HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doug Weight Coaching the Power Play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2010, 11:43 AM
  #26
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,051
vCash: 500
We are no longer a major league franchise. what an amateur circus we have become.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
  #27
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
At least Weight was a player in the past. Not now. Maybe they can have him retire and he can start his new "position" ASAP. People getting all upset about this? I mean at least it looks like Weight will stay with the org, like we all (well most of us) wanted for Sillinger and what Witt didnt get.
How about the start hiring people with experience?

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
  #28
Pnut
Registered User
 
Pnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: w. suckic
Country: United States
Posts: 7,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
It's not upsetting, but it's just another reminder that this organization continues to operate with no discernible structure, no discipline, no vision and no real plan. The coaching and management is so inept that the players are running the circus now. It's always a wing and a prayer with this team.
Shirley you can't be serious!

I don't see your point Richie. No discernible structure?!?!? Maybe Weight is taking a part of the one of the other coaches jobs? How wopuld that be no structure or discipline? Are you assuming that they are just making stuff up as they go along??? Maybe is that it? I think it was probably said that he would have a role in the franchise after this contract is up, maybe because of his inneffectiveness the Isles management and coaches are getting to it sooner. It is always assumed on the negative.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
As with any "position" with the Islanders, he should prepare by bringing plenty of lube...
! !

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 12:12 PM
  #29
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Maybe Weight is taking a part of the one of the other coaches jobs? How wopuld that be no structure or discipline?
Because... that's a coaches job?

I guess I just see it as another ding-dong decision like giving Guerin the C at a press conference and not telling him first, having some C-list pseudo celebrity announcing picks at the draft and now having the coaching situation so jacked up, they ask a player to coach.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:06 PM
  #30
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Because... that's a coaches job?

I guess I just see it as another ding-dong decision like giving Guerin the C at a press conference and not telling him first, having some C-list pseudo celebrity announcing picks at the draft and now having the coaching situation so jacked up, they ask a player to coach.
oh you mean the way Edmonton did with Sillinger now every young guy on the team sights him as a source of experience and wisdom.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
  #31
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,051
vCash: 500
IF Weight becomes the head coach next year, the reason for it will be because no one worth a damn wants to come and coach this minor league franchise anymore.

I've never been a negative NYI fan, but all the stupidity this year starting with the firing of Jankowski or Jaffe (whichever happened first) all the way to Doug Weight coaching the PP has made me so disenfranchised. I mean the club hasn't had a game in nearly as week, and I'm kind of dreading tomorrow.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:10 PM
  #32
ledzep1212
COYB
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
LMAO@ everyone in this thread. Weight is hurt and Capuano used him as a pp coach for practice. Christ almighty. Absolutely nothing wrong with this.


Last edited by Fugu: 01-02-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: ...
ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:29 PM
  #33
E_Godard
Registered User
 
E_Godard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Section 103
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Because... that's a coaches job?

I guess I just see it as another ding-dong decision like giving Guerin the C at a press conference and not telling him first, having some C-list pseudo celebrity announcing picks at the draft and now having the coaching situation so jacked up, they ask a player to coach.
What I dont get is how everyone seems to be ok with us signing Weight (basically in a mentoring role for the younger players), but now that he's out its an issue he does that mentoring from a minor coaching position?

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
  #34
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
oh you mean the way Edmonton did with Sillinger now every young guy on the team sights him as a source of experience and wisdom.
Except that Edmonton hired Sillinger to do player development after he retired. Edmonton doesn't have Horcoff coaching the power play.

I don't think it's a big deal, honestly. I just think it's kinda bush league.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:55 PM
  #35
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
IF Weight becomes the head coach next year, the reason for it will be because no one worth a damn wants to come and coach this minor league franchise anymore.

I've never been a negative NYI fan, but all the stupidity this year starting with the firing of Jankowski or Jaffe (whichever happened first) all the way to Doug Weight coaching the PP has made me so disenfranchised. I mean the club hasn't had a game in nearly as week, and I'm kind of dreading tomorrow.
Coaches always want to coach. NHL coaches would take this job if it was offered to them. Now in regards to paying them a respectable salary that is where our issue is. Also, anyone who speaks the truth about this team is fired so that is the second issue with hiring a real coach who will tell it how it is to a back up goalie and communist owner

With this franchise anything that is unbelievable could be true. We are talking about a circus with regards to the management and ownership.

If someone said Kevin Connoly was becoming a part time scout for NYI, I would have to look into it just to make sure

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
  #36
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillAnIslesFan View Post
Honestly, I can't stand using forward on the point on the PP, ever.
Never liked it when it started (I think Ivan Hlinka started doing it as coach of the Pens, and it caught on, I may be wrong, but it was when I first recall seeing it)

Only D-men should be PP quarterbacks, period!
Seems to work well for Stamkos, OV, Richards, Buff(tech a D tho...), Kovy ect... if you have the personell, it works well. When a Dman takes a slapper or One-timer, their only objective is to get the puck on net. On the PP, you need more than that. You need to be able to place it.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 02:29 PM
  #37
BlackDog13
Registered User
 
BlackDog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
What I dont get is how everyone seems to be ok with us signing Weight (basically in a mentoring role for the younger players), but now that he's out its an issue he does that mentoring from a minor coaching position?
I wasn't okay with it!!!!!

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:13 PM
  #38
the sweetener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
i think theyre only having weight out there for this because his time in the press box lately gives him a view from above. he sees clear as day that guys are standing around and not moving their feet.

its probably better to have weight out there saying it to them than having the guys sit around and watch tape of themselves standing around and not moving.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
  #39
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
I wasn't okay with it!!!!!
nor was I. I was very much against resigning Weight and so were a lot of other people.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
  #40
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post
i think theyre only having weight out there for this because his time in the press box lately gives him a view from above. he sees clear as day that guys are standing around and not moving their feet.

its probably better to have weight out there saying it to them than having the guys sit around and watch tape of themselves standing around and not moving.
then stick an assistant coach up in the press box for a game or two. IIRC Lorne Henning used to sit up there during games when he was an assistant.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
  #41
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Shirley you can't be serious!

I don't see your point Richie. No discernible structure?!?!? Maybe Weight is taking a part of the one of the other coaches jobs? How wopuld that be no structure or discipline? Are you assuming that they are just making stuff up as they go along??? Maybe is that it? I think it was probably said that he would have a role in the franchise after this contract is up, maybe because of his inneffectiveness the Isles management and coaches are getting to it sooner. It is always assumed on the negative.
Seriously Pnut, this team is a mess from top to bottom. Stop defending this wreck.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:57 PM
  #42
Isles75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Well to help speed things along for Doug Weight, I have attached the following link. I hope it helps

http://www.ehow.com/how_2047825_coach-nhl-team.html

Being an Islanders fan over the years has become a constant battle of why do I bother. I have had to take a lot of jabs from my Ranger fan friends over the years and I have no come backs any more because their right. This team is a joke.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.