HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov, SEASON DONE!

Old
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
I think the Habs will give him the opportunity to play another season at about the same money and I think both will agree on a 1 year deal.. Its sad.. Markov is becoming Koivu #2, overpaid injury prone.. At some point Markov will have to make his mark in playoffs, what he never did.. Next year will be his last chance since there are some high quality defensemen avalaible on the UFA market for the next 2 years.. I hope we can sign Emelin this summer so he can have Markov as mentor for at least one year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
This. Campoli is a terrible defenseman.
I mean seriously, you have to question if someone understands hockey when they'd rather have Chris Campoli over Andrei Markov, in any health condition.

I understand that Markov's knee is a concern, but it's 2010...not 1985! There's NO REASON to think Markov, especially considering how serious he takes his profession, can't come back at 100% and even then, a Markov at 80% is 100x's the defensman that Chris Campoli is.

I can't even believe we're discussing this...Chris Campoli? The same guy who couldn't nail down a spot on the New York Islanders defense? The same guy who is part of one of the worst defensive squads in the NHL right now?

I'm shocked by the lack of loyalty shown by Habs fans towards Markov...actually, i'm not shocked, the fickleness has become quite common amongst Habs fans.

I'm not worried one bit that the Habs are going to re-sign Markov...anyone who thinks they won't, just don't know how the Montreal Canadiens organization operates.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
someone photoshoped a Markov face on The Expandable's dvd cover yet?

Now that is a good idea, there you go:

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:02 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I mean seriously, you have to question if someone understands hockey when they'd rather have Chris Campoli over Andrei Markov, in any health condition.

I understand that Markov's knee is a concern, but it's 2010...not 1985! There's NO REASON to think Markov, especially considering how serious he takes his profession, can't come back at 100% and even then, a Markov at 80% is 100x's the defensman that Chris Campoli is.

I can't even believe we're discussing this...Chris Campoli? The same guy who couldn't nail down a spot on the New York Islanders defense? The same guy who is part of one of the worst defensive squads in the NHL right now?

I'm shocked by the lack of loyalty shown by Habs fans towards Markov...actually, i'm not shocked, the fickleness has become quite common amongst Habs fans.

I'm not worried one bit that the Habs are going to re-sign Markov...anyone who thinks they won't, just don't know how the Montreal Canadiens organization operates.
For the rest of us, I think the biggest question mark is the length and term of the contract. What do you think is a fair offer and one that Markov would likely take (in your opinion).

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:07 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
For the rest of us, I think the biggest question mark is the length and term of the contract. What do you think is a fair offer and one that Markov would likely take (in your opinion).
We can give Markov a long term contract. Each year he will get a base salary of 3-3.5M + bonus that can allo him to get another 2-2.5M.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know...tough call, but I do think they are going to re-sign him. Both parties are goign to have to meet each other halfway, Markov's camp is going to have to realize that he's missed alot of time the last few years and because of that, won't be able to secure the long term/big money deal he was most likely in line to receive before...

while the Montreal Canadiens camp is going to have to realize that low-balling Markov because of an injury is just going to make negotiations more difficult and it might allow another team to swoop in and pick up a great player at great value.

It's going to have to be give and take on both sides...habs have to show faith in Markov and Markov has to show faith in Habs. What the numbers will look like, I have no idea...

But I do know that low balling or walking away from an important player like Markov sends a VERY bad message to the rest of your team and perspective free agents about how you handle and take care of your players.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:11 PM
PyrettaBlaze

I'd give Markov a 1 year/$3.5-4M. If he goes back to the old Markov, re-sign him again to a longterm contract, if he gets injured again, then let him walk.

12-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'd give Markov a 1 year/$3.5-4M. If he goes back to the old Markov, re-sign him again to a longterm contract, if he gets injured again, then let him walk.

what if he gets injured again in the last game of the season after putting up a Norris trophy caliber season...do you still let him walk?

Old
12-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.

Marky, get well soon!!!

Gotta admit though, this is tiring. We've been doing this for 3 years now. The guy just cant take a break. So injury-prone. (Though Im not actually looking forward to this but) it'll be interesting to see what the organization's plans for him.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Belso

Quote:
I dont think this is unreasonable. Koivu would sign one year deals during Markov's tenure, so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
m00ks

Quote:
I don't know...tough call, but I do think they are going to re-sign him. Both parties are goign to have to meet each other halfway, Markov's camp is going to have to realize that he's missed alot of time the last few years and because of that, won't be able to secure the long term/big money deal he was most likely in line to receive before...

while the Montreal Canadiens camp is going to have to realize that low-balling Markov because of an injury is just going to make negotiations more difficult and it might allow another team to swoop in and pick up a great player at great value.

It's going to have to be give and take on both sides...habs have to show faith in Markov and Markov has to show faith in Habs. What the numbers will look like, I have no idea...

But I do know that low balling or walking away from an important player like Markov sends a VERY bad message to the rest of your team and perspective free agents about how you handle and take care of your players.
You know, at first thought, it may seems unlikely that he'll get good, lengthy offers but Carbo raised a good point yesterday that despite the 2 surgeries, there will likely be a GM willing to pony up good money and term come July 1st due to Markov's caliber. I mean the general consensus was that Gaborik was made off glass yet he still cashed in and got a 5 year deal.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Rutabaga

A 1 year contract is a pipe dream.
Its absolutely sure that in a concurrential world like the NHL is, somebody will offer him at least 2 years. At least. I believe that a team like the Lightning, the Sabres or the Blues, could (should) take the gamble.

Moneywise, we should have some leverage, though, if we offer him a contract early or show that we are ready to take the gamble with his knee etc...

Something like 3 years with a cap hit between 4 and 5M$ should be ok right now.

Worse, the UFA options are not likely to help us. Few players will be there, but in 2011 or 2012, no one on the market (i dont count Lidström as he will stay in Detroit or retire) is better than Markov.
Only two or three guys might play to a very good level, close to his, but expecting this is not a good thing to do.

Even injured, finding a player of his caliber on the market is so unlikely that you will have to overpay to get him.
Remember Gaborik ? Edit : Well, Mooks remembered it too.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Belso

Quote:
You know, at first thought, it may seems unlikely that he'll get good, lengthy offers but Carbo raised a good point yesterday that despite the 2 surgeries, there will likely be a GM willing to pony up good money and term come July 1st due to Markov's caliber. I mean the general consensus was that Gaborik was made off glass yet he still cashed in and got a 5 year deal.
I think that Markov, like Plekanec, like playing in Montreal and from what I know of Markov, he doesn't like change much. Montreal also has a good core of players and some good prospects. I don't see why Markov wouldn't want another go at a cup in Montreal before playing elsewhere. So I expect Markov to be the one to be softer at negotiations.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:

what if he gets injured again in the last game of the season after putting up a Norris trophy caliber season...do you still let him walk?
Give me a break. Stop nitpicking.

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Peter Puck

Markov's injury plagued two years will make him eligible for one year contract based on bonuses. I am pretty sure this is the way the Habs and Markov will go --- he'll sign a one year bonus laden contract next year.

Peter Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Give me a break. Stop nitpicking.
it's an honest question...

Old
12-03-2010, 10:00 PM
BLONG7

Markov must be re-signed...details to follow...the Habs will want to keep him for sure, and he wants to stay...everyone relax...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Et le But

Quote:
The same team that took a gamble on Gaborik made Scott Gomez one of the highest paid players in the league. Copying the Rangers is not a good idea.

If someone like Sather whose team is a lost cause wants to gamble on giving Markov a tempting contract, we have to let him go. Hopefully we can work out a one year deal or a two year one at a discount. I'd hate to see Markov's career in Montreal end this way but he's a huge risk right now and we can't do whatever it takes to bring him back.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Absolutely love Markov and really enjoy watching him play, though, I don't like watching the Habs much, lol. He's a great player and losing him is a blow to the team, sorry guys.

12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Markov is done for the season no big surprise there he hasn't really on the team the last two seasons just sitting in the press box thinking about his money. It's time to let him go because he isn't reliable anymore and is made of glass. For everyone wanting another forward how about somebody to replace Gill for a regular shift and just have Hal out there killing penalties. He is just too damn slow and it seems he is getting slower each and every game

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

5 years, 4.5-5 per year.

He'll get even more than that from other teams but I think this is good value for both sides and that Markov will choose to remain a Hab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Markov is done for the season no big surprise there he hasn't really on the team the last two seasons just sitting in the press box thinking about his money. It's time to let him go because he isn't reliable anymore and is made of glass. For everyone wanting another forward how about somebody to replace Gill for a regular shift and just have Hal out there killing penalties. He is just too damn slow and it seems he is getting slower each and every game
We're talking about the same Markov right?

Last edited by habsprospects: 12-04-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
5 years, 4.5-5 per year.

He'll get even more than that from other teams but I think this is good value for both sides and that Markov will choose to remain a Hab.
Not a chance he gets a five year deal from Montreal or anybody else

Old
12-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Not a chance he gets a five year deal from Montreal or anybody else
Keep thinking that. What did Gaborik get again?

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I knew his season was over the second it happened. So did he. So did the team, and so did anybody who wasn't kidding themselves.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Keep thinking that. What did Gaborik get again?
Gaborik plays more than 10 games a year sorry but Markov will never be the same again maybe Gauthier can do a sign and trade to try and get something for him