Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hiller's Performance Discussion

Old
12-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Chexxum

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Chexxum
I think Francois Allaire leaving might have something to do with it. Hiller's been playing really deep this season, something Allaire would note and fix right away. If he starts pushing up on point shots so he's on top of the crease, he'll cut the angle so even if the shot is deflected, it'll hit him in the chest. A good example would be Howard from tonight's game. He was routinely out of the crease on point shots, pushing up and into the shot as it was coming.

Chexxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Unholy
waifu

Burke stole our goalie coach

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Duck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Burke stole our goalie coach
He also offered Babcock a one year take it or leave it contract. That was really a great move- ha ha!

Babcock was by far our best coach and now he's with the Red Wings.

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Papaspud
upsetting the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexxum View Post
I think Francois Allaire leaving might have something to do with it. Hiller's been playing really deep this season, something Allaire would note and fix right away. If he starts pushing up on point shots so he's on top of the crease, he'll cut the angle so even if the shot is deflected, it'll hit him in the chest. A good example would be Howard from tonight's game. He was routinely out of the crease on point shots, pushing up and into the shot as it was coming.
That's something that happens subconsciously, as you(as the goalie) lose faith in your Dmen. When you come out and challenge a shooter, your D need to protect the passing around /deflected shot opportunities. If they don't do that....or the goalie doesn't feel like they will, he'll start to play deeper and deeper in net. One of the reasons playing mass amounts of pick-up hockey with people who don't give a damn about playing D, just scoring, hurts a goalie's game.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:52 AM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

I think Hiller needs to go home, hop in the lazy boy, and pop in a few Olympic games VHS's and channel some of that into his regular season play. Or just not give up such soft rebounds.

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:59 AM
POUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hockeystatic X View Post
He's been overrated since the playoffs two years ago. Great first save goalie, awful at rebound control and puck tracking, questionable positioning. I hate him, but he's not as bad as I'd have you believe he is. Still, I haven't trusted a goalie less than I trust him since Steve Shields.
I totally agree with you on this. He's far overrated. He had one good playoff run and now he's part of Anaheim's "Core"? Pfff. His style of play just drives me insane. As critical as I can be on Hiller, I don't dislike him. It's just... he drives me insane.''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
That's something that happens subconsciously, as you(as the goalie) lose faith in your Dmen. When you come out and challenge a shooter, your D need to protect the passing around /deflected shot opportunities. If they don't do that....or the goalie doesn't feel like they will, he'll start to play deeper and deeper in net. One of the reasons playing mass amounts of pick-up hockey with people who don't give a damn about playing D, just scoring, hurts a goalie's game.
Um, no. I've seen Hiller play the same game in 09 with Pronger and Niedermayer. The go down low early and never go out and challenge a shooter from the top of the crease. Like tonight's game, Howard was riding the top of the crease with point shots. I ****ing love that!

Hillers game resembles very little of Jiggy's (aside from butterfly), so Allaire had to be teaching him something different. Something beneficial to his style of play.

POUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:39 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

I'd be interested to see what Bobkov can bring to the table in a couple of years.

From what I've been reading and seen a little, a big presence in net, maybe could challenge for the number 1 if he gets some solid game time in juniors

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUM View Post
I totally agree with you on this. He's far overrated. He had one good playoff run and now he's part of Anaheim's "Core"? Pfff. His style of play just drives me insane. As critical as I can be on Hiller, I don't dislike him. It's just... he drives me insane.''

Um, no. I've seen Hiller play the same game in 09 with Pronger and Niedermayer. The go down low early and never go out and challenge a shooter from the top of the crease. Like tonight's game, Howard was riding the top of the crease with point shots. I ****ing love that!

Hillers game resembles very little of Jiggy's (aside from butterfly), so Allaire had to be teaching him something different. Something beneficial to his style of play.
This part is a joke right? They play almost identical styles, but Giggy is better at positioning and rebound control while Hiller I feel is a better athlete which leads him to make more spectacular saves.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 12-04-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUM View Post
I totally agree with you on this. He's far overrated. He had one good playoff run and now he's part of Anaheim's "Core"?
Yeah, we realize your Location is LA, and now go away, troll!
You better watched your Kings a week ago when they got robbed by an insane Hiller performance.

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
parrosfan16

I believe we play him to much. We have a competent Mcbackup, we really need to be playing him more.

parrosfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
swissexpert

Hiller's problem is to let the wrong shots go in. If you look at the nhl.com highlight videos from the DET game, there are 3 which all are goals with an "normal" goaltender in the net. But then again, he let in 1-2 softies and everybody starts to complain...
4 GA in this game with that high scoring chances from the Wings is a good number!
I agree with you that this season wasn't his best so far, but calling him overrated is just totally wrong.
He was a top 10 goaltender since he entered the league, I'd even call him underrated!

And to quote an interview with Patrick Sharp:

Quote:
TSN: Toughest goalie in the NHL for you to score on?

Sharp: Lundqvist in the east, and Jonas Hiller from Anaheim in the west.

TSN: Why Hiller?

Sharp: He never gives up on a play. He catches with the other hand, and that makes it tough for me as a shooter. I have scored on him, but every time I see him in there, I always get a little nervous.

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrosfan16 View Post
I believe we play him to much. We have a competent Mcbackup, we really need to be playing him more.
Yep 100% agree.

Big Mac has played some pretty awesome games this season when used, no harm giving him some starts so Hiller can rest up, ideally Hiller will only play between 55-60 games a season IMO anyway

Old
12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

I agree he should be player less, but I hope people arent insinuating that RC shouldn't have started him against Detroit.

Old
12-04-2010, 01:11 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

The guy is always out of position. I've never seen so many wrap around attempts made on one goalie. Someone also needs to show him how to catch the puck more often instead of batting it out of the air. This always leads to big rebounds which is his problem. He's a great goalie, but he can be better. Maybe we need a new goalie consultant.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
FireBobMurray

Hiller hasn't played his best this year, but who has? Mediocrity rubs off on everyone.
My main problem with Hiller is that the guy rarely uses his goal stick. He lets in a fair amount of 5-hole shots and where is his stick blade? It's flopped over his left leg pad. He has let in some softies this year but that is this team's theme : soft. I hope nobody thinks Hiller is to blame for our loss last night or any losses really. We have terrible team D.

FireBobMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBobMurray View Post
Hiller hasn't played his best this year, but who has? Mediocrity rubs off on everyone.
My main problem with Hiller is that the guy rarely uses his goal stick. He lets in a fair amount of 5-hole shots and where is his stick blade? It's flopped over his left leg pad. He has let in some softies this year but that is this team's theme : soft. I hope nobody thinks Hiller is to blame for our loss last night or any losses really. We have terrible team D.
It's not about being to blame. There are plenty of players who have boned things this season, and consistently so. It's that he isn't good as he needs to be, or as good as we hoped he would be. I don't think it's enough to make some great saves in a span. You need to not give up the soft goals too.

I think it's one thing when you're having goals scored against you because the D in front of you is turning over the puck, or just not helping you out. It's quite another when you're giving up bad angle shots, wraparounds, and shots from the point that just shouldn't be going in. The former is clearly a blue line issue, and he's definitely had to deal with that this season. The latter, though? That's not defense. Those are low percentage shots, and those are the kinds of shots that players are taught to allow, because you have to trust your goalie to make those saves.

I'm with some of the others. Since 09, I think Hiller has been overrated by us, and I don't think it's a coincidence that his game looks like it has taken a hit since we stopped having one of the best blue lines in the league. His style certainly hasn't changed. I just think the mistakes he's making are more obvious when he doesn't have Niedermayer and Pronger in front of him, and the workload is probably too much for him.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 07:20 PM
fyrescorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Yeah, we realize your Location is LA, and now go away, troll!
You better watched your Kings a week ago when they got robbed by an insane Hiller performance.
As a Kings fan (sorry) I have to agree, Hiller was lights out against us. I've watched a few Ducks games this year and the problem doesn't seem to be Hiller. I was also surprised how well your defense played against the Kings.

You can't win if you don't score (duh). Your team seems to have hit a bump in the road but it will turn around. It's amazing how the *****ing stops when you win and everyone becomes an expert when your team loses. I agree with Patrick Sharp, I think Hiller can carry a game as well as any goalie. The Ducks and the Yotes are actually the 2 teams that make me the most nervous when playing LA.

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Theridion

Hiller needs to give up less rebounds and challenge shooters and keep his stick down.

If he did that, I still think our record is about the same as it is now, maybe an extra couple points.

We need scoring, we need urgency from our skaters, and our stars need to stop floating.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

While Hiller isn't carrying us, it's not like he is costing us games. Is it just me or does it seem like we never score first?

Old
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
bumperkisser

we need to play mcbackup more imo.. no point playing him so little.. hes been solid when hes played.. imo mcelhinney should play against edmonton and hillsy against van

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 03:36 AM
TheNextOneX

All Hail Hiller, the guy in front better do their job to clean the puck up front and Hiller will excel as simple as that!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Unholy
waifu

Two games in a row where the players in front of him get nothing on the board and then the Hiller thread gets activity again, classic

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Lussier

What a game by hillsy
What a great performance against the bruins

Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Mooseduck

Hiller looked better against the Coyotes tonight.
Hope he keeps up the good work.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:20 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Another great game by Hiller. Really stepped up after the last game.