HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#26: Bruins @ Flyers - Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
OK, but does hockey 101 consider how to play with 2 min left, 2 goals down?
Yes.

Quote:
Didn't work this time -- a big deal. Giroux's awfull pass lost the previous game -- not a lot of people complained about that.
Interesting story given that they lost the last two games in shootouts (which I don't really consider a "loss").

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Interesting story given that they lost the last two games in shootouts (which I don't really consider a "loss").
Giroux's pass to Zherdev at about 10 feet behind created a turnover leading to the first goal. OK, it lost a point.

Zherdev's turnover yesturday didn't loose anything.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Giroux's pass to Zherdev at about 10 feet behind created a turnover leading to the first goal. OK, it lost a point.

I would blame that goal more on Carle getting beat at the line.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
vera1964

Quote:
I would blame that goal more on Carle getting beat at the line.
Isn't it hockey 101 not to pass behind? Isn't it 101 of any sport?

Anyway, Giroux is an excelent player. My point is not to blaim him. My point is -- you already forgot about this.

Imagine something like this done by Zherdev.

Old
12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

it didnt loosen anything, but it tightened Zherdev's spot as the 12th/13th forward for this team

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Flyerfan808

I honestly believe Zherdev does not know where he is supposed to be or what he is supposed to be doing 90% of the time. I think that Laviolette needs to hire a midget to follow him around during practice and punch him in the balls every time he is out of position or not doing what he is supposed to.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I honestly believe Zherdev does not know where he is supposed to be or what he is supposed to be doing 90% of the time.
Absolutely. Isn't that amazing that in the remaining 10% he somehow manages to be the team's leading ESG scorer?

Last edited by vera1964: 12-02-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old
12-02-2010, 09:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Absolutely. Isn't that amazing that in the remaining 10% he somehow manages to be the team's leading ESG scorer?
Yep but hurts the team in the other areas, hense why teams didnt go after him a year or 2 ago, and this past summer the Flyers were really the only team that looked at him. He was known to be lazy and terrible defensively before, and he still is. Other then his dangles and scoring here and there, he does nothing else.

(oh and he is tied with Briere and Carter in most ES goals)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep but hurts the team in the other areas, hense why teams didnt go after him a year or 2 ago, and this past summer the Flyers were really the only team that looked at him. He was known to be lazy and terrible defensively before, and he still is. Other then his dangles and scoring here and there, he does nothing else.
1) His ESGA is one of the best on the team, so apparently he doesn't hurt much;

2) Rangers were ready to pay him 3.25 mln a year ago; after he didn't take it there weren't any team with enough cap space (his arbitration was the last one);

3) You don't know how many teams besides Flyers offerred him anything;

4) I don't really understand what scoring "here and there" means. Are you implying that his goals somehow less useful than Carter's goals or Richard's goals?

And most importantly:

5) There is nothing wrong with seeing beautiful hockey once in a while. Just relax and enjoy.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

2) Rangers were ready to pay him 3.25 mln a year ago; after he didn't take it there weren't any team with enough cap space (his arbitration was the last one);

4) I don't really understand what scoring "here and there" means. Are you implying that his goals somehow less useful than Carter's goals or Richard's goals?

And most importantly:

5) There is nothing wrong with seeing beautiful hockey once in a while. Just relax and enjoy.
He was in the KHL last year, there were no reports of other teams going hard after him, and he only signed for 2 mil. Obviously there wasn't much interest in him if he was playing in the KHL and no one was offering more then 2 mil for him.

I also don't see how Zherdev's play with us qualifies as "beautiful hockey".

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:21 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

And most importantly:

I don't find it beautiful, just irritating. He is all sizzle and no steak. A cheaper version of Kovalchuk.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

And most importantly:

Yeah... lazy play and turnovers and poor defensive play sure is beautiful to watch

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't find it beautiful, just irritating. He is all sizzle and no steak.
Actually I find this board quite irritating. Al cliches and ignoring the facts.

Good night.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

Good night.
I think you've been presented with plenty of facts but you're his one person fan club. The guy just doesn't understand many aspects of the game. He'd be better suited in a sport like tennis or golf where he didn't have to gel with anyone.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Good night.
You present a convincing argument.

I'm starting to have flashbacks of Wolfy here.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

And most importantly:

1) No one is going to deny his offensive talent. But no one can also deny that he can be a lazy player at times, especially on the defensive side of the puck.

2: That is completely false. The Rangers took him to arbitration and when he was awarded the 3.25 million the Rangers walked away. So he was a UFA. He didnt get anything close to that kind of offer so he took his greedy ass to the KHL.

3) No we dont. But its pretty safe to say no one else offered him anything close to what the Flyers offered. If they did he would be elsewhere.

4) i dont have the time to look up when he scored the goals. But if hes scoring goals to pad the lead, say from 4 to 5 to 1, no I dont consiter those important goals.

5) I enjoy good hockey. Unfortunately I dont see it from Zherdev as often as we should. Hence the reason hes been healthy scratched and maybe headed there again.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

And most importantly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
1) No one is going to deny his offensive talent. But no one can also deny that he can be a lazy player at times, especially on the defensive side of the puck.

2: That is completely false. The Rangers took him to arbitration and when he was awarded the 3.25 million the Rangers walked away. So he was a UFA. He didnt get anything close to that kind of offer so he took his greedy ass to the KHL.

3) No we dont. But its pretty safe to say no one else offered him anything close to what the Flyers offered. If they did he would be elsewhere.

4) i dont have the time to look up when he scored the goals. But if hes scoring goals to pad the lead, say from 4 to 5 to 1, no I dont consiter those important goals.

5) I enjoy good hockey. Unfortunately I dont see it from Zherdev as often as we should. Hence the reason hes been healthy scratched and maybe headed there again.
Zherdev has a decent GAON stat but it's far from the best on the team.

However, he is on pace for 25-30 goals and that's well worth 2M per year. If he didn't have any defensive lapses he'd be a 4-5M a year player and occasional all-star.

That being said, if he wasn't on the Flyers he'd have racked up more points by now. It's just that this team is gifted at ES offense and there are more defensively responsible players to take up some of his ice time.

Unfortunately, our PP has been horrific by Flyers standards and that's the reason for most of these types of arguments. If our PP was as good as the last few years we'd easily have the best record in the NHL.

Finally, if Bob stays solid and our PP improves then we have got to be the favorites in the playoffs.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 01:51 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Zherdev plays like he is all alone imo, always tries to do too much himself.

The dude only has one assist.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Yes.

Complete Bias present here. Jester you are getting a bit too much like this recently. Giroux's pass essentially lost us a point in the standings. Zherdevs pass lost us a goal on a game that was already lost.

Typical flyer fans hating russians again. If you don't play a blue collar game, you don't have a place in the flyers team

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:28 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
LMAO are you joking, Markov remains a huge favorite on this board.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:41 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I wouldnt mind trying Richards back on the point again.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:07 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

1) If you put it like this, I will have to agree with you. Yes, he can be a lazy player. But he is improving in this regard because of the pressure from Laviolette. I don't believe many people agree that he's been lazy with the Flyers. He is working his butt off.

2) Zherdev was offered an extension by the Rangers at 3.25 mln for one year. He opted for arbitration, where he was awarded 3.9 mln. The Rangers let him walk, and by then it was too late. Of course his slump with Tortorella didn't help either.

3) What if he just wanted to play for a contender? Or to challenge himself?

4) All of his goals except the one in the 8-2 game were scored when the score was either even or one goal difference. He also gave the Flyers lead in the latest shootout, which they successfully blew.

5) In his latest interview Laviolette said Zherdev's play had improved, but that he has taken a step back in the game with Boston. As has the rest of the team. There was absolutely no indication he was going to be scratched again any time soon. Quite the opposite, his TOI went up to 15 min in the last game. In fact the very fact that he was on ice at that moment shows that Laviolette is starting to trust him more.

If it wasn't for that play at the end of the game (which I still have no problem with), we would not be discussing the issue right now.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
3) What if he just wanted to play for a contender? Or to challenge himself?
Really dude? He was playing in the KHL (which doesn't happen unless there's no market for you and/or the player's greedy), there were no reports of anyone going after him harder then the Flyers did, and he only signed a one year, two mil deal.

Just put fricking two and two together. No one went hard after him and it's extremely likely that the Flyers put together the best offer. A player like Zherdev doesn't sign a one year deal for 2 mil unless there's nothing better out on the market.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:54 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
A player like Zherdev
Like you've been inside his brain.

Listen, I got your opinion on the subject. I don't believe you can offer anything interesting on the topic. All you know is cliches that you obtain on the Internet from people as knowledgeble as you are.

Lazy floater, defensive liability, all skill but no heart, all flash and no substance...

blah, blah, blah...

Old
12-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Like you'v been inside his brain.

Listen, I got your opinion on the subject. I don't believe you can offer anything interesting on the topic. All you know is cliches that you obtain on the Internet from people as knowledgeble as you are.

Lazy floater, defensive liability, all skill but no heart, all flash and no substance...

blah, blah, blah...
Wow. All I've posted about in regards to you or Zherdev is that it's ridiculous to think that there were better offers then the one Philly offered. I don't see how that's a cliche or fits anything you just said. In fact, I haven't criticized Zherdev all that much really.

So now you're just literally talking out of your ass. Also, way to disregard my entire post and focus on a few words to attack me personally. Way to go champ. You're like the new Wolfie.

I also don't see how you're obviously a fanboy that's alone in your opinion means that the opinions of everyone else is simply a cliche. Turning aside legitimate criticisms by calling them cliches is just a way for you to ignore facts really.

You're right though. Zherdev is good defensively and there's definitely no reason why he's had trouble even sticking in the NHL during his career. I'm sure Laviolette benched him for no reason.

Have fun in la-la land.