HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs interview 50 players at NHL Combine

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Rand

vCash: 500
Leafs interview 50 players at NHL Combine

Crosby at NHL Combine

Barry Trapp, the Toronto Maple Leafs director of amateur scouting, said his club had interviewed about 50 players, including Crosby.

Not that it really means much, Crosby is going first overall regardless of whether the team that gets the pick bothers interviewing him or not... merely small adding evidence Toronto is interested.

Read into it what you will, but I found it mildly interesting that the Leafs interviewed 50 players whereas Clgary only interviewed 30. Whether that's good/bad, simply an indication of how much the teams consider the players character when drafting or means absolutely nothing at all is debateable.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:25 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
. . .
Read into it what you will, but I found it mildly interesting that the Leafs interviewed 50 players whereas Clgary only interviewed 30. Whether that's good/bad, simply an indication of how much the teams consider the players character when drafting or means absolutely nothing at all is debateable.
Where did I read recently that the Leafs put a lot of stock in interviews? Probably on these boards.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:45 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Crosby at NHL Combine

Barry Trapp, the Toronto Maple Leafs director of amateur scouting, said his club had interviewed about 50 players, including Crosby.

Not that it really means much, Crosby is going first overall regardless of whether the team that gets the pick bothers interviewing him or not... merely small adding evidence Toronto is interested.

I'm sure every team is interested in crosby, especially considering his uncertain status.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Where did I read recently that the Leafs put a lot of stock in interviews? Probably on these boards.
You've said it yourself many times ..

No that is from the Leafs TV special AFTER THE DRAFT.. They showed the leafs interviewing the various Leaf hopefully and they commented numerous times that Trapp feels character is important .. Trapp even then answered that Pat O' Sullivan who is suppose to have a cloudy past, did well in the interview and Trapp said he would have no problem drafting him ..

Old
06-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Mike1

Nobody knows right now were they are going to be picking so it makes sense to interview alot of prospects.

Old
06-04-2005, 08:58 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
You've said it yourself many times ..
I thought it was from someone intelligent.

Quote:
No that is from the Leafs TV special AFTER THE DRAFT.. They showed the leafs interviewing the various Leaf hopefully and they commented numerous times that Trapp feels character is important .. Trapp even then answered that Pat O' Sullivan who is suppose to have a cloudy past, did well in the interview and Trapp said he would have no problem drafting him ..
It would be fun to be watching a draft again. I'm bummed that we have no 2nd and 4th round picks. I know nothing about this year's draft, because I was too depressed about the looming lockout to take an interest. I have heard about some fella named Sidney, though.

Old
06-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I thought it was from someone intelligent.

It would be fun to be watching a draft again. I'm bummed that we have no 2nd and 4th round picks. I know nothing about this year's draft, because I was too depressed about the looming lockout to take an interest. I have heard about some fella named Sidney, though.
And with the trading of the first again a possibilty should it not be #1 overall to build a team next season, then you got to scout a lot of players with only 1 pick in the TOP 90 .. So Leafs really have to make it count .

Marty Biron in Buffalo is on the available list and the cost a 1st from someone . So as in the other thread should Leafs go the other direction with Eddie then this is a possibility ..

Last edited by Mess: 06-04-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old
06-04-2005, 09:57 PM
timlap

Quote:
And with the trading of the first again a possibilty should it not be #1 overall to build a team next season, then you got to scout a lot of players with only 1 pick in the TOP 90 .. So Leafs really have to make it count .
Strangely, I am quite pleased a year later with our choices in 2004, even though we had no 1st OR 2nd.

90 G Justin Pogge
113 F Roman Kukumberg
157 D Dmitry Vorobiev
187 L Robbie Earl
220 D Maxim Semenov
252 C Jan Steber
285 R Pierce Norton
(*from http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr000038.html)

The first four are promising, considering where they were picked. The jury is out on Semenov and Norton. Steber doesn't look like a good prospect, but still that's decent considering our limited picks.

So for now, at least, I am willing to believe that the Leafs are making it count.

Quote:
Marty Biron in Buffalo is on the available list and the cost a 1st from someone . So as in the other thread should Leafs go the other direction with Eddie then this is a possibility ..
If we trade our first round pick for the 3rd year in a row I will officially be perturbed. I will come on these boards and write some strongly worded cautions. I mean it!

(Unless we get Sidney back in the deal.)

Old
06-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
The first four are promising, considering where they were picked. The jury is out on Semenov and Norton. Steber doesn't look like a good prospect, but still that's decent considering our limited picks.
Did you know this ??

Men's Hockey Adds Eight Players

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Providence College men's hockey coach Paul Pooley announced on Thursday, May 12 that eight student athletes will attend Providence College, beginning in 2005-06. The eight players include Pierce Norton (South Boston, Mass.).

Norton played for Thayer Academy of the NEPSIHA. He is a 6-foot-2 inch, 200-pound forward, who was drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. As an assistant captain for Thayer Academy this past season, Norton played in 29 games and posted 50 points and led the NEPSIHA in goals scored (30). He was named to the All-NEPSIHA East First Team. Norton also was named Hockey Night In Boston Best Pro Prospect in 2003 and 2004.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...051205aae.html

Old
06-04-2005, 11:10 PM
timlap

Quote:
Did you know this ??

Men's Hockey Adds Eight Players

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Providence College men's hockey coach Paul Pooley announced on Thursday, May 12 that eight student athletes will attend Providence College, beginning in 2005-06. The eight players include Pierce Norton (South Boston, Mass.).

Norton played for Thayer Academy of the NEPSIHA. He is a 6-foot-2 inch, 200-pound forward, who was drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. As an assistant captain for Thayer Academy this past season, Norton played in 29 games and posted 50 points and led the NEPSIHA in goals scored (30). He was named to the All-NEPSIHA East First Team. Norton also was named Hockey Night In Boston Best Pro Prospect in 2003 and 2004.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...051205aae.html

I'd heard that he was going to university next year, but hadn't heard much else. Thanks, it was nice to get the details regarding his past season.

Hopefully he turns out well. With high school players there's just no telling (with our limited access to info) how they will do in the NCAA.

I will watch Providence with interest.

Old
06-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Rand

I like Kukumberg, but picking him as high as we did was insane IMHO. I wouldn't have bothered looking at him before the 6-7th round.
Vorobiev I tend to feel gets WAY too much credit around here, personally I see him making it as a #5-6 guy... not bad given where he was chosen though.
Earl for all my misgivings about his comments at the draft and my generally low opinion of the NCAA looks fantastic thus far.

Old
06-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
The jury is out on Semenov
Guys on the Russian board say he's good. One said we got a real steal getting both Vorobiev and Semenov that late.

Quote:
If we trade our first round pick for the 3rd year in a row I will officially be perturbed. I will come on these boards and write some strongly worded cautions. I mean it!
They probably won't trade it unless it's to move up.

Old
06-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I like Kukumberg, but picking him as high as we did was insane IMHO. I wouldn't have bothered looking at him before the 6-7th round.
Vorobiev I tend to feel gets WAY too much credit around here, personally I see him making it as a #5-6 guy... not bad given where he was chosen though.
Earl for all my misgivings about his comments at the draft and my generally low opinion of the NCAA looks fantastic thus far.
I agree with the Kukumberg comment ..

In fact if you make a Kukumberg pick late in the draft on a 22-24 year old Euro forgotten player then the likelihood that you get something out of the late rounds of the draft is increased greatly .. The early part particularly if you have traded your 1st two years in a row and are missing your 2nd as well, needs to be better.

However I forgive the Leafs on this one because I do like Vorobiev and Earl picks and so for intensive purposes you could switch it around and making the other kids selected first (where CSB) had them rated .. Bottom line they got them anyways but is was a risky strategy ..

Old
06-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
I agree with the Kukumberg comment ..

In fact if you make a Kukumberg pick late in the draft on a 22-24 year old Euro forgotten player then the likelihood that you get something out of the late rounds of the draft is increased greatly .. The early part particularly if you have traded your 1st two years in a row and are missing your 2nd as well, needs to be better.

However I forgive the Leafs on this one because I do like Vorobiev and Earl picks and so for intensive purposes you could switch it around and making the other kids selected first (where CSB) had them rated .. Bottom line they got them anyways but is was a risky strategy ..
The thing with a guy like Kukumberg is that if you want him, you've got to draft him where you think you can get him. Having him drafted as high as he was shows that the Leafs obviously felt someone else was waiting to snatch him.

Whether they were right to do it remains to be seen I guess, but I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Old
06-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
The thing with a guy like Kukumberg is that if you want him, you've got to draft him where you think you can get him. Having him drafted as high as he was shows that the Leafs obviously felt someone else was waiting to snatch him.

Whether they were right to do it remains to be seen I guess, but I don't think it's too big of a deal.
Well that is certainly true, and the way it usually works. Antropov's draft year was the same, Leafs took him because they got word others would soon after.

The Leafs scouting must be really high on Kukumberg though ..Remember the after the draft leafs TV special .. During scouting meetings NO ONE was even allowed to say his name so that even office staff could not hear it, in fear it would leak out..

The key is does the pick bring any value .. Leafs did it with Pilar a few years earlier and they got NHL games in return .. The goal being drafting NHLers so we will have to see what the future holds to judge it fairly.

I think that Kukumberg because he represents his country on the international stage that is a good sign that he is a Hockey Player and thats good .

The only thing that would be nice though for once is the leafs have lots of draft picks in a year so that you can make Kukumberg type picks without it standing out as much if you are also drafting ..

I was hoping the Leafs where going to take Evan McGrath of the Kitchener Rangers with that pick .. He had been ranked very high by CSB as a top 12 NA skater Mid-term and fell in the final rankings .. Wouldn't you know it Detroit drafted him 15 picks later in the 4th round and if people in the future say they uncovered another Zetterberg, Datsuyk later round NHLer based on good scouting then that always bugs me to no end in the future.

Then even if Kukumberg makes it he is already 25 and McGrath is 18 so length of NHL service also may factoring to the final result ..

Old
06-05-2005, 10:39 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Agreed.

Disagreed.

meh.

I see Vorobiev as a #1 defender, perhaps the best on the team.

Old
06-06-2005, 08:31 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Buy guys, just think, we just might hear:

"In the first round the Leafs select ...." someone, anyone.

And even though the league is rewarding the leeches and scumsucking dregs of the league, the competent, worthy teams that bring money to the league and actually make it possible for those bloodsucking magots to exist, have a chance to get a lottery pick.

Old
06-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Buy guys, just think, we just might hear:

"In the first round the Leafs select ...." someone, anyone.

And even though the league is rewarding the leeches and scumsucking dregs of the league, the competent, worthy teams that bring money to the league and actually make it possible for those bloodsucking magots to exist, have a chance to get a lottery pick.
What a great way to start the day ... Cup a coffee, the newspaper and then the Quote of the day as above to put you in the right frame of mind for what the day may bring..

Old
06-06-2005, 03:47 PM
bingo_vodun

Quote:
Crosby at NHL Combine

lets pray he falls to us would be great!

Closed Thread