HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bubbles/Uneven Ice on Backyard Pond

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2010, 08:38 AM
  #1
pistolpete31
Registered User
 
pistolpete31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Bubbles/Uneven Ice on Backyard Pond

Got several bubbles on my pond out back and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to smooth/flatten them out? I was thinking of using hot water.

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:36 AM
  #2
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete31 View Post
Got several bubbles on my pond out back and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to smooth/flatten them out? I was thinking of using hot water.
I envy you so much for having a backyard ice rink. Once I graduate college and get a job, Minnesota is the first place I am moving to. They have great schools, one of the best hospitals, and its hockey crazy.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
  #3
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete31 View Post
Got several bubbles on my pond out back and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to smooth/flatten them out? I was thinking of using hot water.
I have never constructed my own backyard rink, yet. From doing reading though I heard hot/warm water does this.

i have seen some pretty cool designs for ice resurfacing tools, for backyard ponds/rinks.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
  #4
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I envy you so much for having a backyard ice rink. Once I graduate college and get a job, Minnesota is the first place I am moving to. They have great schools, one of the best hospitals, and its hockey crazy.
I have been looking to move farther north as well. I have really started looking heavily in the Duluth area.

Very mild summer (no warmer than 80 degrees on average), and lots of snow with pretty cold winters. Plus you can move into Nothern Wisconsin or Minnesota, and get a good deal on a house w/ some acreage.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
  #5
Blueland89
Registered User
 
Blueland89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calhoun, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
I know this isn't a backyard rink and I might get made fun of for it but I had a huge metal pan that I filled with water and put in our deep freezer to make an ice surface to shoot off of (I have a shooting pad but I wanted to shoot off of ice) it layed flat but when the ice froze there was a lump in the ice. anybody know how to fix that


Last edited by Blueland89: 12-03-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
  #6
Doshell Propivo
Registered User
 
Doshell Propivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
I used to play on ponds and, believe it or not, swimming pools in the winter. At least it was an inground pool so not as white trash as it sounds...

As kids we'd be there all night with buckets of hot water and rags smoothening out the cracks and bubbles so that it would be perfect for the morning.

The hot water does work (kind of), but it takes a long time and you get relatively little reward for the effort. If you can get a hose out there with hot water you'd be in business though...

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
  #7
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
I used to play on ponds and, believe it or not, swimming pools in the winter. At least it was an inground pool so not as white trash as it sounds...

As kids we'd be there all night with buckets of hot water and rags smoothening out the cracks and bubbles so that it would be perfect for the morning.

The hot water does work (kind of), but it takes a long time and you get relatively little reward for the effort. If you can get a hose out there with hot water you'd be in business though...
You can actually get attachments so that hoses can be fit to standard bathroom/kitchen faucets, which would make this doable if the ice surface is really close by.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
  #8
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
your hot-water heater should have a faucet some place close to the bottom and you can run a hose right off of that to get hot water to the rink.

You are lucky that you can skate this soon. I'm in the toronto Canada area and my Igloo melted in the spring and I still cant rebuild it.

No really we won't be skating until Jan here. if we are lucky.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
  #9
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,581
vCash: 500
Bubbles and other similar things in ice are caused by an improper freeze. Rather than freezing water from the bottom to the top, it's going from the top down and from the bottom up. So you're getting two thin layers of ice with water in the middle, and as that freezes the bubbles form.

An indoor rink uses hot water to ensure that the ice freezes from the bottom up, but an indoor rink also doesn't have to deal with sub-freezing air causing an issue. A Zamboni or Olympia also lays down a pretty thin layer of water, and during the ice building process initially, there's usually crews that have sprayers that spray a hot mist down to build up the ice.

Basically, if there's a way to build a wind break of some type around your outdoor rink and then use thin layers of hot water, you'll have good dense ice.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
  #10
pistolpete31
Registered User
 
pistolpete31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Thanks guys I will try some hot water out there

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
  #11
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
I have been looking to move farther north as well. I have really started looking heavily in the Duluth area.

Very mild summer (no warmer than 80 degrees on average), and lots of snow with pretty cold winters. Plus you can move into Nothern Wisconsin or Minnesota, and get a good deal on a house w/ some acreage.
Precisely. Really want a lot of space to make my own full sized rink if possible.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
  #12
IDuck
Registered User
 
IDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,510
vCash: 500
it has been soooooooooo cold here and i was skating on my pond since thanksgiving...though we have gotten so much snow that i havent been able to keep up with the snow...if its cold enough and a hose will reach i would just re-flood it if its small enough put if its just a few bubbles just punch a stick through the bubble and it will re-freeze itself...thats what i do but the pond i play on is about 300ft by 300ft so i can always just move to a different spot

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
  #13
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
it has been soooooooooo cold here and i was skating on my pond since thanksgiving...though we have gotten so much snow that i havent been able to keep up with the snow...if its cold enough and a hose will reach i would just re-flood it if its small enough put if its just a few bubbles just punch a stick through the bubble and it will re-freeze itself...thats what i do but the pond i play on is about 300ft by 300ft so i can always just move to a different spot
Where is "here"?

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:34 PM
  #14
IDuck
Registered User
 
IDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,510
vCash: 500
Idaho

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
  #15
titaniumexpose
Registered User
 
titaniumexpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fjord Chity, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
I know this isn't a backyard rink and I might get made fun of for it but I had a huge metal pan that I filled with water and put in our deep freezer to make an ice surface to shoot off of (I have a shooting pad but I wanted to shoot off of ice) it layed flat but when the ice froze there was a lump in the ice. anybody know how to fix that
Maybe try using hot water before you put it in the freezer. Ice cubes always seem to come out nicer (and freeze quicker for some reason) if you use hot water. Must be a fluid dynamics thing.

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
  #16
Blueland89
Registered User
 
Blueland89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calhoun, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumexpose View Post
Maybe try using hot water before you put it in the freezer. Ice cubes always seem to come out nicer (and freeze quicker for some reason) if you use hot water. Must be a fluid dynamics thing.
yeah I used steaming hot water

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.