net behind you.
OK, I get it. The Fyers were about to score 2 goals in 2 mins, and then win the game, but f-g Zherdev spoiled everything.

I get it now.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
OK, I get it. The Fyers were about to score 2 goals in 2 mins, and then win the game, but f-g Zherdev spoiled everything.

I get it now.
2 goals in 2 minutes is a better situation than 3 goals in 2 minutes.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Should have expected.

It was a 3 on 2, and should have been played like 3 on 2, drop pass or not. 3 on 2 is always more dangerous than dump-in. And not by 1%. Dump-ins usually result in just giving up the puck posession.
Philly had the Bruins penned in their own zone quite a bit during the game so dumping and chasing wouldn't have been a bad idea at all. Percentage-wise, it was a hell of a lot smarter than what Zherdev tried.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
vera1964

Quote:
2 goals in 2 minutes is a better situation than 3 goals in 2 minutes.
Sound about the same to me. Why didn't they score at least one after Z's turnover? Couldn't drop in?

Old
12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

I get it now.
That's a childish response. The point Jester and others are trying to make is that Zherdev made a completely stupid play which immediately gave Boston a goal and an insurmountable lead. They probably wouldn't have scored one or two goals but with his boneheaded move they never got the chance.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

I get it now.
ok we get it. the Flyers should do drop passes all the time with the empty net behind them. Prof. Zherdev will be the instructor.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Sound about the same to me. Why didn't they score at least one after Z's turnover? Couldn't drop in?
Yeah because there's a lot of gratification in losing 3-1. I'm sure they would have just poured on the pressure because breaking the shutout meant so much.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
It sounds about the same? I realize math is hard (sometimes), but I don't think it's quite that difficult...

Z's play directly contributed to making it LESS LIKELY that the Flyers would win, and you think that was a good play. You really need to think a bit harder about that.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's a childish response. The point Jester and others are trying to make is that Zherdev made a completely stupid play which immediately gave Boston a goal and an insurmountable lead. They probably wouldn't have scored one or two goals but with his boneheaded move they never got the chance.
And the point I am trying to make is that it was 3 on 2, and it was worth taking the risk. The risk didn't work, so now you all are calling it boneheaded. But it COULD work, and the chance of it working was more than dumpung in.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
vera1964

Quote:
I sounds about the same? I realize math is hard (sometimes), but I don't think it's quite that difficult...

Z's play directly contributed to making it LESS LIKELY that the Flyers would win, and you think that was a good play. You really need to think a bit harder about that.
Well, let me think harder... With two mins left... and applying the strategy of dump-ins... and playing it safe...

3 goals -- zero points

2 goals -- also zero points

So, 3 = 2.

I think it should be pretty easy to realize for such an advanced mathematician you are.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, let me think harder... With two mins left... and applying the strategy of dump-ins... and playing it safe...

3 goals -- zero points

2 goals -- also zero points

So, 3 = 2.

I think it should be pretty easy to realize for such an advanced mathematician you are.
I like how your defense of Z making a stupid decision is to argue that there was no real hope anyway, so you might as well do something stupid on the off chance it works out.

At some point you have to just accept that you're being a fanboy.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
And the point I am trying to make is that it was 3 on 2, and it was worth taking the risk. The risk didn't work, so now you all are calling it boneheaded. But it COULD work, and the chance of it working was more than dumpung in.
I yelled at the TV the moment he dropped the puck. You HAVE to get the puck in deep there.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:51 PM
vera1964

Quote:
I like how your defense of Z making a stupid decision is to argue that there was no real hope anyway, so you might as well do something stupid on the off chance it works out.
Exactly. If there is no hope anyway, anything that have the slightest chance of working out is worth trying. And if this something is 3 on 2 it's definitely worth trying. And it's not stupid.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Exactly. If there is no hope anyway, anything that have the slightest chance of working out is worth trying. And if this something is 3 on 2 it's definitely worth trying. And it's not stupid.
Yes, because establishing possession down low in your opponents end never leads to goals... no chance of working.

It was a stupid decision... it was being reckless with the puck at an area of the ice where even with a goalie behind you turnovers are killer. His teammates were not expecting it (because everyone knows you get the puck in deep in that situation), and he left his team out to dry by not getting it deep.

Didn't cost 'em the game, as I agree they weren't winning anyway... but it was the worst decision he could have made there.

Old
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I have been defending Zherdev a lot, but that play yesterday was awful. You cant do that with a pulled goalie

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I have been defending Zherdev a lot, but that play yesterday was awful. You cant do that with a pulled goalie

I like Zherdev as well and I'm not trying to kick him in the nuts over a turnover. As I said before, he wasn't the only guy out there coughing up pucks. Flyers were impressive at times along the walls, but teams are staying higher on our points and being more aggressive in their own end against them. Not making that drop pass though is hockey 101.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Not making that drop pass though is hockey 101.
OK, but does hockey 101 consider how to play with 2 min left, 2 goals down?

And why even Zherdev was on the field at that point? To dump-in pucks? To make safe plays? To forcheck? I am sure there are better forcheckers on Flyers than he is.

Laviolette was hoping for a little miracle -- nothing else could have saved Flyers at that point. Zherdev has a history of making these "miracles" happen from time to time, including the situation with pulled up goalie.

Didn't work this time -- a big deal. Giroux's awfull pass lost the previous game -- not a lot of people complained about that.

Old
12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
you cant make turnovers, especially unforced with the goalie pulled

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Cartsiephan*

Zherdev should be getting top PP time and top minutes on this team, he deserves the chance to show his stuff. Who cares if he makes a drop pass in a close game, he is exciting, breathtaking even, so making a blind drop pass at the blueline is something he NEEDS to do to show he belongs.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:18 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
you cant make turnovers, especially unforced with the goalie pulled
No you can't, but as a team they were very careless with the puck at both bluelines. Zherdev made a bad play, but I think it's certainly being highlighted b/c it directly lead to a goal.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Zherdev should be getting top PP time and top minutes on this team, he deserves the chance to show his stuff. Who cares if he makes a drop pass in a close game, he is exciting, breathtaking even, so making a blind drop pass at the blueline is something he NEEDS to do to show he belongs.
I'm not sure i underestand why someone needs to make an insanely risky play at the blueline with an empty net to show they belong

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm not sure i underestand why someone needs to make an insanely risky play at the blueline with an empty net to show they belong
I think it was just sarcasm

Old
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I think it was just sarcasm
Knowing Cartsiephan, it probably wasn't.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote