HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

39th Obsequious Banter Thread: The Gum is Out.

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2010, 12:47 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
If Peter Laviolette was a professional wrestler, his finishing move would be the Coke-Slam.

Old
12-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I like how everytime he yells at the refs, he has to take his gum out. That's my favorite.

Old
12-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I like how everytime he yells at the refs, he has to take his gum out. That's my favorite.
Heh. "The gum is out!" could be a phrase of "Oh noes!" proportions.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:14 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Heh. "The gum is out!" could be a phrase of "Oh noes!" proportions.
The 39th OBT: The Gum is Out.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Kambo

I like it.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
The 39th OBT: The Gum is Out.
Quote:
I like it.
Exactly. Well done, Kambo!

Old
12-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Exactly. Well done, Kambo!
Happy to be of service.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:18 AM
chaosof99*

I'm now on my fifth T-Shirt of the day, because I've sweat through the previous four. Shoveling snow suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Kambo

I want snow! Send it over this way.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:42 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
Well, I didn't get the job. I'm feeling pretty sandbagged...mostly because a) it really seems like a set up for the other guy to get the job b) I truly believe that I was by far the better candidate.

I'm done venting...I'm just feeling sandbagged.
That sucks, on a similar note I found out that my company is looking to fill a position currently occupied by me, and all signs point to me being let go. **** ****in sucks.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
That sucks, on a similar note I found out that my company is looking to fill a position currently occupied by me, and all signs point to me being let go. **** ****in sucks.
Maybe they're creating another position doing the same thing. Are you super busy a lot?

Old
12-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Well, I didn't get the job. I'm feeling pretty sandbagged...mostly because a) it really seems like a set up for the other guy to get the job b) I truly believe that I was by far the better candidate.

I'm done venting...I'm just feeling sandbagged.
Alright. After careful considertion I've ascertained why I'm so choked. They filled a position for which I felt was a perfect fit for me given my experience with this facility and rinks at large. More than that is my understanding if minor and junior sports, their operations and their needs. Instead, they hired a guy that has zero background in rinks or even sports and large. He's the type of guy that looks out of place in an ice rink or weight room.

Their reasoning for why the other guy was a better candidate was also ridiculous. They cited his experience in a supervisory position and said he had more than I do. Perhaps he does in title but not in practice; he has at most supervised 15 people at once whereas I'm currently supervising 25 staff over a 7 day a week operation.

They also said I needed more practice in building strong relationships with our user groups starting from scratch or a negative place. I'm offended this in oarticular given I start ed my current position by replacing someone whom had been there for 25 years and was beaten out by me for the position. Not only did I have to deal with volatile user groups angry that i had come in, I also had to deal with a manager that had mentally checked out years ago and gave me zero support. From that I've built fantastic relationships with our user groups. For me the most telling indication will be their reaction when they hear who got the job.

The last and most offensive thing about the whole interview marking is that they tell me I didn't pass the interview. I scored 61% with 65% being the minimum score. I'll be interested to know which questions I scored zero on and why. It's that or I got 5s on everything which I find difficult to believe.

I'm meeting with HR on Monday to go over my scores. Im also meeting for informal coffee with my manager before hand. Bottom line...I really and truley feel like I got screwed over for a less experienced and qualified candidate.

Old
12-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Looks like I'm going to Charlotte to see the ACC championship! hellz yes

Old
12-03-2010, 11:36 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
I'm meeting with HR on Monday to go over my scores. Im also meeting for informal coffee with my manager before hand. Bottom line...I really and truley feel like I got screwed over for a less experienced and qualified candidate.
It sucks, but use this chance to sit with HR to find out where they feel you messed up, or where the other person shone, and ask them to suggest ways that you can improve on your scores next time.

If the other person has so little experience, he may find himself in over his head in short order.

As hard as it is to do, take the high road in all your dealings with management and HR, and if you have to deal with this new supervisor. People will notice, and management loves that ****.

Old
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It sucks, but use this chance to sit with HR to find out where they feel you messed up, or where the other person shone, and ask them to suggest ways that you can improve on your scores next time.

If the other person has so little experience, he may find himself in over his head in short order.

As hard as it is to do, take the high road in all your dealings with management and HR, and if you have to deal with this new supervisor. People will notice, and management loves that ****.
I know...and I will. It would have been one thing if this guy was super qualified but he has shown me in the last 6 months he has neither a clue nor a spine.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Kambo

Just remember, it's not his fault he was hired, so don't act irrationally toward him if you do have to work with him. I've gone through situations here when I've applied for jobs and wouldn't even so much as get a call for an interview, but had to work closely with the new person. It takes training to not be angry at them, but they were honestly just looking for a new job like you were. Just ask HR and your manager the questions without coming across as being an *******, and let them know you were disappointed. Better to look disappointed then a ****** bag.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
holy crap at this.

Buccigross Michigan and Michigan State college hockey has generated sales of more than 100,000 tickets for the Dec. 11 showdown at Michigan Stadium.
about 2 hours ago via web
Reply Retweet

100,000 for a college hockey game. thats freakin awesome.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
I want snow! Send it over this way.
Really? We're going to have this conversation already? Fine.

All you snow people are ****ed up.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Alright. After careful considertion I've ascertained why I'm so choked. They filled a position for which I felt was a perfect fit for me given my experience with this facility and rinks at large. More than that is my understanding if minor and junior sports, their operations and their needs. Instead, they hired a guy that has zero background in rinks or even sports and large. He's the type of guy that looks out of place in an ice rink or weight room.

Their reasoning for why the other guy was a better candidate was also ridiculous. They cited his experience in a supervisory position and said he had more than I do. Perhaps he does in title but not in practice; he has at most supervised 15 people at once whereas I'm currently supervising 25 staff over a 7 day a week operation.

They also said I needed more practice in building strong relationships with our user groups starting from scratch or a negative place. I'm offended this in oarticular given I start ed my current position by replacing someone whom had been there for 25 years and was beaten out by me for the position. Not only did I have to deal with volatile user groups angry that i had come in, I also had to deal with a manager that had mentally checked out years ago and gave me zero support. From that I've built fantastic relationships with our user groups. For me the most telling indication will be their reaction when they hear who got the job.

The last and most offensive thing about the whole interview marking is that they tell me I didn't pass the interview. I scored 61% with 65% being the minimum score. I'll be interested to know which questions I scored zero on and why. It's that or I got 5s on everything which I find difficult to believe.

good luck with that. sucks that you got shafted.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Really? We're going to have this conversation already? Fine.

All you snow people are ****ed up.
Already? It's December man. That stuff normally tends to happen around this time of year Plus, I'm not talking about 4 feet of snow again. I just want a few inches.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Just remember, it's not his fault he was hired, so don't act irrationally toward him if you do have to work with him. I've gone through situations here when I've applied for jobs and wouldn't even so much as get a call for an interview, but had to work closely with the new person. It takes training to not be angry at them, but they were honestly just looking for a new job like you were. Just ask HR and your manager the questions without coming across as being an *******, and let them know you were disappointed. Better to look disappointed then a ****** bag.
I know it's not his fault. I went through the same thing last year when I replaced the person whom had been here for 25 years. Its not his fault, he just applied for a job.

What the most disappointing thing is I really do not see how he is even close to qualified for the position. Maybe I say **** it and go do an MBA.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Kambo

Quote:
I know it's not his fault. I went through the same thing last year when I replaced the person whom had been here for 25 years. Its not his fault, he just applied for a job.

What the most disappointing thing is I really do not see how he is even close to qualified for the position. Maybe I say **** it and go do an MBA.
You could always just keep looking around for similar jobs and see how it goes. If you get one, as soon as you let your current company know it, that's when they realize how valuable you are. I was waiting to have that conversation with my GM. Sadly, I'm in your boat and didn't get the position.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Ri hards

I am actively on the search again. No brash actions planned here. I don't think I've ever been this jaded about the workplace as I am now.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Already? It's December man. That stuff normally tends to happen around this time of year Plus, I'm not talking about 4 feet of snow again. I just want a few inches.
O RLY?

Old
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
It's just December. I need time!

Closed Thread