HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Starting 2005 Mock Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Onion Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
Does Skille have the SKILLe (bad pun I know), or is he just a big banger? I know that hockey is a contact sport and everything but it seems to me that people are getting as enamored with size in hockey as they are basketball where the "you can't teach size" cliche has produced a few busts. Give me a smaller skilled guy over a big banger any day of the weak. I wonder if some of the fascination with getting big bangers high in the first is related to men that have a bit too much testosterone and only hockey to see fights and hits, and think there's nothing more than that. Now, if it's a defenseman, that's a different story.
If you want a smaller, skilled guy who is just as tenacious if not moreso than Skille, Bergfors is your man.

Skille is a helluva player though. His only shortcoming is puckhandling which, I'll be honest, worries me a little. Other than that he is a complete player.

Old
06-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Bouchard

I've seen a lot of Latendresse, he dominates the play, definetly potential of top 2 lines.

Old
06-06-2005, 07:52 AM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchard
I've seen a lot of Latendresse, he dominates the play, definetly potential of top 2 lines.
but his consistency really showed this year, makes me kind of nervous, granted he was injured a lot. If we could trade up to 10-15 I'd take him but I don't expect him to last to 10

Old
06-06-2005, 07:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Skille is a helluva player though. His only shortcoming is puckhandling which, I'll be honest, worries me a little. Other than that he is a complete player.
I am am not as worried aobut his puckhandling skills as much. I have not pictured him lugging the puck much. Skille looks to be a natural power forward. It's not his willingness to be physicall that impresses me. It is the fact that he finishes. He may not be Kovalev when he handles the puck, but he sure knows where the puck has to go.

"Give me a smaller skilled guy over a big banger any day of the weak"

Unfortunately, the smaller skilled guys tend to get injured all the time and banged out of the league. The St. Louis', Fleurys, Yorks & Giontas of the world are few and far between.

Old
06-06-2005, 12:58 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
If you want a smaller, skilled guy who is just as tenacious if not moreso than Skille, Bergfors is your man.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against size, I just don't think that that's the be all end all. There always prospects that are big and like to bang and that's the only plus I hear and they go high in the draft. I'd rather take someone like that later and go for the potential early in the draft.

Old
06-06-2005, 01:05 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I am am not as worried aobut his puckhandling skills as much. I have not pictured him lugging the puck much. Skille looks to be a natural power forward. It's not his willingness to be physicall that impresses me. It is the fact that he finishes. He may not be Kovalev when he handles the puck, but he sure knows where the puck has to go.

"Give me a smaller skilled guy over a big banger any day of the weak"

Unfortunately, the smaller skilled guys tend to get injured all the time and banged out of the league. The St. Louis', Fleurys, Yorks & Giontas of the world are few and far between.
I don't mean little smurfs, and I don't mean that I WANT a smaller skilled guy, but I'm saying if there's a big banger that's 6'2 and there's a 6'0 guy that's more skilled but doesn't bang as much, well give me the second one in the top half of the first round. Honestly it's probably unfair since I don't know much about Skille, but a bigger Ladd doesn't impress me that much. As I said before, shoot for the moon. If you have a big skilled guy, then that's great too. I'm not against size, I just think that skill is more important that high in the draft. I also don't mean a wuss that shies away from contact just not a monster that'll be a banger at best and will never crack the first line (not saying Skille is like that since I don't know).

Closed Thread