HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

**** YEAH! What failure? (Habs kick Devils' ass, 5-1)

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Was CoolasprICE one of them? Maybe he could go start a protest at the ACC to start a rebuild for Toronto.
Yeah actually =)

CoolasprICE and Habiton

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=848416

Posts #25 and #137.

Old
12-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
No sir. Our PP is no longer mediocre. We might have cracked league's top 10 tonight, I'm not sure. It's bee on fire lately.
It's been top 10 in november for sure, considering it was rank 30 pre-november

Old
12-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Lucius

Fun note, Weber actually played 17+ minutes (which is made better by the fact he only played just over 4 in the first period).

He played more than Picard, in fact. I'd suspect Jacques Martin agrees. Hunch is he plays against San Jose and either Subban serves game two of his sit down or Picard goes out.

Medium term though, Subban has shown he's good enough to play in all situations. He makes mistakes, sure, but he doesn't have to be coddled like a lot of rookies. Him on the ice against a top line is not a death sentence.

Most teams can afford to coddle one defender, so if Weber does steal Picard's place for the foreseeable future, we have the manpower to keep both in the line-up. Weber in a shielded third pair/PP role and Subban as an everyday, every situation guy.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:02 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I guess started around Vancouver game nearly a month ago. Second to last column is our PP ratio. Around 30% during this stretch.

So going by the trend since the Philly game on Nov 16 with a win one lose one I guess the Habs will lose to SJ..

That's some very impressive penalty killing numbers in that 12 game stretch only giving up 4 PP goals in 51 times SH..

Old
12-02-2010, 10:03 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Fun note, Weber actually played 17+ minutes (which is made better by the fact he only played just over 4 in the first period).

He played more than Picard, in fact. I'd suspect Jacques Martin agrees. Hunch is he plays against San Jose and either Subban serves game two of his sit down or Picard goes out.

Medium term though, Subban has shown he's good enough to play in all situations. He makes mistakes, sure, but he doesn't have to be coddled like a lot of rookies. Him on the ice against a top line is not a death sentence.

Most teams can afford to coddle one defender, so if Weber does steal Picard's place for the foreseeable future, we have the manpower to keep both in the line-up. Weber in a shielded third pair/PP role and Subban as an everyday, every situation guy.
If Weber goes in full time, do we move Spacek back to his natural left to play with him? Leaving Subban with Hamrlik and Gill/Gorges.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

We are jacking threads here...

Agree again here.. If we went with Hamrlik-Subban and Spacek-Weber, Martin always has the option to go back to Hamrlik-Spacek later in the game when we are defending a lead and just play Weber-Subban together against the 3rd or 4th line. IF he really wants to play that match-up game.

I definitely think by spreading it out like that (Ham-Sub/Space-Web) we would move the puck a lot better 5-on-5.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Destoker

We finally have 3 offensive line, that's shady as hell. Now imagine when pluggers like Darche and Moen will be replaced by the Patches and Desharnais of this world...

Old
12-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
There is no real decision on who to sit on D for Saturday. Picard sits. No, he hasn't been bad. Not at all. But he is the 7th D, and Weber fills a more important role on the PP, so there it is. Its a real nice feeling knowing we have this much depth at D, even with Markov out.

Only way both Picard and Weber play next game is if they decide to sit Gorges. Guy looks a bit banged up, and one big strength of depth is getting to rest guys who are only playing at 80-85%.
I'd consider sitting Gorges too. He hasn't been himself lately. I think Brunet said he has an ankle injuy or something. He had a lot of "therapy days" instead of practice so I'd give him some time to heal. I mean that's what's best of having depth, you don't have to play injured guys...

I must admit I'm a little concern about Weber playing against San Jose though. They're much more bigger and physical, I think he would get exposed.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah actually =)

CoolasprICE and Habiton

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=848416

Posts #25 and #137.
you've been EXPOSED suckas

Old
12-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
If Weber goes in full time, do we move Spacek back to his natural left to play with him? Leaving Subban with Hamrlik and Gill/Gorges.
Martin's not splitting up Hamrlik and Spacek...you might see Gorges/Subban and Gill Weber, or vice versa though

Old
12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Martin's not splitting up Hamrlik and Spacek...you might see Gorges/Subban and Gill Weber, or vice versa though
Disappointing to play three separate players on their wrong side when everyone could go natural.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:16 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Good bounce back game however we still have to remember that this isn't the Devils of old. Don't want to get too high on the team after thumping a team they should.

However the younger players looked good. Eller is really starting to impress. I actually quite like Picards quiet effective game and Weber did play well, its just where do you play him right now.
Doesn't matter. This is a Devils team we lost to 3-0 in October. Make no mistake...5-1 drubbing over them feels good. Any victory is a good one.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Disappointing to play three separate players on their wrong side when everyone could go natural.
Gorges is a natural left point guy too, he moved for Gill.

Currently we have in terms of NATURAL position:

LEFT: Hamrlik, Gorges, Gill, Spacek, Picard
RIGHT: Subban, Weber.

So either Gorges or Spacek moving back to left would solve the issue.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Doesn't matter. This is a Devils team we lost to 3-0 in October. Make no mistake...5-1 drubbing over them feels good. Any victory is a good one.
A win over the Devils is almost like a early December Stanley Cup for us because they just simply do not happen often.

I'll take it and enjoy it regardless of how terrible they've been this season.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Gorges is a natural left point guy too, he moved for Gill.

Currently we have in terms of NATURAL position:

LEFT: Hamrlik, Gorges, Gill, Spacek, Picard
RIGHT: Subban, Weber.

So either Gorges or Spacek moving back to left would solve the issue.
I agree.

Gill and Subban worked well together, I think Gorges and Weber can. Only problem is if they get caught down low they will have to work their tails off. But Weber finally gets a full game at his normal position and he deserves more. Picard is average at best.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

At least we know this team is capable of winning games after a tough loss. Now we need a bit more winning consistency.

Hey, we won in NJ twice in one year.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley_5054 View Post
Those Priceless but Ellerious jokes are getting Auld.
I know I Moen everytime I hear them. I just don't Pyatt anymore.But it's nice to see a board with Boyd spirits.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Habs

We beat a farm team tonight, lets not get excited. Get motivated after we beat the top teams, then start the parade.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Jigger77

I've never been a big fan of Weber. If he starts playing like he did tonight against a real team that will change in a hurry. He was awesome tonight. But the Devils were morbidly bad.

I've watched the Devils for years and I have NEVER, EVER seen this type of sorry display from that team. What a horrible mess man. Guess that's what happens when a structured machine of a team like the Devils handcuffs itself for a decade with the modern version of Pavel Bure.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:08 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Habs 5-1 win + leaf 0-5 loss =

Old
12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
so who do ya sit?
That's a tough one, no question. But, it also sounds like Gorges is playing through an injury. With the Sharks game another quick turn around, 2 p.m. on Saturday, less than 48 hours from the end of a back-to-back, I'd rest Gorges.

Play Subban with Gill, and Weber with Picard. It would be interesting to see how the 2 kids stack up against a big Sharks team with a lot of skill.

Having said that, Gorges is the ultimate competitor. He was amazing on that 3-on-5 with Gill and Pleks, so it's a tough call, and I doubt he wants to sit. Though, it might be better for him and the team in the long run if he does.

In any case, I like the fact that Weber's play tonight has made it a tough decision for JM. The kid looked confident and at ease with himself and his game tonight.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Bill McNeal

Nice rebound win. Wish we had an easier opponent than the Sharks to follow this up with (though they have sucked at times this year) as I want them to get on a roll.

Might as well say I was wrong about Weber. He filled in admirably. Still don't agree with the scratch, but you can't argue with results. Hopefully whatever it was that led to the scratch is sorted out and PK returns better than ever because he'll be a big part of whatever success this team has this year.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:45 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Habs 5-1 win + leaf 0-5 loss =

happiness by a 9 point margin

page snipah!

Old
12-02-2010, 11:51 PM
andy28

Weber looked pretty decent out there tonight. Hard to tell though as I'm sure this was not the devils best night.

I really gotta give kudos to Hal Gill for his goaltending performance on the 5 on 3.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I've never been a big fan of Weber. If he starts playing like he did tonight against a real team that will change in a hurry. He was awesome tonight. But the Devils were morbidly bad.

I've watched the Devils for years and I have NEVER, EVER seen this type of sorry display from that team. What a horrible mess man. Guess that's what happens when a structured machine of a team like the Devils handcuffs itself for a decade with the modern version of Pavel Bure.
Why were you never a big fan of such a promising Dman?..
Had good years in the OHL. Had a terrific rookie season in the AHL. Struggled a bit during his sophomore year, but still put up a decent amount of points. Was on fire in AHL this year, arguably the best player of the team, before getting called up. Always had a great shot, good speed, nice pass and puck moving skills.

Because he didn't make such a big impression on you in all of the 11games player over the past two years here, you weren't such a big fan?..Or was it also the 2 games he played as a forward this year?..

Weber has always been one of our best prospects, I really don't understand why you weren't a fan.

Closed Thread