HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Backward skating improvement?

Old
12-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Stick To Your Guns

vCash: 500
Backward skating improvement?

Hey so I recently started playing again, and I've started to play defense more because you get more ice time. Just wondering if there's any tips on skating backwards more efficiently. I'm decent at it, and my forward speed is above average, but I still do the whole take 2 steps forward then turn and skate backwards doing crossovers to gain speed, but I can't get that much speed. Any tips? or do I just have to practice more?

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Fleuryoutside29

I would start with fundamentals, just like you did when you were skating at a young age. Just like you do forward C cuts, do backwards cuts. Get away from the backwards crossovers to gain speed, because you need to work from the bottom up.

1. Start from a standstill and purely to backwards c cuts. This may seem stupid, but it will build your fundamental backward skating. You'll see an improvement in your speed.
2. Gradually begin working it into faster paced situations, then you can mix the c cuts to maintain speed after doing the crossovers.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryoutside29 View Post
I would start with fundamentals, just like you did when you were skating at a young age. Just like you do forward C cuts, do backwards cuts. Get away from the backwards crossovers to gain speed, because you need to work from the bottom up.

1. Start from a standstill and purely to backwards c cuts. This may seem stupid, but it will build your fundamental backward skating. You'll see an improvement in your speed.
2. Gradually begin working it into faster paced situations, then you can mix the c cuts to maintain speed after doing the crossovers.
I agree that you need to build the C-Cut strength but I hardly see anyone start skating backwards from a standstill doing C-Cuts. The C-Cut isn't the best way to gain speed but it is good for keeping your balance and centre of gravity low. I would work on the crossover start and then use the C-Cut to maintain your speed.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Right now I don't get to skate often so when I do, I usually go out and warm up checking all of my techiques, especially my skating backwards. If I get extra time before others hit the ice I like to do the following to practice:

1. Skate forwards, hit a point, stop and start directly into quick steps backwards into cross overs- I focus on the explosive steps to get moving so that I don't have to turn. I find this to be a good workout. Just go forward, hit a line, stop, cross your steps over backwards and turn it into backwards cross overs.

2. Circles backwards- just like when you were a kid. Hit the circles practice your cross over extensions on each side.

3. Exaggerated crossovers- go backwards, set points to your left and right- center face off and zone face off dots for instance- and try to do 2-3 cross overs to hit one then 2-3 back to the other, covering as much ground as you can.

4. C cuts- hit the blue line going forward, turn, c cuts all the way down to the far end faceoff dot- dont take your feet off the ice, then turn, cross overs around the net, hit the blue line going the other way and do it again.

IMO, it's all about 1. making it a natural motion and 2. making yourself explosive backwards. The more speed and space you can cover going backwards the more effective you are (usually). Practice those moves in your free time and it should help.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Badger36

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Ani simov mal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN6lKpmQwDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp-V8ARCrds

Watch these two videos. The videos posted on top aren't too good.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Stick To Your Guns

hey thanks a lot boys!

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote