HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bubbles/Uneven Ice on Backyard Pond

Old
12-02-2010, 08:38 AM
pistolpete31

vCash: 500
Bubbles/Uneven Ice on Backyard Pond

Got several bubbles on my pond out back and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to smooth/flatten them out? I was thinking of using hot water.

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:36 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete31 View Post
Got several bubbles on my pond out back and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to smooth/flatten them out? I was thinking of using hot water.
I envy you so much for having a backyard ice rink. Once I graduate college and get a job, Minnesota is the first place I am moving to. They have great schools, one of the best hospitals, and its hockey crazy.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete31 View Post
I have never constructed my own backyard rink, yet. From doing reading though I heard hot/warm water does this.

i have seen some pretty cool designs for ice resurfacing tools, for backyard ponds/rinks.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I envy you so much for having a backyard ice rink. Once I graduate college and get a job, Minnesota is the first place I am moving to. They have great schools, one of the best hospitals, and its hockey crazy.
I have been looking to move farther north as well. I have really started looking heavily in the Duluth area.

Very mild summer (no warmer than 80 degrees on average), and lots of snow with pretty cold winters. Plus you can move into Nothern Wisconsin or Minnesota, and get a good deal on a house w/ some acreage.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Blueland89

I know this isn't a backyard rink and I might get made fun of for it but I had a huge metal pan that I filled with water and put in our deep freezer to make an ice surface to shoot off of (I have a shooting pad but I wanted to shoot off of ice) it layed flat but when the ice froze there was a lump in the ice. anybody know how to fix that

Last edited by Blueland89: 12-03-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Doshell Propivo

I used to play on ponds and, believe it or not, swimming pools in the winter. At least it was an inground pool so not as white trash as it sounds...

As kids we'd be there all night with buckets of hot water and rags smoothening out the cracks and bubbles so that it would be perfect for the morning.

The hot water does work (kind of), but it takes a long time and you get relatively little reward for the effort. If you can get a hose out there with hot water you'd be in business though...

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
I used to play on ponds and, believe it or not, swimming pools in the winter. At least it was an inground pool so not as white trash as it sounds...

As kids we'd be there all night with buckets of hot water and rags smoothening out the cracks and bubbles so that it would be perfect for the morning.

The hot water does work (kind of), but it takes a long time and you get relatively little reward for the effort. If you can get a hose out there with hot water you'd be in business though...
You can actually get attachments so that hoses can be fit to standard bathroom/kitchen faucets, which would make this doable if the ice surface is really close by.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
your hot-water heater should have a faucet some place close to the bottom and you can run a hose right off of that to get hot water to the rink.

You are lucky that you can skate this soon. I'm in the toronto Canada area and my Igloo melted in the spring and I still cant rebuild it.

No really we won't be skating until Jan here. if we are lucky.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Bubbles and other similar things in ice are caused by an improper freeze. Rather than freezing water from the bottom to the top, it's going from the top down and from the bottom up. So you're getting two thin layers of ice with water in the middle, and as that freezes the bubbles form.

An indoor rink uses hot water to ensure that the ice freezes from the bottom up, but an indoor rink also doesn't have to deal with sub-freezing air causing an issue. A Zamboni or Olympia also lays down a pretty thin layer of water, and during the ice building process initially, there's usually crews that have sprayers that spray a hot mist down to build up the ice.

Basically, if there's a way to build a wind break of some type around your outdoor rink and then use thin layers of hot water, you'll have good dense ice.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
pistolpete31

Thanks guys I will try some hot water out there

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
I have been looking to move farther north as well. I have really started looking heavily in the Duluth area.

Very mild summer (no warmer than 80 degrees on average), and lots of snow with pretty cold winters. Plus you can move into Nothern Wisconsin or Minnesota, and get a good deal on a house w/ some acreage.
Precisely. Really want a lot of space to make my own full sized rink if possible.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
IDuck

it has been soooooooooo cold here and i was skating on my pond since thanksgiving...though we have gotten so much snow that i havent been able to keep up with the snow...if its cold enough and a hose will reach i would just re-flood it if its small enough put if its just a few bubbles just punch a stick through the bubble and it will re-freeze itself...thats what i do but the pond i play on is about 300ft by 300ft so i can always just move to a different spot

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
it has been soooooooooo cold here and i was skating on my pond since thanksgiving...though we have gotten so much snow that i havent been able to keep up with the snow...if its cold enough and a hose will reach i would just re-flood it if its small enough put if its just a few bubbles just punch a stick through the bubble and it will re-freeze itself...thats what i do but the pond i play on is about 300ft by 300ft so i can always just move to a different spot
Where is "here"?

Old
12-03-2010, 04:34 PM
IDuck

Idaho

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
titaniumexpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
I know this isn't a backyard rink and I might get made fun of for it but I had a huge metal pan that I filled with water and put in our deep freezer to make an ice surface to shoot off of (I have a shooting pad but I wanted to shoot off of ice) it layed flat but when the ice froze there was a lump in the ice. anybody know how to fix that
Maybe try using hot water before you put it in the freezer. Ice cubes always seem to come out nicer (and freeze quicker for some reason) if you use hot water. Must be a fluid dynamics thing.

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumexpose View Post
Maybe try using hot water before you put it in the freezer. Ice cubes always seem to come out nicer (and freeze quicker for some reason) if you use hot water. Must be a fluid dynamics thing.
yeah I used steaming hot water

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote