HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie May Have Broken Ankle

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Off Center

vCash: 500
Downie May Have Broken Ankle

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...aluation-today

that's a 2+ month injury. big hole. i think you have to move malone to that line....i hesitate to use the term "physical" when describing malone anymore, but he has a better shot than someone like purcell or gagne to help protect marty & stamkos and do some of the dirty work that line needs

Old
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Yep, using the term physical with a guy leading the team in hits doesn't seem right.

Old
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
If true then it's a tough loss

Considering moving Malone to that line I think is a good idea, I don't get why some seem to bash Malone. In my eyes he is really important as we dont have many forwards like that. He hits, he works hard, he stands in front of the goal, he makes points and he seems to have a great attitude.

12-03-2010, 12:10 PM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
If true then it's a tough loss

Considering moving Malone to that line I think is a good idea, I don't get why some seem to bash Malone. In my eyes he is really important as we dont have many forwards like that. He hits, he works hard, he stands in front of the goal, he makes points and he seems to have a great attitude.
Alot of it is his contract. To me he is not living up to the big money he is getting. He does the little things well, but too streaky of a player to be consider a top notch power forward in this league.

Too bad about Downie. Will be interesting to see how this team plays now. Downie was really about the only spark the Lightning had.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
That's horrible news.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFan View Post
Alot of it is his contract. To me he is not living up to the big money he is getting. He does the little things well, but too streaky of a player to be consider a top notch power forward in this league.

Too bad about Downie. Will be interesting to see how this team plays now. Downie was really about the only spark the Lightning had.
Yep. I like to compare Malone to Mike Knuble. He's a complementary guy, not one that you build a line around.

I'd also consider Malone to be a 2-way player and not a power forward. A PF in my mind, is someone who can carry the puck to the net despite harassment that would convince most other players to get rid of it.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-03-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I thought this was common knowledge when we signed him though. I never expected him to turn into a 35 goal wannabe Eric Lindros.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I thought this was common knowledge when we signed him though. I never expected him to turn into a 35 goal wannabe Eric Lindros.
Then don't sign him to the big money. He is getting paid like a 35 goal scorer.

He was in the right place in the right time.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Maybe at the time, but based on his play with Pittsburgh the previous season (especially in the SCF) I think imaginations got carried away.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I thought he was someone that might touch 30 once in a while, but he was also shuffled all over the place and given his style of play (physical, dirty worker) hes been a bit banged up. No doubts i'd like to see him on a smaller contract, but with the salary cap I could say that about everyone on this team.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:07 PM
IdealisticSniper

The hits keep on coming. We might get Downie back in time for the big homestand in Feb.

Blah

Old
12-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I Am Beat You

My god this team is going to be soft.

Old
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
CSampson

Sucks...but at this pace lets be thankful stamkos and st. louis are healthy...god knows we depend on them. Though Stammer hasn't done his thing lately. ****.

If Vinny comes back soon then this isn't as big of a hit as it would of been last season. Our bottom 6 is decent enough to fill in.

Old
12-03-2010, 05:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Sucks...but at this pace lets be thankful stamkos and st. louis are healthy...god knows we depend on them. Though Stammer hasn't done his thing lately. ****.

If Vinny comes back soon then this isn't as big of a hit as it would of been last season. Our bottom 6 is decent enough to fill in.
I agree. We just got Gagne back and with Vinny coming back in a couple weeks, I think we can deal with it AS LONG AS nobody else is seriously injured. We could try MSL-Stammer-Malone and Gagne-Vinny-Purcell. I think that'll be fine for a while.

Old
12-03-2010, 05:40 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I agree. We just got Gagne back and with Vinny coming back in a couple weeks, I think we can deal with it AS LONG AS nobody else is seriously injured. We could try MSL-Stammer-Malone and Gagne-Vinny-Purcell. I think that'll be fine for a while.
Those lines look good. I agree, we should be ok if we stay healthy.

edit:

the lines for now-

http://www.espn1040.com/includes/blo...3&post_id=1113
Quote:
With Downie out, it opens up a spot on the top line, so how will that be filled?

“Right now we are going to spot some guys, but we are going to start with Gagne on it. Boucher Said. “We are going to keep the other lines we had before. Bergenheim with Thompson and Hall and Moore with Malone and Purcell.”

As a result of Downies injury, the Lightning have recalled Johan Harju from Norfolk.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 12-03-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old
12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Be nice if Harju brings his AHL scoring up here. He's a damn one-man army down in Norfolk. lol

Old
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
IdealisticSniper

So EE said its being called an ankle sprain. Would be huge if thats the case, but who knows really.

Old
12-03-2010, 08:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Knowing Downie, he has a glue gun and a few rolls of tape going on the foot now.

Old
12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Staalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
So EE said its being called an ankle sprain. Would be huge if thats the case, but who knows really.
ankle sprains are just as serouis or more serious than a broken ankle becuase the sprain tears the ligemants and your ankle will never be the same......a broken ankle can heal to be the same.......i still expect him out for along time

Old
12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalguy View Post
ankle sprains are just as serouis or more serious than a broken ankle becuase the sprain tears the ligemants and your ankle will never be the same......a broken ankle can heal to be the same.......i still expect him out for along time
Yeah and what if it's the dreaded "high ankle sprain" that's kept players out for 2-3 months? Not good either way.

Old
12-04-2010, 07:36 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Yeah and what if it's the dreaded "high ankle sprain" that's kept players out for 2-3 months? Not good either way.
And that it is:
Quote:
The Lightning's injury woes continued Friday with the announcement Steve Downie will be out indefinitely with a high right ankle sprain sustained Thursday against the Bruins.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...sprain/1138132

Old
12-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 729
Awards:
High ankle sprain..

Old
12-04-2010, 06:29 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...it-was-serious
Quote:
Downie is out 3-to-4 weeks with a high ankle sprain, an injury that coach Guy Boucher acknowledges can linger for longer than you anticipate.

"I didn't think it was that serious," Downie said. "I played another half of the period. ..It's definitely frustrating. We've got a pretty big road trip coming up, and I'll be at home."
Quote:
"Those are hell," Boucher said of high ankle sprains. "They usually last a while if they ever go away. You think you're okay, and then you start skating, honestly those are one of the worst things, besides rips in muscles. They last longer sometimes than fractures. Hopefully we'll cross our fingers and he's got a more minor one than we think, but it's not looking very good."

Old
12-05-2010, 10:08 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post
High ankle sprain..
B's fan, not trying to pile on. I actually like Downie quite a bit since he left PHI and seems to have turned his career and attitude around. Just wanted to agree that high ankle sprains are worse than a break. Downie is a better skater than Lucic, but they both play a physical game that is predicated on a good forecheck, and B's fans had to watch Looch deal with a high ankle sprain all last season. He was not the same player as before the injury until the second round of the playoffs. Hopefully, TB will continue to play well and not try to rush him back.

Old
12-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Not good. I broke my ankle last year and I had to stay off of it for over a month. It didnt feel normal again until a couple months later. It still feels a little different than before I broke it. Id imagine that the trainers will know what to do and he should be back before the seasons over. Dont know when though.

Closed Thread