HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Goalie Talk: "Good chance Roloson might return in 2011/12!" (DC)

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2010, 12:52 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
any interest in J.S. Giguere at the deadline? will probably only cost you future considerations.
Yep.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
TBLHoser

Stevie Y gave the impression that nothing's going to be happening anytime soon with the goalies other than they need to play better (duh) so I guess we're stuck with what we have which I figured as much...

Old
12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I know what we're dealing with right now, and I know all thats been said by people but I have one question.

Can this really continue? Can we continue to have numbers as bad as this, is this a phase at least one of the goaltenders is having and will break through? These numbers can't be sustainable, can they? Its like we're discussing James Shields home run rates all over again.
James Shields immediately comes into to mind when I think of Mike Smith. He gets chance after chance and gets shelled, but when every once in a blue moon he performs, he gets over-rewarded. At least Smith doesn't place the blame on everyone else though.

I know both goalies are at their worst statistically, but Smith is done. I personally think Ellis is a decent goalie, and he's having an off year so far. That's not to say I don't want a goalie right friggin now, but I still have some confidence in Ellis.

Old
12-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

The issue that I see with trading picks for a goalie is that there's a shortage of quality goalies ATM, and the draft class for this year has been projected as a pretty bad one.

Those factors don't equal a very good chance of getting us a goalie for X-mas, at least by those means.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old
12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
James Shields immediately comes into to mind when I think of Mike Smith. He gets chance after chance and gets shelled, but when every once in a blue moon he performs, he gets over-rewarded. At least Smith doesn't place the blame on everyone else though.

I know both goalies are at their worst statistically, but Smith is done. I personally think Ellis is a decent goalie, and he's having an off year so far. That's not to say I don't want a goalie right friggin now, but I still have some confidence in Ellis.
Although Shields strung together a few great seasons before having HR rate problems this past season. As for the confidence, yeah... I have some confidence in him at the moment and thats about it.

Old
12-03-2010, 03:53 PM
finnishsuperstars*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
any interest in J.S. Giguere at the deadline? will probably only cost you future considerations.
890sv%, 6mill+ cap hit, terrible lateral movement.

Old
12-03-2010, 04:10 PM
CSampson

I guess the question is if Stevie wants to sacrifice a bit now to make the playoffs or if he holds onto assets and takes a big risk in keeping this tandem. Personally, while no one considers us a contender, I really feel like making the playoffs is a must. I'd aquire a goalie and if the conditions are right, move that 1st rounder.

Old
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
LOL! Get us a real #1? You guys do realize that we have Mike ****ing Smith right?

We need scoring help, not goaltending.

Old
12-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
LOL! Get us a real #1? You guys do realize that we have Mike ****ing Smith right?

We need scoring help, not goaltending.
Forgot the

Old
12-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Rschmitz

I think this thread is missing the mark. We DON'T need a #1 goaltender, we just need somebody better than Smith.

Old
12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Florida needs to trade T-VO and right now, there are no other teams that fit into a trade for him. The problem is that they want goal scoring back, so we'd have to at least part with someone like Purcell+, which I would be okay with. Smith, Purcell and 2nd round pick for Vokoun?

Old
12-03-2010, 04:35 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Do we still have the rights to Koshechkin? At least at 6' 7"" 231 lbs he fill more of the net.
We do still have his rights and we can sign him this offseason. He didn't sign this past offseason because his salary would be limited and he would have to sign an entry level contract. This offseason he has more freedom to negotiate for whatever he wants to talk about.

I wouldn't sign him as our number 1 though. It'd be risky for a guy who's never played in the NHL before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
I agree that most likely we won't see any movement on the G position this season. But I sure hope we will. I don't mind Ellis as a backup goalie, he had several strong games but clearly he's not a 50+ games starter.

Smith cares more about playing the puck than actual netminding. And we thought he had not enough confidence but in reality he has too much and still doesn't get it, it seems. All he does is kill the team's momentum, confidence and motivation.

I mean, how does it feel when you outwork, outshoot, outhustle and outplay your opponent almost every game but in the end you lose anyways - unless you score 5+ goals to compensate for the 4 soft goals let in. Wasn't developing the team's confidence one of Yzerman's big goals before the season? If that's still the case, take action and remove the confidence-killer already. This is far beyond "ah come on, he had a bad night". In 15 games he had 2 solid games. That's 13.3%. Ellis was good in at least half of his games.

At least get one of Tik or Desjardins a chance to breathe NHL air instead of Smith who will be gone after the season at the latest anyways.

Edit: What makes things even worse is that Smitty is a real nice guy. If only he played like he used to...
Yeah this hurts the most. He's a good guy. He's a completely different goalie then he was from the first half of the 2008-09 season before the concussion. He was a vocal leader when we lacked character, he was confident, and he used to be the only person on the team that kept us alive in games. He would stand on his head and win games for us. Now he's the reason we are losing some of these games.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1135999.ece
Quote:
True, but there also has been a subtle shift in Smith's attitude that perhaps began two weeks ago with an observation by teammate and friend Marty St. Louis.

"He's like, 'Where's that Smitty we know and love?' " Smith said. " 'You had that swagger. You were playing the puck. You can tell the confidence you had.' "

"You see a guy who is down, you try to pick him up a bit and put things in perspective and to not forget he's a pretty good goalie," St. Louis said. "Just an everyday talk with a teammate."
It's sad.

Old
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Can we persuade Ken Dryden to leave Parliament and be our goaltender?

Old
12-03-2010, 08:10 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Vokoun for 1st round pick, good prospect, salary dump
Vokoun would make me think long and hard about parting with one of our upper-tier forward prospects. Ultimately, what I think I'd be comfortable with is packaging one Harju and Ashton with a conditional pick (2011 3rd-rounder becomes choice of 2011 or 2012 1st-rounder if Vokoun re-signs with Tampa) and Mike Smith.

Now, I know the idea of trading Ashton may not sit well with you, but but he may very well be expendable as Malone may very well be on this team for the duration of his contract (through 2014-2015) since he possesses a NMC for the next several seasons and then a limited NTC. I'd love to see Ashton play in Tampa, but with Connolly, Panik and Harju (who's probably a full-time NHLer next season) still in the stable and three years before the top-6 will truly need one its young studs to crack the top-6, the Lightning can realistically afford to part with him.

Old
12-03-2010, 08:18 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Florida needs to trade T-VO and right now, there are no other teams that fit into a trade for him. The problem is that they want goal scoring back, so we'd have to at least part with someone like Purcell+, which I would be okay with. Smith, Purcell and 2nd round pick for Vokoun?
I like what Purcell brings to the table now and for the next couple years, but at or near the trade deadline, I would do that without hesitation.

Essentially converting Jeff Halpern into Tomas Vokoun is excellent asset management.

Old
12-03-2010, 08:29 PM
IdealisticSniper

Ok so heres the list of potential guys to bring in. They are in no particular order. Feel free to add anyone you may think of that I didnt.

Vokoun
Giguere
Roloson
Bernier
Schneider

Who else?

Old
12-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I'll add some lesser quality but decent names that would be an upgrade over Smith.

Leighton
Boucher
Raycroft
Clemmensson
Biron
Garon
Elliott
Johnson

Old
12-03-2010, 09:13 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I still stand by Roloson being the most available and cost effective.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I still stand by Roloson being the most available and cost effective.
I would agree. But Vokoun is an interesting case. I really think FL will look to move him sometime this year if they dont plan on resigning him to the big bucks, which I dont think they do.

If thats the case, considering we are one of the few teams who would be in the market for him. I would give up some good stuff if we can be assured of resigning him for at least another year or two.

I would do a conditional 1st round pick for him plus a lesser prospect. Conditional based on either him resigning or us going to the ECF or something along those lines.

Old
12-04-2010, 02:17 AM
gobolt7

There is a very specific plan in place here on how to rebuild this thing. What that plan does not include is giving up the assets necessary to acquire some of the names that have been listed in this thread. Its just not going to happen. And we dont even have any Matt Walkers to pawn off on anyone. This is just the reality of the position this team is in.

I think some of you need to get used to the idea that this is what we have and this is what we are going to have to roll with, because right now, there is no real answer in sight.

Old
12-04-2010, 03:15 AM
garmonbozia

I bet things would be better if we had an enforcer...in our netz...(not) stopping their pucks. If he beat the snot out of everybody that scored on him they'd think twice before trying to do it again!

I know, I know..solving too many problems with one simpleminded solution.

On the realistic front, I think we're largely stuck with what we've got this year as well. I hope we'd try to acquire someone around the trade deadline if the teams still on a similar pace but with a few more embarrassing lopsided laughers tossed in for inconsistencies sake. If they fall off the current pace I'd love to see one of Norfolk's goalies get called up for some spot duty behind Ellis the rest of the way.

However it all shakes out, any 'specific plan in place on how to rebuild this thing' needs to be somewhat flexible to account for the unexpectable..especially as pertains the teams successful turn around so far this year. It IS possible to make trades that improve the team/goaltending without entirley forsaking 'the plan'.

Old
12-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Somebody who can fake T-Vo's voice needs to call up Dale Tallon and demand a trade to Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
I like what Purcell brings to the table now and for the next couple years, but at or near the trade deadline, I would do that without hesitation.

Essentially converting Jeff Halpern into Tomas Vokoun is excellent asset management.
Wouldn't it really be Brad Richards into Vokoun?

Old
12-04-2010, 08:19 AM
LetangInTheSO

Pens fan here.

I've watched a ton of Bolts games this year and man have they been fun to watch.

I'm usually very hesitant to blame a team's woes on a goalie, but man it can be frustrating watching the Bolts sometimes...there have been many nights this season when the Bolts are well-positioned to win a hockey game (i.e outshooting their opponents by a fair margin and putting up 3-4 goals on the scoreboard) yet they lose thanks to 2-3 softies.

IMO, the Bolts are one average-goaltender away from a pretty being a pretty serious threat (granted, the East boasts a few teams that are very deep top-to-bottom).

If Yzerman isn't at least poking around / sending out feelers regarding the availability of a few goaltenders, then he's not doing hsi job. Somehow I suspect Yzerman is doing his job.

Old
12-04-2010, 08:20 AM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I would agree. But Vokoun is an interesting case. I really think FL will look to move him sometime this year if they dont plan on resigning him to the big bucks, which I dont think they do.

If thats the case, considering we are one of the few teams who would be in the market for him. I would give up some good stuff if we can be assured of resigning him for at least another year or two.

I would do a conditional 1st round pick for him plus a lesser prospect. Conditional based on either him resigning or us going to the ECF or something along those lines.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:47 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I sent out a feeler to a buddy, we chatted and came up with two ideas. So I present two options for Vokoun (pure speculation that I hope becomes real) 1) Purcell and Panik or 2) Malone straight up. Which would you guys prefer to trade? I'd have to go with option 1 at this point.

I think there's a chance they'd demand a little more like Purcell and Ashton or Purcell and Wishart but would relent if we tossed in a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Closed Thread