HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

question run up the flag pole...

Old
12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
Oilers bring Souray up from the minors.
Islanders claim him and immediately trade him to the Bruins for a 3rd round pick
Bruins send Ferrance to us for some minor league player

Islander get a free draft pick for doing very little = win
Oilers out a few million for two years and get Ference = win
Bruins get Souray at a significant discount for Ference and a draft pick = win
Or the Oilers recall him in the offseason and don't pay any of his salary and get a return of Ference in the offseason. Win. This deal is creative. But it stops there.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

guys in the minor leagues can be dealt... and that is what souray is. getting him back to the NHL this year is impossible unless you waive him.

so all i am really proposing is dealing 2 guys boston cant really afford for a guy that is currently in the minor leagues and may not play a single game for the B's this year.

if some miricle happens and he does play for Boston this year, then its bonus. Now, in the next off season, Boston would either deal souray or make room to use him for next year.

im unsure if Souray could come up for playoffs without having to go through reentery... i doubt it... so to be honest i wouldnt really expect him to play at all unless some trick is done like asking the islanders to claim him and giving them and edmonton some extra compensation to get edmonton to agree to pay half the salary and get the islanders to cooperate

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Not exactly. It won't happen but they can trade him without re-calling him. It just means that the other team takes the onus of paying half of his salary for the next season and a half as well as losing an asset in the trade. Makes a ton of sense. This whole proposal makes no sense because of this clause. Oil won't take the risk, nevermind someone else.

Since the OP didn't acknowledge this. Sure you can have his rights for that package...

There will be bidders on the draft floor or at some other stage in the offseason. There is no doubt in my mind. We had a salary for salary offer in the offseason last year. It only gets sweeter next year.
I will take back what I said and agree with you that there is a theoretical possibilty that another team does trade for Souray but leaves him in the minors. They would then be able to have him next year without the waiver issue. Its so unlikley that any team does this though that I dismissed it relative to the current proposal.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:50 AM
rockinghockey

Souray has to go through waivers so there is no way that he in playing in the NHL this year. He will be traded in the off season if anyone is interested at that point.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
we get something for Souray--lets go

one problem

My understanding is that for the oilers to trade Souray's rights this year--the oiler would need to recall him and I do not see him making it through recall waivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
Souray needs to clear re-entry before he can be traded... chances are, he won't
You don't have to re-call Souray to trade him. AHL players are traded all the time and they never have to report to the NHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
guys in the minor leagues can be dealt... and that is what souray is. getting him back to the NHL this year is impossible unless you waive him.

so all i am really proposing is dealing 2 guys boston cant really afford for a guy that is currently in the minor leagues and may not play a single game for the B's this year.

if some miricle happens and he does play for Boston this year, then its bonus. Now, in the next off season, Boston would either deal souray or make room to use him for next year.

im unsure if Souray could come up for playoffs without having to go through reentery... i doubt it... so to be honest i wouldnt really expect him to play at all unless some trick is done like asking the islanders to claim him and giving them and edmonton some extra compensation to get edmonton to agree to pay half the salary and get the islanders to cooperate
The Bruins would have to put him through re-entry to call him up while there season is still going.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Lock this or delete. It makes no sense nor does it have any possibility of ever taking place.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote