HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Broadcasters

View Poll Results: Who do you want in the TV booth?
Jackson and Jones 21 24.71%
Jackson and Clement 36 42.35%
Jackson and Bundy 5 5.88%
Saunders and Jones 2 2.35%
Saunders and Clement 16 18.82%
Saunders and Bundy 2 2.35%
Other 3 3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
flountown

vCash: 500
How can people hate on Coatesy, he's hilarious, he gets drunk, makes jokes about himself being a drunk, then tells you he was looking right over the guys shoulder. The reason people dislike him is because they wish they could be him, I would love to stand down there all game and here the back and forth between guys at the bench.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Flyskippy

I wish we could trade for Drew and Randy of the San Jose Comcast team. They're the best tandem in hockey.

Thorne was ok, but you knew who his favorite 5 teams were: Detroit, Colorado, New York (Rangers), New Jersey, and Dallas. He was also infamous in Philly for constantly calling Justin Williams "Jason". No, Gary, that's the Williams from one of your favorite teams. His garbled exciteable calls when those 5 teams score makes Saunders sound like he's on Ritalin and Valium.

Example: "(garbled dialogue)... Darren McCarty!!!"

Honestly, I think JJ is less homerish with Clement in the booth. Clement is also less repetitive than Keith "(insert positive adjective here) Job" Jones and Steve "Absolutely (insert adjective here)" Coates. So, sign me up for JJ calling the game (provided he actually calls the game and doesn't offer anecdotes) with Clement in the booth and Therien between the benches.

Oh, and put it on HBO so we can get "on ice" chit-chat between the players like JR once suggested.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I wish we could trade for Drew and Randy of the San Jose Comcast team. They're the best tandem in hockey.
They are very good, and SO much better than the average announcers.

Quote:
Oh, and put it on HBO so we can get "on ice" chit-chat between the players like JR once suggested.
That would be amazing!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Gotta agree with Sarge! But since we can't go there, I'd take Emrick back over JJ (and I was one of those who wrote in that I wanted Hart back on the TV side). Then again, I grew up with Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick doing Rangers games and found that I could actually watch Rangers games (unless the Flyers were on). That was back before CI, so maybe that had something to do with it.
I'd take John Forsland but not Tripp Tracy, Drew Remensda and Randy Hahn (another vote for best team in the NHL), Jeff Rimer, or John Kelly (though, being an old-timer, I'd take his father), and almost anyone on a Canadian-originated broadcast.
Can't stand ... Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Boston, especially Washington (Beninati and Laughlin are easily the worst in the NHL, and that's saying something after the first three broadcasts mentioned).

And a bit off-topic, where's Dorney been recently? Anyone seen him at a game? Bernie and Hound have been around, but I haven't seen Dorney. And yes, he did give you something unique with the Stopitrightthere segment.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
I like the current set-up (JJ & Jonesy/BC). Not a lot of guys in the NHL do a great job on the play-by-play. JJ does tend to get a tad bit homerish and *****y (about calls etc), but so do almost all other announcers. IMO they both do a superb job and i think we are lucky to have a decent group. Some of the tandems in the league are absolutely horrible.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:14 AM
BillDineen

I guess I am the rare exception, because I hate Clememt, always have always will. Sometimes I have to remind myself that he actually played the game. He has a warm, soothing voice that could sell prescription drugs, but his commentary is horrible IMO.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:28 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Tim saunders gives me heart attacks when people take slapshots. That said, nothing like a tim saunder's goal call...

I vote for Saunders and Clement's mustache.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:30 AM
CantSeeColors

Can someone explain to me why Jackson's homerism is treated like a bad thing here? Personally, I want my team's broadcaster to act like he roots for the team.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:34 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat

Picture this... an old man peers at the soft glow the hockey game from an old television set, leaning forward on his chair. The desert dishes rattle as his wife starts to carry them out of the family room to the kitchen, when right about the 11 second mark of this video you hear the sound of a scream cat as it's stepped on, the crash of dishes as she falls into the china cabinet and tries to grab on, only to have it fall over onto the television set, sending sparks flying and the cat hissing. A dog starts to bark in the background, and the sound of a car alarm rings out...

Last edited by The Cheat: 12-06-2010 at 10:40 AM.
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Anyone hating on Coatsey needs to get the **** out

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Can someone explain to me why Jackson's homerism is treated like a bad thing here? Personally, I want my team's broadcaster to act like he roots for the team.
I personally prefer neutral broadcasters that know what they're talking about.

In actual practice, this isn't possible... as I don't care who you are, if your job is to spend a ton of time around one team, call all of their games, travel with 'em, etc. you're going to end up pulling for 'em -- if nothing else, because you want to call playoff games and all that good stuff.

Now, that natural homerism is fine... but when it gets over the top, it's just grating (to me anyway).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I miss Dorny too sometimes.

I remember loving when he used to break down the periods in intermission. Hell, no one does that anymore.
I sure as hell don't. Guy was going senile and every goal against the Flyers was supposedly the result of a SCREEN. I swear even empty net goals for the extra attacker!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I sure as hell don't. Guy was going senile and every goal against the Flyers was supposedly the result of a SCREEN. I swear even empty net goals for the extra attacker!
He also got way too excited about checks/fights... to the detriment of paying attention to anything else that was going on.

Old
12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He also got way too excited about checks/fights... to the detriment of paying attention to anything else that was going on.
Yeah he always elbowed Jackson in the booth or something like that....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:28 PM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
this is the reason i can't stand eddy olczyk. according to him, the flyers didn't score a single goal during the entire finals that wasn't the result of a defensive breakdown for chicago or a misguided line change. obvious homerism should be saved for local broadcasts.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
this is the reason i can't stand eddy olczyk. according to him, the flyers didn't score a single goal during the entire finals that wasn't the result of a defensive breakdown for chicago or a misguided line change. obvious homerism should be saved for local broadcasts.
In fairness, if you breakdown the majority of goals in the NHL... someone *ing up directly proceeds them. Defenses have gotten too good for individual plays to manifest in goals with much ease.

Old
12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
I'd rather have Clement than Jonesy. Clement was the best with Gary Thorne on the ESPN broadcasts, he's more descriptive than Jonesy.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

I like JJ and Jones. I also like Clement and coatsey, no need for a change, keep letting Clement do the games with JJ when Jones is on versus

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
You don't know what you got til it's gone (or you're watching 75 percent away/versus broadcasts)...JJ and Jonesy are miles ahead of most teams I've heard calling games, and easily, for what it's worth, the best in the Atlantic
this this this

In WV i get the Pens broadcasts and the BJs broadcasts, plus whatever VS shows. I'd kill to hear JJ and Jonesy/Clement more often, even Coatsey.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I miss Dorny too sometimes.

I remember loving when he used to break down the periods in intermission. Hell, no one does that anymore.
"Stop it right there."

OH MAN! What a nostalgia burst.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:40 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I don't care what any of you say; a Flyers broadcast wouldn't be the same without Coatesy screaming "he who goes first loses" and "I was looking over (the scorer's) shoulder and...". Not to mention how JJ and Jonesy/Clement always make fun of him.
It drives me bonkers when he says that, which is any time he has anything to say from ice level ever. Other than that I don't mind him.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
kevinjd182

Anyone is better than Errey and Steigerwald. Stuck at Penn State listening to those 2 is the worst.

kevinjd182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:32 PM
captainpaxil

im surprised at some of these. coatsey absolutely is what makes a flyers broadcast for me sometimes. i think clements an absolute bore as a color guy and dont undertsand why he doesnt just do the play by play. he could still bring his insight but hes about as far from entertaining as possible. therien is great cuz hell just rip into guys after a bad play. hes at least a homer both ways. i like jones alot he seems to call the same way regardless if its national or local. saunders and jackson i could take or leave though

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
BringBackStevens

I love Coatsey for the entertainment value. My friends and I just stare at each other in amazement when he speaks and then when he's done the room just explodes into laughter. Please don't get rid of him.

As for Jackson, he's a definite homer but I must admit that he is quite a good play by play guy. He rarely messes up and he usually sticks to the play, which I appreciate.

Bundy would be perfect in the booth as a color guy. He's great

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Gert B Frobe

I miss the old Prism days of Mike Emrick and Bill Clement although I do hate how Emrick slobbers all over Crosby on NBC and Versus games. So I guess I like the old Emrick. I don't mind him doing Devils games as he isn't a huge homer.

I guess I'd take Saunders and Clement with either Therien or Jones between the benches. Jackson is fine - he just doesn't bring much. Sauders' calls are much more exciting.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote