HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#26: Bruins @ Flyers - Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-03-2010, 10:17 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
He seems to be the type of player who is not self-motivated. He will require benchings in order to respond and someone like that is really high maintenance. It must be frustrating for Lavi to have to deal with that.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
vera1964

OK, entire post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Really dude? He was playing in the KHL (which doesn't happen unless there's no market for you and/or the player's greedy)
Really? I explained before why he was playing in KHL. This is a combination of things. And yes, part of it was that he wanted money that he believed was granted by his play in regular season (where he was a leading point scorer). Does it qualify like "greedy"? Probably not, considering the arbitration awarded him 3.9mln.

Quote:
there were no reports of anyone going after him harder then the Flyers did, and he only signed a one year, two mil deal. Just put fricking two and two together. No one went hard after him and it's extremely likely that the Flyers put together the best offer.
Maybe. Maybe not. His agent said there were offers, and there were a few rummors, but I honestly don't know. Apparently you do.

Quote:
A player like Zherdev doesn't sign a one year deal for 2 mil unless there's nothing better out on the market.
Again, you are the expert. You know everything about Zherdev and what kind of player he is.

I have nothing to add.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Garbage Goal

Oh, so now you're gonna actually reply to my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
Really? I explained before why he was playing in KHL. This is a combination of things. And yes, part of it was that he wanted money that he believed was granted by his play in regular season (where he was a leading point scorer). Does it qualify like "greedy"? Probably not, considering the arbitration awarded him 3.9mln.
...So I was right? I said that players almost always don't go to the KHL unless they're not wanted and/or greedy (another way of saying that they want more money then anyone is willing to give them). He wanted more money then anyone was willing to give so he went to the KHL.

I don't see what bringing up his arbitration number says about anything. Arbitrators aren't exactly infallible. Clarke MacArthur got awarded 2.4 mil this past off-season in arbitration and he ended up signing for less then half that at 1.1 mil.

If any team thought Zherdev was worth going after and signing at 3.9 mil then a team would have done so.

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. His agent said there were offers, and there were a few rummors, but I honestly don't know. Apparently you do.
Never said I know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he received lesser offers or relatively equal offers, but common sense dictates that there's no way anyone gave him an offer that was substantially better then what the Flyers gave him. If Zherdev was offered something better then 2 mil for one year, which is pittance in today's NHL, then he would have taken it. Players value money just as much as we do and that's proven every off-season.

Quote:
Again, you are the expert. You know everything about Zherdev and what kind of player he is.
Again, you're stuffing words in my mouth. never said I know everything about Zherdev. However, it's common sense that he didn't get an offer that was substantially better then ours.

How much guaranteed money a player makes is a player's number one priority 90% of the time.

Quote:
I have nothing to add.
Obviously.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He seems to be the type of player who is not self-motivated. He will require benchings in order to respond and someone like that is really high maintenance. It must be frustrating for Lavi to have to deal with that.
He is extremely well motivated this year.

His effort and goal production is much higher than when he was with Rangers. Considering TOI he gets, he is producing like an elite goal scorer at this point.

His main problem is that he doesn't really fit with the Flyers style of hockey, and he is struggeling to adjust.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Complete Bias present here. Jester you are getting a bit too much like this recently. Giroux's pass essentially lost us a point in the standings. Zherdevs pass lost us a goal on a game that was already lost.

Typical flyer fans hating russians again. If you don't play a blue collar game, you don't have a place in the flyers team
Yea Markov was a complete fraud and Bobrovsky should just take his Russian ass back to KHL

Except for maybe 4 people, we all (including Lavy it seems) see the same play out of Zherdev, the little dangles and losing the puck. Cruising around in not only the defensive zone but also the offense zone. Sorry if Flyers fanbase, base alot of how they feel on how hard players work for the team.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:40 AM
CptCannon

Everyone knew what Zherdev's all about. He's being himself right now and everyone's complaining about him.

Everyone knew what Zherdev's all about!!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea Markov was a complete fraud and Bobrovsky should just take his Russian ass back to KHL

Except for maybe 4 people, we all (including Lavy it seems) see the same play out of Zherdev, the little dangles and losing the puck. Cruising around in not only the defensive zone but also the offense zone. Sorry if Flyers fanbase, base alot of how they feel on how hard players work for the team.
Well, he had the same rep in Columbus and NY so it's kind of foolish to believe he'll suddenly turn it around.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Everyone knew what Zherdev's all about. He's being himself right now and everyone's complaining about him.

Everyone knew what Zherdev's all about!!
I'm fine with Zherdev as a secondary scorer for our team. If our GM is so intent on three scoring lines then we need a guy like Zherdev anyways.

I can definitely see why he didn't have many fans in NY despite leading the team in points though. Kind of frustrating to see a player with all his skill-sets and potential underachieve so much.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:43 AM
vera1964

Quote:
How much guaranteed money a player makes is a player's number one priority 90% of the time.
If you apply "common sense", as you previously suggested, Zherdev's priority number one is to have a good season. If he does, he can easily make up for lost money later. A good season means a few things, but one of them is to break the steriotype that he is bad at playoffs.

So if he decided to make a comeback (which he sait he would do immediately after signing with KHL), a team like Flyers would be an obvious choice.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
If you apply "common sense", as you previously suggested, Zherdev's priority number one is to have a good season. If he does, he can easily make up for lost money later. A good season means a few things, but one of them is to break the steriotype that he is bad at playoffs.

So if he decided to make a comeback (which he sait he would do immediately after signing with KHL), a team like Flyers would be an obvious choice.
He obviously also is looking to have a good season, otherwise he wouldn't have taken so little on a one year deal.

He doesn't have to be on the Flyers to have a good season though. In fact, it probably hurts his chances at having a good season since he has so many other forwards to compete with and a coach that demands effort and two-way play. So I'm not sure what your point is here.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Complete Bias present here. Jester you are getting a bit too much like this recently. Giroux's pass essentially lost us a point in the standings. Zherdevs pass lost us a goal on a game that was already lost.

Typical flyer fans hating russians again. If you don't play a blue collar game, you don't have a place in the flyers team
Yes, the guy that supposedly HATES Giroux has "complete bias" present in defending him.

Go watch that goal again. Giroux messed up a pass on an organized breakout putting it behind Zherdev. The puck went all the way out to the red line, and the Devils came back in and Carle got OWNED at the blue line with the play coming at him. Even then, the defense closed off the angle and it took poor positioning by Boucher and a perfect shot by Mair for a goal to be scored there.

Physical errors are going to happen... no matter what. Turnovers are going to happen even with perfect decision making.

Mental errors can be avoided by making smart decisions.

In short, your entire post... similar to vera's defense of Z is ridiculous.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
McNasty

Zherdev is one of the whipping boys, theres no two ways about it. People look at Zherdev and want Gagne. It was absolutely a bad play, and like I've said before the team as a whole was very careless with the puck at both bluelines and they have been for several games now. Zherdev's is in the spot light because it directly lead to a goal.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Zherdev is one of the whipping boys, theres no two ways about it. People look at Zherdev and want Gagne. It was absolutely a bad play, and like I've said before the team as a whole was very careless with the puck at both bluelines and they have been for several games now. Zherdev's is in the spot light because it directly lead to a goal.
Zherdev is in the spotlight because Vera is defending a dumb play as if it was some moment of genius and if only the rest of the team had been on the same page as him it would have worked out brilliantly.

It is what it is, but he probably shouldn't be out there with an EN behind him if those are the type of plays he's going to make.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
vera1964

Quote:
He obviously also is looking to have a good season, otherwise he wouldn't have taken so little on a one year deal.

He doesn't have to be on the Flyers to have a good season though. In fact, it probably hurts his chances at having a good season since he has so many other forwards to compete with and a coach that demands effort and two-way play. So I'm not sure what your point is here.
My point is that the definition of "good season" includes not only points, but also learning something, breaking stereotypes, and possibly winning the cup.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
(snip) ...he probably shouldn't be out there with an EN behind him if those are the type of plays he's going to make.
Ding, ding, ding!

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
My point is that the definition of "good season" includes not only points, but also learning something, breaking stereotypes, and possibly winning the cup.
So...you're saying that it's possible Zherdev took a worse deal(s) to...break stereotypes. Alrighty then.

Can't really say anything to that.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
So...you're saying that it's possible Zherdev took a worse deal(s) to...break stereotypes. Alrighty then.

Can't really say anything to that.
Well, "breaking stereotypes" could mean driving around until he found a minority doing something stereotypical and then throwing a rock at said minority.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:59 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Zherdev is in the spotlight because Vera is defending a dumb play as if it was some moment of genius and if only the rest of the team had been on the same page as him it would have worked out brilliantly.
I never said anything like this. All I said was that it was worth trying. It didn't work not because the drop pass was not expected, but because the 3rd defender was too close.

Old
12-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
I never said anything like this. All I said was that it was worth trying. It didn't work not because the drop pass was not expected, but because the 3rd defender was too close.
The Boston player... or the Flyers player? Because if the Boston player was too close... then it was dumb. The Flyers players were crashing the zone because they expected him to get the puck deep (which is what you're supposed to do).

Old
12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
vera1964

Quote:
The Boston player... or the Flyers player? Because if the Boston player was too close... then it was dumb. The Flyers players were crashing the zone because they expected him to get the puck deep (which is what you're supposed to do).
The Boston player.

I got it, I got it... You are supposed to get the puck deep... I got it now!

Thanks.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Like you've been inside his brain.

Listen, I got your opinion on the subject. I don't believe you can offer anything interesting on the topic. All you know is cliches that you obtain on the Internet from people as knowledgeble as you are.

Lazy floater, defensive liability, all skill but no heart, all flash and no substance...

blah, blah, blah...
You post in another forum don't you?? Are you his girlfriend whom he met in Russia?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
It did not work because the defense had collapsed on the puck carrier, which means his objective should be to get the puck deep not make the fancy play between the legs for a drop(hospital) pass to the trailer.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
You post in another forum don't you??
I do a number of stupid things. I will stop soon.

Quote:
Are you his girlfriend whom he met in Russia?
I am not. But what about you? Is all this criticizm intended to hide your affection towards him?

Old
12-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I do a number of stupid things. I will stop soon.

I am not. But what about you? Is all this criticizm intended to hide your affection towards him?
Nope, just think it is funny that you would go from place to place and defend this guy for most see as a transparent issue.

Old
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Nope, just think it is funny that you would go from place to place and defend this guy for most see as a transparent issue.
Well, I just think he is one of the most talented players in the league, but he obviously has his problems that dont let him break through. So I am interested to see if he is ever able to do this, and if anybody is ever able to utilize his potential.

As far as defending him from the proponents of "blue collar hockey", you are right, this is a stupid thing to do.